Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
Son starting Cal Poly, Sciences, in a few weeks. Daughter is a Health Sciences major, 3rd year.

Both are using 6 yr old Dell Inspiron 5520's, updated to Win10 Home 64-bit, Intel i7 2.2GHz, 8G of RAM, and a 1T HDD that's 90% free space.

6 yr old laptop scares me. I barely get 5 yrs out of mine but mine see's far more use.

Tech-smart neighbor says keep them, but swap HDD for SSD.

What say you? If I swap discs, do I need a 1T SSD? Or can I half that since there's so much free space?

Thanks in advance for any insights offered.

My desktop I bought for $75 On Craigslist. It is a 2010 i5 with 4GB of ram, came with a crappy Dell monitor I sold for $20. I swapped out the ram into 16GB($60) and a 3TB( from an older computer) harddrive for about another $100 or so = $115 for a computer from 2010 that is fast as modern computer I would use it for mapping and coding programs also, so there is no lag. It can handle modern games also($35 single slot 4GB video card) but I don't really care about that. Laptops other hand has to due with battery life. If they can get 3-4 hours in a class they can charge up after, then they will.be fine because finding an outlet is a pain in the butt.If the laptop they have is old I would perhaps just upgrade them to a Chromebook for $150-$300, and if they don't want a Chromebook they can do their homework by hand, I heard you learn more this way.

Last edited by deerdeerdeer; 09-07-2018 at 10:04 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdeerdeer View Post
My desktop I bought for $75 On Craigslist. It is a 2010 i5 with 4GB of ram, came with a crappy Dell monitor I sold for $20. I swapped out the ram into 16GB($60) and a 3TB( from an older computer) harddrive for about another $100 or so = $115 for a computer from 2010 that is fast as modern computer I would use it for mapping and coding programs also, so there is no lag. It can handle modern games also($35 single slot 4GB video card) but I don't really care about that. Laptops other hand has to due with battery life. If they can get 3-4 hours in a class they can charge up after, then they will.be fine because finding an outlet is a pain in the butt.If the laptop they have is old I would perhaps just upgrade them to a Chromebook for $150-$300, and if they don't want a Chromebook they can do their homework by hand, I heard you learn more this way.
You can get a working Lenovo Thinkpad T430s for $150, or a working ThinkPad T440p for $300. New batteries, and chargers, are cheap. I have a T430s that gets 4.5hrs on it's new, 3rd party battery.

A Chromebook is most CERTAINLY not an "upgrade" from any laptop.
Old 09-08-2018, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
You can get a working Lenovo Thinkpad T430s for $150, or a working ThinkPad T440p for $300. New batteries, and chargers, are cheap. I have a T430s that gets 4.5hrs on it's new, 3rd party battery.

A Chromebook is most CERTAINLY not an "upgrade" from any laptop.
I would have to ask if you own one? I would say this because most people who dislike Chromebooks do not own one due to the OS thus have limited or no experience of the unit or the OS. I use mine it has 10+ hours and I use it more than my Surface Pro 4 (2+ hours)due to it being portable, everything gets updated in the drive. I won't be able to use it for my certification program since it's Python but I prefer my Chromebook versus my Surface Pro 4 due to portability, battery usage, and all the free application via Google Play if your Chromebook supports that which includes Office, etc. 10+ battery life is a most when there is only 4 outlets in classroom and they are being hogged by non learning Facebook students a.k.a our liberial counterparts. Trust me when we had the gun discussion about 95% of students wrote 4-5 paragraphs why it's a no go for teachers to be armed in school, their answers were so subjective and not to the objective it was absurd. The teacher who is a liberial even proclaim he is starting to realize he might be leaning towards him owning a gun in a class room debate over a nut case with a gun. We even had students describe what they would do in the situation , most said hide and wait. I stated I will find out who amongst the group is willing to take down the assiliant and I'm willing to whack him in the arm with a desk to disarm and we take him down. In my opinion my option seems more safe as it protects the school and I do not want to be lined up for a mini-genocide. Anywho aside from being off topic I would ask your kid what their opinion is!

