Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-14-2018, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Anyone fish at Big Bear Lake?

I'm staying there this weekend for my GF's Birthday as she wants to go fishing. I just bought a trolling motor to put on my friends' Jon boat and heading out Friday night.

According to their marina website I can launch from their site but was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of where to head? I'm assuming by the dam since it's deeper but open to suggestions. I'd ask their fishing shops but I know some of them hate non-locals and will lie. Also, we may do some shore fishing if there's any issue with me dropping the boat in the water.

Lastly, what do you fish for there? I'm mostly set up for trout but have bass tackle as well. Thanks!

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 08-14-2018, 3:45 PM

The best trout fishing is in the deeper water near the dam. I believe Boulder bay also has some deep water. Bass and carp can be found throughout the lake. Ive never launched a boat in the lake, but I believe that you need to get a Quaga mussel inspection before they will let you launch.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:56 PM

So I'm much more familiar with Arrowhead than I am with Big Bear (though I did catch my very first fish there). But, I imagine similar tactics work in both.

One staple in Arrowhead is the red & white (red head and white skirt) mini jig (other colors work too, but that one seems to be the most consistent) with a split shot a few feet up.

With that rig, I have caught crappie, trout, blue gill, & sunfish. And my son caught like a 5lb large mouth on one (only time I've seen that happen though).

Rooster tail lures work well too for trout.

Whether from shore or the boat, if you have two set ups working, you might want to try a nightcrawler on the bobber and one on the bottom (or somewhere in between) with a weight. Sometimes the trout bite top water, other times they're down deep. I caught a trout on a crankbait on top water just a couple months ago, so you never know.

And use fairly light line. You don't need to go as small as 2lb (though it could increase your chances of getting bit), but you shouldn't be using 10lb either (unless targeting bass, which is a whole other animal, as I'm sure you know).

One cool thing about Big Bear if you're into archery is I believe they allow you to shoot carp there with a bow. Seen guys having a blast doing that and have always wanted to get into it.

As for specific spots, I cannot help you there at all.

Good luck and have fun! And post pictures if you catch anything.
Old 08-14-2018, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

You never see boats fishing the dam, they fish structure, vegetation, off beaches, and coves around the lake, not near the dam or airport spillway.
Old 08-14-2018, 6:31 PM

I like crawfish hunting along the shore.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:46 PM

Stop at Big Bear sporting goods, Steve will fill you in on where the best action is for a boats as well as shore fishing. We fish Big Bear regularly and fishing is awesome. I prefer early am at the dam, in a boat tied to a buoy. Slip bobber with various colors of power bait at approx 10’.

You don’t want to be on the lake with a trolling motor when the wind come up!

Go see Steve, have fun.

"We cant control the waves, however, we can learn how to surf"
Old 08-15-2018, 4:14 AM
Veteran Member

Big bear lake has "Never" been known as a good fishery period. Fish Green valley.
Old 08-15-2018, 4:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Went 3 weeks ago spent 12 hours over 2 days trolling and still fishing my bro got 1 and i got skunked. First time i got skunked in 52 years there. Only 1 launch ramp so it ws a zoo in afternoon if you launched you had to park on highway 1/4 mile away.
Old 08-15-2018, 4:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You have to get mussle inspection when launching make sure boat is dry or it will take an extra 45 minutes to treat the boat. Launch early to get a parking spot at ramp.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

They fish for trout, bluegell sunfish, catfish, and carp, the spillway and the dam are where shore anglers concentrate, then there's a few piers that charge, opposite side of the boat launch. At the Discovery Center is where there may still be a childerns trout pool.

I have cought several trout that spawned in the lake, the flesh is pink to red, like a pink salmon, a real treat, cought a lot of catfish too. The boat guys trowel with trout flasher rigs. They also anchor or drift, rigging glidder rainbow powerbait, a blown up night crawler, or a minnow, all on a 6 foot slip line torpedo float rig, a couple slip-shot, all trout size tackle. Ask the bate shop, they have the rig already set up. So trowel around the piers, boat docks, structure, coves, and the spillway.

Last edited by tony270; 08-15-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 08-15-2018, 6:09 PM

I hate rooster tails! Panther martins or thomas boyant.
I like trolling needle fish or wedding rings. and sometimes Ill add the back half of a mice tail too the hook to give extra action.
also Try drift fish with a sliding bobber and worm. adjust eh depth as action could be 5', 10', 15 or 20 feet down. I use 6 or 4 lb main. 4lb max for leader.
If fishing the bottom from shore, usually at least a 2' leader and sliding sinker, small trouble hooks for power bait. like size 18 and just enough PB to cover the hook and to make the it float.