Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-10-2019, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Default To Claw or not to Claw? **(With update)**

I ordered a holster recently from Muddy River Tactical and as I was ordering they had an addition for "The claw". So I did some side googling and YouTubing to see what the heck it is.

So it pushes the butt of the pistol closer to your body, which is cool. I went ahead and ordered it with the claw, because it appears to be removable so worst case scenario I take it off.

Does anyone have one for carry? Opinions on it's function?

UPDATE: 5/11- got my holster. Immediately put it on, and such. Claw absolutely helps keep pistol butt close to the body. Walking around, running errands or whatever I can see myself using it. With lots of sitting, bending, working in my garage however it actually started to be a little uncomfortable- so I removed and and it felt normal again. Pretty easy to put on and take off so glad I got it. Will probably leave it off most of the time, but put it on depending on what outfit I may wear while going out for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00134.jpg (80.1 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by bballwizard05; 05-11-2019 at 6:47 PM..
Old 05-10-2019, 7:02 PM

I donít have the same brand of holster, but have eBay holster with a claw for a Glock 19 . It is very concealable in the appendix position.
Old 05-10-2019, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

I'm too skinny to not claw.
Old 05-10-2019, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
I'm too skinny to not claw.
lol... not a problem I am familiar with.
Old 05-10-2019, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

ABSOLUTELY CLAW!

First and foremost, and like you said, the claw is removable. So you can use it or not as needed...very low risk aside from the cost.

The claw is very beneficial to keeping the butt of the grip tucked in along the body line. But do note that the benefits of a claw are usually greater as the size of your gun increases...or more specifically, the size of the grip. So if you're carrying a sub compact like a Shield with a flush magazine, you probably won't notice as much of a benefit as when you are carrying, say, a full sized 1911. The longer the grip, the more important it becomes to keep the grip tucked in along your body line so it doesn't print. Much can also depend, however, on where you position your holster between 12 and 3...if you're right handed.

Also, if there is an option for some type of removable pad on the muzzle end of the holster, get that too. The purpose of the pad is twofold. First it helps push the bottom of the holster out, thus forcing the top of the holster in closer to your body for better concealment. Secondly it may improve comfort and help prevent the kydex from rubbing on you. But you can add a pad yourself once you get the holster if it doesn't have one and you think you need/want one. All you need is a bit of velcro, some glue and something to make a pad out of. Or you could probably order the parts from another MFG like JM Custom if Muddy River doesn't offer it.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-10-2019, 8:44 PM

You probably need to just experiment with it on your own. It will work for some people and not for others. I tried it, I don't need it.
Old 05-10-2019, 9:06 PM

I use one on a Vedder IWB. I really does bring the butt in tighter to the body.
Old 05-11-2019, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

A little square pad of old neoprene or sponge padding cut to size and crazy glued to the bottom of your holster will do the trick plus the additional friction will help stabilize your holster from shifting along the attachment axis.
Old 05-12-2019, 1:37 PM

I have 5 kydex Vedder holsters for various guns w the claw. The claw ended up working great for a few of them, but for a couple it was actually more comfortable and concealed just as well taking off the claw.

The claw really helps sometimes--- depends on the gun and body type. I'm pretty skinny so it helps tuck in the butt of larger guns into my body.