Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-29-2016, 9:09 AM

Default Ares SCR Build

I've just gotten her all together now and need to hit the range this weekend, but I'm really liking this setup.

It's the SCR Sporter Short stock (smidge too short IMO) with a NFA side charger, 14.5" wilson combat barrel with a pinned 2A titanium comp, and MI handguard. Thanks for the speedy work on the pinning Randall!

I'm undecided on the optic. Without sights/optics he rifle weighs 5.8lbs. The PA 1-6 is chunky so I may stick my MRO or Eotech on it.

This is a recent version, so I'm not seeing the bad trigger folks have previously mentioned. I'd say just shy of 5lbs and pretty smooth. The mag release is way too far forward, so a handy ambi release was needed. I found that lancer mags stick and don't drop free. Magpul mags fly out like the burrito I had last night. Safety is shotgun style which also takes some getting used to.

I need to take some more/better pics...

Old 06-29-2016, 9:20 AM

Thanks for sharing. I've been eyeing these for a while. the stock is proprietary is it not? How's the grip/reach to the trigger?
Old 06-29-2016, 9:28 AM

I've got small hands and the reach is very comfortable in this config. Just like shooting your 10/22. I do need to be careful the side charger doesn't jam into my hand though.

Supposedly the stocks for a Remington 1100 will fit and accommodate the buffer tube and spring but I haven't tried. I'm hoping Magpul releases an SGA stock for the 1100 some day.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Great setup.

I love the SCR
Old 06-29-2016, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Good looking rig! Similar to the way I have mine setup, but mine has optics as I use it as a coyote hunting rifle.

I would think with the sporter stock that cheek weld and sight picture with a scope will be an issue.
I have the MC stock and low rings and there could still be a bit more height on the comb to be perfect....but it works as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoFahren View Post
Thanks for sharing. I've been eyeing these for a while. the stock is proprietary is it not? How's the grip/reach to the trigger?
The stock is pretty much a Remington 1100 stock. Folks have been using wood stocks from the 1100 on them with no problem.

Reaching the trigger is not an issue as the lower is designed to put the trigger where it is supposed to be. If you have a Remmington shotgun or rifle, it will feel just about the same.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 06-29-2016, 1:48 PM

It really is a bit of a chin weld with this stock. I may swap it out for an 1100 MC one later though.
Old 06-29-2016, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, that is the problem with the sporter stock. Again, depending the the shape of your face, the scope used, and rings, even the MC can be too short in the comb.

I bought a Karsten cheek piece (http://www.karstenskydexcheekrest.com) but did not use it.

Here is my setup if your interested:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1146519

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1158797

I changed a few things as you can see.

Overall I like the rifle. The trigger I can live with...I have the later version like yours, but it still leaves a lot to be desired IMHO. But I am spoiled....all my AR's have AR Gold triggers and my bolt guns have Jewel's. So I am a bit of a trigger snob.

Again...good looking rig. Have fun with it.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 06-29-2016, 2:19 PM

Nice looking rifle!
Old 06-30-2016, 4:40 AM

How much does the SCR cost? How does it compare to a mini 14?
Old 06-30-2016, 5:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice, digg it!
Old 06-30-2016, 5:38 AM
Calguns Addict

A complete SCR rifle is around $900.00.

The OP and a lot of other folks buy just the lower assembly and put their own upper on it.
The lower assembly cost around $500.00. It comes complete with the stock and bolt carrier.

Pretty much ANY AR type rifle will be much more accurate then a Mini-14. Plus you can build your own AR upper the way you personally want it...or change it when you want to.
Not much the average gun owner can do to a Mini 14 on their own.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 06-30-2016, 8:47 AM

Yup, lower was about $1500 and will take any upper honestly. I put in another $1000 for the upper to get exactly what I wanted. I'm going to build/buy a 7.62x39 upper next. The only issue is the bolt carrier isn't cheap ($130) and you have to order them direct.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenope View Post
Yup, lower was about $1500
$1,500 lower!!! BigBamBoo's complete lower with BCG was $500. Why was yours so expensive?

Is that barrel a heavy profile with fluting?

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
$1,500 lower!!! BigBamBoo's complete lower with BCG was $500. Why was yours so expensive?

