Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-03-2017, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, per capita OR has the largest number of food stamp recipients. Here is a report from March of this year:

https://www.cbpp.org/sites/default/f...eet_oregon.pdf

When I head up to Medfordto shoot USPSA, it reminds more and more of Redding....a bad thing.
Same type of "homeless" people all over. Same type of rude people in the stores, etc.

Again, I do like the S.E. areas of Oregon...Burns, Lakeview, Ontario, etc. but the I-5 corridor cities are really starting to show the out of state mentality and attitude that has ruined CA.

We here in Redding use to be a bit removed from the central and southern CA and use to be pretty conservative. Now, we are just an extension of the Bay Area as far as crime, rudeness, drugs, etc.

All the decriminalization and legal weed, etc., is happening in OR as well. Only a matter of time before the politics swing harder left. Heck...your governor is Brown too.

Glad you found a home that works for you. Can't wait to make my escape.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 10-03-2017, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
Yes, per capita OR has the largest number of food stamp recipients. Here is a report from March of this year:

Using the latest figures from June 2017 https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...SNAPcurrPP.pdf Oregon is 5th in percentage on SNAP.
  1. New Mexico 21.9%
  2. Louisiana 18.8%
  3. West Virginia 18.3%
  4. Mississippi 17.7%
  5. Oregon 16.6%

There are a lot of low-income people outside of the greater Portland area, no doubt.

Quote:
All the decriminalization and legal weed, etc., is happening in OR as well. Only a matter of time before the politics swing harder left. Heck...your governor is Brown too.
Left in a hippie type of way (yes, I know it's from Portlandia)

although like California there are antifa idiots in Portland too

On the other hand Oregon also has the right-wing sovereign citizen types like the ones who occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

and who were acquitted by a jury of many of the federal charges brought against them http://katu.com/news/local/ammon-bun...ortland-oregon

It's an interesting mix. It's not all just liberals and pot. Like California, there is a lot of natural beauty.

There continues to be reluctance to pass much gun control, and there is strong resistance among the people to higher taxes. Every time they talk about adding a sales tax it goes nowhere. They tried to increase the business tax last year with Prop 97 and it lost 59% to 41% despite heavy campaign advertising on TV by the public employee unions https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Busin...asure_97_(2016) .

Quote:
pistol noun pis·tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
I'm happy to help people who have specific questions, but I ignore threads that begin with the command "school me".

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 10-03-2017 at 6:02 PM..
Old 10-03-2017, 5:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

When I head up to Medfordto shoot USPSA, it reminds more and more of Redding....a bad thing.
Same type of "homeless" people all over. Same type of rude people in the stores, etc.

Again, I do like the S.E. areas of Oregon...Burns, Lakeview, Ontario, etc. but the I-5 corridor cities are really starting to show the out of state mentality and attitude that has ruined CA.

We here in Redding use to be a bit removed from the central and southern CA and use to be pretty conservative. Now, we are just an extension of the Bay Area as far as crime, rudeness, drugs, etc.

Glad you found a home that works for you. Can't wait to make my escape.

Love Redding. But it has really changed in the last 10 years. Don't know if I'd go back.

Old 10-04-2017, 1:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralhunter View Post
This is my biggest hurdle. There is nowhere outside of Los Angeles where you can get QUALITY authentic ethnic food in wide variety.

When my wife and I retire, I suggested moving to Las Vegas since they have a major international airport and due to the wide range of clientele, the city has a ton of different types of restaurants. It's not LA, but it's acceptable. But I fear by the time we retire, the state will be like California.
Las Vegas has lots of quality ethnic foods in a wide variety. Sometimes you have to go off-Strip but there are some truly amazing restaurants on the Strip.

Miami has some amazing foods too, including but not limited to the various Caribbean cuisines. On a work trip to Miami Beach, we accidentally wandered into a touristy Little Italy where the workers all spoke Italian and the pizza and pasta was to die for. We had no trouble finding excellent sushi and also ate at a fantastic Brazilian restaurant. There was also an excellent Cuban restaurant. I did not get to try any Mexican restaurants; it would be important to me to find at least one good Mexican restaurant in Miami before moving there.

I'd include NYC and Chicago for wide variety of good ethnic foods except they aren't good on guns. I'm assuming that if you're considering leaving CA in part because of the gun laws, you wouldn't move to where the gun laws are worse.

Last edited by dchang0; 10-04-2017 at 1:36 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 1:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1911 View Post
Kalifornia actually discovered a way around prop 13. In fact, they found an elegant solution. It’s called fiscal zoning.

