Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-23-2018, 9:25 PM
Banned

Default Aluminum Frame Handguns

I'm looking at a CZ RAMI right now which has an aluminum frame/lower. Is it true that aluminum frames have a finite life of only 5,000 to 15,000 rounds before they crack or wear out? Is it just not possible for one to last as long as an all steel or polymer & steel gun?
Old 04-23-2018, 9:27 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

The Beretta M9 proved a MRBF of 35,000 rounds during Army testing. And during monitored testing of randomly selected M9s pulled off the assembly line, they went an avearge of 22,500 rounds each without even a single stoppage.

In one Army supervised test, twelve randomly selected M9 pistols fired 168,000 total rounds without a single malfunction.

There was a guy who claims over 100k rounds fired through one, his Youtube video is out there somewhere.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-23-2018 at 9:38 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 9:28 PM

Nope, not true

Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing to worry about. Check out the P01 and PCR they are aluminum framed as well.

Even steel framed guns could crack. Its possible.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 04-23-2018 at 10:05 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta11 View Post
Is it true that aluminum frames have a finite life of only 5,000 to 15,000 rounds before they crack or wear out? Is it just not possible for one to last as long as an all steel or polymer & steel gun?
Not true at all.

Aluminum can be stronger than certain grades of steel - it depends on the specific composition and the manufacturing process used (e.g. cast, forged).
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 PM

I was issued a lot of different M9's over the years at bases all across the globe, and fired them all in various range scenarios. They had all been carried by many people before my turn too. In all the post-range and periodic cleanings and inspections over 20 years I never found any cracks. The older pistols were noticeably looser than the newer pistols, but they all worked fine.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm looking at a CZ RAMI right now which has an aluminum frame/lower. Is it true that aluminum frames have a finite life of only 5,000 to 15,000 rounds before they crack or wear out? Is it just not possible for one to last as long as an all steel or polymer & steel gun?
The design is as important as the material.
If the design is appropriate to the material, the life can be very long.
If you try to substitute aluminum into a design made for steel, aluminum frames have a very short life.
That is likely what you are hearing about.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 04-23-2018, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

A properly lubricated aluminum framed pistol will outlast an all steel gun that is run when dry.

A lubricated aluminum framed pistol will outlast it's fire control group and several barrels.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 04-24-2018, 2:24 AM

My Ruger P89 has seeen untold amounts of ammo throughout its life. No galling at all.

Still alive, still fight.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 04-24-2018, 5:36 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The design is as important as the material.
If the design is appropriate to the material, the life can be very long.
If you try to substitute aluminum into a design made for steel, aluminum frames have a very short life.
That is likely what you are hearing about.
^^^^this.
Old 04-24-2018, 5:59 AM

No issues with my P-01 after 10k rounds. Running strong and ugly as hell under the hood.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Maybe dumb q, but has polymer been put to the test without stoppage or any statistics before stoppage?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthcharge View Post
Maybe dumb q, but has polymer been put to the test without stoppage or any statistics before stoppage?
Many, many, many times.

Military and LE agencies tend to do this kind of testing.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
...If you try to substitute aluminum into a design made for steel, aluminum frames have a very short life...
The first thing that comes to mind is a Lightweight Commander 1911. 1911s have been in service a long time and it is known that frames can beat themselves to an early demise but you have to put a LOT of rounds through the gun to find the weaknesses. I love Lightweight Commanders so they get shot but I usually put them on light duty. Except for serious use target guns, I have no hesitation buying aluminum frame handguns.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:50 AM

all have advantages and disadvantages so pick the one that feels best to you. No weapon is perfect so it is important to find what fits you best. I am not a polymar or aluminum frame person but then I am old school. I would never bad mouth someone who felt better and shot better using one of those two framed guns. I would be glad he found what was right for him or her. take care of your guns and they will take care of you.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 PM

When the Walther P-38 was made into an aluminum model they developed lots of problems. The cracking problem was corrected by inserting a steel pin at the lock block location. Allu minum was definate ly less durable in that case. Having said all this, however, by s designed from the start as aluminum seem to have no troubles, such as with the Beretta.
Mauserguy
Old 04-24-2018, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I've personally seen Beretta 92FS frames, slides, and especially locking blocks crack many times. I've even seen a barrel develop a crack. These were high usage and abused range rentals mostly in the late 1990's-early 2000's time frame. I have seen most the major brands eventually develope cracks.

Actually I have never seen an aluminum frame Ruger P series frame crack. I talked to a Glock rep about it she tried to blame it on commercial reload range ammo but all the rentals were fed the same type ammo so an equal playing field.

The durability champ was a Ruger GP100 only ever needed some minor spring replaced once. I currently have a Beretta 1951 that needs a locking block, you guessed it, it cracked.
Old 04-24-2018, 8:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I've personally seen Beretta 92FS frames, slides, and especially locking blocks crack many times. I've even seen a barrel develop a crack. These were high usage and abused range rentals mostly in the late 1990's-early 2000's time frame. I have seen most the major brands eventually develope cracks.

Actually I have never seen an aluminum frame Ruger P series frame crack. I talked to a Glock rep about it she tried to blame it on commercial reload range ammo but all the rentals were fed the same type ammo so an equal playing field.

The durability champ was a Ruger GP100 only ever needed some minor spring replaced once. I currently have a Beretta 1951 that needs a locking block, you guessed it, it cracked.
This is what I was hoping someone would verify. I always felt like that was prone to happen on the 92. Interesting to think the GP100 would hold up so well. I spoke to my local range staff and they said the Glocks, XDs, PX4, and 1911s were the longest running/least prone to breakage out of all their rentals.
Old 04-25-2018, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Glocks and 1911's were middle of the road for us. They would both eventually develop slide cracks.
Old 04-25-2018, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserguy View Post
When the Walther P-38 was made into an aluminum model they developed lots of problems. The cracking problem was corrected by inserting a steel pin at the lock block location. Allu minum was definate ly less durable in that case. Having said all this, however, by s designed from the start as aluminum seem to have no troubles, such as with the Beretta.
Mauserguy
Thanks for that info, I have a P-01* built in 1965 that I bought new (never issued police gun) with what is called an alloy frame. Do you know when the issue was corrected?

*- The P-38 became the P-01 after the war.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 04-25-2018, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I think those Walthers got the bolt in the frame to help with that cracking problem sometime in mid 1960's. I'm not sure of exact date. I have one from 1965 with it.
Old 04-25-2018, 7:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I think you need to separate yourself from that source of wherever or whomever you got that info from, but that is absolutely not true.
Old 04-25-2018, 3:21 PM

I'm not sure when Walther fixed the P01/P38 frame cracking problem. I believe it was in the early '60s. They made aluminum guns marked both as P-38 and P-01. The steel bolt models are definitely preferred for frequently shot guns.
Mauserguy
Old 04-25-2018, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

The only issue I've had with my aluminum framed 1911 is: it's VERY easy to strip out the grip screw bushings.

I haven't recorded every shot, but I'm pretty sure I'm up above 3500-4000 rounds by now.
Old 04-25-2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fal_762x51 View Post
My Ruger P89 has seeen untold amounts of ammo throughout its life. No galling at all.
Same with mine. Had it since 1999. If I had to guess, I'd say it has around 15000 rounds through it. I've shot it a lot.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Back in the day, aluminum framed pistols and revolvers - didn't hold up as well as the steel framed guns- that's why you had revolvers and pistols not rated / or approved to shoot + P ammo or the Norma super vel rounds.

In fact most mfg's cautioned / or voided the warranty if you did shoot those high pressure rounds.

I remember seeing the H&K Vz 18 shot polymer pistol and going blaa - that thing will blow itself up and who would buy such a thing ( polymer guns )

Now a days steel, aluminum, and polymer guns are all about the same - durability wise, and with modern metals and engineering Will work under the right circumstance.

Of course not maintaining your gun, and also shooting +P+ round might accelerate wear, but if you shoot a lot ( as with all tools ) your gun may not last forever, everything can break with constant use.

YMMV

Last edited by acaligunner; 04-25-2018 at 11:09 PM..
Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 PM

My EMP 9mm is aluminum framed. I haven't experienced any issues related to the frame.

The night sight tritium vials falling out of the font sight post twice and the ejector bar becoming unglued (yes, unGLUED), have been issues. Frame is fine though.
Old 05-02-2018, 2:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Bump

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

- If the Democrats thought for one seconds that Illegals were voting republican, You'd see the Border Wall from Space! - Abe Lincoln
Old 05-02-2018, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Ramped barrels + aluminum frames
Old 05-02-2018, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

On aluminum frame 1911's that aren't ramped you want to be sure to use magazines with followers that are contained and can't get dragged forward into the frame. Also, stay on top of your recoil spring replacements.

I haven't damaged or cracked an aluminum frame 1911 yet but I did crack the frame on a steel Combat Commander; I had it welded and I'm still shooting it.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 05-02-2018, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

My P226 MK25 spontaneously combusted after it was removed from the plastic bag immediately after pickup. I think the test fire was one too many for the aluminum frame making it as brittle as graham crackers.