Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-11-2023, 3:37 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker62 View Post
Liberty coin is my go to source for gold Buffalos. Their prices beat all others even when others have a sale. I have purchased several without any issues. They may be a little slower to ship then SD or JM, but worth it in the long run. I trust Liberty.
Appreciate it Striker, I really enjoyed speaking with Randy at the Signal Hill Loc. He gave me a no-bs response and was super patient in explaining things to me. Made me want to come back to be a customer. It's always sketchy buying from a place that's almost a grand cheaper than the rest like you said. Glad to know they are good to go
Old 08-27-2023, 9:41 PM

2023 Brit coins with the Queen just jumped about $5-$10 an ounce it seems. They have entered beanie baby status and are no longer in consideration for bullion buyers.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
2023 Brit coins with the Queen just jumped about $5-$10 an ounce it seems. They have entered beanie baby status and are no longer in consideration for bullion buyers.
Liberty Coin still has a few of them at under $30 per coin.
Old 09-28-2023, 8:48 AM

Default Gold down 1864 this morning.

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/9F...ol=FX%3AXAGUSD

Gold prices down today.
Old 10-02-2023, 6:22 PM

I will pick up more silver tomorrow like I do every couple weeks like have been for the last 5 years. If gold does a drop where I like it I will pick up another oz.
Old 10-02-2023, 8:10 PM

And to who would you sell an ounce of gold to nowadays without taking a haircut?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 10-02-2023, 9:29 PM

Why buy gold? Historically, it way underperforms the stock market...
Old 11-03-2023, 10:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicOrange View Post
Why buy gold? Historically, it way underperforms the stock market...
Because it?s real. Because it has been valued throughout history.
Paper currency is just that, paper. Consider the Weimar Republic where you needed a wheelbarrow full of paper notes to buy a loaf of bread. And nobody bothered to try to steal that wheelbarrow full of paper money. In Zimbabwe they printed $100 trillion (Yep, that?s trillion with a T) dollar notes. I challenge you to find a Zimbabwean who would trade his 1 oz gold coin for a wheelbarrow full of $100 trillion Z dollar notes. The inflation we have today is a direct result of printing money. It?s just paper.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Because it?s real. Because it has been valued throughout history.

Paper currency is just that, paper. Consider the Weimar Republic where you needed a wheelbarrow full of paper notes to buy a loaf of bread. And nobody bothered to try to steal that wheelbarrow full of paper money. In Zimbabwe they printed $100 trillion (Yep, that?s trillion with a T) dollar notes. I challenge you to find a Zimbabwean who would trade his 1 oz gold coin for a wheelbarrow full of $100 trillion Z dollar notes. The inflation we have today is a direct result of printing money. It?s just paper.
Yeah, gold has certainly outperformed the US Dollar, but not the stock market, as mentioned in my previous comment. Over the past ten years the stock market has beat gold by 100%, and the further back you go, the better the market looks compared to gold. And, at this time, I am not too worried about the dollar going to zero... I believe there is a place for gold as an investment, but only as a small percentage of overall holdings.

Screenshot_20231104-003030.jpg

Sent from my moto g 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2023, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, gold has certainly outperformed the US Dollar, but not the stock market, as mentioned in my previous comment. Over the past ten years the stock market has beat gold by 100%, and the further back you go, the better the market looks compared to gold. And, at this time, I am not too worried about the dollar going to zero... I believe there is a place for gold as an investment, but only as a small percentage of overall holdings.

Attachment 1198173

This is the most correct view. Gold and Silver have always been meant to protect wealth, not grow it. Of course, if you day trade or deal in "paper" gold and silver or other sort of precious metals function, you can make money, but as has been pointed out, it's not meant to be a wealth generator.

Gold/silver is great to have, especially if you have it physically, but you have to have nerves that are very strong. It's a commodity and as such, is subject to fluctuations. One day you're way up, one day you're way down. Let's not forget the premium over spot that is an automatic loss to start, so the market has to move pretty far to recover it.

That said, it is a necessity in every portfolio to preserve some of the wealth against the failing fiat value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 11-04-2023, 7:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Unproductive asset, if not a white elephant if the economy ever really did collapse, banks close, firesale express comes to town, the works.

Can't eat it, can't milk it, can't burn it, can't use it for fuel, can't sing, can't dance, can't generate value on its own; nobody will be scrambling for it, nobody will care.

Even now, you couldn't walk into a grocery store, flip 'em a Krugerrand and say 'keep the change' to pay for your groceries.

When things go sour, water, food, guns, ammo, transport, and medication/medical supplies will be more valuable than any amount of gold.

As an investment vehicle, it's crap. As a physical storage of wealth, it's a dog; doesn't gain much in value any better than the rate of inflation, which is certainly better than cash which doesn't - but even then, you must contend with finding a willing barterer or buyer if you ever want to divest yourself of it for its value, and the reality is that you'll have a tough time unloading it because nobody with a sense of cents in their head is going to want to saddle themselves with a pig.

You would have an easier time unloading a vintage Rolex, and it has a better gain in value over time than gold.

Even guns - in 1873 both a Colt Single Action Army and an ounce of gold were equally around $25.00.

What's gold spot price at today? What's even a 50% finish remaining matching numbers Colt Single Action Army worth today? (And the latter is easier to find a buyer - and even more so if all hell broke loose.)

At least the Colt has a useable purpose if the chips were down, AND it's a better storage and protection of wealth than gold.

Nevertheless, I would prefer the dollar had never strayed from being on a gold standard - should have followed the yellow brick road back - biggest mistake our country ever made. It's the very reason we are currently in the mess we are in with inflation always a wrestling match.

Ironically, had we never left the gold standard, having a few gold coins in your pocket and the ability to pay for groceries in gold would never have NOT been a thing.

Nor would we have this game of Jerome Powell having to diddle rates to keep inflation at bay, and 'free money' printed on a whim, handed out by Biden like trinkets, which causes it - and would not have been such an ugly 7-headed Hydra over the past 90 years. But that's an entirely different topic in the scheme of things.

---
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by The Gleam; 11-04-2023 at 8:08 PM..
Old 11-04-2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post

Can't eat it, can't milk it, can't burn it, can't use it for fuel, can't sing, can't dance, can't generate value on its own; nobody will be scrambling for it, nobody will care.

Agreed. In an all-goes-to-hell situation, I would prefer a case of Everclear, a stack of ammo, and a solar generator... among other things.
Old 11-06-2023, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Just checked, gold is at $1482 and silver is at $25.70 an ounce. These have not been this low in two years.

Thoughts on the next year? Time to buy or time to sell?
Just happened to notice the original post is ten years old.
Prices today, gold @ 2K, silver @ $20.
Buy more silver?
Old 01-31-2024, 6:00 PM

On April 14, 2014 I posted:

Quote:
Just checked, gold is at $1482 and silver is at $25.70 an ounce. These have not been this low in two years.

Thoughts on the next year? Time to buy or time to sell?

As an earlier post pointed out, this post is over 10 years old and coming up on 11. Gold has risen 37% since the original post while silver has dropped 10%. I wonder if some of the vocal predictors of the market ever go back and see how well their predictions performed.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Been seeing lots of "news" touting silver demand for manufacturing and rumors of a big drop in silver short selling which indicates expectations of a sizable positive move in silver. I've got a bunch of CDs maturing in a couple weeks and thinking of moving into silver.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
As an earlier post pointed out, this post is over 10 years old and coming up on 11. Gold has risen 37% since the original post while silver has dropped 10%. I wonder if some of the vocal predictors of the market ever go back and see how well their predictions performed.

Attached is the 15 year chart of the stock market compared with the gold ETF. Not the perfect comparison since the ETF has a fee, but close enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock market vs GLD.jpg (75.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-06-2024, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Just check out AMARK every few days, .........( imitating snoozing ) I do and few if any surprises from time to time.

Psalm 1
Old 02-12-2024, 3:02 PM

Default remember that adage

How many times have we noted; you can't eat Gold; well you can't eat stocks either.

Stocks should easily be 95% of your investment portfolio for retirement and savings yes - I get it - this is about the other 5%. Stocks have their place and there are many threads about them; this is about gold and silver and they have value too. The value of gold and silver can be just collectible, can be "crisis" savings, or for SHTF perceptions. Lots of things that Stocks are Not.

Quote:

Attachment 1198173

T.S. debunking the Left in 3 simple questions.
Old 02-12-2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
How many times have we noted; you can't eat Gold; well you can't eat stocks either.

Stocks should easily be 95% of your investment portfolio for retirement and savings yes - I get it - this is about the other 5%. Stocks have their place and there are many threads about them; this is about gold and silver and they have value too. The value of gold and silver can be just collectible, can be "crisis" savings, or for SHTF perceptions. Lots of things that Stocks are Not.
I have my 5% in soybeans and wheat... not gold. And, I collect audio equipment.