It’s even better than raising rates.

https://litigation-essentials.lexisn...1c1f156fb270cf

This state has been at it for years. Housing policy is to restrict the supply and drive up prices.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...nap-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-p...ousing-supply/

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/1...ng-crisis.html

They've also figured out how to do an end-run around Prop 13 by adding a "fee."

City of El Monte was exposed (IIRC by the LA Times) adding a big fee on local property owners to pay for city manager pensions. IIRC, one of the homeowners they interviewed reported finding a >$1000 fee on his annual bill under some innocuous description.

The way this state spends/wastes money, it's going to have to raise taxes and raise them on many more people (mostly middle class), and that probably still won't be enough to close the gap.

Expect to see taxes of all types see incremental increases such that the total increase will be massive and painful. Eventually, they'll drop the subterfuge and go for a highly visible tax increase like repealing Prop. 13. It won't be because they want to; it will be a last resort. But like Illinois is doing right now, Calif. MUST do so once the threat of a credit downgrade becomes immediately imminent.

Before everyone jumps on me for saying so, keep in mind I'm not advocating tax increases. I'm pointing out that they will be a necessity so long as Calif. doesn't dramatically cut down spending.

Last edited by dchang0; 10-04-2017 at 1:28 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 8:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralhunter View Post
This is my biggest hurdle. There is nowhere outside of Los Angeles where you can get QUALITY authentic ethnic food in wide variety.

When my wife and I retire, I suggested moving to Las Vegas since they have a major international airport and due to the wide range of clientele, the city has a ton of different types of restaurants. It's not LA, but it's acceptable. But I fear by the time we retire, the state will be like California.
Please don't take this wrong but if the reason you don't want to leave la-la land is "QUALITY authentic ethnic food", most free States will not want you and your logic.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”
Samuel Adams
Old 10-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^^^^^^
This
Old 10-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuolumnejim View Post
Please don't take this wrong but if the reason you don't want to leave la-la land is "QUALITY authentic ethnic food", most free States will not want you and your logic.
Yeah, folks who do not travel much to other states automatically think you can't get great thai, vietnamese, mexican, etc. The Food Channel has done wonders in creating a foodie culture that transcends Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, etc. Salt Lake City is a foodies place, same with Baltimore, Chapel Hill, Atlanta, etc. etc. Dallas/Fort Worth, my future home, has tons of great ethnic restaurants and markets, not including local cuisine. One of best thai meals I ever had is in the DFW area. Getting great food is not a problem in the 50 states.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 12-29-2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
It's a little off topic, but regarding California and whether it's a desirable place to live, as we used to say in the 1970's

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT !

You folks who think California sucks, please do us all a huge favor, move out of state, and stop whining.
Hmmm...Aren't you the one complaining about people leaving snarky remarks in the women's forum.?
Old 12-29-2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Gavin (Gun Killer) Newsom is going to be our governor soon. I have been saving up for the big move. http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...overnors-race/
Damn it.

Now I need a M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A, Hakim, FN-49, and SKS.

It's a good thing Gavin made me get a COE and 03 FFL.
Old 12-29-2017, 4:46 PM

The left has $150 to $200 million to spend on the election in California for 2018. The right has maybe $15 million. The question is how to minimize or reduce the pain.

Support Villaraigosa, he does have a chance and is running as a moderate dem.

Newsom is running as a far left progressive.

It's very likely the dems will gain 3 to 4 more seats in the State Assembly/Senate; they will have a super majority for a long time in CA.

Is there one state elected position held by a republican? No, not a single republic holds a top state office position.

If you combine a super majority with Newsom as Governor for 4 years; 8 years; not a pretty picture.

Fortunate and glad I retire in 7 years max. I can't imagine the tax structure and over-regulation that are likely to exist in another 5 to 10 years in CA.
Old 12-29-2017, 6:12 PM

Newsom will get Ebola from screwing a monkey and die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 6:16 PM

Honestly, if Villaraigosa runs, he has a chance. 99% of Hispanics will vote for him.

Newsom is literally the anti-gun God. We're so f'n f'd if he wins. This is like 2016 again, anybody other than Newsom.
Old 12-29-2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
Hmmm...Aren't you the one complaining about people leaving snarky remarks in the women's forum.?
Yes, one and only
Old 12-29-2017, 6:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire raeb View Post
Newsom will get Ebola from screwing a monkey and die.

