Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-02-2018, 7:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
What's the legal difference between converting a single-shot bolt-action to a semi-auto fixed mag and converting a bolt-action detachable mag to a semi-auto fixed mag? If there's some argument to be made about manufacturing a new firearm in violation of 29180 or manufacturing an unsafe handgun in violation of the unsafe handgun law, it would apply equally to both actions, no?
The Franklin Armory pistol is certified safe by the state certified lab and the director of the bureau of firearms. As far as I see, CPC 29180 would lot apply to a state certified pistol.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the CSW, the Binary Firing System, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine, Reformation, and the New Rostered CA7 Pistol!
Old 11-02-2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
The Franklin Armory pistol is certified safe by the state certified lab and the director of the bureau of firearms. As far as I see, CPC 29180 would lot apply to a state certified pistol.
Let me start off by saying I entirely agree with you.

And while you're being coy about it for understandable reasons, I don't need to be--I think adding a gas tube to your CA7 pistol is legal.

That being said:

The argument some intelligent people here (e.g. Quiet) have raised is that doing things like adding a gas tube is "manufacturing" for the purposes not only of 29180, but for the unsafe handgun law 32000. Essentially, according to their logic, they would say that you are manufacturing an unsafe handgun from a safe handgun by adding a gas tube to the Franklin Armory CA7.

I think that's ridiculous, but to the extent you buy that logic, I think it applies with equal force to a single-shot bolt action as it does to a rostered detachable mag bolt action.
Old 11-02-2018, 7:34 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Let me start off by saying I entirely agree with you.

And while you're being coy about it for understandable reasons, I don't need to be--I think adding a gas tube to your CA7 pistol is legal.

That being said:

The argument some intelligent people here (e.g. Quiet) have raised is that doing things like adding a gas tube is "manufacturing" for the purposes not only of 29180, but for the unsafe handgun law 32000. Essentially, according to their logic, they would say that you are manufacturing an unsafe handgun from a safe handgun by adding a gas tube to the Franklin Armory CA7.

I think that's ridiculous, but to the extent you buy that logic, I think it applies with equal force to a single-shot bolt action as it does to a rostered detachable mag bolt action.
I cannot encourage anyone to make an unsafe handgun, but help me out here.... is it illegal to modify your Gen 3 Glock pistol? Can you change the slide for a cool milled and lightened aftermarket version? What about adding an Apex trigger to a S&W Shield? Can you Cerakote an XD? What about using a 10 round mag on a 45 Kimber?

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the CSW, the Binary Firing System, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine, Reformation, and the New Rostered CA7 Pistol!
Old 11-02-2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
I cannot encourage anyone to make an unsafe handgun, but help me out here.... is it illegal to modify your Gen 3 Glock pistol? Can you change the slide for a cool milled and lightened aftermarket version? What about adding an Apex trigger to a S&W Shield? Can you Cerakote an XD? What about using a 10 round mag on a 45 Kimber?
I agree, 100%. Been saying that for a while now.

But see this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1487100
Old 11-02-2018, 7:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I agree, 100%. Been saying that for a while now.

But see this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1487100
Let's just say that I know an attorney that would be happy to take that fight on a state certified pistol , especially when the hammer, trigger and safety have not changed.

Again, we are just selling a state certified pistol. Other regulatory actions are in process. (There is more to come!)

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-02-2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Let's just say that I know an attorney that would be happy to take that fight on a state certified pistol , especially when the hammer, trigger and safety have not changed.

Again, we are just selling a state certified pistol. Other regulatory actions are in process. (There is more to come!)
In for 2 if you have 9mm available.
Old 11-02-2018, 8:08 PM

Do I see a mag lock device on the new FA pistol .
Can you clarify if such device and reloading procedures, split the action to drop the mag?
Old 11-02-2018, 8:10 PM

Well there goes the next paycheck...
Old 11-02-2018, 8:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
Do I see a mag lock device on the new FA pistol .
Can you clarify if such device and reloading procedures, split the action to drop the mag?
Standard magazine release. Load by dropping magazine, fill up magazine, reinsert, charge, pull trigger. No split action required.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-02-2018, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

This is awesome!!!! Adding to my project/wish list. Will definitely be looking at reviews and videos soon too.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 11-02-2018, 8:47 PM

Can you provide first expected shipment dates ? Would tnis be next year after Jan 1 .?
Old 11-02-2018, 8:47 PM

What's the deal with the Reformation? Are you still on track with that? Are you going to try to sell it in California?
Old 11-02-2018, 8:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
What's the deal with the Reformation? Are you still on track with that? Are you going to try to sell it in California?
We are working on an avenue to bring ammunition to market with the rifle.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-02-2018, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

Franklin Armory.....you guys rock.
Old 11-02-2018, 9:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
Can you provide first expected shipment dates ? Would tnis be next year after Jan 1 .?
We have units that can ship next week.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-02-2018, 9:24 PM

Franklin Armory, have you considered this idea before? It seems to be quite bulletproof legally. Avoids the AW restrictions, safe handgun restrictions, or even the unconventional pistol restriction.
Old 11-02-2018, 9:26 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
The Reformation meets CA's definition of an "unconventional pistol" [PC 17270]; which makes it illegal (felony) to make, import, transfer, or possess in CA [PC 31500].

