Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-13-2019, 2:49 PM

Default Secret to Laptop Battery Replacement?

I have tried a couple different replacement batteries for an older HP Pavilion laptop. In both cases the replacement battery charge for a couple of hours. The power meter showed 100%. I unplugged AC cord and it ran on battery power until about 93% - 97% and then died. I tried several cycles of this and it does the same thing.
Old 05-13-2019, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom-lover View Post
I have tried a couple different replacement batteries for an older HP Pavilion laptop. In both cases the replacement battery charge for a couple of hours. The power meter showed 100%. I unplugged AC cord and it ran on battery power until about 93% - 97% and then died. I tried several cycles of this and it does the same thing.
I still run an old core2duo Toshiba and had a couple aftermarket replacements that were dirt cheap... they worked well. Sounds like bad batteries... old stock?
Old 05-13-2019, 3:30 PM

May not be a battery problem. Could be hardware related, like a bad connection, or firmware.
Old 05-13-2019, 3:34 PM

Depending on how old....Get a new laptop. Not worth the time to repair.
If older than 3-4 years, get a new one. Lifecyle of a laptop is around 2-3 years.
Old 05-13-2019, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Found your problem.

They makes great laser printers. Everything else I've found sorely lacking.

My Samsung is still ticking after 7 years or so. Using a cheap replacement battery from Amazon. I know replacement battery quality is dicey at best, so I'm not expecting a lot from it.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-13-2019, 3:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Found your problem.

They makes great laser printers. Everything else I've found sorely lacking.
I hate HP computers... I've seen ancient Compaq servers run forever, but HP consumer laptops brand new right out of the box have issues. After they age, they definitely have issues.
Old 05-13-2019, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hmmm 2-3 years? We have a twelve year old MacBook that is still plugging away just fine. I guess Apple hardware isn't that expensive after all huh?
Old 05-13-2019, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
Hmmm 2-3 years? We have a twelve year old MacBook that is still plugging away just fine. I guess Apple hardware isn't that expensive after all huh?
Like I said, my Toshiba is still plugging along as well... have an older P4 Toshiba that is also plugging along. I've seen plenty of dead Apples... it is a laptop after all. Depends on how the user treats it.

Dunno if Apple has some better battery technology, but I don't think so based on every iPhone I've had dying with a bad battery.
Old 05-13-2019, 5:57 PM

Replacement batteries in laptops generally need to be recalibrated. Essentially, your laptop doesn't know how gauge the charge state properly.

Try this article from HP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04700771
Old 05-15-2019, 3:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
The Lenovo T-400 released July 2008 (release price<$1000) still run the latest MS OS well (with a CHEAP RAM and SSD upgrade), and most Non-Mac non-entry-level notebooks "STILL have" replaceable HDD/SSDs AND RAM that isn't soldered in, to this day. The T-400 is even <$200, right now.

Oh, did I mention the battery swap for an aftermarket 6-cell is ~$60, and my 12 year old daughter can swap it w/2 fingers?
BTW, it won't swell, pressing on the underside of the touchpad, preventing use...

You clearly don't watch any Louis Rossmann youtube repair vids.

Last edited by the86d; 05-15-2019 at 3:23 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
If older than 3-4 years, get a new one. Lifecyle of a laptop is around 2-3 years.
I get 4-6 years out of Apple. My Air is around seven years old now.

My Dells, OTOH, are in that 2-4 year group.
Old 05-15-2019, 5:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
I get 4-6 years out of Apple. My Air is around seven years old now.

My Dells, OTOH, are in that 2-4 year group.
I still have my 11.6" MacBook Air from 2015. The battery is actually starting to have longevity issues. It's still useable, but a far cry from when new.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 05-15-2019, 3:15 PM

i believe that in your "power settings"......you can set when it dims, hibernates, or shuts off when running on power or battery made. it may be set to shut off at 97 %. take a look......mine hp is the same as yours.
Old 05-16-2019, 3:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
i believe that in your "power settings"......you can set when it dims, hibernates, or shuts off when running on power or battery made. it may be set to shut off at 97 %. take a look......mine hp is the same as yours.
THAT would suck if this was the issue... ... ...
Old 05-18-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Replacement batteries in laptops generally need to be recalibrated. Essentially, your laptop doesn't know how gauge the charge state properly.

