Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Nevada County (CA)

(deleted link to out-of-date info.)

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by Paladin; 09-03-2015 at 7:51 PM..
Old 11-07-2010, 8:45 AM

Are there any updates on the Nevada County CCW policy?
Old 11-18-2010, 3:21 PM

Well the latest update on the policy is 2004. Also, nowhere in the policy says anything about where to apply if you live in a city with PD within the county.

Here is my experience some three years ago. My residence is in a City with our own PD. When I sent inquiry to the sheriff, I was told to apply to the PD.

So Truckee PD I went. PD policy requires that my application must include firearms competency certificate from the list noted in the policy even before my good cause was considered.

The fees noted I believe was still the same when I renewed.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
So Truckee PD I went. PD policy requires that my application must include firearms competency certificate from the list noted in the policy even before my good cause was considered.

The fees noted I believe was still the same when I renewed.
Interesting. As a long-time Truckee resident and concerned citizen, I think I'll send a politely worded letter to our police chief (cc to the town attorney) and respectfully request that he bring his CCW policy into compliance with state law. Stay tuned...

Old 12-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGuy View Post
Interesting. As a long-time Truckee resident and concerned citizen, I think I'll send a politely worded letter to our police chief (cc to the town attorney) and respectfully request that he bring his CCW policy into compliance with state law. Stay tuned...
WoW, I'm astounded. I sent my letter to the police chief and town attorney about a month ago, and when I visit Truckee's CCW policy page now.... it says:

Quote:
The procedure for obtaining a CCW or renewing a CCW is currently being updated.
I don't know if my letter was the reason for the update or not. I provided my phone/E-mail in the letter and invited them to contact me for assistance or more info if needed, but no one called. We'll have to see what they end up with.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Sound like they are listening, I hope it does not end up making it harder to apply and renew.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Another fine example of someone taking action. I hope that you experience a positive outcome. Perhaps the right people have a pre-formatted sample policy that they can provide.

Old 12-24-2010, 3:46 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Another fine example of someone taking action. I hope that you experience a positive outcome. Perhaps the right people have a pre-formatted sample policy that they can provide.
Thanks, but like Python says, I hope I don't end up making things worse. Other than requiring the training up front and maybe charging a buck or two over the allowed maximum, their policy looked pretty danged good. No requirement for reference letters or the other silly and illegal stuff that some other LEAs have.

We'll have to wait and see. If it ends up worse, ya'll know who to blame.

P.S. - Having a pre-formatted sample policy is a good idea.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:

We'll have to wait and see. If it ends up worse, ya'll know who to blame.

I hope not, dont know if you are aware when the current chief came on board, he started denying renewals. The community went balistic and started letter writing up the ladder. The result, he backed down and renewed the once he apparently denied.
Old 12-27-2010, 1:30 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
I hope not, dont know if you are aware when the current chief came on board, he started denying renewals. The community went balistic and started letter writing up the ladder. The result, he backed down and renewed the once he apparently denied.
I didn't know that. Has he been approving new applications?

Old 12-27-2010, 2:18 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that. Has he been approving new applications?
Did'nt know about new applicants, I just heard the story from Dennis Cook, CCW instructor located in Truckee when I took my renewal course. It made me wonder if I was going to have the same problem, apparently not.
Old 12-27-2010, 2:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just an FYI, we do have some sample language if it can be of use. Email me directly for it since it's something we'd prefer to keep offline for now.

There are rumors that many LEAs will be moving to Lexipol in the coming year as some sort of risk management strategy. Unfortunately, that may end up becoming more painful for them. We intend to make it very much a central theme of our CGF booth at the California Police Chief's Association 2011 conference.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-27-2010, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post

There are rumors that many LEAs will be moving to Lexipol in the coming year as some sort of risk management strategy. Unfortunately, that may end up becoming more painful for them.
"Not Following the Law Should be Painful"

-Gray
Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
There are rumors that many LEAs will be moving to Lexipol in the coming year as some sort of risk management strategy. Unfortunately, that may end up becoming more painful for them. We intend to make it very much a central theme of our CGF booth at the California Police Chief's Association 2011 conference.
For some reason, your statement made me think of this video and come up w/a statement you may use for a CGF banner for your booth: "How Not to Get Your Agency Sued by the Calguns Foundation." (I can't figure out how to get "CCW" into that w/o throwing off the wording.)

