Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2013, 9:00 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default Scenario question- How would you handle this story?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-way-possible/

A father and son got into a dispute over the son wanting cigarettes and the father refusing to buy them, so the son stole the truck and the father thought he would be slick and call the police and report the truck stolen to teach him a lesson.

The son rammed police apparently more than once and they ended up shooting him in the end.

I know, play stupid games...

Now the family is all upset because the police did not need to shoot him.

Things like this, in my opinion only serve to further push police away from warm and friendly people that they can be and many times are. The story seems to be biased in that the police were told to back off and the story of who the perp was and why was put out over the air so why didn't they?

Then my training and past experience tells me that the police, despite looking like bad guys, probably did the correct thing. I was taught that my vehicle was my most deadliest weapon and if I had to use it to take someone out then so be it, from the officer's pov, here is a guy driving crazy, ramming them (I think this might classify as assault with a deadly weapon) and then STILL taking off and I think, ramming them again. If they let him go and he went on to kill people in his crazy driving then the police would have been held at fault for not doing enough. Instead, they were assaulted by the guy and I am sure that in their training they responded appropriately and neutralized the kid. Kid or not, he was behind the wheel of a 2500+lb weapon and was attempting to use it to against the police.

Sadly, one thing I have observed is that the public is NOT privy to LEO training or knowing much about what is taught in those POST classes, so they think that cops can shoot people in the legs or shoot guns out of their hands instead of dealing lethal force. I know that has happened in the past, but it is crazy to expect that, when your life is on the line and you only know to stop someone.

But I am not a LEO, so should this have been handled differently?

BTW, I would say that this kid is no angel by his past, but that might not have been known at the time- not that it matters.

Last edited by stilly; 11-07-2013 at 9:17 AM..