Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Off Duty Options for Carnival Cruise

I'm going on my first ever cruise... just a 3 day to Mexico, . So, if you guys have gone on a cruise, what did you do with your off duty while out at sea?

I was thinking maybe a local gun dealer?
Old 12-16-2017, 1:07 PM

Put it in your locker at work if you don't want to leave it at home?
Old 12-16-2017, 1:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In your locker at station. Or give to gunsmith for cleaning. pick up when back.
Old 12-16-2017, 1:31 PM

if you stay in hotel the day before they may have a secured lock box, I used this a few times while departing LB, stayed at the Queen Mary, I have secured a 1911, had to break down to fit in lock box. Did this 4 times. Secured arm, walked across parking lot departed, came back walked back across parking lot, took less than 5 minutes to pick up and back up I5 I went.
Old 12-16-2017, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Outside of the issue with the Carnival booze cruise, why not just leave it at home? A lot easier than taking it with you to LA and hoping to find some place that will store it for you.
Old 12-16-2017, 4:03 PM

Don't bother getting off the boat in Ensenada.

Old 12-16-2017, 9:41 PM

I literally just got back from the 4 day Carnival Ensanada/Catalina cruise yesterday. Id say leave tge gun in your work or home safe. Ensanada was plenty safe without it. To be honest i felt my most unsafe when taking BART back from SF to the East Bay
Old 12-16-2017, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Leave it at home. They have metal detectors before you even board. If you succeed in getting it on the ship, taking it into Mexican waters is the same as taking it across the border.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 PM

I don't mean to be rude but, is this a legit question? If you have to ask the queation, then you might be in the wrong profession.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 11:05 PM

I'll be traveling from Northern California, so nowhere near where I work, and I don't keep it there anyways. I usually carry, especially when I'm traveling.
Ron-Solo, I wasn't even thinking of trying to get on the boat with it, and I'm not planning on getting off in Mexico. We're going to enjoy what the ship has to offer. But, the cruise is just a part of my longer vacation. Leaving it home is a definite possibility, but I'd like to have it with me for the rest of my vacation if possible. I was thinking someone might have some advice on where to store it, like maybe a reputable gun store who'd rent some space in their safe. Not being from So. Cal, I'm not familiar with the shops... more importantly, the reputable ones.

And for Frank1911, I've been very successful in my career by asking questions. Maybe your "queation" [sic] isn't legit?
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
Don't bother getting off the boat in Ensenada.
- if you want to miss out on the best shrimp tacos/seafood cocktails youíll ever have.

FYI, shrimp farms are right around the corner(near the bufadora) so product is always fresh. Damn. My mouth is salivating just thinking about it.
Old 12-17-2017, 7:37 AM

Maybe you can leave it at the local PD. I did it twice. Once when I went to Canada, I left my pistol at a local agency in Washington state. They took my pistol for "safe keeping." Also, when I went to Mexico, I left my pistol at a local SDPD station.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Leave it at home. They have metal detectors before you even board. If you succeed in getting it on the ship, taking it into Mexican waters is the same as taking it across the border.
Good points, not only are you subject to Mexican laws while in Mexican waters, you're also subject to the laws of the cruise ship's state of registry once you hit the 12 mile mark. Carnival ships are registered in Panama and the Bahamas. You need a firearms permit for both countries and the penalties for possession of an unpermitted firearm are severe (Bahamas will tourists to possess firearms on their own vessels, but have to be secured by a lock).
Old 12-17-2017, 10:52 AM

When in Ensenada, i highly recommend getting off the boat and at least taking the $3 round trip bus to the downtown area. There is also a place near La Bufadora called Habana Banana that lets you play with baby Lions, Tigers, and Jaguars. It was a fun experience and we got at least 5 free shots of taquila while there. Like I said again, Ensenada is plenty safe (they make sure Cartel doesnt roam near tourist income). Plus if you think about it, how many times have you had to draw down on someone when off duty? Leave the gun in the safe and enjoy your vacation.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:00 AM

When Vovlo said, "Don't bother getting off the boat in Ensenada", I think he meant to not get off the boat if the OP was planning on taking a gun. Guns are very illegal in Mexico. If you feel like touring a Mexican prison, go for it.

