Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-19-2018, 6:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default “Women are the biggest growing group of concealed carriers.

“Women are the biggest growing group of concealed carriers.“ Firearms instructor Andee Reardon is the contributor on the newest episode of Self Drfemse Gun Stories:
http://www.selfdefensegunstories.com
“If you are this terrified of your own government...then you’ve got bigger problems than just losing your guns, we all do...you’ve just described a communist regime, not the United States of America.” Skip Coryell, replying to a friend refusing to join the NRA because that friend didn’t want to end up on a government watch list, have the government know he owned guns and have them confiscated. Blood in The Streets
http://membership.nra.org/Join/Annuals
Old 03-19-2018, 6:26 AM

You sure it isn't just white women doing what their bosses, husbands or sons want?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Then they need to stop voting en masse for democrats!!!!

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 03-24-2018, 2:53 PM

Default I call bull !

Oh, bull! More women are carrying because more women are buying and owning their own guns. Women are the fastest-growing market for handguns in the nation. This is a FACT, not an opinion. And it follows logically that if more women own guns, more women will carry.

http://https://www.americanrifleman....-are-shooting/

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/201...-and-firearms/

I absolutely deny that women are purchasing guns because the men in their lives insist. IMNSHO, I think women are buying and carrying guns because they have figured out that their husbands, boyfriends, etc MAY NOT BE AROUND WHEN THE BAD GUY WALKS IN THE PATIO DOOR. Or, the husband or boyfriend may not be with them in the Walmart parking lot. I think the Walmart parking lot is one of the most dangerous places I've ever been. I've been accosted there several times, guys wanting my car keys, guys wanting my handbag, grabbing my arm. And I'm still here to tell about it. Guess why?

Many women are single mothers and they are well aware that the only thing standing between a Bad Guy and their children is that she herself. So, women buy guns, learn to shoot, and perhaps carry. And believe me a woman will DO ANYTHING to protect her kids. The Momma Bear is alive and well inside women. And we bite.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-24-2018 at 2:57 PM..
Old 03-24-2018, 3:27 PM

I must be the only woman who gets upset that the conversation about women and guns has to revolve around handguns and CCW. To hell with that noise. I am single and no man got me into guns or is pushing me to get a handgun for conceal carry. I am a long distance shooter and rifles are my passion.
Old 03-24-2018, 3:32 PM

Firefly, you're not alone. Lots of women here are riflewomen and shotgunners. But the carry discussions do tend to revolve around handguns...
Old 03-24-2018, 4:03 PM

I would love to see more ladies with CCWs. The more on side of the 2nd Amendment the better.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Oh, bull! More women are carrying because more women are buying and owning their own guns. Women are the fastest-growing market for handguns in the nation. This is a FACT, not an opinion. And it follows logically that if more women own guns, more women will carry.

http://https://www.americanrifleman....-are-shooting/

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/201...-and-firearms/

I absolutely deny that women are purchasing guns because the men in their lives insist. IMNSHO, I think women are buying and carrying guns because they have figured out that their husbands, boyfriends, etc MAY NOT BE AROUND WHEN THE BAD GUY WALKS IN THE PATIO DOOR. Or, the husband or boyfriend may not be with them in the Walmart parking lot. I think the Walmart parking lot is one of the most dangerous places I've ever been. I've been accosted there several times, guys wanting my car keys, guys wanting my handbag, grabbing my arm. And I'm still here to tell about it. Guess why?

Many women are single mothers and they are well aware that the only thing standing between a Bad Guy and their children is that she herself. So, women buy guns, learn to shoot, and perhaps carry. And believe me a woman will DO ANYTHING to protect her kids. The Momma Bear is alive and well inside women. And we bite.
Well said.

I just finished reading Dana Loesch's 2014 book "Hands Off My Gun: Defeating the Plot to Disarm America" (ISBN: 1455584339) and everything you posted above is spot on with her testimony as well.

I think this is the only post I've ever made in the "Ladies Only" forum merely because the forum lead thread title caught my eye in conjunction with having just finished reading this book earlier this week.

The quantitative brunt of it I always knew as true, but it was interesting and intriguing to hear the hows and why directly from a Mom and life-long gun owner.

It's a good read, backed by facts, statics from credible independent sources, and relates the ridiculous struggles and stereotypes about women gun owners and why they bought, own, shoot and conceal carry.

While written/released in 2014, much of the thoughts and anecdotes are still fresh for what has been going on these past two weeks with the push for Stalinism and those factions' wish to belittle or dehumanize women as feeble, helpless playthings that can't formulate a thought - or fight - for themselves.

