Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-12-2015, 8:17 AM

Default For my motorcycle riders that CCW...

How do you carry? My riding jacket seems too short to allow for IWB unless I adjust way forward to an obviously uncomfortable position. I'd rather not risk exposure while attempting to maintain comfort. An ankle holster seems like it may be trouble as well considering the proximity to moving parts on the bike and/or the possibility of exposure/printing.

For reference: My EDC is a Sig P320 carry.

Shoulder rig? Make/model suggestions would be helpful.

Jacket pocket carry?
Old 04-12-2015, 8:52 AM
Banned

I pocket carry a S&W 442/642 in a deSaints Nemisis.
Old 04-12-2015, 9:23 AM

Your motorcycle gloves, if they are proper gloves, will make you unable to operate your firearm safely, or at all. And if the gloves fit properly, you won't be able to get them off quickly. Therefore, there isn't any way around it; quick access to a gun on a motorcycle is not viable unless you sacrifice the safety of your hands. In the backpack it goes.
Old 04-12-2015, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

lcp in jacket pocket
Old 04-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

When I ride (which is most of the time I go from any Point A to any Point B), I carry the same way I always do: LCR in a Mika's pocket holster in the pocket of the cargo pants. Not the cargo pocket, the regular front pocket.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 04-12-2015 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 AM

You can buy a vest that has an inside pocket with elastic to hold a firearm. They run around $100 and the ones that I have owned are good quality. I believe that Gall's, on the internet has them.

CCW's:
California
Oregon
Utah
Arizona
Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civlaw View Post
Your motorcycle gloves, if they are proper gloves, will make you unable to operate your firearm safely, or at all. And if the gloves fit properly, you won't be able to get them off quickly. Therefore, there isn't any way around it; quick access to a gun on a motorcycle is not viable unless you sacrifice the safety of your hands. In the backpack it goes.
It's true, and I don't figure many people here plan on getting into gunfights while simultaneously riding (except maybe that one "gets his reality from movies" guy who started an earlier thread about the best way to shoot while driving an SUV or whatever at someone following behind in some kind of road rage scenario). However, carrying in a backpack (or saddlebag) presents a couple of issues: (1) Greater potential for being separated from your gun and losing control of it after even a minor crash; and (2) Having to choose between carrying off-body when you're off of the bike or finding suitable conditions to allow you to transfer the gun back and forth between your holster and the backpack when you get on and off the bike.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 04-12-2015 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: iphone predictive text woes
Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

OP, what jacket do you wear? I know people who carry IWB just fine while riding. Since many riding jackets are a bit longer in back than in the front, it's very possible to do.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Forgive my motorcycle ignorance, but I thought that you cannot CCW with your face concealed. Wouldn't a full helmet with the visor over your face considered concealing your facial features?

But to address the OP, I believe Concealed Outfitters make a very nice leather vest that has pockets that would allow you to put your carry weapon. However, as it was pointed out earlier, wearing gloves would compromise the safe operation of the firearm.

-Gomphe
Old 04-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomphe View Post
Forgive my motorcycle ignorance, but I thought that you cannot CCW with your face concealed. Wouldn't a full helmet with the visor over your face considered concealing your facial features?

But to address the OP, I believe Concealed Outfitters make a very nice leather vest that has pockets that would allow you to put your carry weapon. However, as it was pointed out earlier, wearing gloves would compromise the safe operation of the firearm.

-Gomphe
Good question regarding concealing face. I don't think it's an issue, at least with sac county. Renewed my permit weeks ago, informed them of my motorcycle spill and the officer never said anything about this. I would think since you have a visor, not a mask, you'd be ok. However, I've seen some Harley riders wear those neoprene skull facemasks. I wonder if that would be considered concealment?

