Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Default Bay Area indoor range that allows rifles?

I’m looking to take my old-lady and her friend to the range. I’m not about to take them to an outdoor rifle range… I feel having myself and two novice gals out at the 100 yard line is just plain inconsiderate to other shooters who are there to take the sport seriously. Neither of them have any idea of what’s going on; to me it’s just not safe to have them out on a firing line. Not to mention I don’t have patience for nonsense out there, if one of them were to make a mistake and get yelled at over the loud speaker I know they would get all fuzzy on me and upset about it… I hoping someone can tell me of an indoor range that allows rifle calibers AND doesn’t require frangible ammo. I have plenty of good Federal Eagle .223 that’s not steel cased that’s good to go. Basically I feel an indoor 25 yard range is a much safer environment for novice shooters and allows for a much more seamless shooting lesson that I will inevitably be giving.

To sum it up, I live in Berkeley and hope there is an indoor range within a reasonable distance that will allow me to rifle my AR15 inside using standard non-frangible ammunition… Any options out there gentleman? Thank you!

Oh yea! Here is my new unit, very proud!

Old 08-03-2013, 7:01 AM

There are none that i know of... Why dont you just rent a .22 rifle and let them start on that?

Another thing, I been teaching firearms for 10 years and when my wife decided that she wanted to learn and buy a gun i sent her to someone else for instruction.. She learned so much better because there wasnt that need to please because she knew me or that huffy puffy get all fuzzy and frustrated because of our relationship.... Just soemthing to think about...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Bullseye in San Rafael does. It's only 25 yards and you have to buy their expensive frangible ammo though.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Buy the .22lr kit for it and your set to go to any indoor range.
Old 08-03-2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Maker View Post
There are none that i know of... Why dont you just rent a .22 rifle and let them start on that?

Another thing, I been teaching firearms for 10 years and when my wife decided that she wanted to learn and buy a gun i sent her to someone else for instruction.. She learned so much better because there wasnt that need to please because she knew me or that huffy puffy get all fuzzy and frustrated because of our relationship.... Just soemthing to think about...
Are there any outdoor ranges that allow renting? ...and your idea about sending her to someone else does indeed sound smart. It's not that I don't feel confident in my shooting and safety, but it truly is very important she learns the correct mode of operation of a range...
Old 08-03-2013, 9:08 PM

Reeds is indoors but does have rentals.

http://www.reedsindoorrange.com/range.html

Some training groups do have rentals as part of the package if I remember correctly.
Old 08-04-2013, 6:48 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Why not try Chabot / Castro valley with your 223 rifle and let them shoot at the close distance - it's 20 or 25 yards. ( They have lanes for 25/50/75/100 yards). Beautiful outdoor setting and not far from you in Berkeley.
Old 08-05-2013, 6:36 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trgt View Post
Why not try Chabot / Castro valley with your 223 rifle and let them shoot at the close distance - it's 20 or 25 yards. ( They have lanes for 25/50/75/100 yards). Beautiful outdoor setting and not far from you in Berkeley.
As a matter of fact this is what I did! I had a sit down with my shooters and explained the safety aspects of the range, and a few heads up, and it all went well. I'm not sure why I was stressing so much, I guess I just over do it...as usual with most things. Anyways, the Chabot range was a great spot for my shoot yesterday. It accommodated my novice friends well and allowed me to still enjoy myself... Anyways, thank you!
Old 08-05-2013, 3:41 PM

If you don't feel confident with beginners on a public range, maybe send them to a one day class. NRA does a great Women on Target for both handguns and rifles. Generally it's relationship suicide to teach a Significant Other how to drive or shoot, or practically anything.

And I wouldn't get a complex about what the 'serious shooters' think. Who really cares, as long as everyone is shooting safely? Everyone was a beginner at some time.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM

If they're new shooters, don't take them to an indoor range. Most of the problems I've had with new shooters have been related to noise, and indoor ranges amplify the report of the weapon.

Remember, what may be fine for you could be very disconcerting for those that aren't used to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

As said bullseye allows .223 with frangible ammo. Can also go to united sportsman in concord, they have a 50/100 yard range for rifles. I took my lady friend and her biggest complaint was that the scope on the .22 I bought her sucked (she's right it does!). I've always had good luck at the concord range for rifles, don't particularly like the pistol range though.