The women in my family carry, because they grew up around guns, and wanted to, not because the men did or 'instructed' them to do so.

Bloomberg has spent the past 6 years trying to prop up women as hating guns and exclusively trying to depict their sole way of protecting their children as meaning that ALL moms are calling for an outright band on ALL guns. His Moms Demand and Eveytown tours used this schtick to the near level of misogyny. It's disgusting.

Last edited by CALI-gula; 03-25-2018 at 8:13 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 3:32 PM

I don't really think it's a matter of [white?] women doing what the men in their lives want. I think the tide has turned in the respect that women are now realizing that they truly have a need to stand for themselves and their families and are initiating gun ownership largely on their own. It's a culture shift. I and the other CalGuns women have been watching this trend over time. In my observation, the sentiment hasn't been "I am woman! Hear me roar and buy a gun!" but more of a quiet, "I need to do this to protect myself and ensure the safety of my family". It has been a very intriguing shift to observe and I don't have any hard data on exactly why women are now feeling that it's OK to be a woman gun owner.

I personally can recall a couple of times when I had to draw my weapon at home in the middle of the night when I thought I heard someone on my patio outside my bedroom's sliding glass door. It's an uncomfortable feeling to hear someone jump the fence and walk around outside of your bedroom window. I'm not married. I don't have someone to defend me. My gun is my equalizer and I know it gives me a fighting chance to defend myself if my life becomes threatened. I think that the "great equalizer" is one of the reasons that women are now starting to realize that guns are a viable self-defense weapon.
Old 03-25-2018, 4:04 PM

I can tell you all a real story on why one woman wanted her own gun. It was told to me first hand by the woman it happened to. I was in my very first handgun safety class, both men and women and we were asked "why do you want to shoot and handle a gun safely?". We went around the room and people had different reasons, of course.

One of the women was a 20 something, petite, rather shy, quiet woman. She told this story.

"One night I was sitting on the sofa watching TV with my two-year-old. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and alone in the house, because my husband, a cop, was doing a night shift. As I sat there I heard a noise and saw a great big guy dressed in black trying to jimmy my patio door, 10 feet from where I was sitting with my toddler. I knew there were guns in the house, I knew where they were. But here's the kicker: I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO LOAD OR SHOOT A GUN ! So, my husband is away, I'm pregnant with a toddler and I'm facing a home invasion and I can't SHOOT. The guy came through the patio door, so I grabbed my toddler and RAN out the front door screaming for help. And THAT's why I want to know gun safety and how to shoot".

I heard this story and my blood ran cold. I knew she was telling the truth and was still terrified. As anyone would be. And I knew that young mother would NEVER hesitate to defend her children or herself, perhaps more than her husband would.

I don't know how it got started exactly, but the fastest growing segment of gun buyers is women aged 23 to 40. Just exactly the age to be young mothers and/or working professionals doing long hours in office buildings. The kind of woman with a husband doing 80 hour weeks and gone a lot.

I strongly believe that the best candidates to support the 2d Ammendment, weirdly enough, are SOCCER MOMS. They are affluent, have something to protect, are alone with their children a lot and since they often control the household budget, have money to contribute to 2A candidates. I see no point in preaching 2A to the 'camo crowd'. They are already believers and don't need to be convinced. It's a waste of time, money and energy. But if the young mothers of America could be mobilized to protect themselves and their kids, you'd really have an effective voting block.

Others may disagree, but that's my position and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-26-2018, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
You sure it isn't just white women doing what their bosses, husbands or sons want?
Quote:
I absolutely deny that women are purchasing guns because the men in their lives insist.
I think Fastattack's comment was a jab @ HRC for giving yet another reason why she lost the election:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/21174...-emily-zanotti
Old 03-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopafly View Post
I think Fastattack's comment was a jab @ HRC for giving yet another reason why she lost the election:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/21174...-emily-zanotti
Yep. I thought it would be pretty obvious. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Then they need to stop voting en masse for democrats!!!!
I’ve never voted for a Democrat. If it’s two Dems, I leave it blank.