I don't think an officer would ever try and arrest or cite you for this. I'm not even sure if this (concealment of face while ccw) is a IA rule or state law?
Old 04-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
OP, what jacket do you wear? I know people who carry IWB just fine while riding. Since many riding jackets are a bit longer in back than in the front, it's very possible to do.
Harley riding jacket that is tapered at the waist. I could carry fine with it walking around but sitting on the bike causes it to ride up enough that I would be at least partially exposed.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
It's true, and I don't figure many people here plan on getting into gunfights while simultaneously riding (except maybe that one "gets his reality from movies" guy who started an earlier thread about the best way to shoot while driving an SUV or whatever at someone following behind in some kind of road rage scenario). However, carrying in a backpack (or saddlebag) presents a couple of issues: (1) Greater potential for being separated from your gun and losing control of it after even a minor crash; and (2) Having to choose between carrying off-body when you're off of the bike or finding suitable conditions to allow you to transfer the gun back and forth between your holster and the backpack when you get on and off the bike.
what could i enter in the search box to find THAT thread?
Old 04-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned

That was a funny read.....^^^ lol.... I remember that...

Sport motorcycle jackets tend to be long. I dont have any problems IWB with my jacket.

If OP is wearing a HD jacket, riding an HD... IWB shouldnt be a issue anyway... since the hardley "uniform" requires a $50 hd black T shirt as well... the T shirt (uniform) should cover the gun.

Last edited by postal; 04-12-2015 at 11:39 AM..
Old 04-12-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomphe View Post
-Gomphe

Man, where does this stuff come from?

The Laws are hard enough to follow without making up your own.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMr2 View Post

There is a law about concealing your face while carrying...... but since most states including CA also have a LAW REQUIRING a helmet... Seems likely the helmet would be exempt...
Old 04-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMr2 View Post

It is illegal to conceal your face and possess a firearm.

I make a yearly thread on it around Halloween time to remind people not to carry and trick-or-treat while in a face costume.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 04-12-2015, 1:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by civlaw View Post
Interesting logic. I see it a little differently. You may not be able to get them off super quick. But it will take even longer if you then have to crawl through a backpack once you do get them off. Plus, there's the whole time you're off your bike when you're out and you're not wearing gloves at all. Having it in a backpack is certainly better than not having it at all. But I really want mine "on body" if I can.
Old 04-12-2015, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
what could i enter in the search box to find THAT thread?

Here you go:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1050956
Old 04-12-2015, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

Re helmets vs masks, it would appear that it's the intent to hide one's identity that the PC section addresses.

25300. (a) A person commits criminal possession of a firearm when the person carries a firearm in a public place or on any public street while masked so as to hide the person's identity.

"Masked so as to hide the person's identity" does not equal "helmeted to protect one's cranial contents and to comply with the CA Vehicle Code."

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 04-12-2015 at 1:56 PM.. Reason: adding a missing word
Old 04-12-2015, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Excellent points. I'm forgetful, and keeping a gun in a place that could be separated from me is a poor idea.
The next best thing would be stowing it in the internal pocket of your motorcycle jacket, if available. If not that, then a shoulder holster just for riding would work, and would not likely make you any less safe if there is a crash.

Quote:
Re helmets vs masks, it would appear that it's the intent to hide one's identity that the PC section addresses.

25300. (a) A person commits criminal possession of a firearm when the person carries a firearm in a public place or on any public street while masked so as to hide the person's identity.

"Masked so as hide the person's identity" does not equal "helmeted to protect one's cranial contents and to comply with the CA Vehicle Code."
I agree with this. It appears to be an intent crime.

Last edited by civlaw; 04-12-2015 at 1:43 PM..
Old 04-12-2015, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
It is illegal to conceal your face and possess a firearm.

I make a yearly thread on it around Halloween time to remind people not to carry and trick-or-treat while in a face costume.
We aren't talking about Halloween. We are talking about motorcycle transportation.

If you get pulled over and have a dark tinted visor that you will not lift up or (if it doesn't lift) and (or) don't remove your helmet if asked, I'd imagine you are going to have a whole lot more trouble than worrying about where to carry...

