Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Question for non resident AZ permit holders

Do you carry your AZ permit along with your CA one or just the CA one till you need the AZ one?
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM

Only if you're a resident of AZ will you need to have a AZ permit. If you have your CA CCW, AZ honors that.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Your non-resident AZ CCW is just good overlap.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 PM

I carry my Utah, Texas, Arizona and California all in one wallet.
Old 09-22-2017, 7:32 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I take long distance motorcycle rides and when I do I carry 'em all (CA, AZ, UT) because I want to cover as much ground as I can... When I'm here in Commiefornia I just carry the CA one because I don't want a George Costanza wallet.

Old 09-22-2017, 7:45 PM

I travel from CA through NV, UT, WY, NE, AZ, NM, TX, OK, & KS regularly.
I have CA & AZ non-resident permits.
In CA I defer to my CA permit. Outside CA I conduct myself under AZ non-resident regulations.
So, my CA permit doesn't allow carrying during work. So I use CA standard transport laws (unloaded & locked) as long as I'm "on duty/driving (truck driver).
Outside CA it's loaded and on/by me until I get back to CA.
As for handguns, outside CA I can carry anything.
Under my current circumstances, this is why I'm against National reciprocity. But that is for a different thread.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 PM

i carry CA / AZ / NV / FL at all times - that way I don't have to worry about losing or forgetting to bring it when I travel. Like the rest of my carry gear - I want consistency so that in an emergency everything is where expect it to be.

Steve
Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specializedjon View Post
Only if you're a resident of AZ will you need to have a AZ permit. If you have your CA CCW, AZ honors that.
Quote:
Your non-resident AZ CCW is just good overlap.
AZ gives you the ability to carry in a lot more states than CA does. AZ itself does not require a permit to carry (either CC or OC) in the state of AZ, but they have reciprocity with a large number of states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdjxklusivex View Post
Do you carry your AZ permit along with your CA one or just the CA one till you need the AZ one?
For better or worse, I do.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 09-23-2017, 12:22 AM

I have them both (my calif and Ariz) in my wallet at all times. I can be in NV, AZ and cal with my two feet and one hand on each boarder.
Old 09-23-2017, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

I only carry my State permits that will be applicable to my trip.

No more, no less...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 09-23-2017, 8:13 AM

I carry them all, always. Good thing I have a huge wallet.
Old 09-24-2017, 6:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
I travel from CA through NV, UT, WY, NE, AZ, NM, TX, OK, & KS regularly.
I have CA & AZ non-resident permits.
In CA I defer to my CA permit. Outside CA I conduct myself under AZ non-resident regulations.
So, my CA permit doesn't allow carrying during work. So I use CA standard transport laws (unloaded & locked) as long as I'm "on duty/driving (truck driver).
Outside CA it's loaded and on/by me until I get back to CA.
As for handguns, outside CA I can carry anything.
Under my current circumstances, this is why I'm against National reciprocity. But that is for a different thread.

What county put that restriction on you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 09-24-2017, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
What county put that restriction on you?
Issued by Modesto PD, in Stanislaus Co.

Old 09-24-2017, 7:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Issued by Modesto PD, in Stanislaus Co.

Well that sucks. San Bernardino doesn't mind if you carry at work so long as you don't carry FOR work.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote:

Old 09-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well that sucks. San Bernardino doesn't mind if you carry at work so long as you don't carry FOR work.

Mine is the same way, can't carry at work. Ventura County SD. They want a letter from your employer saying that carry at work is good to go.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 09-24-2017, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Mine is the same way, can't carry at work. Ventura County SD. They want a letter from your employer saying that carry at work is good to go.
In San Bernardino the letter they sent my company asked if the permit was needed for continued employment. Had the company answered yes I would not have gotten a permit. But since they answered no I got the permit and the Sheriff didn't put any restrictions on carrying at work.

Quote:

Old 09-24-2017, 4:11 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
In San Bernardino the letter they sent my company asked if the permit was needed for continued employment. Had the company answered yes I would not have gotten a permit. But since they answered no I got the permit and the Sheriff didn't put any restrictions on carrying at work.

Wow. They send a letter to your company telling them you are applying for a CCW? Not sure I understand why, had your company said yes, you would have been denied. I thought SBDO took Self Defense as GC...

Old 09-24-2017, 5:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Wow. They send a letter to your company telling them you are applying for a CCW? Not sure I understand why, had your company said yes, you would have been denied. I thought SBDO took Self Defense as GC...
They do take SD as GC. They just don't want you working with it. You know, PI work or any work that might have you carrying a gun FOR WORK.

