Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2015, 7:49 PM

Default i need some info on moving to the vista area.

Looks like I'm moving part time to work in the north vista area. It's too far to commute and rents cost the same as a mortgage so I'm looking at a reasonably priced area to purchase in. Most likely looking at a condo or townhouse. I thought about Temecula but that commute seems like an hour each way. I'm looking to stay in the 20 minute or so range if that's possible.

I really don't have a clue as to the areas to avoid. I've heard of gang problems in the Pendleton "back gate" area and east oceanside/fallbrook. That is not info from a local or recent so it could be wrong.

What areas should I avoid? There are lots of 55+ communities so I thought being close to them might be a safe area.
What are the good restaurants in the area?
Any good local ranges and gun shops?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2015, 7:53 PM

if you live in temecula/murrieta area there are tons of military up there and you can van/carpool with them... just an idea.
...as a trade for a glock 43. wtf guys, wtf.
Old 10-23-2015, 8:03 PM

I'm in north oc.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Temecula area will be waaaay ccheaper. Depending on what part of temecula to what part of vista, commute could be as little as 25 minutes, other parts could stretch to an hour with traffic.

Don't rule out temecula. Check out san marcos, cheaper parts of carlsbad, escondido.

Lots of gun shops in the general area:

Iron sights (indoor range)
Turners
Duncan's
North county firearms
Ambrose Armory

Nice new range in poway, plus a couple more.

BLM an hour north, or 2 hours east.

Good luck
Old 10-23-2015, 10:57 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Gunthers guns in Carlsbad.

Lots of breweries and tap rooms.
Old 10-24-2015, 6:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What's "reasonably priced?" With Vista anything north of 78 will be cheaper - south of 78 will be more fancy. And northern Vista will be the cheapest because it's less convenient - but you'll have more peace & quiet.

The intersection of 78 & 15 is bad - it becomes are parking lot during rush hour. That's why I would rule out the Temecula idea from the beginning. Between Vista & San Marcos there should be enough to choose from.
Old 10-24-2015, 6:25 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Take a look at Shadowridge in Vista.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 10-24-2015, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

So far what's been said is accurate.

Off Hacienda near Costco/BMW of Vista on the south side is a fairly priced gated community of nice neighborhood of reasonably sized homes. They are also building some new stuff up on East Vista Way (near Prohibition Brewing) I think Townhomes.

The southeast side of Oceanside might have some deals as well often you see military families that are retiring like my neighbor did and they get outta CA.

As far as gun shops/ranges:

Ranges:
Iron Sights (indoor)
Rainbow
Pala
Escondido Fish and Game (membership not required if you attend their matches, pretty cheap too, I love that place).
Poway Weapons and Gear )indoor( (not too far but super busy on weekends, 100 yard lanes)

Gun shops:

Empowered (Vista) great family run local biz, I like spending my money there. Have an awesome simulator for practice/fun/training. A must check out.Chad the owner is great, his wife Leann does a great service to the females as well by having specialized training.
Gunther (Carlsbad) likely to have 25 yard indoor range real soon, super nice folks.
North County Firearms right off 78 in San Marcos
Ambrose Armory off 78 and Nordahl I guess this is San Marcos, but could be leeching into Escondido. Nice folks, good selection, armorers on site.
Quantico Tactical in oceanside often has great deals on ammo.

feel free to pm me for more.
Old 10-24-2015, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you can afford it, choose Carlsbad, a better quality of life without those gang-bangers you get in Vista and Oceanside.
Old 10-24-2015, 4:05 PM
Banned

No real secret...
You just gotta look at prices.
Then you look at locations and the surrounding areas yourself.
Then after looking at the best place in the best location in your price range, you pick one. It will always be some kind of compromise.

There are great little pockets in Vista that have private driveways that hold 4-6 homes spread out in valleys, on hills, etc..
You find a modest sized 2-3 bdrms w/ small yards everywhere.
Finding a good one will take some time/effort/great realtor.

FWIW...I looked at 50-60 houses over 6 weeks before finding my place.
I got SUPER lucky when it fell out and came onto the market.
You could even say that Darrel Issa lives in the neighborhood.

