Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-31-2019, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation GLENDORA CGNers: Feb 5th community meeting w/Mayor Thompson and 2 CC members

Quote:
This is a great opportunity for those who support us here to go to this event and voice it. We really need at least 5-10 new faces to come to this and do so. These two Council Members favor our cause so it’s important to do so firmly yet politely and briefly. I expect Measure E will likely be what most there are going to want to discuss at length. The first step is to request that our Glendora City Council/City Manager issue a MOU to LASD formally re-establishing GPDs ability to issue permits to Glendora residents. That’s something very specific to focus on as this must happen first before anything else can be effectively discussed.

Please reply in the comments section to this if you will attend.
For more details, go to the "Glendora Concealed Carry" FB page at:
https://www.facebook.com/GlendoraCCW/

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-01-2019, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

Good for you guys. I got pro-2A family in Glendora. Hope it works.
Old 02-01-2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
For more details, go to the "Glendora Concealed Carry" FB page at:
https://www.facebook.com/GlendoraCCW/
Yes, I am co-Admin of Glendora Concealed Carry who posted this request on our Facebook page. Please reply there (or here) if you can attend. It is vital that new faces who are Glendora residents show up and voice their support for us. You need not speak long, in fact, it's better we have more in numbers and keep it brief.

The next key step is to focus on (as I described on our FB page): getting CC to send that MOU to LA County Sheriff re-establishing the ability for the Glendora Police Chief to issue to residents. Until that happens, other arguments are moot. We still have majority support on the Council to do this, so it's not a lost cause by any means. They just need a sufficient 'political push' by residents to do so.

Please come out and support us. I know this meeting is now in the same time slot as the State of the Union address but this is important. The next full Glendora City Council Meeting is the following week; Feb. 12 at 7pm.

My thanks to Paladin for posting this here on Calguns.

President of Front Sight, Life Member
Gun Owners of America, Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation, Life Member
Arizona Citizens Defense League, Life Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Admin. Glendora Concealed Carry

"When seconds count, the police will be there in a few minutes."
Old 02-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Yes, I am co-Admin of Glendora Concealed Carry who posted this request on our Facebook page. Please reply there (or here) if you can attend. It is vital that new faces who are Glendora residents show up and voice their support for us. You need not speak long, in fact, it's better we have more in numbers and keep it brief.

The next key step is to focus on (as I described on our FB page): getting CC to send that MOU to LA County Sheriff re-establishing the ability for the Glendora Police Chief to issue to residents. Until that happens, other arguments are moot. We still have majority support on the Council to do this, so it's not a lost cause by any means. They just need a sufficient 'political push' by residents to do so.

Please come out and support us. I know this meeting is now in the same time slot as the State of the Union address but this is important. The next full Glendora City Council Meeting is the following week; Feb. 12 at 7pm.

My thanks to Paladin for posting this here on Calguns.
When did they stop issuing altogether? I know of a couple of folks who have Glendora permits who got or renewed them not much more than a couple of years ago. One is a retired GPD cop (I think his original permit was issued while he was still working for GPD) and the other had extraordinary good cause with thorough documentation and still had a hard time getting it.

What time is the Feb. 5th meeting and where? I don't recall seeing that on the FB page, but maybe I missed it? Do you guys want support from adjacent communities (like San Dimas) there, or just Glendorans?
Old 02-03-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
What time is the Feb. 5th meeting and where? I don't recall seeing that on the FB page, but maybe I missed it? Do you guys want support from adjacent communities (like San Dimas) there, or just Glendorans?
If you click on the FB page link in the OP, details re. the meeting are the top post. There is not, AFAIK, a separate/prior meet up of pro-CCW Glendorans, but they're asking gunnies to show up to the mayor's and 2 city councilmember's meeting.

Here's the direct link:

https://www.facebook.com/GaryBoyerCi...type=3&theater

Old 02-05-2019, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

bump

Today's the day.

Old 02-05-2019, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Any word on how it went?

How many on our side showed up?

Did CCWs get discussed?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 AM

This what I posted on our FB page last night:

‘Good news: At the ‘Community Conversation’ held tonight (2/5/19), I (Matt) spoke at length with Mayor Thompson and Councilman Boyer about our cause. They remain very supportive of us and assured me the MOU to LASD re-establishing GPDs ability to issue permits will be drafted, added to the Council Agenda and be sent out very soon. After tonight, I firmly believe it will be. Regardless, I am going to attend next Tuesday’s City Council Meeting (2/12) and formally request this be done; to get citizen input supportive of same on the record. I encourage everyone to attend this meeting and voice support.
This is a big step done. Next will be to craft a proposal as to how to implement a Shall Issue standard and convince our CoP to support it. This will be challenging but I think possible. More so after tonight’s discussion.

