Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

For work it just so happens the states i travel to most are Florida and Arizona so i have permits for both those states.

We have been increasing our PNW presence so i have obtained my WAS and OR (eta Oct)

For play, mostly OR/AZ/NV and so having one for the exact state i go to (whether work or play) Makes sense for me.

I don’t mind paying the extra $ to maintain the extra permits. I feel like you never know what type of interaction you may get with an LEO, they may know the reciprocity laws, they may have no clue. I feel like having the LTC for the state you are in may make for an easier conversation knowing that you are carrying concealed with a permit that state issued to you.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:59 AM

If you are only going to get one, I would do Utah or Arizona. As mentioned earlier, crunch the numbers now and every 5 years and make your decision. They have the same states currently, except only Utah has Washington and only Arizona has New Mexico.

However, if you do two non-resident permits, consider Utah and Florida. Florida adds New Mexico and Florida. Utah would get you Washington.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 08-16-2018, 2:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Why do you guys argue the merit of one over the other? Just get all of them and not worry about what coverage each offers. This way it is not an issue. Who cares if they are redundant to some extent!!!!!!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 08-16-2018, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Why do you guys argue the merit of one over the other? Just get all of them and not worry about what coverage each offers. This way it is not an issue. Who cares if they are redundant to some extent!!!!!!
Time and money.

Drive to Idaho and get their enhanced non-res permit. Way better coverage than any other permit. Just need to apply and pick in person (including renewals). But its coverage is awesome, though still no Oregon.

I am tempted to get it. Find a USPSA or PRS match in the area around the time of the training class and make it a mini vacation
Old 08-16-2018, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Jake, I agree with you strongly. I have 5 states personally (CA,UT,FL,AZ,NH) and am looking at getting 4-5 (OR,PA,NV,VA,CT) more. That being said, not everyone is going to do that. Time and money come into play, unfortunately.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 08-16-2018, 4:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Time and money.

Drive to Idaho and get their enhanced non-res permit. Way better coverage than any other permit. Just need to apply and pick in person (including renewals). But its coverage is awesome, though still no Oregon.

I am tempted to get it. Find a USPSA or PRS match in the area around the time of the training class and make it a mini vacation
The money is really a non-issue as is the time. If I can do it anyone can!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 08-16-2018, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Time and money.

What does Idaho offer that all of the other permits I have don't?

Old 08-16-2018, 4:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites of Their Eyes View Post
Jake, I agree with you strongly. I have 5 states personally (CA,UT,FL,AZ,NH) and am looking at getting 4-5 (OR,PA,NV,VA,CT) more. That being said, not everyone is going to do that. Time and money come into play, unfortunately.
Get Maine as well. All done through the mail!

Old 08-16-2018, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

Am I missing something or is CO off the CCW radar fro CA residents?

Looks like CO won't recognize any non res permit.
Old 08-16-2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
What does Idaho offer that all of the other permits I have don't?
Minnesota, which is on the way to my parents house and we travel there often since they literally live 2 miles from the state border. And the simplicity of a single non-res permit. Cost wise, after adding up the multiple state fees, the multiple Live Scan fees and any training, it might be a wash in terms of cost since you need to be present in Idaho to apply/renew and to pickup

I'll admit I am part way there already. I have CA, AZ and UT already.
Old 08-17-2018, 6:03 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Am I missing something or is CO off the CCW radar fro CA residents?

Looks like CO won't recognize any non res permit.
100%.
Colorado and South Carolina.
They do not issue non-resident permits (though if you own any property SC will issue whether you are a resident or not)
They both follow actual "reciprosity" and not merely "recognition"
Any state that recognizes the California permit is following "recognition"... reciprosity requires that both states recognize each other's permits.

Fortunately, CO is an OC state (outside of Denver), and many states DO allow a person to have a loaded firearm in their glovebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.