Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 11-12-2012, 7:15 AM

Default Turk'ed Notta Mauser

Turk'ed GEW 1888 Commission Rifle, last modified by Turks to "M1938" standard in 1939. The most modified rifle in my collection. Best wishes. Dave

Old 11-12-2012, 2:03 PM

I found one for a song a while back and love the smoothness of the bolt. I've been thinking about selling it because I haven't been able to find commercial mauser ammo for it. What do you shoot through it? I was advised no yugo surplus (i.e. what I shoot through my other mausers).
Old 11-12-2012, 2:24 PM

This example was rebarrelled by the Turks in 1939 to "standard" 8MM Mauser (.323 diameter projectiles). I think the problem is the strength of the action and lack of significant gas-handling characteristics in the event of a ruptured case. If I ever shoot it, I will down-load surplus ammo about 15% and wear safety glasses and gloves. YMMV but be careful in any event. Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 3:42 PM

Standard American "8mm Mauser" is considerably downloaded from European standard for 8x57mm. US ammo is designed around the G1888 with the .318 bore so should be perfectly safe in a "Turked" G88, assuming the gun is in reasonably good condition. Handloaded reduced power loads work fine also and are considerably cheaper per round.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!