Penal Code 17270
As used in this part, an “unconventional pistol” means a firearm with both of the following characteristics:
(a) It does not have a rifled bore.
(b) It has a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Penal Code 31500
Except as provided in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any unconventional pistol is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-02-2018, 9:27 PM

Franklin armory. I am in. How do I get some of these pistols?
Old 11-02-2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The Reformation meets CA's definition of an "unconventional pistol" [PC 17270]; which makes it illegal (felony) to make, import, transfer, or possess in CA [PC 31500].

Penal Code 17270
As used in this part, an “unconventional pistol” means a firearm with both of the following characteristics:
(b) It has a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Penal Code 31500
Except as provided in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any unconventional pistol is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
Not if it has an 18" barrel (I understand the Reformation as marketed has a 11.5" barrel).
Old 11-02-2018, 9:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

Penal Code 17270

Penal Code 31500
True, but that's not what we are selling.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-02-2018, 9:34 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklincollector View Post
Franklin armory. I am in. How do I get some of these pistols?
We value the local dealer network. Next week your dealer should be able to see the listing on the Roster. They can then order through distribution or direct.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
???? ???????

... and you got around microstamping HOW???

Inquiring minds want to know.
Bolt action.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
https://www.franklinarmory.com/produ...lin-armory-ca7

The pistol features a 7.5" barrel, M-Lok handguard, and a detachable 10/20 magazine.

Make: Franklin Armory
Model: "Pistol"
Action: Straight Pull bolt Action
Caliber: 5.56 NATO
Barrel: 7.5"
Capacity: 10+1
Configuration: CA7
SKU: 3130-BLK
UPC: 818725011955
MSRP: $934.99

Dealers accounts welcome.
Excellent work; great idea. This is the kind of ingenuity and inventive ideas regularly expressed here, that I used to like about Calguns, but has been missing the past couple of years.

I would really like to see a basic video of how the straight-pull bolt action works and ejects, whether the video is of shooting it or not.

I'm be down for picking one up, just for the reason of "because."

Old 11-02-2018, 11:19 PM

This is awesome! I, too, would like to see a video of it in action
Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
Excellent work; great idea. This is the kind of ingenuity and inventive ideas regularly expressed here, that I used to like about Calguns, but has been missing the past couple of years.

I would really like to see a basic video of how the straight-pull bolt action works and ejects, whether the video is of shooting it or not.

I'm be down for picking one up, just for the reason of "because."

it is like a normal ar without the gas tube.

you pull the charging handle hard to eject then release it to slam a new round into the chamber.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:47 PM

I just want to say, thank you FranklinArmory! I'm definitely buying one to support businesses like yours.
Old 11-03-2018, 3:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

nevermind, I was confused

Last edited by jimbo74; 11-03-2018 at 7:08 PM..
Old 11-03-2018, 3:35 AM

You guys definitely need to get a video out of this thing in action ASAP.
Old 11-03-2018, 4:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for your work.

Will you please consider creating a bolt action CZ Shadow 2 in the same vein and put it on the roster? Pretty please?
Old 11-03-2018, 5:35 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

want!
Old 11-03-2018, 6:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
if you are on the CRPA Board Members, haha I am pretty sure I have heard of the attorney you speak of
Chuck is a great guy, and we ask him for help on occasion. Since we've donated over $30,000 to the CRPAFoundation earmarked for litigation, he tends to be very helpful, but I have not even mentioned any of this to him yet.

Another well known SoCal attorney is actually on our board.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com

Last edited by franklinarmory; 11-03-2018 at 7:39 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 11-03-2018, 7:13 AM

I think you guys are going to cost me my tax return and I’m not even sad!
Old 11-03-2018, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Jay, I'm sure that was a misspelling on CRPA's name

Wish this pistol would be available soon in CA before my ID card needs to be a Real ID. I haven't bought a gun in CA for a while. Would be cool to rub it in.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 11-03-2018, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Standard magazine release. Load by dropping magazine, fill up magazine, reinsert, charge, pull trigger. No split action required.
If you telling the truth, I am in for 3
Old 11-03-2018, 7:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Jay, I'm sure that was a misspelling on CRPA's name

Wish this pistol would be available soon in CA before my ID card needs to be a Real ID. I haven't bought a gun in CA for a while. Would be cool to rub it in.
Oops. Fixed.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
it is like a normal ar without the gas tube.

you pull the charging handle hard to eject then release it to slam a new round into the chamber.
I assumed the same; even had the same idea to make one that worked in this manner. However, there's nothing like seeing such a video of it working to void any other possibility of a different aspect to the design/function, the reason I suggested it.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:27 AM

Sounds like we need to pull the handle on EVERY shot even though the mag can hold 10? Not sure how this is classified as not single shot then.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdang View Post
Sounds like we need to pull the handle on EVERY shot even though the mag can hold 10? Not sure how this is classified as not single shot then.
There are manufacturing rules now that apply to certain types of firearms that were originally semi-auto, so it has to be manufactured from scratch as a "single-shot" or not "semi-auto" not only to meet that new requirement but to avoid the microstamping requirement.

It can't once have been a semi-auto or intended as semi-auto and modified to single-shot after the fact as I understand it, which is what they changed about SSE.

So you, or me, or a gun store, can't just take any AR and make it "single-shot". The manufacturer has to start from scratch, as a dedicated firearm with this action, and in this case, they did AND submitted it to DOJ for testing and approval to be on the CA Roster as such.

Brilliant. Very obvious to anyone that this could be done if you really thought it through, but franklinarmory took the initiative and lead.

Old 11-03-2018, 2:27 PM

Well if anyone wants my miroku winchester I'd trade for one of these haha
Old 11-03-2018, 4:24 PM

Nice job Franklin!

Which type buffer does it ship with?