Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-21-2019, 6:53 PM

Default Vortex Strikefire II + VMX-3T

I'm about to pull the trigger on picking up a set of Vortex Strikefire II + VMX-3T for my 14.5 rifle w/ Magpul MBUS pop-ups.

Just wondering if anyone has this setup and what their thoughts were on the product.

I'm pretty sure I won't need risers to use with the MBUS, from looking at the design of it. Anyone have this setup?

Anything other recommendations?

TIA

Last edited by BuddhaBar; 05-21-2019 at 6:57 PM..
Old 05-21-2019, 9:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBar View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on picking up a set of Vortex Strikefire II + VMX-3T for my 14.5 rifle w/ Magpul MBUS pop-ups.

Just wondering if anyone has this setup and what their thoughts were on the product.

I'm pretty sure I won't need risers to use with the MBUS, from looking at the design of it. Anyone have this setup?

Anything other recommendations?

TIA
Red dot with a magnifier is old school. Peeps nowadays usually pick a LPVO with a QD mount instead.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 05-22-2019, 4:28 AM
VETERAN
CGN Contributor

I run that exact same set up on my Bushmaster AR and on my Nordic NC22. Works out great for me and my aging eyes. Also, my son is color blind and cannot see the red dot, so the ability to switch to green with a push of a button is great for him.
Old 05-22-2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Red dot with a magnifier is old school. Peeps nowadays usually pick a LPVO with a QD mount instead.
School me. Why LPVO? Pros vs Cons?
Old 05-22-2019, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBar View Post
School me. Why LPVO? Pros vs Cons?
First is weight. A big red dot with a 3x magnifier and 2 mounts is heavier than a single LPVO.

Second is flexibility. With your combo optic you're limited to either 1x or 3x. With a 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, or 1-10 LPVO, you have unlimited range until you hit the max magnification.

Third is astigmatism. If you have it, a red dot isn't crisp. A magnifier makes it worse. A LPVO is always crisp regardless of your astigmatism. I you don't have an astigmatism yet, it's only a matter of time as you age.

Fourth is speed and precision. You'll rarely (if ever) see a good 3-gun competitor running a combo magnifier and red dot. You'll only see LPVO's amongst the pros. There's a reason for that. They're fast and precise.

Fifth is vanity. If you wanna hang with the cool kids, you have to look the part.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 05-22-2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
First is weight. A big red dot with a 3x magnifier and 2 mounts is heavier than a single LPVO.

Second is flexibility. With your combo optic you're limited to either 1x or 3x. With a 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, or 1-10 LPVO, you have unlimited range until you hit the max magnification.

Third is astigmatism. If you have it, a red dot isn't crisp. A magnifier makes it worse. A LPVO is always crisp regardless of your astigmatism. I you don't have an astigmatism yet, it's only a matter of time as you age.

Fourth is speed and precision. You'll rarely (if ever) see a good 3-gun competitor running a combo magnifier and red dot. You'll only see LPVO's amongst the pros. There's a reason for that. They're fast and precise.

Fifth is vanity. If you wanna hang with the cool kids, you have to look the part.

I agree with the Dude on all points.

And if I may add, good glass can also improve your ability to clearly see the target, even when set at 1X.

Comparing my Trijicon reflex sight vs. the Razor 1X6 at the 1X setting, the picture is much improved, to the point that magnification may not be necessary. It’s fast and clear.

And yes, like the Dude wrote, precise. A red dot can’t compare to a fine crosshair of a quality reticle for precision shooting. A nice, thin reticle, with graduations for holdovers and you’re in business from point blank to hundreds of yards.

On a side note, and just my opinion, it just seems wrong to have a floppy appendage swinging from the top of a rifle. For me, it seems like a Band-Aid approach in an attempt to overcome the shortcomings of a red dot.

Old 05-23-2019, 3:28 PM

Feedback greatly appreciated, guys. Will definitely take into consideration. Might have to hit the range with some of the guys ans try both out and see what fits me best.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
So old school that CAG is still using RDS + magnifiers right?

Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Vortex Strikefire II + VMX-3T

I like the Strikefire II RDS, but do not use a magnifier. I also like and even prefer the Spitfire 1x Prism sight and would probably also like the 3x spitfire. The prism has advantages, it’s clearer, precise, works without power, but has no ability to co-witness (but does it need to? Not really). I have offset iron sights on it so cheating there, I have them on my rifle with LPVO too.

I also like a LPVO in my StrikeEagle 1-6x, it is not as fast at 1x as the RDS but it’s awefully close and is more clear. It’s heavier, but won’t be if you add that magnifier. And I agree about the weirdness of a floppy item on a rifle even if it detents in place it’s not as dependable and secure as any other option.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 05-24-2019, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooYah View Post
So old school that CAG is still using RDS + magnifiers right?
Warfighters and civilians use different tools. The OP also isn't using a suppressed SBR and PEQ/NOD. I'll also guarantee your warfighter would get his butt kicked against good 3-gunners with that setup. Different tools for different uses. Good for military use isn't always good for civilian use. Not only that, but the special ops community has been adopting civilian weapons advancements more than they've been developing their own. The military usually lags behind a few years.

Old 05-24-2019, 6:02 PM

I'm using the VMX-3T with Aimpoint Pro. The VMX doesn't flop, solid detent. I like the combo flexibility, RDS for up close and personal, the magnifier for distance. As to old school, I definitely qualify for old.