Last edited by deerdeerdeer; 09-08-2018 at 10:39 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I would have to ask if you own one? I would say this because most people who dislike Chromebooks do not own one due to the OS thus have limited or no experience of the unit or the OS. I use mine it has 10+ hours and I use it more than my Surface Pro 4 (2+ hours)due to it being portable, everything gets updated in the drive. I won't be able to use it for my certification program since it's Python but I prefer my Chromebook versus my Surface Pro 4 due to portability, battery usage, and all the free application via Google Play if your Chromebook supports that which includes Office, etc. 10+ battery life is a most when there is only 4 outlets in classroom and they are being hogged by non learning Facebook students a.k.a our liberial counterparts. Trust me when we had the gun discussion about 95% of students wrote 4-5 paragraphs why it's a no go for teachers to be armed in school, their answers were so subjective and not to the objective it was absurd. The teacher who is a liberial even proclaim he is starting to realize he might be leaning towards him owning a gun in a class room debate over a nut case with a gun. We even had students describe what they would do in the situation , most said hide and wait. I stated I will find out who amongst the group is willing to take down the assiliant and I'm willing to whack him in the arm with a desk to disarm and we take him down. In my opinion my option seems more safe as it protects the school and I do not want to be lined up for a mini-genocide. Anywho aside from being off topic I would ask your kid what their opinion is!
I actually own three of them. Two, are in my "junk pile". Just the fact you have no local storage, and it won't do much more than a "Smart phone", is a deal killer. They're also very delicate. My daughter dropped hers (Samsung) while it was in her backpack, and completely busted the screen.

Personally, I prefer an abacus, over a Surface Pro 4.

When my kids were in school, they would've prefer to be armed, or SOMEone to be armed.

Last edited by Dragunov; 09-08-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Old 09-08-2018, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I actually own three of them. Two, are in my "junk pile". Just the fact you have no local storage, and it won't do much more than a "Smart phone", is a deal killer. They're also very delicate. My daughter dropped hers (Samsung) while it was in her backpack, and completely busted the screen.

Personally, I prefer an abacus, over a Surface Pro 4.

When my kids were in school, they would've prefer to be armed, or SOMEone to be armed.
Damn and all this time I've been using my fingers, grrr!
Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Damn and all this time I've been using my fingers, grrr!
Old 09-19-2018, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Son starting Cal Poly, Sciences, in a few weeks. Daughter is a Health Sciences major, 3rd year.

Both are using 6 yr old Dell Inspiron 5520's, updated to Win10 Home 64-bit, Intel i7 2.2GHz, 8G of RAM, and a 1T HDD that's 90% free space.

6 yr old laptop scares me. I barely get 5 yrs out of mine but mine see's far more use.

Tech-smart neighbor says keep them, but swap HDD for SSD.

What say you? If I swap discs, do I need a 1T SSD? Or can I half that since there's so much free space?

Thanks in advance for any insights offered.
When my daughter started her college career in 2002 we bought her a new Dell desktop through the college bookstore and got a tax deduction for it. So bought one for myself through the college book store the following year and also got a tax credit. Both have since been replaced, her hubby built their new PC's himself and she bought a small laptop for work and travel.
Old 09-19-2018, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You work with what you have/can afford. Surface pro's are just one level above junk, and expensive to boot. Same with the ipad. An ipad is a level under junk.

A good laptop will last 20 years. I know, I have a few that old. A 6 year old laptop will work just fine, if properly maintained. More efficient, replacement batteries can be had rather cheaply.

Computer parts are cheap, and easy to replace. Electronic components, if cared for, will last 100 years (no moving parts), if they're not defective, or abused.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.
sorry, i just saw this post after the thread went away for awhile. you are 100% wrong and obviously a hoarder. youre more than welcome to have a laptop built in 1998, its useless in today's world.

surface pros are one of the best laptops you can buy right now for students. this is a reason MS keeps building them, theyre selling to students, engineers and IT pros alike. ive been buying them for several years now.

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-windows-laptop
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp
https://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...aptops-1304361

no student wants to carry around a few 3 pound batteries to get them through a day of school and then worry about recharging them for the next day. old batteries and old laptops are inefficient, if youre saying otherwise, youre either full of it or grossly ignorant.

Quote:
Just a side note:

If your hard drive goes out in a Surface Book Pro.... you're screwed. MS has locked the BIOS down, and you can't boot from ANYTHING but the hard drive that just went out.

You cant get in to the BIOS.
You can't boot from USB.
You can't boot from a DVD.
You can't replace the Hard drive, and load an O/S.

You're stuck.

