Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-10-2019, 2:53 PM

Default ACOG

ACOG really worth the price ?

Thinking aboutgetting one

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 02-10-2019, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Not really. For $1200 or so there are a lot of better LPVO options out there.
Old 02-10-2019, 3:21 PM

Try before you buy, also if you don’t mind used sometimes they sell for around $800 on the forums here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2019, 3:21 PM

Depends. I'm not a paper puncher, so for me it is. I'm sure bench rest guys who like to punch paper all day like higher magnification and options. I'm more of an off hand shooter and practice hitting multiple targets at different ranges. The ACOG is great in that role.
Old 02-10-2019, 3:41 PM

No other prism scope will illuminate without battery power, so it's up to you how important that is. Otherwise, the sig bravo4 and elcan 4x are probably just as good and cheaper. I think the odds of your battery dying in a shtf combat situation is pretty low but who knows. Even if it does die, you still have an etched reticle to use to aim until you can pop a new battery in there.
Old 02-10-2019, 4:18 PM

ACOGs are are great, I love mine, depends what you want to do with it. With our current military battles a variable is what the shift has taken. 1-6, 1-8 coming out at an alarming rate to meet the demands.

Personally I like the ACOG, i do use a red dot as well for CQB stuff. But the old ACOG does fine out to 400 yards and beyond...

Check one out and see if you like it

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 02-10-2019, 5:17 PM

Any feedback on the Primary arms ones?

I like the acss reticle design. Simplified ranging, although not sure of civilian use out with varmits or plinking.

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 02-10-2019, 5:41 PM

I got my ACOG ta 33 here in the marketplace that was like new (under a year old) for 650$, I always wanted one after carrying one in the Marines back in the 90's but couldn't justify the price. Look around and be patient and you can get one around half price. Just be sure you know the manufacturer date to know how long the tritium will last. They are great optics for the role they are for. Primary Arms does make some decent stuff but the ACOG glass is pretty HD.
Old 02-10-2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post

I like the acss reticle design. Simplified ranging, although not sure of civilian use out with varmits or plinking.

ACSS reticle is fantastic. The circle-dot design alone is great even if you're not using all the other features. Very clear and precise, almost too easy. I really, really like my 5x PA prism--that's what I have on my SHTF rifle, that's how comfortable I feel with it and how much I trust it.

Two ways to go here: one is get an ACSS 4x ACOG. Those go for about $1277 regularly, but they were on sale for $920 a few weeks ago, which means that if you have patience, you'll be able to get one for the same price. This gives you a reticle that I think is superior to what you'd ordinarily get with an ACOG.

The other is to just get a 3x or 5x ACOG--you can usually get them for $275 or so. I wish they had a 4x--they used to and got rid of it, not sure why. 4x just seems to be a better balance for quick acquisition and long-distance shooting than 5x, but it's a fairly marginal difference. You can usually find a 4x on eBay or on the marketplace.

If it matters, the Primary Arms prisms lack a lifetime warranty, but based on personal experience and just reviews in general, that shouldn't be a problem--those things are solidly built. Guys on youtube have hit them with shotgun blasts and all other torture tests and they hold zero.

Not saying you shouldn't get an ACOG if that's what you want and you have the dough for it, but I'd rather spend the extra $700 on ammo and training.
Old 02-10-2019, 5:55 PM

I have a couple of uppers set up with ACOG’s but they’re more for nostalgia than anything else. My go-to setup has a 1-6 LPVO.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:25 PM

If you shoot slow and still, you don't need an ACOG
Old 02-10-2019, 9:00 PM

By the way, I was very complimentary of the Primary Arms prism scopes. That said, be warned mounting system out of the box sucks. It relies on thumb screws, just not very good. I mean, it works, but it's pretty bad. Luckily, it's ACOG-mount compatible. If you get a PA scope, see if you can find a GDI mount. If not, get another quality QD ACOG-style mount.
Old 02-11-2019, 4:52 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
By the way, I was very complimentary of the Primary Arms prism scopes. That said, be warned mounting system out of the box sucks. It relies on thumb screws, just not very good. I mean, it works, but it's pretty bad. Luckily, it's ACOG-mount compatible. If you get a PA scope, see if you can find a GDI mount. If not, get another quality QD ACOG-style mount.
All of our current prisim scopes have hex nuts on the mounts. Still a good idea to use thread locker. You would only use a thub screw if you are mounting them to a carry handle. That is the same for a Acog.

