Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-09-2019, 8:38 AM

Default CCW class weapon choice?

Does one have a choice of weapons for a CCW class? I'm strictly a wheel gun man.
Old 05-09-2019, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Bring what you are competent with. Wheels or slides are good as long as they are reliable and you can operate them safely.
Call your instructor about any existing caveats regarding issuing agency policy. Some won't allow a 8 3/8" barrel revolver etc..
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-09-2019, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Some counties have caliber limitations. Riverside County allows double action revolvers in .38, .357, .41 mag, .44 mag, and .45.
Old 05-09-2019, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Starting here, I believe very soon, if not already, you have to qualify with every HG you want on your permit.

5rds, & 5 try's at center mass, all 5 must hit center mass, as I understand it.

No time limit, which is good for some folks.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Been issued multiple CCW's and at each class you are required to shoot from different yardages and double tap to Target. highly recommend as stated by others that you shoot the firearm you are most comfortable with. I brought my 22 and was laughed at, not what I'm going to carry out on the street, but when it comes to qualifying and the double tap follow-up shots, it made it easy as hell to hit center mass on the target from multiple distances. several people that were in the class were more than happy to show off their large caliber custom pistols, and completely missed the target especially when the yardages were extended outward. Don't be that dummy with the high dollar gun and the big ego who fails to qualify
Old 05-09-2019, 11:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingransom View Post
Been issued multiple CCW's and at each class you are required to shoot from different yardages and double tap to Target. highly recommend as stated by others that you shoot the firearm you are most comfortable with. I brought my 22 and was laughed at, not what I'm going to carry out on the street, but when it comes to qualifying and the double tap follow-up shots, it made it easy as hell to hit center mass on the target from multiple distances. several people that were in the class were more than happy to show off their large caliber custom pistols, and completely missed the target especially when the yardages were extended outward. Don't be that dummy with the high dollar gun and the big ego who fails to qualify
No offense meant, but shouldnt you qualify with the firearm you are going to carry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Does one have a choice of weapons for a CCW class? I'm strictly a wheel gun man.
Are you asking for suggestions for a semi-auto? If so any of the more common names, i.e., Glock, S&W Shield, Springfield XD are all good guns at good price points.

Personally I carry 1911's but am going to switch over to Glock 26 and 19 at renewal. I bought several magazines during Freedom week that tilt the decision in favor of the Glocks.

If you're starting from scratch I recommend a Glock 26. 10-round capacity, very reliable, easy to customize, etc.

If you are looking for recommendations for wheel guns bring whatever you will carry. I prefer J frames but the Kimber K6 is sweet....
Old 05-09-2019, 12:59 PM

Citadelgrad87
No offense meant, but shouldnt you qualify with the firearm you are going to carry?

None taken. You can have up to 5 firearms on your CCW card so no way to qualify with all of them. I train heavily with my main carry gun a 9mm and 38spl, but simple qualifying I use the firearm most pleasurable to shoot. They make no distinction as to which gun you must use to qualify, so I choose the one with with cheaper ammo cost and the one that doesn't concuss the crap out of my brain
Old 05-09-2019, 1:32 PM

Hmmm - Three gun limit on San Diego County permit and you have to qualify with each one.

I have a 9mm barrel conversion for a Glock 23 and my instructor qualified me with both calibers - so technically I ran the drill 4 times.
Old 05-09-2019, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... Don't be that dummy with the high dollar gun and the big ego who fails to qualify
As easy as the qualifications are it is almost impossible to not to qualify at least in OC if someone is somewhat familiar with firearms.
Old 05-09-2019, 4:30 PM

tanks
Originally Posted by kingransom
... Don't be that dummy with the high dollar gun and the big ego who fails to qualify
As easy as the qualifications are it is almost impossible to not to qualify at least in OC if someone is somewhat familiar with firearms

Agreed, but when there is pressure to perform and people get cocky with their skills, good habits tend to get thrown right out the window. In one of my classes it was the douchebag with the $2k custom Glock and an answer to every question during class time that tanked miserably!!. He wanted to put rounds on target so damn fast to show up others who were more methodical that he yanked shots all over the place. Funny to see the 2 instructors laughing under their breath and clowning him since he felt he should be the one teaching the course.
Old 05-09-2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Citadelgrad87
None taken. You can have up to 5 firearms on your CCW card so no way to qualify with all of them.
OC has unlimited now, but only 5 are listed on the card. More are listed on an extra sheet of paper. I have 5 on mine and qualified with each one.
Old 05-09-2019, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

seems like everyone has a s&w shield on their permit
Old 05-09-2019, 5:00 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You can have up to 5 firearms on your CCW card so no way to qualify with all of them.
The law now says you MUST qualify with all of them. It is not optional anymore.

PC26165

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...5.&lawCode=PEN

Quote:
(3) The course shall include live-fire shooting exercises on a firing range and shall include a demonstration by the applicant of safe handling of, and shooting proficiency with, each firearm that the applicant is applying to be licensed to carry.
So you will be qualifying with all of them next time, and there is a way (it’s called time and money).

So I’m not sure where that leaves the OP original question. You will bring to class the firearms you intend to list, and there is no point bringing anything you don’t intend to list. You will have to qualify with every one that you intend to list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
As easy as the qualifications are it is almost impossible to not to qualify at least in OC if someone is somewhat familiar with firearms.
Also note the new law says agencies must make available to the public their qualification standards. Expecting extra scrutiny, many agencies are adopting new and more formal standards.

So don’t count on it being as easy as the last time.

From the same PC:

Quote:
(b) A licensing authority shall establish, and make available to the public, the standards it uses when issuing licenses with regards to the required live-fire shooting exercises, including, but not limited to, a minimum number of rounds to be fired and minimum passing scores from specified firing distances.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 05-09-2019 at 5:11 PM..
Old 05-09-2019, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
...Also note the new law says agencies must make available to the public their qualification standards. Expecting extra scrutiny, many agencies are adopting new and more formal standards.

