Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 12-28-2018, 5:34 PM

Default Anyone use quick release mounts?

I happen to be watching youtube videos and saw them. The people testing theirs seem to like that they hold zero when taken off and on. Maybe it can use some adjustment. Not that my nikko stirling targhetto master is a great scope but it's mounts suck. If you loosen them to take off the scope they fall away since they aren't really attached to the mounts. If I can flip the scopes off I can fit them into one hard case for easy transportation or storage. Not that I can't just get some decent regular mounts but if I'm gonna get new mounts maybe it's a nifty ideeeer =)
Old 12-28-2018, 8:25 PM

I don't use anything but QR anymore for anything under 4x. I was skeptical at first but mine really do maintain zero and I was dealing with the same issues of guns not fitting in their cases with the optic mounted.
Old 12-28-2018, 8:36 PM

I'm a big fan of the American Defense mounts. No complaints with their products and they hold zero time and time again.
Old 12-29-2018, 5:52 AM

What kind of rifle? And are you thinking a full mount or QD rings? If you have a bolt action, these common AR-application QD mounts might not work for you. Especially if it doesn't have a Pic rail on top.
Old 12-29-2018, 6:29 AM

Default I switched

I'm using them too. It's great to be able to switch scopes for different applications. And, even if some sighting in is required it's also nice to be able to switch scopes to a different rifle.
Old 12-29-2018, 6:35 AM

Mostly using Leupold, but occasionally Warne and others for larger tubes. Mostly split rings but occasionally a one piece unit. More height options available for split rings (say low, medium and high), but one piece units offer some benefits too.
Old 12-29-2018, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
What kind of rifle? And are you thinking a full mount or QD rings? If you have a bolt action, these common AR-application QD mounts might not work for you. Especially if it doesn't have a Pic rail on top.
I'm going to build a 308 AR. Currently I have a bolt action Howa 308 with a picantinny rail over the bolt so it would work there too but it's going on the AR. I'll probably get one for the 223 AR also.
Old 12-29-2018, 8:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Anyone use quick release mounts?

I use a single piece QD on my 1-6x on AR and it holds zero fine. I have two 1x red dots that have QD and they do fine also.

But I don’t have them for my bolt rifle and probably wouldn’t use that myself.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member

Last edited by lordmorgul; 12-29-2018 at 8:58 AM..
Old 12-29-2018, 3:17 PM
Banned

I use QD rings on my CZ 527 carbine. Mainly in case my scope goes down in the field so I can quickly remove it and use the irons.

I have never tested a return to zero.
Old 12-30-2018, 7:36 PM

I'm using Warne QR medium height 30mm rings with a separate 1/2 inch riser on my flattop 223 AR... 1.5x6x42 Nikon Monarch scope...I have a fixed front site so I need the height... Taking the scope off and on the POI stays the same at 100 yards.. A friend of mine does not have the riser or the front sites and uses the low height leupold rings... I cannot get my head behind his scope,,, and racking the charging handle is a major pain... No clearance for my fingers topside.. A few things to think about before you spend the $$$...
Cheers....
Old 02-04-2019, 10:49 AM

I use the Burris QD AR PEPR mount and it holds zero no problem.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:02 AM

Thanks everyone. I should be getting a second scope this coming Friday so I'll order a QD mount. I did notice when I took off my primary arms scope and mount off my ar15 and put on my ar10 it was just about dead on at 100 yards but I don't want to have to keep zero-ing every time.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Recently bought a ADM qd mount for my Acog last month and zero'd, removed and remounted (remembering to push it forward on the rail) and retested zero and it was spot on. Will need further testing though before I feel confident about it though.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:50 AM

The guys at Fowler's pointed out the advantages of QR and I have never looked back.
Old 02-04-2019, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Recently bought a ADM qd mount for my Acog last month and zero'd, removed and remounted (remembering to push it forward on the rail) and retested zero and it was spot on. Will need further testing though before I feel confident about it though.