Time for some good scotch before bed! Very good outcome tonight for us.’

Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This what I posted on our FB page last night:

‘Good news: At the ‘Community Conversation’ held tonight (2/5/19), I (Matt) spoke at length with Mayor Thompson and Councilman Boyer about our cause. They remain very supportive of us and assured me the MOU to LASD re-establishing GPDs ability to issue permits will be drafted, added to the Council Agenda and be sent out very soon. After tonight, I firmly believe it will be. Regardless, I am going to attend next Tuesday’s City Council Meeting (2/12) and formally request this be done; to get citizen input supportive of same on the record. I encourage everyone to attend this meeting and voice support.
This is a big step done. Next will be to craft a proposal as to how to implement a Shall Issue standard and convince our CoP to support it. This will be challenging but I think possible. More so after tonight’s discussion.

Sounds great! Yes, I encourage you and others who are for CCWs to follow up by showing up at each step that you can.

I'd only suggest using "accepting 'self defense' as sufficient Good Cause" instead of calling it "Shall Issue" to avoid confusion.

I don't know if it will help, but you may want to contact the CA DOJ/BOF for CCW stats, if that will help. I know on Dec 31st of 2017, we were pass 100,000 CCWers statewide. My guess is that was a record. I'd guess we passed 110,000 this last Dec 31st.

Plus, per John Lott's annual survey, last year we passed 17,000,000 CCWers/ConCarry nationwide. Again, that's a record and like with CA, no "blood in the streets" over "high noon" shootouts over fender-benders or parking spaces. Just Good Guys carrying guns to defend themselves.

Quote:
Time for some good scotch before bed! Very good outcome tonight for us.’
Well deserved!

Old 02-12-2019, 8:29 PM

Tonight I presented to the regular Glendora City Council Meeting; requesting the formal Memo of Understanding be sent to LA County Sheriff, re-establishing the Glendora Police Chief's ability to accept applications from, and directly issue to, Glendora residents. This memo is an easy formality, both procedural and legally. This memo is in fact, all it takes to do this.

Council has already said this was going on the Agenda soon, I just wanted to get it on the public record and 'push' things along.

Once that happens, I have inquired privately about wanting to set up working meetings with Council, the City Manager and the Police Chief where we can craft an issuance policy and procedures that are both just, fair and reasonable. Consistent with what 35 other CA counties have been doing; SD=Good Cause.

We will learn much from their reaction. But first, this MOU task needs to get done. We shall see if it actually does get done. I'm hopeful but ever skeptical.

Old 02-13-2019, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Good job. Keep us informed.
Old 02-22-2019, 4:09 PM

Upcoming Glendora City Council meeting on Tues Feb. 26, 2019; nothing on the Agenda / Consent Calendar. But lots of angst/interest/discussion on the upcoming Measure E local sales tax increase measure, so I didn't expect to see anything related to us until after March 5, 2019 (Measure E election day).

But it always can help if Glendora residents here just show up, fill out a Public Comment card and speak for even 30 sections voicing support for us (Glendora Concealed Carry) and our objectives.

A good number of new faces of Glendora residents just doing that would have a huge impact.

Old 02-27-2019, 1:18 PM

Last night, (2/26/19) at the Glendora City Council meeting, we had two new Glendora residents step up and speak in support of bringing concealed carry issuance to Glendora. My thanks to Jamie and James. We also had Bill, from West Covina Concealed Carry, also attend and speak up in support of Glendora Concealed Carry and our ongoing efforts. We've known and appreciated Bill's support over the last 4 years or so. Thanks again to you!

We need to see continued and increasing local Glendora resident support to do just this. New faces, who are Glendora residents; that's what will help us most of all.

We are hoping to see our MOU item on the Agenda for the next scheduled CC Meeting, March 12. Or for the meeting two weeks after. The local Measure E election is gaining the bulk of local Glendora political interest; that election is being held on March 5. After that is out of the way, we will have our opportunity to make our case and get this done.

Old 03-06-2019, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Last night, (2/26/19) at the Glendora City Council meeting, we had two new Glendora residents step up and speak in support of bringing concealed carry issuance to Glendora. My thanks to Jamie and James. We also had Bill, from West Covina Concealed Carry, also attend and speak up in support of Glendora Concealed Carry and our ongoing efforts. We've known and appreciated Bill's support over the last 4 years or so. Thanks again to you!

We need to see continued and increasing local Glendora resident support to do just this. New faces, who are Glendora residents; that's what will help us most of all.

