Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-13-2019, 4:39 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

Default Chiappa or Winchester lever

I am in the market for a 1892 lever in .45LC. 20” barrel and takedown

I see on gunbroker quite a few. The Winchester’s are Miroku of course, and I read they are not original internally. That actually does not matter to me but I am looking for reliability and more parts seem less reliable to me. Also the rear sight is dovetailed in. The Chiappa’s have a comment that they are original design internally so fewer parts and the rear sight is held on by screws. So Skinner sights have a peep sight with rail that mounts on it. They only have a peep sight for the dovetailed Winchester

There are other things like blued vs case hardened receivers. But that is minor.

Which is better ? I have a Winchester on watch on gunbroker and Taylor’s has new chiappa’s for $100 more than the used Winchester

My plan is a brush gun and as I am getting old a scout scope may need to be installed in a few years, it appears not possible on the Winchester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 4:52 PM

Maybe a browning? I personally would look for a Rossi, very affordable and great leverguns
Old 02-13-2019, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I just picked up a Whinchester 92 short rifle in 45 Colt. It's a well made gun. I think Buds had it for $859.98. It was hard to pass up this gun at that price.

I haven't shot it yet, so no range report.

Edit for correct price
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/90572/winchester+534162141+1892+short+lever+45+colt+20"+ 10%2b1+

Chiappa take down
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...e+down+oct+bbl

Chiappa Trapper
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...2+trapper+45lc

Chiappa short rifle
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792195086

Ever since I purchased my Taylor's n Company Smoke Wagon, I've been a fan (Smoke wagon is a Uberti) they import the most beautiful guns, IMO
https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long...octagonal.html

I really like the short rifles. This last one is a beauty..

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun

Last edited by golfish; 02-13-2019 at 7:52 PM..
Old 02-13-2019, 4:58 PM

Takedowns are the way to go but gotta have deep pockets.
I’m also in the same boat on buying a 357 lever action.
I’m thinking on the Chiappa Alaska.

Last edited by SVGUY; 02-13-2019 at 5:00 PM..
Old 02-13-2019, 4:59 PM

I have both and I don’t care as much for the Winchester mirokus as much as the Browning’s. I would buy another Chiappa in a heartbeat.

Kind of like Bruce Jenner, but the rifle still has a bolt.
Old 02-13-2019, 5:01 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

I have not seen a Browning in takedown. Going to look around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 5:08 PM

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...ch-barrel.html
Old 02-13-2019, 5:39 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

I don't think any of those BLR take-downs are revolver-caliber, one of the big reasons to shoot a lever carbine and use one as a brush gun.

If I want to shoot spitzers*, I'll use a bolt action. That .308 BLR takedown is heavy unless you go for the Lightweight version and I don't know how much more that costs.

*The name 'spitzer' is an anglicized form of the German word Spitzgeschoss, literally meaning "pointy bullet". The development of spitzer bullets made military doctrines possible which expected rifle volleys at area targets at ranges up to 800 to 1,000 m.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-13-2019, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I have both and I don’t care as much for the Winchester mirokus as much as the Browning’s. I would buy another Chiappa in a heartbeat.
Does Browning make a model 92 in 45 colt?

What I like about the Chiappa’s is that they have no lawyer safety's. The Rossi's have two of them and Whinchester has one. I'd guess that this is what you mean about the extra parts.

I was lucky to get my hands on a like new ca 1975 Winchester 94/22, and I have a 30-30 1894, I had to have a Winchester 92.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy which every model you get.

Happiness is a warm gun

Last edited by golfish; 02-13-2019 at 8:03 PM..
Old 02-14-2019, 8:20 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Having just looked at Browning's current website layout, there is no present rifle offering in an 1892.

Aafaik As far as I can recall, their B92s were available in either .357 Magnum (WANT!) or .44 Magnum (have).

I'd go the new Miroku Winchester route, just like my buddy golfish has. He sucks.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A

Last edited by 200Apples; 02-14-2019 at 8:37 AM.. Reason: d'oh
Old 02-15-2019, 8:34 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys, I am leaning away from the Winchester and towards a Chiappa by Taylor's, its more expensive since its new vs. used but they sell a peep sight with a rail so I have all the options for the future. And no one said anything really bad about the Chiappa
Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
Thanks guys, I am leaning away from the Winchester and towards a Chiappa by Taylor's, its more expensive since its new vs. used but they sell a peep sight with a rail so I have all the options for the future. And no one said anything really bad about the Chiappa
Looking forward to a range report

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-15-2019, 4:32 PM

I have a Chiappa version of the model 92 as a takedown in .38-40. It is a nice and well made rifle. I do not like the sights though.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-15-2019, 5:04 PM

i have the chiappa .357 alaskan takedown and a marlin and the chip kicks its .;';.'
Old 02-19-2019, 3:02 PM

that .223 Browning looks interesting but not at that price. That's more than my 1895 Winchester/Miroku in -06 is worth.
and that bolt looks pretty long for that short case. I'm willing to bet that is a picture of a .308

I plead the 2nd.
Old 02-20-2019, 9:45 PM

I have 2 Winchester 92's and 5 Marlin 94's, but 0 Chiappas.

If you want a more faithful replica, Chiappa all the way. The Chiappas often come with gorgeous wood. I think they are very nice. They also have no external safety, and a half-cock that the Winchester/Miroku does not.

However...

If it were my money, I'd get the Winchester. The fit/finish of the Winchester, from the complaints I have read, seems to be higher grade. Miroku makes some world class guns. The only demerits against the Miroku is the rebounding hammer and tang safety. Extra parts, yes.

Again, I have 2. I have put hundreds of rounds through them and I have not had a problem, except for some S&B ammo that was hard to chamber. You will not get as good of a cowboy action job on them as a more faithful gun like the Chiappa.