Just something to think about.
you know absolutely zero about what you speak. the bios is not "locked down", it is fully able to be flashed by the user and i can boot to a diff OS using a thumbdrive. i can also use a usb DVDROM if needed.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7418...t-surface-book

there is no "hard drive". its solid state storage built into the mainboard. other components will fail before the storage does and if the user does get a bad ssd, modern laptops use cloud storage for auto backup which is the point of getting lte laptops.

please dont tell anyone to "think about" something when you dont know what youre talking about.

i hope i havent been too rough with you. i dont mean to insult you but it is insanely annoying to hear folks like yourself spreading nonsense like what you have posted above. its akin to going into a gun store and the guys spreading FUD.

tech FUD does nothing but cost the op time and money and most importantly, decreases production of his children when theyre spending gobs of his money to attend a polytech school. the best ROI he can get is to provide his intelligent kids the tools they need to be the best they can be.
Old 09-20-2018, 3:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I know it's just me, but I don't use "The Cloud" for anything. "The Cloud" is just another word for "Someone else's server/computer" that needs maintained, and looked after, and another potential vulnerability. All you really need to do, is get a couple external drives, duplicate them, and keep one off site.
I second. I'm with you on this.

Last edited by the86d; 09-20-2018 at 3:21 AM..
Old 09-20-2018, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
sorry, i just saw this post after the thread went away for awhile. you are 100% wrong and obviously a hoarder. youre more than welcome to have a laptop built in 1998, its useless in today's world.
------------------------------------------------------
I have two built in 1998. I have them, because they're in mint condition. Yes, pretty useless, I agree. They're a novelty. I have seven laptops I keep as my own. My wife has two. Mine are:

Two for novelty.
One for work.
Two for Gaming.
One for doing on-line business transactions.
One for bench testing purposes.

They range from a brand new MSI, to a five year old ThinkPad.

My wife has her "Daily Driver", and one for a backup.

Not my definition of a "Hoarder"

surface pros are one of the best laptops you can buy right now for students. this is a reason MS keeps building them, theyre selling to students, engineers and IT pros alike. ive been buying them for several years now.

They're overpriced junk. Period. Buy all you like.

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-windows-laptop
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp
https://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...aptops-1304361

no student wants to carry around a few 3 pound batteries to get them through a day of school and then worry about recharging them for the next day. old batteries and old laptops are inefficient, if youre saying otherwise, youre either full of it or grossly ignorant.
--------------------------------------------

You lug around what you can afford, sonny. If you can swing a new HP Spectra, good on ya'. Go for it. If you have only $250, You lug around a three year old HP15, or a Dell Inspiron 3521. THAT'S what I'm saying. Simple as that.

you know absolutely zero about what you speak. the bios is not "locked down", it is fully able to be flashed by the user and i can boot to a diff OS using a thumbdrive. i can also use a usb DVDROM if needed.

"You are correct on this one, I spoke before I actually put my hands on one a few days ago. I recant. The person I heard this from was a reliable source. I no longer consider him so. My apologies for opening my mouth, before doing my own research. BTW? Still overpriced junk.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7418...t-surface-book

there is no "hard drive". its solid state storage built into the mainboard. other components will fail before the storage does and if the user does get a bad ssd, modern laptops use cloud storage for auto backup which is the point of getting lte laptops.

please dont tell anyone to "think about" something when you dont know what youre talking about.

"I've forgotten more about computers, than you're ever going to learn, sonny.
I worked SIPRNET security for 25 years, I also taught 94/f, 35/f, 25/u.

You want to trust "The Cloud"? You go RIGHT ahead. If you knew, what I know about it, you wouldn't go NEAR it.

Good luck to anyone using "The Cloud", you may need it.
"

i hope i havent been too rough with you. i dont mean to insult you but it is insanely annoying to hear folks like yourself spreading nonsense like what you have posted above. its akin to going into a gun store and the guys spreading FUD.

"Of course you meant to insult me you arrogant little tool.
Your grammar, and spelling, are insanely annoying! Go back to third grade, reboot, and try it again.

You're nothing more than any other arrogant, little know-it-all-know-nothing that I deal with on a near daily basis. I've been steadily employed, one way or another, in the I.T. field for 42 years, when people like you are standing in the unemployment line.
I eat people like you for lunch. Come back and talk when you've been around this crap for as long as I have. Until then, you can pour yourself a nice, hot cup of STFU.

---------------------------------------------
tech FUD does nothing but cost the op time and money and most importantly, decreases production of his children when theyre spending gobs of his money to attend a polytech school. the best ROI he can get is to provide his intelligent kids the tools they need to be the best they can be.
Nothing FUD about anything I said, other than opening my yap about the Surface Pro, when I shouldn't have. I reiterate... You use what you can afford. SOME people, aren't fortunate enough to walk around with a silver spoon shoved up their buttholes. They're damned grateful to get what they can.
You need to learn to spell, and employ the proper use of grammar. Your post was cringe worthy, and very difficult to get through. This alone, destroys any credibility you might've had.

Go back to school, Sonny.

