Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-27-2013, 8:40 AM
Banned

So did I win?
Old 03-27-2013, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcuseMe View Post
So I guess I could just make your life hell for like a week or two. Maybe get you arrested, not sure. I just think the less info on the internet, the better. But to each their own.

Edit...

So I know your name, where you work, where you live, what schools you went to, your wife's name, what she does, what guns you have, some serial numbers, etc...

I imagine I don't like something you've said on an internet forum, I get super pissed off, because that is what the internet is all about... I call maybe local law or FBI and say "I just found blood on a receipt with <insert your name here's> name on it next to a gun with the serial number XXXXXX on it, next to <your place of business>, maybe you guys should check it out?

And then you've got cops or FBI coming to your work or your wife's work or whatever and asking about a gun, and then maybe they go to your house and they take you down town just as a precaution, etc...

I dunno, I'm just making up weirdo theories now.

I guess like I go spill some pigs blood at the "scene" and tell them I wrote down the serial of the gun but didn't touch it cause I'm afraid of guns! And that I think they should send a unit over!

I mean it just seems that if I want to take your serial number AND all of your personal information, I could just use it to make life suck for a little bit. I'm sure it would all be straightened out, but maybe you had to hire a lawyer or something. And the cops are like "how would this tipster know your serial number unless your gun was actually at the scene?"

It is a total long shot... but hey this is fiction, right?

We won two pages ago when the dude stopped replying to all logical/common sense answers.
Old 03-27-2013, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So I guess I could just make your life hell for like a week or two. Maybe get you arrested, not sure. I just think the less info on the internet, the better. But to each their own.

Edit...

So I know your name, where you work, where you live, what schools you went to, your wife's name, what she does, what guns you have, some serial numbers, etc...

I imagine I don't like something you've said on an internet forum, I get super pissed off, because that is what the internet is all about... I call maybe local law or FBI and say "I just found blood on a receipt with <insert your name here's> name on it next to a gun with the serial number XXXXXX on it, next to <your place of business>, maybe you guys should check it out?

And then you've got cops or FBI coming to your work or your wife's work or whatever and asking about a gun, and then maybe they go to your house and they take you down town just as a precaution, etc...

I dunno, I'm just making up weirdo theories now.

I guess like I go spill some pigs blood at the "scene" and tell them I wrote down the serial of the gun but didn't touch it cause I'm afraid of guns! And that I think they should send a unit over!

I mean it just seems that if I want to take your serial number AND all of your personal information, I could just use it to make life suck for a little bit. I'm sure it would all be straightened out, but maybe you had to hire a lawyer or something. And the cops are like "how would this tipster know your serial number unless your gun was actually at the scene?"

It is a total long shot... but hey this is fiction, right?
Ya, the Gov/LEO are the ones with the tools to access your personal info through serial number. I hope none of the people I routinely tick off in my threads are LEO with a bad streak in them....... you can trace back so many of my posts and find so many serial numbers....... lol

Old 03-27-2013, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiZZ View Post
We won two pages ago when the dude stopped replying to all logical/common sense answers.
Lol, the LEO point was the ONLY one.
Old 03-27-2013, 8:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
Ya, the Gov/LEO are the ones with the tools to access your personal info through serial number. I hope none of the people I routinely tick off in my threads are LEO with a bad streak in them....... you can trace back so many of my posts and find so many serial numbers....... lol

If you are who I think you are, I have all that personal information I just listed in that post to do exactly what I said in that post.

And like I said, I'm not very good with computers. It just took a bit of effort. Do you want me to post it to prove it to you? Or...

Also, I don't want you to think I'm being threatening, I could PM you. I'm not the kind of guy to do such silly things. I was just curious if it could be done by the average joe from your first "challenge" post...
Old 03-27-2013, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you are who I think you are, I have all that personal information I just listed in that post to do exactly what I said in that post.

And like I said, I'm not very good with computers. It just took a bit of effort. Do you want me to post it to prove it to you? Or...

Also, I don't want you to think I'm being threatening, I could PM you. I'm not the kind of guy to do such silly things. I was just curious if it could be done by the average joe from your first "challenge" post...
I would be curious to see if you did it from the serial number if the gun........
Old 03-27-2013, 9:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would be curious to see if you did it from the serial number if the gun........
No, definitely not. But it is the combo of your personal information AND your serials that could allow me to do damaging things to you.

Think about if you had posted a picture of your ride on here with your license plate, then I call your local LE and say "I just saw this guy driving down the freeway waving a handgun about."

Its just a tiny bit of info that you think means nothing, but in the end can lead up to some bull**** for your to deal with.
Old 03-27-2013, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Default Seriously, what does "covering" the serial #'s of handguns in pics truly acc...

What if a nasty person takes the serial from your 80% lower and submits a voluntary registration. Them that dishonest person waits and later on reports that their gun was stolen. Next, while at the range you have to explain to some off duty officer that your EBR does not shoot boolits at puppies and rainbows. The rookie Officer Tackleberry decides your rifle is a bit too evil and so confiscates to "let the DOJ sort it out". Months later you are arrested for stealing the original nasty persons alleged stolen lower, registered to him...

/cue tinfoil hat, but possible...?
Old 03-27-2013, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURVIVOR619 View Post
What if a nasty person takes the serial from your 80% lower and submits a voluntary registration. Them that dishonest person waits and later on reports that their gun was stolen. Next, while at the range you have to explain to some off duty officer that your EBR does not shoot boolits at puppies and rainbows. The rookie Officer Tackleberry decides your rifle is a bit too evil and so confiscates to "let the DOJ sort it out". Months later you are arrested for stealing the original nasty persons alleged stolen lower, registered to him...

/cue tinfoil hat, but possible...?
Absolutely, that's one reason I excluded long guns from the topic. There are 80% 1911's out there though...
Old 03-27-2013, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Absolutely, that's one reason I excluded long guns from the topic. There are 80% 1911's out there though...
I missed that exclusion, my apologies! Interesting topic indeed.
Old 03-27-2013, 9:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ya, that was the one objective answer.... I do see how people might not want to open the door to LE to knowing who they are......

Just like the many of us opposed to registration correct?

I'll tell you this, Sac Sheriff watches this forum and many of us carry concealed. Our Serial numbers of what we carry is in their database and printed on our CCW/LTC. I don't need them snooping on my posts so easily for no other reason than that is my choice.
Old 03-27-2013, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

The Serial number is just another piece of the puzzle, other pieces already identify who you are in less than 5 minutes.
Old 03-27-2013, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post

I'll tell you this, Sac Sheriff watches this forum and many of us carry concealed. Our Serial numbers of what we carry is in their database and printed on our CCW/LTC. I don't need them snooping on my posts so easily for no other reason than that is my choice.
Yep.... totally..
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
What if someone took your serial number and called your local authorities pretending to be you and reported it as stolen?
Quote:
Not a good reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
Maybe an unregistered gun (because not all handguns need legally to be registered) can be fraudulently reported as stolen by some random person on the internet?

Would suck trying to sell your gun only to be told it was reported stolen.
Quote:
Ha, like buying a used Droid or iPhone on eBay, and being told by your phone company that the phone is permanently deactivated because of a previous unpaid account...........
How is what Mossy Man said different from what I said, and why is my post "not a good reason" when you accept his?
Old 03-27-2013, 2:17 PM

I don't need your serial to know what your name and address is. All I need is your username here to track that info down. With that info and your serial I can report your gun stolen with the authorities. Your position that reporting stolen firearms has to be done in person is false. The ATF only requests that you call, but one can simply send in form 3110.11 and many cities have online reporting tools. Furthermore, there are several unofficial databases that won't get the police to your door, but might prevent a sale from going through (such as hotgunz.com) if checked by the buyer (reporting done online and effectively anonymously).

That's not even taking into account people looking up through federal databases. By law those databases have restricted access, but in practice cops use them inappropriately and hackers are much better with computers than the government.

Not to mention that in this country, personal choice IS a valid reason.
Old 03-27-2013, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
How is what Mossy Man said different from what I said, and why is my post "not a good reason" when you accept his?
The word "unregistered"... like something very old, or like a 80% 1911 frame...

I'm pretty sure this one is not in a database... 1938 contract run. Family Heirloom.

Last edited by missiontrails; 03-27-2013 at 3:05 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 2:53 PM

What I want or do not want to reveal about what I have, either partial or full info is my choice and my choice only.

I do not need a justification or reason for any of it.

If you have a problem with it, you can go pound sand.
Old 03-27-2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
That's not an educated answer.

^ I have a feeling that is not even your gun. As you seem to be a Glock guy.
Old 03-27-2013, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigNoche View Post
^ I have a feeling that is not even your gun. As you seem to be a Glock guy.
Will be mine in 6 days
Old 03-27-2013, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Will be mine in 6 days
Ah, congratz!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I never "cared" if people do it, I was interested in valid reasons as to why... that's all.

You are NOT the arbiter of validity.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
It's just peace of mind. Privacy.
That's it right there.

I'm reading some of the "crazy/paranoid" ideas of things that could happen if someone was able to produce any type of "important" data using a gun's serial number... people my not have direct access to these databases, but what about social engineering? There's electronic security and physical security. Somehow, Someway someone could finagle information.

Think of all the "hustle" going on out there that we dont know about until it makes the news, http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ide&id=8958578 - Now, I dont even want to buy gift cards!

I'm on board with "do whatever you want". But the moment someone figures out how to jeopardize your privacy, there will be a lot of "I told you so" going around.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Lol.......it was such a simple question................ I truly wanted to know if I was missing something on this............
If you were truly trying to find an answer to a Simple question, You would not put down other people when they respond

Bodyguard .380 FS/T

Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
I don't need your serial to know what your name and address is. All I need is your username here to track that info down.
True - some people use their email address for their user name. ALL BAD.
Old 03-28-2013, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 03-28-2013, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451040 View Post
You are NOT the arbiter of validity.
Understatement of the year.
Old 03-28-2013, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

With your serial number, I could do the following if didn't care about breaking the law:

Fill out and mail a "no longer in posession" form with DOJ from your local post office, voiding your registration
Fill out and mail a VOLREG form from a post office not local to you, transferring registration to someone else ... then have that someone else report to PD that you stole it back.
Fill out an OPLAW form with DOJ to transfer it to one of your family members without your knowledge
Report the gun stolen
Report the gun as lost
Report to the manufacturer that the gun is destroyed (ending warrenty)
Report to DOJ that the gun is destroyed, making it hard to sell later
Finish an 80% with your serial number, then frame you in a crime
Match your forum name with your real name, then make it "known" to your employer that you own guns. A few folks here would lose their jobs this way.

... a few more...
Old 03-28-2013, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You wrote all that out, when in fact all that one would have to do is simply ask the seller? If you are a buyer they take seriously you will get an answer.

The main point still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
my gripe on the subject is the serials on the guns listed for sale that are not revealed well enough to determine it's exact age and origin.. as if I could potentially buy it without ever knowing who I bought it from or the status of the gun.

I had this conversation once with Browning's leading historian Glen, and he said he wouldn't touch a gun with a ten foot pole without full disclosure of the serial.. and hiding it suggests the owner is unsure of it's innocence or is deliberately hiding something.

the more reasonable threat in my opinion is the mere act of revealing the ownership of a particular model in the clear.. period. Unlikely a thief is going to discriminate by serial numbers but rather go after any items they think they can get away with. And as mentioned, the fastest path to a person's identity/location is generally in the user name and contact info rather than a firearm s/n search in an LE database with restricted and monitored access.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 03-28-2013, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
With your serial number, I could do the following if didn't care about breaking the law:

Fill out and mail a "no longer in posession" form with DOJ from your local post office, voiding your registration
Fill out and mail a VOLREG form from a post office not local to you, transferring registration to someone else ... then have that someone else report to PD that you stole it back.
Fill out an OPLAW form with DOJ to transfer it to one of your family members without your knowledge
Report the gun stolen
Report the gun as lost
Report to the manufacturer that the gun is destroyed (ending warrenty)
Report to DOJ that the gun is destroyed, making it hard to sell later
Finish an 80% with your serial number, then frame you in a crime
Match your forum name with your real name, then make it "known" to your employer that you own guns. A few folks here would lose their jobs this way.

... a few more...

Are you a divorce lawyer?
Old 03-28-2013, 9:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am willing to wager that NOT ONE PERSON in here, except LE, could produce ANY info with a serial number in someone's picture, except or model or year of production info. Someone please disprove me.
You would be wrong. As an attorney and former journalist, I could probably turn up a fair amount of information about you and the gun. Of course I could probably do that without the serial number as well. All I can assure you is that, in general, the more information there is on the internet, the more information there is on the internet. It's pretty easy to link the dots. And those items of information which are supposedly private, and maintained only by the government, have a disturbing habit of becoming public.

My personal opinion is that when people call those who oppose public registries of gun owners paranoid, perhaps they aren't paranoid enough.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancnelson View Post
You would be wrong. As an attorney and former journalist, I could probably turn up a fair amount of information about you and the gun.

As an aside, why can I call 411 and get a listed number but I can't get the same number online without joining Intellius, SearchUSA or some other group? What do YOU use?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

the answer is obvious.

demonstrate their 3l33t skilZ on their serial broken copy of photoshop.

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpark View Post
If you were truly trying to find an answer to a Simple question, You would not put down other people when they respond
That's because people answered without reading first. I was dismissive to answers like "because I want to", "because someone can call the police and report it stolen", "because someone can make a new gun with the same serial".... If people can't chime in with anything cut and dry/objective, I can't fill in my own blanks on the subject, right? So instead of sticking to the topic, go right ahead and defend those who didn't bother to read. People have the right to safeguard their privacy any way they see fit, that was NOT my issue/question.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sure the likelihood of shenanigans is very low, but not impossible - and actually highly advisable to take into consideration. Yet the issue brought forth most importantly here is respect for privacy. I find it odd, especially with more individualist and libertarian minded people, that some are having a problem with the very simple understanding of that and respecting it, even if not agreeing personally.

What is the argument really? Someone wants to keep that information private on a public forum and some here won't acknowledge that as a private choice and instead go on and on about paranoia schemes and yada yada yada tin-foil hat, etc. etc., explain yourself, why this not this or that. It is irrelevant what the motivation is. Respect it. If you don't care personally when you post online for sale or whatever, that's fine too. Your choice, your reasons.

No no! I must prove that person wrong! I must win that I don't agree that they have anything to be concerned about or any reasons for it! I will convince them to publish this for all to see!

..as far as the buying and selling point. If they won't give that to you and you say forget about it, then that is the marketplace and if the seller is having an issue selling it then, that remedies itself organically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
simply ask the seller? gee, I never thought of that

don't know how many firearms you've bought over internet auctions and classifieds but I think you are wrong. I've bought at least fifty that way and must have inquired about at least a hundred times that many.. I see it frequently and it has boiled down to nearly the only means of discovery is upon completed sale which is smart to walk away from.

and my point stands.. there is a very narrow slice of people with access to anything that will actually result in a loss which is a million times less likely than an average thief's attempt simply having the knowledge of your gun ownership.. and the likelihood of any of those with that genuine access using it maliciously AND targeting you is slimmer than winning the lottery.

necessary to flaunt it - no
need to be paraniod if it's revealed - also no

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by odysseus; 03-28-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm going to re-iterate this point for those that do NOT know...

Quote:

Old 03-28-2013, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I like to do it because apparently it bothers some people.
Old 03-28-2013, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Never bothered me....
Old 03-28-2013, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm going to re-iterate this point for those that do NOT know...

Makes sense.
Old 03-28-2013, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancnelson View Post
All I can assure you is that, in general, the more information there is on the internet, the more information there is on the internet.
I would expect no less from a lawyer.

Last edited by xrMike; 03-28-2013 at 2:12 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Hehe. Now I can go with that answer.