I get what you mean though. My mom sometimes says she wants a gun, so I tell her, donate to the NRA and I’ll help you. I don’t think she’s voted since she voted for Bill Clinton. I told her she has to start trying to make up for that.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:43 AM

OFF TOPIC ! This discussion is in the Womens Forum, about women owning their own guns. Keep your politics out of this.
Old 03-26-2018, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

No the trend has been pretty consistent over the last decade. About three years after CCW becomes legal and easy in a state, women begin to apply as the majority. There are variation in reason, but I suspect that A, all the men who were pushing to carry adopt early. Second is that as that market declines, along with message being pushed out women are shown the benefits. They are more vulnerable, yet many are very strong personalities willing to defend themselves. In So. Cal many of my female clients are single, often medical professionals, first responders, or surprisingly since they can't carry at work, teachers. Based on research this seems to be a similar trends to other states that have adopted shall issue policies. If there is a group that stands out as white CCW adopters it's seniors.

Given that I own a CCW shop, it's an area of interest to me.
Old 03-26-2018, 4:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but... lamestream media says, women LIKE being victims!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 5:31 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
OFF TOPIC ! This discussion is in the Womens Forum, about women owning their own guns. Keep your politics out of this.
worth repeating.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-26-2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
No the trend has been pretty consistent over the last decade. About three years after CCW becomes legal and easy in a state, women begin to apply as the majority. There are variation in reason, but I suspect that A, all the men who were pushing to carry adopt early. Second is that as that market declines, along with message being pushed out women are shown the benefits. They are more vulnerable, yet many are very strong personalities willing to defend themselves. In So. Cal many of my female clients are single, often medical professionals, first responders, or surprisingly since they can't carry at work, teachers. Based on research this seems to be a similar trends to other states that have adopted shall issue policies. If there is a group that stands out as white CCW adopters it's seniors.

Read post #12. I'm joking.

Old 03-26-2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Yep. I thought it would be pretty obvious. Thanks for clarifying.
I don't listen to that woman. So, no, it wasn't obvious to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2

Great observations. Thank you for sharing that. It's interesting to hear about the kinds of customers that you see because those are the ones going out of their way to become educated purchasers of CCW products.
Old 03-26-2018, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
After all that has arisen lately, how is "about women owning their own guns" NOT a political concern for you, as there are political lobbying groups trying to disarm you while using women as their crusaders to do it? (i.e., Mayor Bloomberg with Moms Demand a Plan).

The very title of this thread stands as opposition to what the media and Anti-2nd Amendment groups are trying to claim is not the case.

The women in my family who carry (not in CA) are absolutely livid over the propaganda, and the topic of this thread for them cannot go without the discussion of those politics and exposing the politicians that are trying to disarm them.

It's disgusting chauvinism, gender belittling, to the point of supporting a rape-culture, combined with those politics when such politicians seek to prevent women from carrying concealed.

Old 03-27-2018, 2:34 AM

Caligula, if you would like to start a thread on the politics of ccw, you should start a NEW thread. And please do. THIS thread is about the growing number of women gun owners and women carrying.

Let's keep the conversation focused on the OP's original post, how women are the fastest growing segment in the gun ownership and carrying arena.

And WOW, isn't it interesting, what GrantAR said, that SENIORS being prominent new CCW holders. He should know, since CCW is his business. And, since I happen to be a white female senior, I thought that was wonderful.

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-27-2018 at 2:37 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 7:33 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

agree with Bonnie.

OT types of threads just don't make it in the LF and which was set up by Mr K to make sure it didn't just become another OT type forum.

moving into political territory merits a separate thread.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-27-2018, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Caligula, if you would like to start a thread on the politics of ccw, you should start a NEW thread. And please do. THIS thread is about the growing number of women gun owners and women carrying.

Let's keep the conversation focused on the OP's original post, how women are the fastest growing segment in the gun ownership and carrying arena.

And WOW, isn't it interesting, what GrantAR said, that SENIORS being prominent new CCW holders. He should know, since CCW is his business. And, since I happen to be a white female senior, I thought that was wonderful.
Understood. My point was on the politics of women and CCW and how it can affect their choices or inability to carry, not just CCW in general, but I get it.

Last edited by CALI-gula; 03-27-2018 at 8:11 PM..
Old 03-28-2018, 5:00 AM

I also believe this trend is being helped because dads are also taking their daughters shooting more than ever before.

On a recent trip to my LGR I met a student of mine with her father. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that she was very competent with handguns. Her dad joked with me that she shot more accurately than he did. His daughter had been shooting since she was 10 and she is now 16. She drags him to the range twice a month (his words).

Last weekend when I went shooting, I saw a couple more daughters shooting with their dads. One daughter was about 8 and having a great time. Another group included a mom and her young adult daughters having a range day.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian