Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Default My new Ubiquiti home Wifi setup with POE

We moved from CA to TX last summer. Before we moved I had a stable Wifi setup and VOIP. I threw all the gear into a box but it never made it to the other end. (I also lost all my 9mm magazines .... )

Anyway, I've been using rented equipment from our new cable provider for the last 6 months. No real complaints since the rent is only $5/month and coverage has been ok for the most part, but our new house is much bigger than the old old one: 2 floors, 3700 sq ft. Decided to upgrade.

Went will a full Ubiquiti system based on a recommendation from a work colleague. It's more of an "enterprise grade" setup but provides complete coverage.

1) Secure Gateway (Router)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0XK-000W-00060

2) POE Switch (Power Over Ethernet)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1A0-006V-00006

3) 3x AC Access Points
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0ED-0005-000V6

4) Obihai 202 VOIP Box: (100% free voice phone system via Google Voice)
https://www.amazon.com/OBi202-2-Port.../dp/B007D930YO

5) Powerline Ethernet for connecting the Obihai in a suitable location:
($22 with coupon, in-store)
https://www.frys.com/product/7859069...SABEgLQYfD_BwE

The components must first be "provisioned" before they will play together. This means an external piece of software must download the configuration into each. You can do that through your smart phone, via a computer on your network, from the cloud or through a "Cloud Key" (like a small embedded computer on a stick.) I decided do run it from my laptop.

Outcome:
- The initial setup was a PITA. You need to hook up your laptop directly to the gateway and download some software. I should have done this step before tearing down the old system.
- Connecting the Access Points is a breeze if you have existing Ethernet cables in your home! The POE allows them to run without a power supply, just plug in an ethernet cable. (Access Points are what you'll find at work, schools, airports etc.)
- Performance is excellent! I get 177 Mbps download speed in my laptop, provider max is 200 Mbps for our basic internet plan. ($50/month)
- I can see everything that's going on within our network! Every device is listed. Turns out we have about 20 gadgets online (computers, phones, TVs, playstations etc.) The router also features "deep packet" inspection, allowing you to see what sites your kids have been surfing
- I lost our original Obihai box in the move but the new one connected effortlessly with our existing Google Voice account. Now I can call "home" and the phone rings in the house just like it did before.

Everything was about $700. It's a lot, but only about twice as much as a fancy "gaming router" that still would not reach all the nooks & crannies in the house. The access points provide great coverage.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

You will get a more stable and faster connection if you go with a Cable Modem from Motorola or Arris. I was renting my cable modem from Comcast previously and kicked myself for not buying my own modem until much later.
Old 03-04-2019, 3:25 PM

I went full stack Ubiquiti as well. A couple of tips. Like Bigbearbear said, buy a modem. Get the cloud key. Get the cloud key. If you need more than 500Mbps of throughput on your router then you will need to ditch the USG. PM moe if you want more info.
Old 03-04-2019, 7:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I already have the modem from Arris, it's free. Will buy one if they start charging me for it.
Old 04-11-2019, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
You will get a more stable and faster connection if you go with a Cable Modem from Motorola or Arris. I was renting my cable modem from Comcast previously and kicked myself for not buying my own modem until much later.

When I was cutting my cable bill as much as possible (getting rid of everything but internet) I discovered that the cable company charged $10 a month for the modem/router combo. After three years that would have paid for a better system that I would have owned.

I dropped it and got my own setup, which is light years better/faster and I have complete control. As others mentioned I can see and control everything on my network. I can easily setup a temp guest network for visitors and tons of other things.

Best part. Did the wife/kid piss you off? No prob. Block them connection and watch them stomp around ranting about how slow their phone/whatever is, all while you stream YouTube/etc from your phone and play PS/xBox flawlessly.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on switching to a Cloud Key.

Not all Arris cable modems are the same and it is possible that you just got an older unit from your cable provider that a previous customer returned. You can probably check their website to see if you have the best router that they allow on their system.

The weak link is the Powerline Ethernet in terms or reliability. If you have any connectivity issues, I use a z-wave switch to remotely cycle the power of the Powerline unit on the router side.