Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 08-13-2018, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Minimum recommended age?

Hi! My kids are 10, almost 11. I am aware of their maturity level of course, but was wondering if there was a recommended minimum age for Appleseed?

I know my kids aren't quite ready by the way they handle their BB guns when I'm down range picking up tin cans.

But from the experience of the instructors I was wondering what they thought IN GENERAL. Clearly it's case by case and up to the parent, but as a guideline of when I can ... purchase some .22s in anticipation.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!

Last edited by Lead Waster; 08-13-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 2:48 PM

I would be interested in this as well. My older (14) just returned from Boy Scout camp, but my younger (11) might not be quite ready. But I was thinking of signing up the whole family.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 PM
CGSSA Leader

It all comes down to attention span. For a smaller child where fatigue can be an issue, we'll usually set them up with a rest of some sort and have them shoot from prone, which solves that issue provided they've got a rifle that fits them at all. However the class is a serious, all day event. Be ready for them to flag about an hour after lunch. Yes, they can take breaks.

Getting good, comfortable eye and ear pro is important. Not always easy to fit a younger shooter, so take the time to do it right.

Anyway, the youngest shooter I've had on the line was five. He was awesome. Obviously this is an exceptional case.

I've had dozens of 8-10 year olds. Mixed results. Usually I'll ask a parent to stay real close just to watch for waving muzzles.

11 and up can usually get by on their own, maybe a little extra help. At 14 they should be fine.

My own daughter, I figure she'll be ready at about age 9.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the response! Wow 5!!

I'll continue to gauge via BB guns and muzzle discipline. I have twins but I'm wondering if it is actually better to take them one at a time, so _I_ can focus entirely one the one kid.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!