Is that featureless biuld?
Old 02-04-2019, 3:33 PM

Default ADM & BOBRO

I use QR mounts from both of these companies and have had no issue with RTZ.
Old 02-04-2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Is that featureless biuld?
One of the easy tells for featureless is the lack of pistol grip, if mine was featureless you'd see a fin wrap on the grip in which case I'd run a regular fast mag release with regular takedown pin. Instead you see that shiney and slow kingpin rear takedown for my fixed mag. But this is not the right thread, lots and lots of threads already at the rifle section you could probably brush up on.
Old 02-04-2019, 4:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a set on my 6.8spc ar with leupold mod 1 ar 3-9 and I took the scope off to pack to El Paso to hunt. I put it back on and the zero was perfect. First time I ever removed a scope for transport in 40yars I did not have to re zero.
Old 02-04-2019, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, best QA mount is likely made by GDI.

Then there is Bobro.

I believe Spuhr has come out with a QD mount as well, but I don't know much about it.

Then there's Larue and ADM.

I don't personally consider Larue or ADM return to zero good enough for a precision rifle optic. For a red dot or anything to maybe 4x sure, but anymore and you want something with better return to zero, if you plan on removing the optic.

The other option is a non QD mount with a good torque wrench. That should return you to zero better than most QD lever mounts.
Old 02-04-2019, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
One of the easy tells for featureless is the lack of pistol grip, if mine was featureless you'd see a fin wrap on the grip in which case I'd run a regular fast mag release with regular takedown pin. Instead you see that shiney and slow kingpin rear takedown for my fixed mag. But this is not the right thread, lots and lots of threads already at the rifle section you could probably brush up on.
Oh yeah didn't see the shiny knob. Was just wondering.
Old 02-04-2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
OP, best QA mount is likely made by GDI.
This
Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 PM

I have Warne QD rings mounting my Leupold 3-9x50 on my .308. I've had the mounts loosen more than a few times so at this point, I'm not a huge fan. I like the idea, though.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 02-05-2019, 6:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A.R.M.S. # 22 rings on my M1a hold inside of 1 moa consistently.
Old 02-05-2019, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSth4 View Post
I'm a big fan of the American Defense mounts. No complaints with their products and they hold zero time and time again.
Agreed without hesitation. On all my RDS rifles and Benelli M4.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Old 02-06-2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt511 View Post
Agreed without hesitation. On all my RDS rifles and Benelli M4.
I have one holding on a Vortex Viper 1-4x. I only wish that they have a finer adjustment than the little 8-sided screw head. On my particular rifle, it's either:
  • Too tight to get the tab down w/o standing on it, or
  • It's kinda tight but I wish it was a little tighter

But honestly the scope's too low-power to worry about losing its zero at the setting I need to use for holding it on the upper receiver.
Old 02-06-2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
I have one holding on a Vortex Viper 1-4x. I only wish that they have a finer adjustment than the little 8-sided screw head. On my particular rifle, it's either:
  • Too tight to get the tab down w/o standing on it, or
  • It's kinda tight but I wish it was a little tighter

But honestly the scope's too low-power to worry about losing its zero at the setting I need to use for holding it on the upper receiver.
So true, on both my ADM MRO and ADM Acog mount it's either way too tight or not tight. But still love using the mounts.
Old 02-06-2019, 7:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I use Talley QR rings on my 375 H&H and Warne QR Mounts on my 458 Win Mag since they may need to be shot with open sights, quickly.

The Talley's will hold less than an inch at 100 yards when I detach and reattach the scope, that's all I ask for QR mounts. I haven't tested the Warne's yet.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-07-2019, 12:42 AM

Actual test data:
https://www.recoilweb.com/guide-to-q...nts-57239.html
Old 02-07-2019, 4:17 PM

I use ADM and LaRue, no complaints. But I don't need QR I realized, I have glass for each rifle zero'd and I should never have a reason to take them off on any regular basis, just asking for trouble if Murphy's Law has anything to do with a gunfight.
Old 02-07-2019, 6:41 PM

I use ADM and the reason I like QD is so that I know for a fact that my optics and other accessories are loose on my guns.