Is that barrel a heavy profile with fluting?
I think he hit the wrong keys....hopefully I see the lowers all over for $470 - $525 depending on where you buy from.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Lol fat fingered it. $500 not $1500
Old 06-30-2016, 12:23 PM

Looks like a really nice set up. Did you buy the complete receiver then added your upper to fit your specifications? Does the bolt carrier they provide fit into a standard upper? I havent had the chance to play with one and take it apart. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Gun Laws Suck View Post
Does the bolt carrier they provide fit into a standard upper?
That's kinda the point. A standard bolt fits into their proprietary BCG.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM

Ares sells complete rifles too, but it'll take any AR upper. You just need the proprietary bolt carrier and BYO-bolt. The carrier won't work in a standard lower because of how they do the buffer spring.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM

Here's what the bolt carrier looks like:

Old 06-30-2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Here's what the bolt carrier looks like:
The $129 bolt carrier.
I like Ares, I have a July 2014 build full rifle from them since the day they became available. I would recommend this rifle to anyone in ban area. And am building a second one with just their MC lower. But their proprietary parts prices are very high. the bolt hold open is around $45 now.
Old 06-30-2016, 5:40 PM

Yeah the BHO should have been included by default.
Old 06-30-2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I've just gotten her all together now and need to hit the range this weekend, but I'm really liking this setup.

It's the SCR Sporter Short stock (smidge too short IMO) with a NFA side charger, 14.5" wilson combat barrel with a pinned 2A titanium comp, and MI handguard. Thanks for the speedy work on the pinning Randall!

I'm undecided on the optic. Without sights/optics he rifle weighs 5.8lbs. The PA 1-6 is chunky so I may stick my MRO or Eotech on it.

This is a recent version, so I'm not seeing the bad trigger folks have previously mentioned. I'd say just shy of 5lbs and pretty smooth. The mag release is way too far forward, so a handy ambi release was needed. I found that lancer mags stick and don't drop free. Magpul mags fly out like the burrito I had last night. Safety is shotgun style which also takes some getting used to.
Very nice. Sporter short and MC are both better than standard sporter IMHO. You can always add a bit to the butt of the short, but you cant remove anything form the standard sporter.

The heavy trigger was standard I think just for the first five months or so and I think all from early 2015 on have the lighter trigger.

Questions for you that might help in my build:
I see you went with billet AFA/Gibbz/X-products SCU. I have a billet Matrix Arms SCU on the way for my build. did you have any issues with the Midwest handgun?

My parts so far for my build:
-Ares MC lower with BCG
-Ares Bolt Hold
- Knights Armament Co Ambi Mag Release Kit
-RTB Nickel Boron MPI bolt
-Matrix Arms SCU (I went with this since the dust cover does not come back outside the receiver
- 16" 5.56 BA Hanson Midlength Barrel w/ Lo Pro, Performance Series (.625" Gas Block Journal) (In my jurisdiction, DC, accessible threads are allowed so I will get a non pinned thread protector)
- plasticrevoution AR15 vice block

I am looking at MI G3 10 or 12 inch. But am concerned a bit with MI occasional problems with billet uppers.

2) what is the make of the swivel insert on your stock?
Old 06-30-2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDC View Post
Very nice. Sporter short and MC are both better than standard sporter IMHO. You can always add a bit to the butt of the short, but you cant remove anything form the standard sporter.

The heavy trigger was standard I think just for the first five months or so and I think all from early 2015 on have the lighter trigger.

Questions for you that might help in my build:
I see you went with billet AFA/Gibbz/X-products SCU. I have a billet Matrix Arms SCU on the way for my build. did you have any issues with the Midwest handgun?

My parts so far for my build:
-Ares MC lower with BCG
-Ares Bolt Hold
- Knights Armament Co Ambi Mag Release Kit
-RTB Nickel Boron MPI bolt
-Matrix Arms SCU (I went with this since the dust cover does not come back outside the receiver
- 16" 5.56 BA Hanson Midlength Barrel w/ Lo Pro, Performance Series (.625" Gas Block Journal) (In my jurisdiction, DC, accessible threads are allowed so I will get a non pinned thread protector)
- plasticrevoution AR15 vice block

I am looking at MI G3 10 or 12 inch. But am concerned a bit with MI occasional problems with billet uppers.