Places to avoid...
Los Angeles st, Citrus ave, Townsite, and some areas along Santa Fe going north from Vista Village to past Bobier.
And long East Vista way from Townsite to Taylor st.
East of Melrose from Hacienda to Bobier.

But there are some real jewels around here too.
Moderate temps, ocean views, San Diego/Los Angeles close.
And 14 great breweries.

Old 10-24-2015, 9:08 PM

I want to stay close to 300k or less as its just a place to crash m-f.
Old 10-24-2015, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Take a look at Shadowridge in Vista.
+1. Shadowridge is nice. But generally I would try and avoid most of Vista. Shadowridge and the south is probably better than the north.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...5c1389e14bf78d

Along the 5 freeway...

Oceanside - has a lot of bad areas but some nice ones. The very south part of Oceanside that butts up against Carlsbad isn't too bad. Fire Mountain (the area above the Walmart that sits on the west end of the 78) is nice but it's probably more homes than townhouses/condos

Carlsbad - has a lot of nice areas and the community as a whole is pretty safe.

Encinitas is a great area. It's an older beach community with lots of upscale properties mixed in with lots of older places. Generally you can expect prices to increase as you move west...particularly west of the 5.

After Encinitas you have Solana Beach and Del Mar. Nice areas for sure but very expensive.

Along the 78...

The west end of the 78 east to the Shadowridge area is safe and a nice area.

San Marcos is ok. San Marcos State University is there so there's a large student population in the immediate area.

Along the 15...

Escondido - I would personally avoid Escondido but no place is 100% bad.

Elfin Forest - This area sits west of the 15 and south of the 78. It's a safe area and has more of a rural feel to it...cause it is. I honestly don't know what's available in terms of condos and such but I mention it because it is a nice area. I'll toss in Fairbanks Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe here too, just to mention them. They are VERY expensive...sprawling estates and that kind of thing.

Rancho Bernardo - Sits mostly on the east side of the 15. This used to be a big retirement community and there's still a lot of older folks there but it's a mix of young and old at this point. It's a good area. Safe and a lot of families.

4S Ranch - Nice area. Newer. A bit further south is Black Mountain, Rancho Penasquitos, and Carmel Mountain Ranch which are safe as well.

Also some general comments...and this is just my opinion. The 78 freeway just sucks...cause it's a three lane freeway and should really be 6. And the 15 isn't much better. Rush hour sucks all over San Diego but if I had my choice, I would rather drive on the 5 at rush hour. You may not be able to avoid this but I would give that some thought with respect to where you buy.

Your 20 minute rule - It's a little hard to gauge this for you as it can take you 45 minutes (or longer) just to cross from one end of the 78 to the other at rush hour. If you truly mean "20 minutes at rush hour," then you're really probably locked into the areas to the immediate north and south of the 78. To that end, I would rather be on the south side of the 78 than the north and more west than east.

Gun Shops - Direct Action Solutions and Gunfighter Tactical are my two personal favorites. They're a bit of a drive from where you will be working but worth it in my opinion. Iron Sights is the range in the area and it's decent enough. The range in Rainbow is members only I think (maybe someone can confirm this). As a side note, I've heard good things about Gunthers in Carlsbad but have never been in.

Food...once you pick an area we can help more with that. And/or if you have specific cuisine in mind.

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
+1. Shadowridge is nice. But generally I would try and avoid most of Vista. Shadowridge and the south is probably better than the north.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...5c1389e14bf78d
If you don't live here, how can you say what is good or bad ??

I can take you to Carlsbad, and you'll see barrios and gangs there too.

OP, I've lived all over O'side, C-bad, and Vista over the past 23 years.
Guess where I bought a house 5 years ago....Vista.

Good areas are everywhere here.
And at your price point...forget Carlsbad.
Escondido is the worst of the N. county cities IMHO.
San Marcos is another good choice, and like everywhere else, there are areas to be avoided.

But for cost of living, close to most everything/anything, OP's $300K price point, the climate, a great gun shop at Empowered Firearms,
lots of breweries, and the fact we are represented by Republicans...there is no real down side to living here.