Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-23-2018, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Glad to see we've got real water work. When I joined SMR about 20 years ago the CA Naval Reserve consisted of a few lawyers in the bay area that got together for drinks.
M1NM, I don't know if you're still in, but an O-6 dropped by our unit on Saturday to brief us on current changes statewide with the SMR and we were told that the maritime component was given a few boats (I believe 6 or 7 total). I'm excited to see the whats coming down the pipeline soon.
Old 08-02-2018, 3:15 PM

Default MARSCOM's diver

Anyone here interested in serving as diver for the new Maritime Support Command? No previous diving experience or certification required, just need dedication and commitment (and some expenses.) We are setting up plans to train in Santa Cruz and/or Bodega Bay with NAUI standards up to Divemaster and Instructor certification.

IM if interested!
Old 08-08-2018, 1:27 PM

All - an update from our new Command General. Individuals desiring to join the State Military Reserve's new Maritime Component must now have prior nautical or sea service. This means consideration will be for prior US Navy, Marines, Coast Guard or Merchant Mariners. USCG-Aux is under consideration. All Army and Air components still accept civilians without prior military experience. That is all.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Default CA State Military Reserve

Does anyone have any experience in transferring to CSMR from another State’s SDF? Do they honor your rank, experience and professional schooling from another state?

I’m originally from CA, but have lived in NY for the last 4 years. Currently an E5 in the New York Guard (SDF) but beginning OCS this month. I’m considering moving back home to CA in a few years, at which time I will likely be a 2LT or 1LT.

Would CSMR honor my NYG service if I transferred, or would I start over as a college educated E4 again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zperk View Post
Does anyone have any experience in transferring to CSMR from another State’s SDF? Do they honor your rank, experience and professional schooling from another state?

I’m originally from CA, but have lived in NY for the last 4 years. Currently an E5 in the New York Guard (SDF) but beginning OCS this month. I’m considering moving back home to CA in a few years, at which time I will likely be a 2LT or 1LT.

Would CSMR honor my NYG service if I transferred, or would I start over as a college educated E4 again?

The short answer is "quite probably". CSMR and NYG are the top 2 SDF's. I have heard of people moving to CA and CSMR honoring their rank/accouterments. It will depend on the recruiting rules at the time you transfer.

If you hit them with a "I was in NYG, I was a 1LT, trust me..." the answer would likely be no.

If you hit the ground running with an up-to-date, current 201 file that has all of your accolades neatly spelled-out in the proper format, then the answer is more likely yes.

These are questions for recruiting and even if you get an answer today chances are that it could change in two years so I think any attempt at a solid answer would be moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 01-03-2019, 8:35 AM

Default CA State Military Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
The short answer is "quite probably". CSMR and NYG are the top 2 SDF's.
Ha, I’m sure TXSG and GSDF would have something to say about that! But thank you for the recognition, we in NY strive to do our best within the framework provided by our TAG, and definitely look to CSMR to see how much better we can be.

Quote:
If you hit them with a "I was in NYG, I was a 1LT, trust me..." the answer would likely be no.

If you hit the ground running with an up-to-date, current 201 file that has all of your accolades neatly spelled-out in the proper format, then the answer is more likely yes.
Absolutely. As an S1 staffer I keep meticulous records, and certainly wouldn’t have gotten into the OCS program without having been able to write an effective military bio with the 201 and documentation to back it up.

And I hear you on the rest - policy today is not policy two years from now. Just curious if there was an existing “we don’t recognize commissions from other states” policy in effect. Sounds like I will cross that bridge if and when it comes to that.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 PM

Unfortunately Regulations 600-1, -2 & -3 won't recognize prior SDF service with another any other state (or Country for that matter).

California will recognize Title 10 / 14 and USPH / NOAA Officer & Warrant Officer ranks as equivalent, but for enlisted - broken time may impact your rank when you return to service (or accession as its called in the CSMR).

Not that the gaining unit (Army, Air or Navy) won't appreciate your skills. And depending on if you meet the requirements for Officer / Warrant Officer Candidate school - that is a path to Title 32 rank. There are a very limited number of Direct Commissions that can occur if you have one of the 5-6 specialized areas the State is looking for qualified leaders to run Chaplains, JAG, Medical, ICS Emergency Management and Cyber.