So don’t count on it being as easy as the last time.
...:
From OCSD site:
Quote:
Effective immediately, weapon qualification will consist of shooting a complete 72 round qualification (24 rounds at 3 yards, 24 rounds at 5 yards, and 24 rounds at 7 yards) with the first handgun. All subsequent handgun qualifications will consist of a 20 round qualification (10 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards). A passing score of 70% will remain unchanged. This will be applied to both initial and renewal qualifications.
So, for OC it is still stupid easy. 70% is just keeping the shots inside the 7 ring in slow fire, on B-27 target.
Old 05-09-2019, 7:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

County Courses of Fire
Kern County Sheriff
Kern County Sheriff CCW minimum qualification course:

4 rounds – two hand shooting @ 5 yards
2 rounds – one hand shooting with the left hand @ 5 yards
2 rounds – one hand shooting with the right hand @ 5 yards
4 rounds – two hand shooting at 7 yards
Total rounds fired for each gun you want to qualify with is 12 rounds.

(Instructors may have shooters fire all rounds at 7 yards)

Mono County Sheriff Permits
Mono County Sheriff CCW minimum qualification course:

Distance (yards) Rounds (Total 30rounds)

1.5 yds. 5 rounds
3 yds. 5 rounds
5 yds. 10 rounds
7 yds. 5 rounds
10 yds. 5 rounds
Passing score is 70%
Target Dimensions: 12 inches x 16 inches
Inyo County Sheriff Permits
Inyo County Sheriff’s Office CCW minimum qualification course:

Must qualify with each firearm the applicant is requesting carry on the permit.
FBI-Q Target or equivalent.
The recommended minimum qualification course will be 27 rounds
3 Yards: 3 rounds to target.\
5 Yards: 3 rounds from “gun hand” & 3 rounds from “support hand” to target.
7 Yards: Two “failure drills” to target.
10 Yards: 8 rounds to target.
15 Yards: 1 round to target in 12 seconds, repeat for a total of 4 times.
Shooters will be permitted to reload as needed.
The passing score is 75% which equals missing 7 rounds outside the bottle outline on a standard FBI-Q target or its equivalent.
Tulare County Sheriff
Tulare County Sheriff CCW minimum qualification course:

In order to certify a certain handgun, the student must fire the maximum amount of rounds the weapon holds. This does not including a round in the firing chamber.
Half of the total bullets (or 50%) from one full magazine or one full cylinder must hit the target from at least the seven (7) yard mark.
There will be no time requirement to discharge rounds or move through the exercise.
There will be no drawing or holstering requirement as there is no mandate for CCW holders to holster firearms.
Students must qualify with each firearm they wish to conceal and carry.
Station 1) Full magazine or cylinder from 7 yards at 50% success

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 05-09-2019, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, Tulane county is really easy.
Old 05-10-2019, 5:41 PM

How does a person "train heavily" with their 9mm but if they would shoot a handful of 9mm rounds at a ccw qualification it would concuss the crap out of their brain?
Old 05-13-2019, 8:43 AM

My question seems moot as further inquiry suggests I will be in that "great pistol range in the sky" by the time I get a CCW here in San Diego County.
Old 05-13-2019, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Each IA has a different qualification requirement.
No idea where you are so any and all answers are wild guesses.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What county?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Seems like a very weak excuse..9mm hurts my heads so I qualify with a .22

That sounds like a terrible idea. Ammo cheaper? Wow...9mm ball is cheap. Its not like your using your HomeDefensne Match Open Tip .22lr

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 .22lr $375 , Uberti SAA .357 $290 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

op needs to read up about qualifying with each weapon on the CCW.
Old 05-18-2019, 6:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
In Kern County you have to list whether you gun is a revolver or "Auto" on the qualification paperwork. You have to qualify with the all the guns that you want to list on your permit.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 05-19-2019, 6:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My question seems moot as further inquiry suggests I will be in that "great pistol range in the sky" by the time I get a CCW here in San Diego County.

Why do you say that?

They're issuing at a pretty fast pace.
Old 05-19-2019, 9:27 AM

I have a Smith & Wesson 442-1 on my permit. It's a wonderful gun to have in a coat pocket, but with its heavy trigger and double action only, it's probably the last gun I would pick to qualify with, given the choice. Unfortunately, we in Ventura County have to qualify with any gun we want to have our permit, so there's no way around shooting it well enough to qualify.
Old 05-19-2019, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
I have a Smith & Wesson 442-1 on my permit. It's a wonderful gun to have in a coat pocket, but with its heavy trigger and double action only, it's probably the last gun I would pick to qualify with, given the choice. Unfortunately, we in Ventura County have to qualify with any gun we want to have our permit, so there's no way around shooting it well enough to qualify.
It's not just us. State law now requires everyone to qualify with every gun they want on their permit. See post #14 above.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 05-19-2019, 6:22 PM
CGN Contributor

In my county you can have up to ten handguns on your CCW.

You are required to shoot 12 rounds from every gun you intend to put on your card.

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin. Man who admitted killing Hoffa
Old 05-21-2019, 5:14 AM

Default CCW class weapon choice?

I have had my CCW for about 6 years and through that time I have had a Glock 23, 9mm Shield, Kahr and now my favorite which is the Glock 43. It’s reliable (Glock), accurate (enough) and most importantly comfortable to carry (with the right holster).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jdconn; 05-21-2019 at 5:23 AM..
Old 05-21-2019, 6:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
If a gun is so cumbersome to shoot that one can't qualify with it on an easy CCW qualification course then maybe one should not carry it.