I don't think anyone was trying to say that the city itself was unusually unsafe.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Last time I went to Canada, I checked into the possibility of having a local Washington agency store my firearm(s) for a few days - they were amenable and I would have provided a case of their favorite suds for the favor but I ended up only taking knives for the trip and not using them. Like Micro suggested, maybe check with a local PD?

As far as no cartel activity at tourist centers, type in something like "cartel activity near tourist mexico" in Google search. You never know.
Old 12-17-2017, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Good points, not only are you subject to Mexican laws while in Mexican waters, you're also subject to the laws of the cruise ship's state of registry once you hit the 12 mile mark. Carnival ships are registered in Panama and the Bahamas. You need a firearms permit for both countries and the penalties for possession of an unpermitted firearm are severe (Bahamas will tourists to possess firearms on their own vessels, but have to be secured by a lock).
Well, like I said a few posts earlier, I am not planning on attempting to bring it. I'm inquiring about where to store it, on land, while I'm out to sea. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough for everyone. First thing I did before my op was check with Carnival if they had land based places to secure items... apparently they do not.

Thanks for the suggestions about trying local P.D.s and S.O.s. I'll try that.
Old 12-17-2017, 5:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I think if a gun store holds it, it has to go into their books, and you would have to DROS it to get it back.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-17-2017, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesonamac View Post
I'll be traveling from Northern California, so nowhere near where I work, and I don't keep it there anyways. I usually carry, especially when I'm traveling.
Ron-Solo, I wasn't even thinking of trying to get on the boat with it, and I'm not planning on getting off in Mexico. We're going to enjoy what the ship has to offer. But, the cruise is just a part of my longer vacation. Leaving it home is a definite possibility, but I'd like to have it with me for the rest of my vacation if possible. I was thinking someone might have some advice on where to store it, like maybe a reputable gun store who'd rent some space in their safe. Not being from So. Cal, I'm not familiar with the shops... more importantly, the reputable ones.

And for Frank1911, I've been very successful in my career by asking questions. Maybe your "queation" [sic] isn't legit?
I wasnít sure what you meant. Youíd be surprised what some people will try.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-17-2017, 5:46 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

OP: I am a LEO and I have taken that exact cruise several times. You will have fun and eat / drink plenty. You can either secure the weapon within your vehicle in a locked container, or leave it at home. I suppose it is possible a nearby agency may let you borrow a gun locker, but I wouldn't count on it.

And I wouldn't get off the boat in Mexico. At all. Many years ago it was a neat place to visit for cruise passengers. However, considering the current state of affairs , I don't have much confidence in local LE to protect the tourists with any certainty.
Old 12-17-2017, 5:58 PM

Im LEO and I left mine with the US Customs officers at the port. Contact them before entering the terminal and tell them you don't want to leave it in your car. They gave me a receipt and put it in their office safe. Picked it up both times at end of cruises with no issues. They're great peeps.
Old 12-17-2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1911 View Post
I don't mean to be rude but, is this a legit question? If you have to ask the queation, then you might be in the wrong profession.
^^^ I totally agree. While I wonít even use my own restroom at home without having a gun on me, when it comes to international travel including a cruise, the guns(s) stay home unfortunately.

Iím totally spoiled and fortunate enough to go on cruises all the time as I have a close relative that works for a major cruise line and I get about 40% off my cruise vacations. Iíve been cruising for the past 30 years regularly every year. That being said, Carnival is so disappointing compared to other cruise lines. After your Ensenada trip, try a different cruise line. Itís worth it to go with a nicer cruise line. And only get a room thatís either a full suite or mini suite if you can afford it. Itís worth it.

Ensenada.... I wouldnít even get off the ship. The town where the ship docks is a bung-hole Mexican ghetto. Trying to bring a gun on a cruise line is like committing suicide. Donít do it. Going to Ensenada just for ďtacosĒ is a waste of fricking time and effort, let alone your safety. Safety is totally out the window in Ensenada as well as Cabo now.

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Trumpís SCOTUS: 2 / Dems: 0
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
^^^ I totally agree. While I wonít even use my own restroom at home without having a gun on me, when it comes to international travel including a cruise, the guns(s) stay home unfortunately.

Iím totally spoiled and fortunate enough to go on cruises all the time as I have a close relative that works for a major cruise line and I get about 40% off my cruise vacations. Iíve been cruising for the past 30 years regularly every year. That being said, Carnival is so disappointing compared to other cruise lines. After your Ensenada trip, try a different cruise line. Itís worth it to go with a nicer cruise line. And only get a room thatís either a full suite or mini suite if you can afford it. Itís worth it.

Ensenada.... I wouldnít even get off the ship. The town where the ship docks is a bung-hole Mexican ghetto. Trying to bring a gun on a cruise line is like committing suicide. Donít do it. Going to Ensenada just for ďtacosĒ is a waste of fricking time and effort, let alone your safety. Safety is totally out the window in Ensenada as well as Cabo now.
Good advice above.

I spent several years in the Coast Guard and had a lot of contact with the various cruise operators. Carnival is by far the worst. Their operating standards are low and they've more than their share of problems as a result. Holland America is pretty clearly the best. I was in Alaska when they had the fire and rescue aboard the Prinsendam. That case involved the evacuation of more than 500 passengers in the Gulf of Alaska without any significant injury. A lot of the credit goes to the preparation and professionalism of the Holland America crew. That same outcome would not have been possible on a Carnival vessel.
Old 12-18-2017, 2:37 AM

You guys are getting way off track in this thread. The OP isn't asking your opinion of ports of call or which cruise line is best, he's asking about storing his firearm. Try to stay on point. I own stock, lots of it, in both Carnival and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and have travelled extensively on both, plus a couple of others. Newsflash, there are no other 3 day, or 4 day cruises out of Long Beach, or San Pedro to Mexico on any cruise line other than Carniaval. The best ones spend a day at Catalina Island. Yeah, the ships are the older ones, but the food is mostly the same. Been on over 30 cruises all around the world and know what I'm talking about. Will be going on three more starting in January. Travel mostly on RCCL as we receive the most shareholder / loyalty benefits on that line.
Old 12-18-2017, 8:00 PM

Hijack alert:

IME, Cruises are Diet Killers (especially the 7 day Alaska ones lol)! I'm not planning on going on another until I get my fat *** back in some semblance of shape...

Ok, back to your original programming...
Old 12-18-2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
You guys are getting way off track in this thread. The OP isn't asking your opinion of ports of call or which cruise line is best, he's asking about storing his firearm. Try to stay on point. I own stock, lots of it, in both Carnival and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and have travelled extensively on both, plus a couple of others. Newsflash, there are no other 3 day, or 4 day cruises out of Long Beach, or San Pedro to Mexico on any cruise line other than Carniaval. The best ones spend a day at Catalina Island. Yeah, the ships are the older ones, but the food is mostly the same. Been on over 30 cruises all around the world and know what I'm talking about. Will be going on three more starting in January. Travel mostly on RCCL as we receive the most shareholder / loyalty benefits on that line.
Look who’s calling the kettle black? You tell us that we’re all getting off track, yet you dive into your stock options, then tell us the itinerarys of a cruise line, then you tell us about your personal upcoming vacation plans!

Good grief!

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-18-2017, 10:05 PM

Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 12-19-2017, 8:21 AM

This thread is awesome.
Old 12-19-2017, 9:51 AM

Unhappy

The OP asked about what to do with a gun while on a cruise. It was simply answered more times than not. ďDonít bring it on boardĒ was the message. Case closed.

The secondary topic in this thread was discussed simply because the OP had obviously sparked interest with others (including me) about cruising in general. Since topic ďoneĒ was already ďasked and answered,Ē the topic shifted to cruise lines and cruising, because the OP included it in his original question. So whatís the problem?

Topic transitioning in this particular thread seems rather apropos.

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-27-2017, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Stay on the boat.

As of late November the count is 23,968 homicides.

http://www.businessinsider.com/homic...beries-2017-11

Meanwhile in beautiful Ensenada.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/hom...p-in-ensenada/

"66 assassinations in four months. There were 68 during all of last year"

Yup....been living 15 miles north of TJ for over 65 years. It has never been more unsafe IMHO. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere. Good Luck.