Which is why it's OK to carry AT work so long as you're NOT using it FOR work.

I told my boss that I was applying for my CCW and that he would be getting a letter in the mail asking about proof of employment and other stuff. He said no problem.

Quote:

Last edited by morrcarr67; 09-25-2017 at 6:46 PM..
Old 09-24-2017, 5:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
IIRC CA CCW is not valid in Arizona School Zones. Only AZ is good in AZ School Zones.

To answer OP question I carry CA, AZ, NV and Or in my wallet all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 09-24-2017, 8:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
IIRC CA CCW is not valid in Arizona School Zones. Only AZ is good in AZ School Zones.

To answer OP question I carry CA, AZ, NV and Or in my wallet all the time.
As far as I know that is true in every state. To avoid the no gun school zone you need a permit from the state you're in.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Quote:

Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 PM

Again...the if you're a RESIDENT of ARIZONA....you need a AZ license to carry concealed. Of course you can OC if you want. It's an OC state. I agree with everyone....carry all of 'em. Overlap is good. Assume NOTHING.
Old 09-25-2017, 1:22 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Again...the if you're a RESIDENT of ARIZONA....you need a AZ license to carry concealed. Of course you can OC if you want. It's an OC state. I agree with everyone....carry all of 'em. Overlap is good. Assume NOTHING.
No, you don't. Stop spreading false information.

AZ is a Constitutional Carry state meaning that anyone who can legally posses a firearm capable of being concealed upon their person can carry that weapon concealed. Period. NO ONE needs an AZ CCW license to CC in AZ. Additionally ANYONE can OC in AZ, if they can legally own the gun they wish to OC.

If you want to carry in a school zone in AZ, you need to have an AZ CCW, regardless of whether you are an AZ resident or not. If you as a CA resident want to carry in on of the other states that has reciprocity with AZ, you can get an AZ CCW and carry in those states.

Last edited by baggss; 09-25-2017 at 1:26 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 6:04 AM

Quote:
No, you don't. Stop spreading false information.

AZ is a Constitutional Carry state meaning that anyone who can legally posses a firearm capable of being concealed upon their person can carry that weapon concealed. Period. NO ONE needs an AZ CCW license to CC in AZ.
Weird. I wonder why the Arizona Department of Public Safety has an entire set of webpages devoted to the CCW permit process

https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp
Old 09-26-2017, 6:22 AM

I just emailed AZ DPS for clarification. I've heard that if you're a resident....key word...RESIDENT of Arizona you in fact do need a license to CC, but you can OC without one.

This is a DISCUSSION...not me "spreading false information". Let's discuss and find out the correct answer.
Old 09-26-2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
I just emailed AZ DPS for clarification. I've heard that if you're a resident....key word...RESIDENT of Arizona you in fact do need a license to CC, but you can OC without one.

This is a DISCUSSION...not me "spreading false information". Let's discuss and find out the correct answer.
The link to the DPS website I posted immediately above your post proves that point. Resident, or non-resident US Citizen, you need a permit to CCW in Arizona. Their state law does make it clear that they are a "Shall Issue" state as well, not a "Constitutional Carry" state.

Quote:
13-3112. Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability

A. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to a person who is qualified under this section.
Old 09-26-2017, 7:50 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

You are both wrong for the reasons I previously stated. The existence of permits in AZ doesn't mean they are required. Do some basic research before you post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Arizona

Quote:
In Arizona, a person over age 21 may legally carry a concealed firearm or deadly weapon without a permit within the state, except for certain prohibited locations, and must disclose the fact to a law enforcement officer if questioned. Although no longer required, a shall-issue CCW permit is still available and has certain advantages, including reciprocity with many other states having CCW laws
Also see AZ SB 1108 passed in 2010, specifically section 13-3102 A2. Read what makes it a crime to carry a concealed firearm in AZ and note that the absence of a permit is not one of those things.

Quote:
We already know what the correct answer is. The law in AZ changed in 2010. A permit is not required by any resident or non-resident US citizen 21 years or older to CCW. Your "I heard" is you spreading false information based on what appears at this point to be willfull ignorance.

Last edited by baggss; 09-26-2017 at 8:03 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 8:16 AM

Still weird that they go to all the bother of having a CCW permit program since they are not required.
Old 09-26-2017, 8:18 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologist View Post
Still weird that they go to all the bother of having a CCW permit program since they are not required.
There are benefits to having one and it's clearly a money maker for the state. Lots of CA residents have them for reciprocity alone.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You are both wrong for the reasons I previously stated. The existence of permits in AZ doesn't mean they are required. Do some basic research before you post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Arizona

Also see AZ SB 1108 passed in 2010, specifically section 13-3102 A2. Read what makes it a crime to carry a concealed firearm in AZ and note that the absence of a permit is not one of those things.

We already know what the correct answer is. The law in AZ changed in 2010. A permit is not required by any resident or non-resident US citizen 21 years or older to CCW. Your "I heard" is you spreading false information based on what appears at this point to be willfull ignorance.

The response I got an hour ago from AZ DPS said "Please read ARS 13-3112"

Pretty much spells it out in the first section "A".....happy reading.

Don't be so quick to tell people how "WRONG" they are. Take a deep breath man....it's a discussion. We're not here to show each other how right we are and how wrong everyone else is. It's about learning and asking questions.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 AM

CCWMail <CCW@azdps.gov>
10:18 AM (2 hours ago)

to me
Please review ARS 13-3112

Sincerely,
Concealed Weapons Permit Unit

Carry Responsibly, Carry Informed
Old 09-26-2017, 11:38 AM

13-3112. Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability

A. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to a person who is qualified under this section. The person shall carry the permit at all times when the person is in actual possession of the concealed weapon and is required by section 4-229 or 4-244 to carry the permit. If the person is in actual possession of the concealed weapon and is required by section 4-229 or 4-244 to carry the permit, the person shall present the permit for inspection to any law enforcement officer on request.

I guess this is what you call "willful ignorance"??? Good talk.....for your future insults, make sure you spell them right. "Willful" has only ONE "L".

Last edited by Specializedjon; 09-26-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:

A. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to a person who is qualified under this section. The person shall carry the permit at all times when the person is in actual possession of the concealed weapon and is required by section 4-229 or 4-244 to carry the permit. If the person is in actual possession of the concealed weapon and is required by section 4-229 or 4-244 to carry the permit, the person shall present the permit for inspection to any law enforcement officer on request.

I guess this is what you call "willful ignorance"??? Good talk.....for your future insults, make sure you spell them right. "Willful" has only ONE "L".
Yes. 13-3112 is the code for permit holders. If you have a permit you are required to carry it and required to show it if asked. None of that means you need to have a permit to carry to begin with. You are assuming that one is required when one is not.

Go read 13-3102. It removed the requirement to posses a permit iaw 31-3112. You can even see where the language was struck from the previous law. Under 13-3102 carrying concealed without a permit is not a crime. No where does it say you must have a CCW to carry concealed.

https://www.keytlaw.com/blog/2010/07...n-law-sb-1108/

So yes, your willfull ignorance is continuing.

Last edited by baggss; 09-26-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 PM

Good luck bro....you're all over it.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Good luck bro....you're all over it.
And you are clearly clueless. A simple google search gives you the answers and points you to the relevant code. You don't want to read and choose believe that everyone else is wrong and you have stumbled upon some big deal that everyone else misunderstands.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Man....you sure are quick with the name calling. You don't know me, my background, my current job, etc. Slow your role. Keep Googling everything...that's as smart as you'll be. Learn to have a DISCUSSION. Head back to Berkeley and continue your pursuit to show everyone how "smart" you are. Go ahead...Google "Berkeley"....that's how you spell it. Conversation over.
Old 09-26-2017, 1:27 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Man....you sure are quick with the name calling. You don't know me, my background, my current job, etc. Slow your role. Keep Googling everything...that's as smart as you'll be. Learn to have a DISCUSSION. Head back to Berkeley and continue your pursuit to show everyone how "smart" you are. Go ahead...Google "Berkeley"....that's how you spell it. Conversation over.
I don't need to know you or your background. In the context of this discussion youve shown your ignorance and unwillingness to comprehend repeatedly. I pointed you at the right code you don't want to read it.

Old 09-28-2017, 9:14 AM

Unless I'm going on a trip I only carry Cal.
I have "overlap" on my belt, don't need any in my wallet.
Old 09-28-2017, 9:31 AM

Quote:

Exact wording on my permit is:
"Not to be used during course of employment."

Old 09-28-2017, 5:16 PM

I keep all (CA, NV & AZ) my permits in my wallet all the time.
Old 09-29-2017, 3:09 AM
Veteran Member

I know I don't need my AZ permit in CA, but I carry it with me all the time anyway.

I like how it smells.... smells of freedom.