Meanwhile, back to more Calguns hypothetical BS scenarios for this fine afternoon.
Old 04-12-2015, 2:51 PM

Fanny pack
(sorry)
Old 04-12-2015, 3:09 PM
Calguns Addict

5.11 holster shirt or tank?

WTS: Gun stuff & things WTB: Glock 19 Gen 3
Old 04-12-2015, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Fanny pack
(sorry)

A man's gotta what a man's gotta do.

Old 04-12-2015, 3:49 PM

I've got a handgun specific fanny pack on one of my bikes (it was my wifes). But I keep disc lock, air gauge, fuses, and other things in it. It's wrapped around the gauges behind the fairing.
Old 04-12-2015, 3:54 PM

Using a firearm while riding the bike is for the movies. Which hand do you use, clutch or throttle?
I have carried on my bike in the past, when I lived in AZ. Open carry and no one cut me off.
Old 04-12-2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Using a firearm while riding the bike is for the movies. Which hand do you use, clutch or throttle?
I have carried on my bike in the past, when I lived in AZ. Open carry and no one cut me off.
Don't have the option to open carry. Not intending to play Swarzenegger in T2. Just want to have my pistol on me going from point A to point B.
Old 04-12-2015, 6:14 PM

Appendix carry.
Old 04-12-2015, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by branden.w View Post
Don't have the option to open carry. Not intending to play Swarzenegger in T2. Just want to have my pistol on me going from point A to point B.
I'd go with the jacket or pants pocket. If handgun is too large, try one of these (see link). I like the glock holster for the kit bag.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...2/Default.aspx
Old 04-12-2015, 6:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Concealed carry vest?

I've got one (I don't ride) but have never used it since CCW is unobtainium here in SCC. But it has pockets (both sides) with a single snap closure. Gun in one mags in the other for balance and bulge matching.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 04-12-2015, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, I am biased. I don't recommend a vest with elastic. I do however recommend a leather vest with full ambidextrous pockets and a proper holster to conceal the gun. The vest is leather, with full nylon lining. Price is $99.00. Moreover if you can spend the time and live in Orange County bring you gun to Packin' Fur Defense, and try the vest on. We have other solutions as well, but the vest works very well. You can see it at http://packinfurdefense.com/products...tor-cycle-vest

Of course you can order on line, but it's always much nicer to come in and try it on, make sure you like the feel, fit and access. Were located in Mission Viejo, and are open Wednesday through Saturday.
Old 04-12-2015, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

For the fanny pack crew I carry those as well. But I think you will like the vest. The fanny pack however is less expensive.

The nice thing about the vest is it can be open and it won't show the gun. You can fit a full size 1911 and no one is seeing the gun.
Old 04-12-2015, 9:59 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by branden.w View Post
How do you carry? My riding jacket seems too short to allow for IWB unless I adjust way forward to an obviously uncomfortable position. I'd rather not risk exposure while attempting to maintain comfort. An ankle holster seems like it may be trouble as well considering the proximity to moving parts on the bike and/or the possibility of exposure/printing.

For reference: My EDC is a Sig P320 carry.

Shoulder rig? Make/model suggestions would be helpful.

Jacket pocket carry?
I ride a Harley Electra Glide, and carry a Glock 19, IWB at about 4:30. During the past year since I started carrying, I haven't changed much. I've found which holsters I prefer and don't. Hybrids are my favorite. I have an Alien Gear 2.0, and a Galco King Tuk. Both are tuckable and of similar hybrid design. Just different materials. I find riding on my bike to be very comfortable with this setup. The gun riding behind my hip, I hardly notice it.