2) what is the make of the swivel insert on your stock?
The MI handguard may need to be trimmed with a dremel on the left side depending on your model. I needed to take off a few cm to make it fit. All put together you can't really tell.

The swivel is a Noveske. Just had to drill a hole and screw in the nut in the back. It's really sturdy.

I've noticed on the SCU that if I'm gripping a bit high I will jab myself in the hand with it. I'm either going to learn not to do that, or dremel off half an inch as long as it doesn't expose the interior of the upper.
Old 06-30-2016, 6:27 PM

That is the coolest featureless AR-15 I've seen due to the normal ergonomics.
Old 06-30-2016, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is a cool one:

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 06-30-2016, 7:14 PM

I love the wood furniture! There is a shop online that makes wood stocks and handguards that if consider making a second one.
Old 06-30-2016, 7:56 PM

Quote:
The MI handguard may need to be trimmed with a dremel on the left side depending on your model. I needed to take off a few cm to make it fit. All put together you can't really tell.

The swivel is a Noveske. Just had to drill a hole and screw in the nut in the back. It's really sturdy.

I've noticed on the SCU that if I'm gripping a bit high I will jab myself in the hand with it. I'm either going to learn not to do that, or dremel off half an inch as long as it doesn't expose the interior of the upper.
Thanks for the info on the handguard. I would greatly appreciate it if you could post a pic of where you dremeled (if it is visible on the assembled rifle) as that will help me.,

On the SCU I looked at three types, 1) the AFA/Gibbz/X-products design, 2) the American Spirit works (ASA) design and the 3) Matrix design.

The ASA design involved some slight cutting or milling of the BCG and to me a proprietary BCG that then had to have proprietary milling done on top of it was just not what I wanted. The ASA looks cleaner also with its folding charge handle, but i saw that as a negative since deploying that is another step

The AFA/Gibbz/Xproducts (all the same basic design) looked like that left side gas cover that comes back on charge would hit/bite my hand since I have it well forward especially on operating the any controls. My hands are medium large but I find a furthest forward position on the SCR maintains the balance with one handed holding of the gun when mag changing or charging. The AFA/Gibbbz/X-products design also involves a proprietary cam and as I said the less proprietary the better for me. all in all though I think that is good system, just not for me.

The Matrix has a cover but it is made in such a way as it is all internal. It requires no special cam or altering of the Ares BCG. I corresponded with the engineers over there and sent the Ares lower patent graphics and they indicated they saw no problem so I am going with that. It is also made with very high quality 7075-T6 billet. On the downside it was a bit more expensive (list $300, I paid last week $221 shipped from Chandler hardwoods)

I expect to do the build in about four to six weeks from now when I will be visiting with pal who has put AR-15s together.

As of the three main choices of SCU, two, the ASA and the gibbz/AFA/Xproducts have been confirmed to work, I will post on calguns and NYfirearms the results with Matrix and that way people can take pros and cons of each.

another thing on side charging uppers: since a lot of us are using them since the optics have to be low and far back, it looks like it maybe a good idea to reverse scope mount or rings so the nuts are on right side to keep charging movement free and unencumbered as possible. or to choose a mount with some kind of release or bolt system where there is minimal protuberance on the left side,. If you notice on your pic (I undertand you have not made final choice on optic and mounts) the large nuts on that scope mount are very close to side charger movement

Last edited by GDC; 06-30-2016 at 8:00 PM..
Old 06-30-2016, 8:19 PM

You've put a lot of thought into this.