And yes - TSG is 3x larger than California's - but I don't think NY or TX will be bigger for much longer...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
These are questions for recruiting and even if you get an answer today chances are that it could change in two years so I think any attempt at a solid answer would be moot.
I think a solid answer to the Guard and Reserves is that in 2 years they will be more desperate than they are now.

The complicated answer is going to be in how that exactly effects recruiting and which MOS's and rank tiers will be impacted.

For example, even reservist Warehouse Clerks of E1+ who are already "IN" are getting re-enlistment bonuses of $20,000.

When I went in the only ones I saw get $20K were ACTIVE EOD techs after they went through HELL to get EOD qualified.
Old 01-07-2019, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
Unfortunately Regulations 600-1, -2 & -3 won't recognize prior SDF service with another any other state (or Country for that matter).

California will recognize Title 10 / 14 and USPH / NOAA Officer & Warrant Officer ranks as equivalent, but for enlisted - broken time may impact your rank when you return to service (or accession as its called in the CSMR).

Not that the gaining unit (Army, Air or Navy) won't appreciate your skills. And depending on if you meet the requirements for Officer / Warrant Officer Candidate school - that is a path to Title 32 rank. There are a very limited number of Direct Commissions that can occur if you have one of the 5-6 specialized areas the State is looking for qualified leaders to run Chaplains, JAG, Medical, ICS Emergency Management and Cyber.

And yes - TSG is 3x larger than California's - but I don't think NY or TX will be bigger for much longer...

Thank you for the response. To clarify, my Title 32 commission in NY will be meaningless in a transfer to Title 32 with CSMR?

From your perspective, where does that leave me? With my previous Title 32 NY enlisted rank of E5? Back down to E4 (with a degree)? All the way down to E1?

Old 01-07-2019, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zperk View Post
Thank you for the response. To clarify, my Title 32 commission in NY will be meaningless in a transfer to Title 32 with CSMR?

From your perspective, where does that leave me? With my previous Title 32 NY enlisted rank of E5? Back down to E4 (with a degree)? All the way down to E1?

A man with a heartbeat and no college degree enters at E3. Most of the time college degree, police officer or EMT enters at E4. This is with zero prior service.

I could see an E5 coming in at E5 with no break in service. That certainly is more preferable than giving an 18 year old E4 because he went to 3 weekends of EMT class...but I don't make the rules.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Zperk,

Sorry - I'm just reading you what the Regs are (they used to be openly available at www.calguard.ca.gov CSMR).

As I said - there could be that a case is made for your NYSG Title 32 position, but it's not Recruiting or even MACOM's call - it's entirely up to HQ.

Just setting the expectation & hoping that it would work out for you!

Tim
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 PM

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for CSMR recruiters to get back to you? I’ve been considering joining and I’ve applied but not heard back yet. I also had some questions about CSMR like what the initial training consists of. I was also wondering if in the CSMR there are MOS’s and if there are then what the training for these jobs consists of. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for my total ignorance on the subject.
Old 03-20-2019, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmanzano View Post
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for CSMR recruiters to get back to you? I’ve been considering joining and I’ve applied but not heard back yet. I also had some questions about CSMR like what the initial training consists of. I was also wondering if in the CSMR there are MOS’s and if there are then what the training for these jobs consists of. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for my total ignorance on the subject.
I have heard nightmares about recruiting.
One cannot always believe what he hears.

Keep one thing in mind and you cannot go wrong: "It is a privilege to serve."

Here is basic info for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...litary_Reserve

Welcome
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 03-23-2019, 6:26 AM

Regarding Recruiting- like much of the CSMR, there are changes afoot. Systems and processing, including marketing are being upgraded, digitized, etc.

In short - the typical time from you filling out a (1) Interest Form, (2) Application form, (3) attending an orientation or Mini-MEPs as I call it, and (4) awaiting orders to complete your live scan. An Oath takes place shortly thereafter as Orders are cut.

I’ve seen anywhere from 1-4 months being the “norm” in the last 1-2 years but please, please PLEASE- make sure to have the originals of the required documents, bring any VA rating letters (including diagnosis) and be honest with the JAG (military lawyer) regarding any past transgressions.

The process goes much smoother!

Tim
Old 03-27-2019, 4:02 AM

A reminder and update "...per the California Military Department / California State Military Reserve (CSMR) HQ and the Government Affairs Office (Policy and Liaison) - CSMR service members, without prior federal service, do not meet the state (or federal) definition of "veteran", therefore CSMR membership does not qualify for CalVet Home Loans.