So for example, on a hot day, wearing jeans and a t-shirt, I will tuck the shirt around gun, and then put on my vest. This keeps everything in nice and tight. Could also get away without, but just more comfortable with it on. Should the shirt come untucked. I haven't had any issues. This also works for my leather jacket and nylon jackets. The leather vest and jacket just cover the gun at the waist. The nylon jacket is a bit longer. I also have a mesh jacket made for riding in hot weather.

I sometimes ride a little dressier, like meeting up with the wife for dinner. So I'll wear jeans, an undershirt, and a button down shirt untucked, as a cover garment. Then put my vest or jacket over top. The shirt will stick out of the bottom a bit, but again, everything is well covered. I realize access to my firearm is dramatically slowed down, but you can't have it all.

I do have an inexpensive shoulder rig, that I have as a niche thing. I've used it a few times, like stepping out to run a quick errand with sweat pants and jacket on. But definitely not my preferred method. The big limitation is having to leave a jacket on to conceal it. But for a long ride, or drive in the car, it would probably work well. I haven't ridden on my bike with it. The vest doesn't work. You can see the straps.

Customizing or buying a motorcycle vest made for carrying seems like a decent idea. I also have not tried a compression undershirt with the built in holsters. I try to keep it simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alienholster1.jpg (92.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Customizing or buying a motorcycle vest made for carrying seems like a decent idea. I also have not tried a compression undershirt with the built in holsters. I try to keep it simple.[/QUOTE]

I sell the Packin Tee brand of compression T-shirt as I like them better than the Glock or the 5.11 tactical. But well they will retain the weapon well, unless your going to wear a button shirt, they are harder to access the gun than other systems.

We sell a fair number to bikers, usually the sport bikes, rather than the cruisers where the vests are more popular.

Before selecting the compression shirt as an option, think of what you will be wearing and how fast you really think you can get to the weapon. My largest clients are medical professionals, that wear scrubs, and diabetics with insulin pumps, or ill with pain pumps.

They are great for deep concealment, but again access is tough. We have them in white, black and cut for women.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:03 PM

I use a pocket holster just to cover the trigger area and carry in a inside jacket pocket.

For me, hunched over on a sport bike appendix iwb won't work, and iwb anywhere from 3-9 o clock will more than likely show or possibly show due to the nature of sport bike jackets and riding position. So inside the jacket it goes. Haven't had an issue with it yet .
Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayR_1911 View Post
I use a pocket holster just to cover the trigger area and carry in a inside jacket pocket.

For me, hunched over on a sport bike appendix iwb won't work, and iwb anywhere from 3-9 o clock will more than likely show or possibly show due to the nature of sport bike jackets and riding position. So inside the jacket it goes. Haven't had an issue with it yet .
Exactly!
Kahr P380 in a pocket holster in one of the jacket side pockets. Puts it at my belly, just off center.

I figure that would do the least damage if I get hit/crash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_delmar_blackwhit.jpg (85.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I've seen lots of leather vests with an inside CCW pocket at chest level. Any reason why these wouldn't be feasible with a pocket holster, aside from it not being to ones style preferences?
Old 04-19-2015, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

I ride a VFR800 which has a slightly forward riding position but not a fully aggressive sport bike posture.

I CC AIWB. Never had any problems.

When I used to carry IWB at 4 o'clock, I was always so paranoid about my jacket and shirt riding up. Not an issue AIWB.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 04-19-2015, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

I still think that when you balance these factors:

Concealment while riding.
Access when you're off the bike on foot.
Retention in the event of a crash....

...a good pocket holster in a deep front pants pocket is the overall winner (especially if the abrasion resistance of the pants material is better than regular denim).

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 04-19-2015 at 4:13 PM.. Reason: more details
Old 04-20-2015, 6:18 PM

DeSantes front pocket, G42. Other days G26 IWB 3:00 Nylon Ballistic Jacket easily covers. Wearing bike riding (bulky, typical) gear is easiest to carry my full size Sig P220 as well. Do not see where problem could possibly exist with exception of short leather jacket and determined to waist carry.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato