Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 AM

Question Want to Volunteer

Hello again to CALGUN LEO's,

Like I said in another recent post, I'm a new California resident. As an Eagle Scout and veteran I have an affinity for doing more to help out than just spending a couple hours in a soup kitchen.

I'd like to volunteer for a civil service as either a firefighter or reserve deputy. I don't really have a preference since it's not going to be a profession but I'm having a heck of a hard time deciphering the various municipality's fire department volunteer program. However I recently checked out the SB County Sheriff's Dept website and boy oh boy is it 10X better.

When reading the requirements for "Reserve Deputy Sheriff Volunteer" it says that volunteers must "Possess a Basic, level I or Level II POST certificate". Googled it real quick and I now know what POST stands for but as an outsider I'm having a hard time figuring out if I can even take the time to do it. See I work full time and have a wife and 2 kids to support so taking time off to go to some Boot Camp style police academy for a few months just isn't an option.

So finally to my questions.

Is there training available for aspiring volunteers that doesn't require them to drop everything while they attend a full time academy?

I have a DUI conviction from 2011 when I was still active duty. I won't try to lawyer my way around it. I drank, I drove, I got caught. I understand from some of the stuff I've been reading that whether or not that would be a disqualifier is a huge "It depends". I get that and I'm not looking for any concrete answers because quite frankly, I don't think one exists. I suppose my question is, should I even bother? To me it seems like it's been over and done with for awhile and behind me but a little under 3 years also seems to not be that long in the eyes of the LE/legal world. Any and all responses are welcome.

As I said before, thanks and sorry for rambling.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 AM

I retract my first question. I found the information for the reserve training program on the same website I just said was so great.

My second question about the DUI still stands though.
Old 05-05-2014, 6:30 AM

First of all, thank you for your service. On question 1, level I academys are available, but you go to class at least 1 time during the week in the evenings and every saturday for the whole day. This process takes at least 9 months. It requires a lot of time. The level two is half the time so it still requires alot dedication.

The DUI will probably be a problem. It is too soon since you received the dui. Most departments want you to have 5 or 7 years since any major past issues. I would recommend that you contact the background unit of the department you are interested in and talk to them informerly about your past and see what they tell you.
Old 05-05-2014, 8:05 AM

First of all, thank you for your service. Second, as a former background investigator, I can tell you that a misdemeanor DUI is not a deal breaker for most departments.

Most investigators look at the whole picture before making their recommendation whether or not an applicant should be hired. I used to look for individuals that demonstrated the attributes needed to be a peace officer (honesty, integrity, impartiality, the ability to recall information, dependability, responsibility for one's own actions and even temperament).

If I were you, I would contact the agency or agencies you're interested in and ask them about their hiring standards. Good luck.

Stay safe.