We are hoping to see our MOU item on the Agenda for the next scheduled CC Meeting, March 12. Or for the meeting two weeks after. The local Measure E election is gaining the bulk of local Glendora political interest; that election is being held on March 5. After that is out of the way, we will have our opportunity to make our case and get this done.
Less than 1 week until the next City Council meeting (next Tues). When will you guys find out if the MOU is on the Agenda for that March 12th meeting?

Old 05-12-2019, 3:52 PM

Finally, this topic is in the Agenda for the 5/14/2019 City Council Meeting as New Business Item 14. Will be a public Council discussion (Council Members only but we will be present & able to answer any questions if asked) expected to focus on deciding whether to issue the MOU to LASD re-establishing issuing ability for GPD. We still expect this to happen with high confidence.

We will be there voicing support for this, of course and I encourage those Glendora residents here to come do so as well. We want to focus comments strictly on this first MOU step and but offer/suggest a subsequent Workshop type format to discuss SD=GC and related details should Council decide the MOU question in our favor. That is our plan going in to this Meeting.

Links to the Meeting and it’s supporting documents can be found, pinned at the top, on our Facebook page: @GlendoraCCW.

Old 05-12-2019, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Unhappy

Keep it up, fellas. I'm rooting for y'all.
Old 05-14-2019, 6:37 PM

Ahh bummer, would have liked to attend. Will be looking for next meeting date.
Old 05-16-2019, 5:07 PM

Default As of May 15, 2019, Glendora CCW Efforts are at an Impasse...

What I posted on our Facebook page as summary of the May 14, 2019 Glendora City Council Meeting. More comments to this can be seen there. If interested, go to our page and follow along. Bottom line is that until there is a change in the Glendora Police Chief, nothing more can be done.

Report on the May 14, 2019 Glendora City Council Meeting.
=======================================

I’m saddened to report that events did not go our way tonight. Here is a summary of the facts:

1. The City Manager gave a brief summary of his written report on CCWs to Council.

2. The Public Comment period followed where myself and another spoke favorably and one of the two gadflies spoke against. The other gadfly you could not even follow. My point of clarification regarding SCOTUS voting to just not hear the Peruta Case rather than ‘rejecting’ it as part of some kind of ruling made(as was inferred by the language used in that section of the City Managers report ) was acknowledged after my comment by the City Manager himself. And I was happy about that point landed at least.

3. Council then proceeded to discuss the matter in general & the pertinent issue between themselves which was: should CCW issuance be under local Glendora city control or LA County? There was strong 4-1 support during that discussion period (only Davis dissenting) that it should be under City control. Then it got interesting.

4. Chief Rosales was in attendance and finally spoke on the record on this issue and dissented. She is adamant that issuing should remain a LA County matter and would not issue the required MOU taking back issuing ability. ( I learned something new tonight: that the Council or the City Manager cannot direct the Police Chief to take back that ability to issue, that decision rests entirely with the Police Chief).
She proved true tonight to her Bay Area roots (where she was hired from) and I admit I was totally fooled that she could ever be reasonable about ‘Good Cause’ standards.

5. Since Council does not have the authority to actually direct the Police Chief to begin accepting applications again, at the end, they held what amounted to a non-binding voice vote expressing Council ‘preference’ that the Chief take back City control; acknowledging resident wishes. That vote went 3-2 in our favor with Mendel Thompson ‘caving’ at the last minute. He told me afterwards that he did not want to vote against the Police Chief. That was disappointing as the issue at hand was really not about the Police Chief.

So, where does that leave us?

I’m too tired and upset to consider that tonight. The obvious answer is we need a new Police Chief. Particularly with what was learned tonight. And maybe anything less is just spinning our wheels.

I’m very sorry that this is where we are at after 3+ years of effort. But this is the reality."

Old 05-16-2019, 5:54 PM

City council can fire the police chief can't they?

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Old 05-17-2019, 6:18 AM

The Police Chief reports directly to the City Manager.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

It's sad to hear the chief go against the citizens and city administration on this issue. What was her gripe? Liability or she just doesn't want the responsibility or it's a personal belief against citizens being armed?
Old 05-17-2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
It's sad to hear the chief go against the citizens and city administration on this issue. What was her gripe? Liability or she just doesn't want the responsibility or it's a personal belief against citizens being armed?
Who knows? Probably a mixture of all three. She came from San Pablo, CA (near Richmond, East Bay area). She certainly believes citizens should not have the right to carry guns outside their homes.

At this point, I really don't give a damn about her personal reasons. She needs to go in order for there to be any path forward on this. That's just dictated by the reality of the legal situation, independent of any personal opinions or desires of wishing there was some other way. But this is unlikely, near term, given the current state of things. Council is 3-2 in favor of us but I do not see that translating into an effort to replace her. Hope I'm wrong.

Been a difficult week. Defeat. Don't like the taste of it.