Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 09-12-2013, 3:11 PM

Default Ammo restrictions for ranges in Bay Area

Back when I was in LA, most range posted (online) the ammo restriction in a very detailed manner.

Example:
- Steel-jacketed and bi-metal ammunition is not allowed during the dry months of the year due to fire danger.
- Steel-core (green tip) ammunition is never allowed.

However, for ranges in Bay Area, I don't see such information. For example, these are the range that I want to visit:

- Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club: No restrictions on calibers (except .50 BMG)
- Chabot: NOT allowed - if it burns, glows, explodes, gives off noxious fumes or just about anything except go thump into the dirt.

So in the Bay Area, can I use pretty much any ammo? Steel jacketed, penetrator.. Well.. except exploding ammo, trace, etc..

BTW, I am planning to get ADI 5.56mm. Anyone have any experience with this ammo?

LINKY

"62 grain projectile with a composite core with hardened steel penetrator and lead slug enclosed in a gilding metal jacket. Muzzle velocity of 2969fps. This ammo is reloadable brass cased, boxer primed, magnetic, and non-corrosive."
Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Chabot

I was shooting at Chabot last weekend and I was shooting all my steel ammo that I cannot shoot in LA ranges.
Old 10-02-2013, 1:54 PM

Target Masters West, Milpitas, CA
- No calibers above .450
- No rifle calibers
- No slugs or buckshot in shotguns

Questionable:
- Reloads
- Non-Brass Ammunition
- Picking up brass that did not come from you

It's been awhile since I've worked there so someone will want to check me on these. They don't like reloads because some people load them hot. They also don't like non-brass ammunition because they collect/sell recovered brass and they don't want to sort through the aluminum/steel.

::EDIT::
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
BTW, I am planning to get ADI 5.56mm. Anyone have any experience with this ammo?

LINKY

"62 grain projectile with a composite core with hardened steel penetrator and lead slug enclosed in a gilding metal jacket. Muzzle velocity of 2969fps. This ammo is reloadable brass cased, boxer primed, magnetic, and non-corrosive."
Not the right forum. Put up a post in the Ammunition forum, you are more likely to get hits/answers.

Last edited by Rebel; 10-02-2013 at 2:00 PM.. Reason: reasons for rules
Old 10-02-2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpang View Post
I was shooting at Chabot last weekend and I was shooting all my steel ammo that I cannot shoot in LA ranges.
Including rifle ammo?
Old 10-02-2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Target Masters West, Milpitas, CA
- No calibers above .450
- No rifle calibers
- No slugs or buckshot in shotguns

Questionable:
- Reloads
- Non-Brass Ammunition
- Picking up brass that did not come from you

It's been awhile since I've worked there so someone will want to check me on these. They don't like reloads because some people load them hot. They also don't like non-brass ammunition because they collect/sell recovered brass and they don't want to sort through the aluminum/steel.

::EDIT::

Not the right forum. Put up a post in the Ammunition forum, you are more likely to get hits/answers.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-02-2013, 5:13 PM

Reed's Santa Clara CA
No steel projectiles.
No steel cases.
No rifles above .22 cal (some exceptions)
Pistols: I've seen S&W .500 shooters
Shotguns: Slugs, Buck, Shot are all OK.
Picking up your own brass is OK, it's nice to let them know if you plan on it.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks for those who replied. Hmm.. kinda sad Reed's and Target Master doesn't allow 223/556. Keep em coming!

How about Chabot AND/OR Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club?

PS: Tried to email em, no response. Tried to call, phone just ring.
Old 10-08-2013, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I dunno, man. I've never had a single issue with any range for any ammo. Reeds respectfully requests I police every single steel case if I shoot it. I comply and we are all happy.

TargetMasters is an exception. They have specific range rules:

1. Noone shall shoot with any regard to muzzle control.
2. Noone shall shoot with any regard to caliber restrictions. .223 is acceptable until we come in to tell you to knock it off. 50 BMG shall be acceptable if you think you can set up and fire before we come in to tell you to knock it off.
3. Common sense is strongly discouraged at these range facilities.
4. Common courtesy is expressly forbidden at all times.
Old 10-09-2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
Thanks for those who replied. Hmm.. kinda sad Reed's and Target Master doesn't allow 223/556. Keep em coming!

How about Chabot AND/OR Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club?
No rifle cartridges allowed at Reed's or TM?

BE A MAN AND SHOOT YOUR RIFLE FARTHER THAN YOU CAN THROW IT!!!

I've never taken heat for using steel case ammo at Chabot, Los Altos, or Livermore.
Come ON. They will charge you for the KY jelly btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
I love French rifles most "Brand new only dropped once"
Old 10-09-2013, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Chabot doesn't care.

The San Leandro outdoor range has some extra rules partially because they're so close to the airport and they're pretty paranoid. Hit their website for details but it's not a great place to shoot anyway (the indoor part is fine if you like indoor ranges).
Old 10-10-2013, 6:47 AM

Santa Clara Field Sports Park (aka Metcalf):
- No rifle or handgun ammunition restrictions

Unknown:
- I don't know their policy on shotgun shells as I have never taken a shotgun there.

Be warned that a few of the employees can be range nazis. If you even peer over the safe line during the safe period you will get yelled at; and I mean yelled. In general I've found the old guys to be better than the young guys there.

Livermore Rod & Gun Club:
- No restrictions on ammo that I am aware of.
Old 10-10-2013, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, I was just told by the RO at USI in Concord that they allow the green tip 556 now. This was when I went to buy ammo and he offered me a case of Federal XM855 - I said well I can't shoot that here - he told me they changed the rule since thats all they have for sale.
Old 10-10-2013, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Richmond Rod and Gun:

I'll comment on what I know to be true.. as usual, if unsure, it's good that you contact the range in question..

Rifle/Pistol range:
FMJ, Steel core, HP, soft point.. calibers 17 up to 50 cal for pistol, up to 50 cal for rifle, not exactly sure about 50 BMG.. Call ahead and ask. No stockless shotguns (ie pistol grip with no shoulder stock). You are allowed to shoot slugs and bird shot (they will sell you bird shot), not positive about Buckshot..

Action range:
Rifles allowed to shoot paper and clays with very limited use of steel targets for actual competitions.. no Steel core or bi-metal allowed as it destroys the steel.

Pistols: Soft point, fmj, HP, lead.. Steel core or bi metal jacketed usually ok for paper, but not for steel..

Shotguns: Bird shot, buck shot, and slugs ok on paper, birdshot/buckshot on steel and clays, no slugs on steel ever since it presents a fragmenting issue. All of that energy also will likely destroy the steel targets.

Trap/Skeet range:

Bio-degradeable wads, non toxic shot ONLY.. Since we shoot over the water, we were required many years back to switch to non toxic shot and Bio/photo-degradeable wads.. The range sells the Kent Ammo in 12 and 20 gauge and also sells steel shot and wads to those who want to try their hand at reloading.

One thing to note, the Shotgun and Rifle/Pistol ranges are starting to accept debit and credit cards.. Something new