Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-29-2019, 1:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Using My iPhone in Europe

Headed to Europe to see my daughter. Verizonís plans are hugely expensive. What are my options for using my phone there? If I were to buy a SIM card there, does it come with its own number, how would it work, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-29-2019, 1:50 PM

If your phone is unlocked, then it should be as simple as buying a pre-paid sim card and use. Not sure how Verizon's plan are though.
Old 04-29-2019, 1:51 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

We used T-Mobile account from here. Everything was included in the One plan. No extra charges.

May not help, but that’s all I got.
Old 04-29-2019, 1:52 PM

Verizon iPhones are already unlocked
Old 04-29-2019, 2:05 PM

If Verizon phones are already unlocked, then you can just buy a pre paid sim and use that. At least that's how it is with an unlocked phone I have ever used.

I would've mentioned T-Mobile One plan, which is really nice. My wife is currently in the Philippines and we text and video chat with no extra charge. Same thing when she flew to Malaysia and Cambodia.
Old 04-29-2019, 2:15 PM

T mobile is great unlimited data and texting for free, 20 cent a minute for phone calls but you can use WhatsApp for free calling using unlimited data. Contact Verizon to make sure 100% your phone is unlocked it’s took ATT 3 days to unlock my old phone before transferring to T-MOBILE. Buy a tourist SIM card or ask Verizon if they have travel plans they probably do. I would never travel without my phone now use it for google maps and Uber. Using Uber instead of taxis will pay for the travel plan alone.
Old 04-29-2019, 2:28 PM

We got a Vodafone pre-paid sim card. I-phone must be unlocked. It’s good anywhere in Europe. Roaming must be turned on to be active if crossing to another Schengen Area - we learned the hard way. We used it primarily for internet - restaurant, gas, lodging search, and Waze navigation. Cheap. Served us well for a couple of weeks for $35 no contracts and with spare until we left.
Old 04-29-2019, 4:35 PM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

How much calling do you plan to do? I took my Galaxy S5 to Italy when it was new. Just paid for Verizon International plan for the time I was there.

Try to use local wi-fi for data as much as you can.

If you buy a local SIM no one from the States can call you unless you tell them the phone number.
Old 04-29-2019, 6:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How long is your trip? Just recently used a CelluarAbroad sim card. $60 for 30 days for a fair amount of data as well as calls.

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 04-29-2019, 6:43 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Headed to Europe to see my daughter. Verizon’s plans are hugely expensive. What are my options for using my phone there? If I were to buy a SIM card there, does it come with its own number, how would it work, etc?

That all depends on how you want to use the phone. If you want to use it as you do at home (w/mobile data, net, text and phone) a sim card purchased locally is a good choice. Ill be travelling for a year so I will be dropping my plan and using it as a wifi-only device.

CONS
No phone calls
No net/texts when I dont have a wifi connection

PROS
Zero costs
I can download off-line apps, maps and documents and make due with intermittent connectivity.

Another option is to use your phone in airplane mode for online activities and buy a burner phone once you arrive to place calls. That should run you $20-25.
Old 04-29-2019, 7:30 PM

My wife and I were in Central/Eastern Europe this last summer. We have AT&T.
I went on my account and ensured I would be able to use AT&T services in Europe. I paid $10 a day for full access to my traditional services, just like I was at home. If you want to go cheap, use wifi.
Old 04-29-2019, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Verizon iPhones are already unlocked
easiest way to use your phone. if you are paranoid, i would see if they have a pay per use day pass just in case for whatever reason you can't get a sim card the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 05-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Getting sims is easy. Look for a vodafone kiosk, show them your passport (maybe), and you'll get more than enough data for navigation and browsing for 40 euros.
Old 05-07-2019, 5:58 PM

If you have a iPhone XR or XS you can turn on E-Sim which is essentially a SECOND SIM card without having to remove your current sim. Dual Sim card phones in europe and elsewhere in Africa and Asia are an imperative. Passport/registration/activation are required.

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2019, 6:26 PM

FYI if you buy a pay as you go SIM card there it will only work in the country you bought it in unless you go and register it at a store. A couple years ago I bought a Danish card when I landed in Copenhagen. It stopped working just across the bridge in Sweden. And when I got into Germany later it didn't work so I bought a German one and registered it in the T Mobile store. Then it worked no problem in Holland, Norway Iceland and back in the US.

If you stay in one Country t
You're good
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Headed to Europe to see my daughter. Verizonís plans are hugely expensive. What are my options for using my phone there? If I were to buy a SIM card there, does it come with its own number, how would it work, etc?

where in Europe?

verizon user here too; kiddo has an iphone 7. we skipped the $30 for nothing verizon international, and snagged a google FI sim card. minutes/texts are unlimited, but per minute charges some places. $10/gig for data, up to 6gb on a single plan. no further data charges after that, but it slows down after $15 gigs.

signal wise, she said it was good in switzerland, okay in most parts of italy. i ran the sim in a pixel for a few days after she got back, and pretty solid signal everywhere here.