Thanks!!!
Contact me at: Marshall@Primaryarms.com
Old 02-14-2019, 1:44 PM

Quote:

Love my acog 1.5x16 w/ACSS reticle. Definitely not a varmint optic. Think more on the lines of the perfect balance between close quarter to mid range “battle” optic. If you’re setting up your rifle for SHFT scenarios (in my opinion) this may be the best if not it’s rated top 3 easily. I can keep rambling on about the optic but as with everything else..to each their own.
Old 02-14-2019, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

It’s a good optic, but that said mine sits in a safe unmounted while all my rifles have a different optic on them.
Old 02-14-2019, 1:48 PM
Banned

Yes.

The new generation of shooters are veering away from the ACOG but those who have used them know better.
They are tough as nails, clear, and perfect for AR style rifles when you need to hit targets under duress from 50m on.

In my experience for a battle optic there is no better.
Old 02-14-2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
Yes.

The new generation of shooters are veering away from the ACOG but those who have used them know better.
They are tough as nails, clear, and perfect for AR style rifles when you need to hit targets under duress from 50m on.

In my experience for a battle optic there is no better.
Basically this, my exact sentiments, plus it's always on no need for battery. But why limit to just Acog. I have Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon MRO, Acog, Nightforce 1-4, and Viper PST FFP 6-24, and I'm probably not done with optics. Most on here have even more optics.
Old 02-17-2019, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

ACOGs are great, don’t let anyone tell you any different.

But they’re not for every situation. They’re amazing for fast, heads up shooting that help you see a little further out. They’re light, and very durable. No complications, no frills. The one downside is that the illumination will not work well when shooting from low light position to a bright target.....the reticle washes out. Likewise, if you’re in a brightly lit position and looking into a low light target, the reticle can be too bright. So it’s not ideal for every situation.

LPVO’s are great too, a little more versatile but also come with downsides: low battery life, more complications with changing power, more mechanical parts to break down, much heavier, bulkier, etc. You have to decide what your intended use is, and what matters more to you. Weight and durability, or versatility with a little more precision? BTW, durability is assumed....there are many LPVO’s out there that are very durable, so this may not be a big difference.

Your call.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
But they’re not for every situation. They’re amazing for fast, heads up shooting that help you see a little further out. They’re light, and very durable. No complications, no frills. The one downside is that the illumination will not work well when shooting from low light position to a bright target.....the reticle washes out. Likewise, if you’re in a brightly lit position and looking into a low light target, the reticle can be too bright. So it’s not ideal for every situation.
A field expedient solution is to use some gaffers tape and cover the fiber optic to dim down the reticle.

Old 02-18-2019, 8:19 AM

Considering how many years that the ACOG has been fielded, it's funny to me that Trijicon never developed a better solution to controlling the fiber optic exposure to sunlight than to leave it to us to use janky solutions like gaffers tape.
Even their TR24 has an adjustable sunshade. Lol.
Old 02-18-2019, 1:08 PM

I own more optics than you can shake a stick at but if I had to choose one it would be an Acog. I own 3 myself. I can’t say it’s the best but it’s very versatile and fast. Best all-around and great glass.
Old 02-18-2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Considering how many years that the ACOG has been fielded, it's funny to me that Trijicon never developed a better solution to controlling the fiber optic exposure to sunlight than to leave it to us to use janky solutions like gaffers tape.
Even their TR24 has an adjustable sunshade. Lol.

They did. It's battery operated LED.
Old 02-18-2019, 6:57 PM

Ah, good point! I'd rather have fiber during the day and battery for low light as the perfect optic anyways.
Old 03-14-2019, 5:10 AM

Quote:
ACOG really worth the price ?

Thinking aboutgetting one
For $600-$800 in the used/new market absolutely. I wouldn't pay over $750 for ANY used Acog.

They pop up all the time on ar15.com for cheap. You dont need a brand new one honestly.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015