Try this article from HP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04700771
Those HP utilities seems to be for WIN7-10. I am running XP Pro SP3
Old 05-19-2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I disagree.... completely. I have ten year old ThinkPads that will run nearly any software, save newer games.

I had until recently (sold) a T500, that was in near NIB condition. I have an HP Compaq 6715b that *IS* in mint condition at 12 yrs old, that runs Gimp, and Office 2013 just fine on Win7 Pro. It could run Win 10, if I chose to install it.
It has 8gb PC2 Ram, Radeon graphics, and a 480gb SSD. Actually just purchased a new battery for it ($14), even though the original still gives 4hrs.

Nothing wrong with either of the above computers as a "Daily Driver" for most "average" users. They just work, and they get the job done.

Cost to acquire a T400, and upgrade:

$60-$100 to purchase.
$16 battery.
$6-$12 for a charger.
$15 for an additional 4gb/RAM.
$25-$35 for a 256gb SSD.

That's around $118 on the cheap end, to around $175, and it will outlast ANY Wally-World computer.

Last edited by Dragunov; 05-19-2019 at 4:41 AM..
Old 05-19-2019, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
The Lenovo T-400 released July 2008 (release price<$1000) still run the latest MS OS well (with a CHEAP RAM and SSD upgrade), and most Non-Mac non-entry-level notebooks "STILL have" replaceable HDD/SSDs AND RAM that isn't soldered in, to this day. The T-400 is even <$200, right now.

Oh, did I mention the battery swap for an aftermarket 6-cell is ~$60, and my 12 year old daughter can swap it w/2 fingers?
BTW, it won't swell, pressing on the underside of the touchpad, preventing use...

You clearly don't watch any Louis Rossmann youtube repair vids.
You can find the T400 on Ebay for much less than that. I've seen them w/out HDD for $60. $200 would get you a nice, T440p!
Old 05-19-2019, 6:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
You can find the T400 on Ebay for much less than that. I've seen them w/out HDD for $60. $200 would get you a nice, T440p!
Yep, 16-32GB MAX ram would be a great upgrade from the T400's 8GB MAX, but I have no experience with the 440P, as the T400 is what I've got... gratis.
Old 05-19-2019, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

Buying a new laptop would be the simpler solution. Keep the old one for your workshop.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-19-2019, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Yep, 16-32GB MAX ram would be a great upgrade from the T400's 8GB MAX, but I have no experience with the 440P, as the T400 is what I've got... gratis.
The T440p, probably one of the best ThinkPads ever built. 16gb ram, and a Quad Core processor, an SSD, or M.2 drive, you're set up for quite a while. I have three. Two with nVidia graphics, and Quad Core (i7-4700, and i7-4800). Both have a 240gb M.2 drive, and a 500gb Samsung EVO 860 SSD. 16gb is the max ram for the T440p.

One without nVidia graphics, a 480gb SanDisk SSD, 16gb/RAM, and an i7-4600 Dual Core. All are fantastic machines. I just recently relplaced my T440p "DD" with the ThinkPad W540. 32gb/RAM i7-4800, nVidia K2100m graphics. 2x500gb Samsung EVO 860 SSD's, and a 480gb M.2 drive. It's a beast!

I HIGHLY recommend ANY of these!

Total purchase price, and upgrades for the W540, was $553. You'd have to spend $2000 for a ThinkPad P72 with M2200m graphics, to get a better computer new. Even at that, the CPU speed between the two is nearly negligible.

I would like the P72/64gb/RAM, and nVidia M2200m Graphics, to be my next acquisition.

Last edited by Dragunov; 05-19-2019 at 9:33 AM..
Old 05-19-2019, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Buying a new laptop would be the simpler solution. Keep the old one for your workshop.
Unless you're willing to spend $1800+ for a new laptop, and pick the right one, you're getting junk.
Old 05-25-2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
I have a similar problem on an HP Envy (5 years old). Charge the battery, don't use the laptop and within 5 days, battery is depleted of charge. I've changed the battery twice , upgraded the bios, etc. Still fails after a few days.

Solution: HP Tech support tried to sell me a new laptop.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).