I'm done with you.
Old 09-20-2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I second. I'm with you on this.
I have my own reasons for not using "The Cloud", and it has more to do with "other", than what I had posted about earlier.

You are a wise man!

You may "Pass Go", and collect your 200 duckets.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nothing FUD about anything I said, other than opening my yap about the Surface Pro, when I shouldn't have. I reiterate... You use what you can afford. SOME people, aren't fortunate enough to walk around with a silver spoon shoved up their buttholes. They're damned grateful to get what they can.
You need to learn to spell, and employ the proper use of grammar. Your post was cringe worthy, and very difficult to get through. This alone, destroys any credibility you might've had.

Go back to school, Sonny.

I'm done with you.
op is investing $30k+ into each kid's education. $1200 for a laptop is nothing.

you can focus on punctuation if you wish but that is just another sign of you being out of your depth in this debate.

lol, it is true though that you have forgotten more than i will know. everything you may have understood went end of life 20+ years ago. i have only worked on forward thinking technology during my career. i have had to babysit legacy folks like yourself though during migrations. i understand the type and try to be patient.

you taught tech for the Army god knows how long ago. how is that relevant for this debate? i am sorry but that doesnt excuse you for the ignorance above. my grandfather led engineering teams at stanford and livermore labs after he retired from the Corps and my other grandfather was VP of comms engineering for Rockwell. the Marine grandfather would chuckle at your sippernet reference because that is his baby. both know fully well that their experience in computing and internetworking is irrelevant in today's world. both would also rather die than talk out of their backside about something they knew nothing about. this is how i know youre not an engineer.

if you knew anything about "the cloud", you would again be able to speak in an educated manner. you have no idea that your bank, brokerage firm, retirement from the gov, etc are all now involved with the cloud or will be shortly. as with everything Fed, they are the slowest to migrate but they are migrating. even your social security will come from the cloud soon as theyre transitioning to java from cobol for hosting in the cloud.

comparing yourself to me is a mistake. ive never worried about steady employment and dont need to go on about how many years i have in what focus or what certs i maintain. youre right, i may come off as arrogant. thats what happens when you speak with clarity on what you know. the tone comes off as arrogance to those who know nothing about the topic at hand. all i can say is that i am not ignorant of what i write which is more than i can say for you.
Old 09-20-2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:

you can focus on punctuation if you wish but that is just another sign of you being out of your depth in this debate.

lol, it is true though that you have forgotten more than i will know. everything you may have understood went end of life 20+ years ago. i have only worked on forward thinking technology during my career. i have had to babysit legacy folks like yourself though during migrations. i understand the type and try to be patient.

you taught tech for the Army god knows how long ago. how is that relevant for this debate? i am sorry but that doesnt excuse you for the ignorance above. my grandfather led engineering teams at stanford and livermore labs after he retired from the Corps and my other grandfather was VP of comms engineering for Rockwell. the Marine grandfather would chuckle at your sippernet reference because that is his baby. both know fully well that their experience in computing and internetworking is irrelevant in today's world. both would also rather die than talk out of their backside about something they knew nothing about. this is how i know youre not an engineer.

if you knew anything about "the cloud", you would again be able to speak in an educated manner. you have no idea that your bank, brokerage firm, retirement from the gov, etc are all now involved with the cloud or will be shortly. as with everything Fed, they are the slowest to migrate but they are migrating. even your social security will come from the cloud soon as theyre transitioning to java from cobol for hosting in the cloud.

comparing yourself to me is a mistake. ive never worried about steady employment and dont need to go on about how many years i have in what focus or what certs i maintain. youre right, i may come off as arrogant. thats what happens when you speak with clarity on what you know. the tone comes off as arrogance to those who know nothing about the topic at hand. all i can say is that i am not ignorant of what i write which is more than i can say for you.
No,you come off as arrogant, simply because, you're arrogant, and not even close to my league pal. I retired in 2012. As I've said, I have forgotten more than you're ever going to learn, and I keep up with tech. I'm well aware of whom is on, and going to be on "TheCloud". You're still ignorant, and need to learn to spell. Thus far? by what you're saying, you're full of crap, and have zero credibility, and now, you're useless butt is on ignore.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Anyone can typo, but the lack of even single char. capitalization and missing apostrophes shows utter, and complete laziness.
It seems to me if like 5 paragraphs were typed, and after being criticized on grammar, the LEAST someone could do is capitalize sentences.
That is usually how texts come to me from iPhone owners.

Last edited by the86d; 09-21-2018 at 4:06 AM..
Old 09-21-2018, 8:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks for all the input guys.

For those that asked or wondered, I've gotten burned out replacing things that still have a lot of life left in them. It's become a fool's errand in my mind, especially with tech. I've got a crate of old laptops in my garage that were all replaced at the 5 yr. mark and they still worked fine for everything I've needed them to do, especially after I restored the HD and OS to "new". That's what got me thinking about when their replacement is really "necessary".

Going down that same path with our phones, too. My smart phone just turned 3, replaced the battery for $30 and I should have a few yrs left. Still have the one before that, that I use as a back-up GPS when off-roading. Did new batteries for the rest of the family phones, too. Been saving $1,200+/yr. when I stopped doing the "new every two" game.

Same thing with the cars. My daily driver is a 15 yr old 4Runner with 103k miles. My kids is a 13 yr old 4Runner with 115k miles, and the wife drives a 13 yr old Lexus LX 470. Haven't had a car payment in 10 yrs.

My first flatscreen TV wasn't until 2011, a 55" Panny plasma. Still works great, but will probably be replaced soon just because its by far the biggest energy hog in my house.

My point is, my $ is better spent being saved and invested in to more real estate, or paying that f-ing $2k+ monthly insurance premium. And hopefully my kids will learn that in today's Disposable Society, replacing tech and many other things, when not necessary, is removing $ from their pockets and putting it in to others. If I could just get the wife to see the light with her shoes and purses habit .

BTW, the laptops are 6 lbs, not 3 lbs. However they spend most of their time sitting on their desks or in their computer bags at the dorms until the kids really need a big keyboard and display for longer papers, etc, and the kids bring their iPads w/keyboards to class. When they need new laptops, we'll get them. They, and probably most of the rest of the kids these days, are using cloud storage, probably GDrive. Our local public schools have been having the kids use GDrive and GDocs for years, so it's 2nd nature to them. I encourage them to b/u on thumb drives too.
Old 09-21-2018, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I just upgraded my last tube TV to LCD in the last 3-4 years myself. Mainly due to a lack of HDMI inputs and power consumption, but running the air more... Now. :-)
Old 09-23-2018, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys.

For those that asked or wondered, I've gotten burned out replacing things that still have a lot of life left in them. It's become a fool's errand in my mind, especially with tech. I've got a crate of old laptops in my garage that were all replaced at the 5 yr. mark and they still worked fine for everything I've needed them to do, especially after I restored the HD and OS to "new". That's what got me thinking about when their replacement is really "necessary".

Going down that same path with our phones, too. My smart phone just turned 3, replaced the battery for $30 and I should have a few yrs left. Still have the one before that, that I use as a back-up GPS when off-roading. Did new batteries for the rest of the family phones, too. Been saving $1,200+/yr. when I stopped doing the "new every two" game.

Same thing with the cars. My daily driver is a 15 yr old 4Runner with 103k miles. My kids is a 13 yr old 4Runner with 115k miles, and the wife drives a 13 yr old Lexus LX 470. Haven't had a car payment in 10 yrs.

My first flatscreen TV wasn't until 2011, a 55" Panny plasma. Still works great, but will probably be replaced soon just because its by far the biggest energy hog in my house.

My point is, my $ is better spent being saved and invested in to more real estate, or paying that f-ing $2k+ monthly insurance premium. And hopefully my kids will learn that in today's Disposable Society, replacing tech and many other things, when not necessary, is removing $ from their pockets and putting it in to others. If I could just get the wife to see the light with her shoes and purses habit .

BTW, the laptops are 6 lbs, not 3 lbs. However they spend most of their time sitting on their desks or in their computer bags at the dorms until the kids really need a big keyboard and display for longer papers, etc, and the kids bring their iPads w/keyboards to class. When they need new laptops, we'll get them. They, and probably most of the rest of the kids these days, are using cloud storage, probably GDrive. Our local public schools have been having the kids use GDrive and GDocs for years, so it's 2nd nature to them. I encourage them to b/u on thumb drives too.
If you want to get rid of those laptops, PM me.
Old 09-24-2018, 5:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

If/when I decide to get rid of them they will be going to you

Quote:
If you want to get rid of those laptops, PM me.
Old 09-26-2018, 6:24 AM

Quote:
If/when I decide to get rid of them they will be going to you
YAY! YOU da MAN!
Old 11-22-2018, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
MINIMUM, ThinkPad T400/T500
8gb/ DDR3 1333 ram (You can actually "get by" with 6gb/RAM in the Win7Pro, ...
Is 8GB MAX RAM on these T400's, with current Bios/UEFI Firmware?
Old 11-22-2018, 7:01 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

If your kids aren't having issues why upgrade?