The NFA upper works just fine. No mods needed to the carrier. I'll get around to a pic of the handguard in a bit. And yeah, I've raked my knuckles a few times on the scope mount. MI makes one with QD levers on the right side that I may try out.
Old 07-01-2016, 6:01 AM

Quote:
You've put a lot of thought into this.
The NFA upper works just fine. No mods needed to the carrier. I'll get around to a pic of the handguard in a bit. And yeah, I've raked my knuckles a few times on the scope mount. MI makes one with QD levers on the right side that I may try out.
It is my second one so yeah, I have over thought it -- and overspent maybe too! I have had nearly two years on my firs SCR, and the research was at first about just improving that one, which has now morphed into a second one project.

on your excellent choice of a swivel mount can you tell which one of these it was? I cant even tell the differnce!
http://www.opticsplanet.com/noveske-...ack-fm-qd.html
http://www.opticsplanet.com/noveske-...-05000471.html

Does the NFA not use a modified cam? Providing a modified cam is sure easier than sending the bolt carrier off to be partially milled, but I did think it needs a notched cam.

On the optics , as I am near and far sighted in my right eye, I chose a moderate quality illuminated but etched 1x4 with a good amount of eye relief range, and a diopter adjustment, the burris MTAC. I am trying it with PEPR mount backwards which puts it back where I want and puts the ffastener encumbered side on the right which is also good with side charger. this works simulating MC stock, but the PEPR is to high so I will find a similar but lower mount I can use backwards.

The long and the short of its the ARes will need lower and further back positioning than AR optics and sights are typically positioned. Short sporter and side charging are an excellent way to approach ameliorating that, perhaps with a bolt on cheek riser and low rings. MC and side changing is another approach combined with a moderate low mount that goes way back.

have you considered just reversing the mount you have on there now?
Old 07-01-2016, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Here is the one I used on mine, which is the 2nd link in your post.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/96...polymer-stocks

Here is how it turned out:

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 07-01-2016, 7:49 AM

Yup that's the mount I've got installed. As for the scope mount, I'll try reversing it, but not sure how it will sit over my rear sight.

Also, took a look at my handguard and I didn't actually have to mod this one. It was a different build with a MI rail that was suppressor width that I had to trim one wing to fit on this NFA upper.
Old 07-01-2016, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
Here is the one I used on mine, which is the 2nd link in your post.
thanks. It looks like you went with low rings with the nuts reversed ton the right side on your MC. that or sporter with mc simulating riser maybe the best solutions
does your gibbz/x-products/AFA model gas cover the the right hit your right hand if right hand is furthest forward when charging?

did you try several mag releases?
I see a few here: http://www.ar15news.com/category/acc...gazine-release
the KA appears to bring it back the most, but the holy grail of even further back this is certainly something we should all be keeping eye out for. The only downside of any of them is increased chance of inadvertent bumping and dropping a mag when not intending to
Old 07-01-2016, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

I am using this mag release: http://www.norgon.com/home_files/ambicatch.htm
I don't mess with the "standard, right side mag release" as it is pretty much useless.

Yes, I have the MC stock on mine. Yes to the low rings, not reveased, they have counter sunk Torx head screws.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
A complete SCR rifle is around $900.00.

Pretty much ANY AR type rifle will be much more accurate then a Mini-14. Plus you can build your own AR upper the way you personally want it...or change it when you want to.
Not much the average gun owner can do to a Mini 14 on their own.

Thanks.
How much less accurate are they, really?

I'd be satisfied with Minute of Bad Guy accuracy.
Old 07-02-2016, 6:09 AM
Calguns Addict

The last Mini-14 I had would shoot about 3-4", five shot groups at 100 yards from the bench.
I guess if that is acceptable to you, then your GTG. Me, I will not own a rifle that will not not shoot AT LEAST 1" five shot groups at 100 yards. At at that level of accuracy, I would not be happy.

Here are some groups from my SCR..please note that I hand load and use to be a pretty active bench rest shooter. Off hand I do ok, but always see what my rifles will do from the bench. That way when I miss I know it was ME and not the rifle.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 09-09-2016, 8:35 AM

Quote:

What iron sights are those?
Old 09-09-2016, 8:46 AM

They are CZ sight. Cheap irons.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail...Lpa-Adj-Sights
Old 09-09-2016, 9:34 AM

Thank you good sir. Hopefully they come back in stock soon.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I put a x-prod side charger on mine. I have bit myself once when I had the muzzle pointed up while using the charging handle testing it out. While shouldered, there is plenty of clearance for my L size hand.
Kevin
Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Monte Carlo stock is a must if you are thinking of using the sights.
Kevin