Without them I would need witness marks to make sure they are still tight.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

I use Bobro on my Rem 700 and they positively return to zero. 8541 Tactical did a youtube vid with the ADM mounts and it did not have a repeatable return to zero. The problem with the ADM mount is the adjuster nut screws have play clockwise/counter clockwise which can and will move when you loosen the clamping levers. Also as mentioned the adjustments on the ADM are either too tight or too loose. With the Bobro there is nothing to adjust when switching between rifles and it fits out of spec rails also. Another mount to consider is Geissele with their hexi nut design as per SOCOMs request. They have a repeatable no tool needed RTZ.

http://8541tactical.com/ADM_RECON_review.php

Last edited by Munny$hot; 02-10-2019 at 6:56 PM..
Old 02-21-2019, 6:22 PM

I second the Bobro. I used ADM, but after some of my own testing, it did not return to zero. Basically what I did was put the mount on an ACOG, put it on a rifle with a red dott in front, line up the reticle with the red dot, remove the ACOG anndd put it back on to see if it was still lined up with the red dot. The ADM was terrible at returning to being lined up with the red dot. The Bobro was always directly lined up.
Old 02-21-2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmykows View Post
I second the Bobro. I used ADM, but after some of my own testing, it did not return to zero. Basically what I did was put the mount on an ACOG, put it on a rifle with a red dott in front, line up the reticle with the red dot, remove the ACOG anndd put it back on to see if it was still lined up with the red dot. The ADM was terrible at returning to being lined up with the red dot. The Bobro was always directly lined up.
Seems odd that this would be so, about the ADM. Was yours a two-clamp model or a single-clamp? I was thinking that maybe with two clamps (front and rear) it might be difficult to get the clamping force even between the two.

FWIW, I have the single-clamp style ADM. But it's scope is a 1-4x so I don't worry about the re-zero so much. I also have a Bobro and a Larue, but those are holding higher power Scopes. I guess I trust those mounting types more.
Old 02-21-2019, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

I think it depends on which brand you get. I have some budget QR rings on a 22LR pistol, and they work good enough. The 22LR pistol isn't a tack driver.

For my rifles I just use a 1-piece mount and carry a torque wrench. It isn't quick, but it isn't slow either.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 03-12-2019, 9:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Look into Scalarworks for weight savings (at a price)
Also Bobro has been shown to have the best return to zero in the business.

But if you don't feel like lighting your wallet on fire then ADM and LaRue (especially the LT204) are the way to go.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofois View Post
I'm going to build a 308 AR. Currently I have a bolt action Howa 308 with a picantinny rail over the bolt so it would work there too but it's going on the AR. I'll probably get one for the 223 AR also.
Something you've overlooked is that if you're switching around between different ARs then it's fine, but a forward cantilever type of mount commonly seen on ARs is not the ideal setup on a bolt action. It will be very high & probably too far forward.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I've moved away from QD on anything magnified. Mostly because I prefer Geissele and Nightforce Unimounts now. I just carry a fix it stick at 65"lbs for removal and torquing should I ever need to take them off, which is rare.
Old 03-14-2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Something you've overlooked is that if you're switching around between different ARs then it's fine, but a forward cantilever type of mount commonly seen on ARs is not the ideal setup on a bolt action. It will be very high & probably too far forward.
True, it was only going on the ARs but I decided to get a dedicated scope for each and stick with a non QD one piece mount. Maybe in the future I'll get a nice one but I don't need to remove them for now. Thanks man
Old 03-14-2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWorryScro View Post
Look into Scalarworks for weight savings (at a price)
Also Bobro has been shown to have the best return to zero in the busines
I have multiple ADM mounts through the years that I've been happy with but just got my first Scalarworks mount for my RMR and agree I'd recommend them.
Old 03-14-2019, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWorryScro View Post
Also Bobro has been shown to have the best return to zero in the business.
They've also been known to fail, in particular the spring. I was never fond of qd base being separate from the ring bases. Just too many parts in general. And I got tired of getting slapped by the lever when taking it off.

Got rid of it pretty quick.

Love my Scalarworks Aimpoint mounts.