Why do people always post things like this and get my hopes up.....
Old 12-29-2017, 6:55 PM

Just turn to the nearest old person and tell him, "thanks for ****ing this state up."
Old 12-29-2017, 8:40 PM

Unfortunately I cannot leave now; I am 5 1/2 years from retirement, and to top it off, moving towards the OC to take care of my parents who are pretty old and sick. When i am at KMA time and eligible to retire, I will be moving towards either Prescott or Flagstaff. Buy a nice piece of property with my dog and my SBR's and suppressors that are sitting at a friends house in Yuma.

I grew up in this state, was able to escape it, but just like a bad nightmare, had to return. It was paradise when I was growing up; beach, mountains, hunting, beautiful women, and beautiful monuments like B&B and B&E guns. Now I am single, overtaxed, property is way too overpriced in the OC, and homeless people everywhere, from San Diego to the OC.
Old 12-29-2017, 9:39 PM

^^^^^I wouldn't refer to B&B guns as a beautiful monument. More like snarky, rude, know-it-all salesmen who sometimes treated customers very curtly.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
^^^^^I wouldn't refer to B&B guns as a beautiful monument. More like snarky, rude, know-it-all salesmen who sometimes treated customers very curtly.
Yes,B&B did have a reputation for that.

Around 1985 or so,I bought my first handgun there,and many more guns over the years.

I never personally had a problem with any of the salesmen there,but I knew the store had a reputation.

In fact,when I worked around 94 or 95 as a gun salesman at Gun World Outlet in Northridge,I used to (Mostly Jokingly)refer to B&B as Brutal & Barbaric.

Little did I know that 2 years later I would be one of those salesman at B&B,working there till literally a week before they closed the doors.

Don was running the sales floor then,and he would not tolerate crappy customer service from his salesmen.

I think we had a pretty good crew then.
I think the customer service was pretty good during those last few years.

But a bad reputation isn't something that is always easy to shed.

Most fun for sure I've ever had at any Job working there though-easily!

Old 12-30-2017, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swruger View Post
The left has $150 to $200 million to spend on the election in California for 2018. The right has maybe $15 million. The question is how to minimize or reduce the pain.

It's very likely the dems will gain 3 to 4 more seats in the State Assembly/Senate; they will have a super majority for a long time in CA.

Is there one state elected position held by a republican? No, not a single republic holds a top state office position.

If you combine a super majority with Newsom as Governor for 4 years; 8 years; not a pretty picture.

Fortunate and glad I retire in 7 years max. I can't imagine the tax structure and over-regulation that are likely to exist in another 5 to 10 years in CA.
The reality is that if Nuisance is a as bad as you say, then he and his supermajority bunk buddies will totally F up this state is a very short time. Venezuela levels of government failure are coming.

At that point there will be consequences. No it won't be pretty.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Old 12-30-2017, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
Yes,B&B did have a reputation for that.

Around 1985 or so,I bought my first handgun there,and many more guns over the years.

I never personally had a problem with any of the salesmen there,but I knew the store had a reputation.

In fact,when I worked around 94 or 95 as a gun salesman at Gun World Outlet in Northridge,I used to (Mostly Jokingly)refer to B&B as Brutal & Barbaric.

Little did I know that 2 years later I would be one of those salesman at B&B,working there till literally a week before they closed the doors.

Don was running the sales floor then,and he would not tolerate crappy customer service from his salesmen.

I think we had a pretty good crew then.
I think the customer service was pretty good during those last few years.

But a bad reputation isn't something that is always easy to shed.

Most fun for sure I've ever had at any Job working there though-easily!

By the time you were employed there I had already left the area. Glad to hear that they did better at the end. Not all I dealt with were that way, some were actually easy (Dennis comes to mind; he was some type of peace officer as I recall).
I bought a few HK-91's and other assorted firearms from them starting in 1981, but in my experience the height of snark was around '86-89. Being that there was always a waiting line with numbers, that doesn't surprise me. In those days handguns required a fifteen day wait, long guns were out the door.
Sure wish things were that easy now!
Old 12-30-2017, 1:59 PM

I don't understand the title of this thread and my speed read through it I didn't see "buy what" before you can? The title says "buy them while you can"

BUY WHAT?
Old 12-30-2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swruger View Post

Now that's funny.

Villaraigosa is a hyper-leftist, his law school was The People's College of Law, in LA, a "progressive campus for social change". A community organizer in training, working as an agitator for the L.A. Teachers Union, ACLU, etc. As mayor, he was an awful leader, similar to Obama. Big-time gun control advocate, tax and spend mayor, also an ex-leader of MECHA and one of the states biggest advocates for illegal Mexicans.

The two top candidates for Governor, both are no different.
I remember in past years in Calguns when idiots would post that Obama was a moderate, completely ignoring his past. Believe me when I say that Villaraigosa is no "moderate".

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 12-30-2017, 4:55 PM

Villaraigosa on the issues-including gun control:

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Ant...un_Control.htm

Old 12-30-2017, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
Using the latest figures from June 2017 https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...SNAPcurrPP.pdf Oregon is 5th in percentage on SNAP.
  1. New Mexico 21.9%
  2. Louisiana 18.8%
  3. West Virginia 18.3%
  4. Mississippi 17.7%
  5. Oregon 16.6%

There are a lot of low-income people outside of the greater Portland area, no doubt.

Left in a hippie type of way (yes, I know it's from Portlandia)

although like California there are antifa idiots in Portland too

On the other hand Oregon also has the right-wing sovereign citizen types like the ones who occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

and who were acquitted by a jury of many of the federal charges brought against them http://katu.com/news/local/ammon-bun...ortland-oregon

It's an interesting mix. It's not all just liberals and pot. Like California, there is a lot of natural beauty.

There continues to be reluctance to pass much gun control, and there is strong resistance among the people to higher taxes. Every time they talk about adding a sales tax it goes nowhere. They tried to increase the business tax last year with Prop 97 and it lost 59% to 41% despite heavy campaign advertising on TV by the public employee unions https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Busin...asure_97_(2016) .
Never forget how long it took for California to get to the cesspool it is today. They will do it over and over again until it passes. It's only a matter of time.

It took less than 30 years of non stop gun control to get where we are today and a populace to support it on the ballot last year. 35 years ago Prop 15 lost within about a percentage point to the victory of Prop 63. 35 years this state went from hardly any gun control on the legislative agenda to an agenda it's every single year.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...tiative_(1982)

Quote:
Result Votes Percentage
Defeated No 4,799,586 62.8%
Yes 2,840,154 37.2%

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...ine_Ban_(2016)
Quote:
Result Votes Percentage
Approved Yes 8,663,159 63.08%
No 5,070,772 36.92%
never give up never give an inch. they are persistent as you know. they will never ever stop.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:14 AM

"When" Gavin is installed as Governor you Kalifornia gun owners will experience gun control on steroids all in the name of safety for all. Just to name a "few" possible new regulations.

* Semi-Auto handguns will be the new "Assault Weapons" and will have to be registered as such along with use and transfer restrictions.

* A total ban on 80% frames and firearms made with 80% frames.

* Limits on how much ammunition may be stored in residences.

* More restrictions on magazine capacity such as reducing the legal amount to 6 rounds as NY did.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam View Post
"When" Gavin is installed as Governor you Kalifornia gun owners will experience gun control on steroids all in the name of safety for all. Just to name a "few" possible new regulations.

* Semi-Auto handguns will be the new "Assault Weapons" and will have to be registered as such along with use and transfer restrictions.

* A total ban on 80% frames and firearms made with 80% frames.

* Limits on how much ammunition may be stored in residences.

* More restrictions on magazine capacity such as reducing the legal amount to 6 rounds as NY did.
You forgot:

*Complete ban of semi auto center fire rifles

*Confiscation of RAWs

Gavin will literally destroy what's left of the 2nd amendment.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:54 AM

I keep reading this thread when i get concerned about leaving the state. My wife and I decided to leave a few months ago, and are as soon as our lease is up in a few months. I am born and raised in california and have watched it go to hell in my 30+ years here.

As for the tech industry, they are leaving in droves. I know a lot of software engineers who have left california for greener pastures. The cost of living is too high here and tech jobs elsewhere in the country pay within usually 10% of what California pays.

Also a lot of tech companies are starting to flee to greener pastures as well. There is a social media bubble that will burst in the next 2 years. The business climate is garbage in this state.

There are many reasons to leave, quality of life, better schools, better places to raise a family.

At some point it got too hard to justify, even making north of the median income in the bay area, to stay here. Now with all the new laws going into effect, the new per-milage tax scheme that will tack on to the already increased gas tax, its just not a smart decision.

But even then i get a bit nervous to leave. Then i keep talking to my friends (I know 3 who have moved to Idaho, 2 to Colorado, 1 to Kansas and 2 to Texas) and whats the common theme regardless of their politics? They don't miss California ... like in the slightest.

I can't wait.
-- I love the mythological significance given to Dum Dum Bullets. As if they're little tactical nukes, stacked up in "Assault Clips" ready to be "sprayfired" "from the hip" by pistol grip equipped "bullet hoses" instead of early variations of the softpoint bullets people have been using to take game with (and use for self-defense) for the last century.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:26 AM

Note that Gavin is the owner of PlumpJack in SF. Be sure to take your dog for a walk and have him or her take a poop at the front door.