Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-14-2018, 7:55 AM

Default Need to replac my rifle

I had a Rem 700 LA, I trued the face and the lugs used a oversized ground recoil lug and a Shilen stainless match pre-fit barrel. I shot 2” groups at 400 yards with it. No it is gone.
Should I buy a Rem 700, year it apart to have a new one made? Or buy an after market 700 clone?
I think I will have a gunsmith with better tools than me put together the barreled action this time.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:48 AM

Personally, I'd go with a custom action. By the time you source a factory R700 action and have everything trued, you'll be in the same cost area as having bought an action that was trued at the time of manufacture.
Old 08-14-2018, 9:17 AM

Divingin, that’s kind of what I was thinking but in my brief search for actions, it looks like a lot have no bottom metal or triggers, leading to even more costs. Still might be best way to go just not sure.
Old 08-14-2018, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

If you already have a long action 700 receiver price out all the costs and base your decision on that.
Action you already own is free.
A Pacific Tool and Gauge bolt with all the bells and whistles runs $300. Go to Greg Tannels website or give him a call as to what he charges to machine a receiver.
Most of the non-benchrest actions have sloppy tolerances. You are merely buying features.
0.004 bolt fit is normal on alot of the clone actions so all you get besides a name is a side bolt release and loading port options most here ignore.
What about just having a new barrel put on your existing gun? Or by gone do you mean you sold the gun?
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 08-14-2018 at 9:50 AM..
Old 08-14-2018, 9:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

OP, it sounds like you did as good a job as a gunsmith would. Unless you flat out don't want to, I suggest you do it yourself again. You can get a "budget" custom action for $800-$900. You would have to buy a trigger either way. If you buy a chassis, they usually come with "bottom metal".
Old 08-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

What kind of precision are you looking for that a factory 700 action and gunsmith-fitted match barrel can't provide?

The factory Remington 700 actions that I have come across have shot very well with just a barrel upgrade, without blueprinting/truing.

Gunsmiths charge at least $250 for a proper truing job, which involves aligning the receiver face, bolt lug seats, and barrel tenon threads to the axis of the bolt raceway. All these surfaces get re-cut so you end up with an enlarged bolt raceway, deeper bolt lug seats, oversized barrel tenon threads, and reduced extraction cam travel. Now, we are talking less than 0.010" difference for any of these dimensions, but it does have some drawbacks:

Because the bolt raceway is enlarged, you will need a bolt with oversize body diameter, otherwise the bolt will feel sloppy. You can get a new bolt from PTG, or you can get your original bolt sleeved.

Because the barrel tenon threads are oversized, you will have to use barrels fit by a gunsmith who can turn the barrel tenon threads oversize to match your receiver. Prefit Remage style or take-off barrels from eBay are no longer viable options. Those only fit well in factory sized 1.060 - 16 TPI threads, while trued receiver threads are a few to several thousandths oversized.

So when you spend $250 truing a factory Remington 700 receiver, you usually need to spend another $200 on a custom bolt and another $300 on a custom barrel blank and another $300 for a gunsmith to fit the barrel for you.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:18 AM

LynnJr, gone as in destroyed by fire. Sigstroker, I would do it myself with a new action and pre-fit barrel, but I am short on free time and was thinking of having the barreled action done for me.
Jimmykan, looking for 1/2 MOA as that is more than adequate for hunting.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

If its just for hunting maybe you should try a Tikka T3 or a Weatherby. They shoot very well out if the box.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Another route you can go is just getting a rifle that's guaranteed 1 moa, like a Sako or Tikka, and trying it out. If it's not grouping as you want it, take it to a gunsmith for improvement. At least that way you start off with a complete gun.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmule View Post
I had a Rem 700 LA, I trued the face and the lugs used a oversized ground recoil lug and a Shilen stainless match pre-fit barrel. I shot 2” groups at 400 yards with it. No it is gone.
Should I buy a Rem 700, year it apart to have a new one made? Or buy an after market 700 clone?
I think I will have a gunsmith with better tools than me put together the barreled action this time.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Quote:
LynnJr, gone as in destroyed by fire. Sigstroker, I would do it myself with a new action and pre-fit barrel, but I am short on free time and was thinking of having the barreled action done for me.
Jimmykan, looking for 1/2 MOA as that is more than adequate for hunting.
If you are building another hunting rifle, then a 700 with a gunsmith fitted rebarrel job will do all you need.
Truing won't really get you more accuracy.
Truing is primarily about confidence in the gun and fixing excessive tolerances on benchrest/target guns, but you probably don't want to tighten up a hunting gun that much, nor does your accuracy level requirement warrant the extra truing expense.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

https://grabagun.com/remington-700-s...rce=igodigital
https://grabagun.com/remington-27555...bon-steel.html

Either of these would do.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 08-14-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 6:42 AM

AR15barrels, thank you, that is good info. Will probably just get an action, have a match barrel fit to it and go from there.
LynnJr, thanks. I think I will be going the factory 700 action route. The rifle has to be rebarred as my cartridge choice is 338-06 Ackley Improved. I like oddball rounds and love the way it performs.
Old 08-15-2018, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
AR15barrels, thank you, that is good info. Will probably just get an action, have a match barrel fit to it and go from there.
LynnJr, thanks. I think I will be going the factory 700 action route. The rifle has to be rebarred as my cartridge choice is 338-06 Ackley Improved. I like oddball rounds and love the way it performs.
I am also building a rifle in a 338 wildcat cartridge: 338-300 Remington Ultra Magnum (a.k.a. 338 Edge)

Also from a factory Remington 700 long action receiver that I bought from grabagun.com . I did get an aftermarket PTG bolt, because the receiver did not include a bolt at all.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Jimmykan, that’s one hell of a round! I was only running 2860 fps with 210 TTSX, but itt shot good and hit hard. Because it is not hyper velocity I can shoot a blacktail with it and not turn it into a cloud of red mist
Old 08-25-2018, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Stiller or defiance action and you can rebarrel yourself with the remage configuration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2018, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Do what you want.