Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-30-2013, 6:31 AM
Veteran Member

Default Looking for NRA instructors courses

I'm interested in becoming an instructor, of any sort: rifle, pistol, RSO. I have not completed any NRA basic shooting/safety courses but I was informed by an instructor that my Marine Corps Combat Marksmanship Course qualifications are suitable prerequisites to take instructors courses.

Please correct me of any inaccurate information.
Thank you for any leads pertaining to SD county area and points of contact!
Old 06-30-2013, 7:22 AM

Check the local ranges and ask around. There's NRA coaches and counselors everywhere who run classes to make you an RSO or Instructor.

Or look here....I think this is what I did...

http://training.nra.org/training/bec...nstructor.aspx
Old 06-30-2013, 7:47 AM

Hoo-rah Devil,

The man you need to see is TJ Johnston at All Safe Defense www.allsafedefense.com in Orange, CA (OC). Not too far from you.

There are no prerequisites to become an NRA instructor but it is something else to show that you can train other than having served in the Corps.

Stan
Old 07-01-2013, 3:23 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan08 View Post
Hoo-rah Devil,

The man you need to see is TJ Johnston at All Safe Defense www.allsafedefense.com in Orange, CA (OC). Not too far from you.

There are no prerequisites to become an NRA instructor but it is something else to show that you can train other than having served in the Corps.

Stan
I agree. TJ is a great instructor for these classes!

Scott
Old 07-03-2013, 2:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Not a complete waste of time but I understand what you're saying. If you're expecting a class on shooting, you'll be disappointed. In fact, it doesnt matter how well you shoot but how well you can convey the NRA-sponsored materials to a student.
Old 07-04-2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
I'm an NRA pistol instructor and the class is a complete waste of a weekend. More time is spent on how to advertise and budget for a class than on anything else. A single range qual of a 6" group at 15 yards is the only shooting. Anyone calling themself an NRA instructor really just means they had 2 days and $250 to burn.
I didn't think it was a waste a time because we did go over teaching styles, different personalities etc. I have plenty of things from the Marines Corps and Police Dept that say I was an accomplished shooter but that alone does not equate to being an instructor of any sorts. Nor does the NRA cert turn you into a world class trainer. It is simply another thing to add to your resume as a firearms trainer. Other than the NRA program I can't think of a readily accessible and standardized instructor training program available to the average joe.

Also at most any public range if you want to host a shoot or class you will need your NRA cert in addition to business license and insurance.
Old 07-04-2013, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
I'm interested in becoming an instructor, of any sort: rifle, pistol, RSO. I have not completed any NRA basic shooting/safety courses but I was informed by an instructor that my Marine Corps Combat Marksmanship Course qualifications are suitable prerequisites to take instructors courses.

Please correct me of any inaccurate information.
Thank you for any leads pertaining to SD county area and points of contact!

Punch in the course and area

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
Old 07-15-2013, 6:42 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
I agree. TJ is a great instructor for these classes!

Scott
+3 for TJ Johnston here is one of the premier NRA Training Counselor in the state if not the country. You definitely will feel it was time and money well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
I'm an NRA pistol instructor and the class is a complete waste of a weekend. More time is spent on how to advertise and budget for a class than on anything else. A single range qual of a 6" group at 15 yards is the only shooting. Anyone calling themself an NRA instructor really just means they had 2 days and $250 to burn.
Sounds like you just had a bad training counselor, because the class I took was not like that at all. We went over some marketing stuff, and how to budget a course, but the majority of the time was going over how to teach and preparing for the class we were instructing the following day. It also sounds like you may have been taken to the cleaners, because I don't think I even paid $150.