Last edited by Paladin; 12-28-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Old 01-15-2011, 7:51 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars

Quote:
So... I just received a nice E-mail from our Chief of Police. He said that he has asked his staff to "review the recommendations and make adjustments accordingly". He seems to be genuinely appreciative of my bringing this to his attention:

Quote:
I greatly appreciate your demonstrated partnership in things that matter to this community by bringing concerns directly to my attention.

Very best regards and wishes for a great 2011.
We still don't know what the final outcome will be, but I'm now much more hopeful that the result will be positive. Honey might be proven preferable yet again.

Old 01-31-2011, 6:19 PM

As far as ease of issuance in Nevada County...I had a 21 year old co-worker get his CCW from NCSO last week. Good cause was not terribly in depth. The process was done in less than 6-8 weeks if memory serves. He said all of the staff at NCSO were great to deal with and he had no hassles. Chalk one up for the good guys. :-)
Old 07-08-2011, 3:44 AM

I got my CCW in Nevada County, pretty solid good cause statement. I know of 3 other guys who recieved theirs on what I would describe as pretty slim good cause statements. I think things are looking up in Nevada County. I am encouraging many others to give it a try. We will be getting a new Undersheriff (Undersheriff is who I had my interview with) in October but I think the policies will stay the same.
Old 08-30-2011, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So... I just received a nice E-mail from our Chief of Police. He said that he has asked his staff to "review the recommendations and make adjustments accordingly". He seems to be genuinely appreciative of my bringing this to his attention:.
Truckee's CCW policy still shows as "currently being updated"

I wonder what they approve as "completed a course of training", not to mention "Good cause".
Old 09-19-2011, 3:56 PM

Any info on the Nevada City PD and good cause?

I live in the city limits and the NCSO sent me to the city PD for the application. Standard application, but I haven't seen anything directly relating to the NCPD and CCW.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Truckee's CCW policy still shows as "currently being updated"

I wonder what they approve as "completed a course of training", not to mention "Good cause".
Use any of the Nevada County listed instructor and you should be fine. There are quite a few of them on the list. If you read the Nevada County CCW policy, it should give you an idea what is acceptable good cause to them. Hint: Professional and/or in business.

When I renewed a month ago it still show "CCW currently being updated" I suspect it has something to do with the requirement of submitting a certificate (completed course of training) with the application even before you are approved. It should be after approval if the State guideline is to be followed.
Old 09-21-2011, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You-Two View Post
Any info on the Nevada City PD and good cause?

I live in the city limits and the NCSO sent me to the city PD for the application. Standard application, but I haven't seen anything directly relating to the NCPD and CCW.

Thanks!
Check NCPD website for their policy and application. Truckee PD have their own and I suspect NCPD does too. If none then it means use NCSO form. The policy in NCSO is pretty much the same as Truckee PD. NCPD could be the same.
Old 10-05-2011, 1:19 PM

Quote:
CapS's post was moved to San Mateo thread. -Crom
Umnn.....I believe you are in the wrong thread. SM Sheriff is San Mateo County is it not? ....and yes that is the policy of SM Sheriff six years ago and I suspect still remain the same. Anyone please confirm.

Last edited by Crom; 10-05-2011 at 3:08 PM.. Reason: Removed quote to eliminate confustion; CapS's post moved to San Mateo
Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Any updates on when GC statements will be posted for Nevada County?
Old 12-12-2011, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha415 View Post
Any updates on when GC statements will be posted for Nevada County?
Read their CCW issuance policy and it will give you an idea of acceptable GC statement to them.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM

On page three of nevada county ccw application under the Weapons paragraph states that firearms on the permit "weapons must also appear on the "Not Unsafe Gun" list produced by the CA DOJ as a result of the Safe Gun Act of 2001"
Has anyone been able to put firearms on their permit that are not on the list?
That being said if your firearm falls off the roaster after you add it to your permit are you now in violation of the terms and conditions of your permit?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM

anybody?
Old 09-21-2013, 9:30 PM

Anyone got an LTC in Nevada County lately? Might be moving up there from Placer at the end of the year.
It is so nice to drop mags freely even though I do that now with my featureless AR and AK it is not the same as the real thing. Like Coca Cola here in the US compared to Mexico with real sugar not corn syrup!
Old 12-06-2013, 4:56 PM

Any new news on Nevada County?
Old 12-10-2013, 3:50 PM

I got mine 2 years ago from the Sheriff. Let's just say that in my "interview" they were very pro CCW to say the least. The interview was more of a series of scenarios in which a CCW comes in handy, and some expectations regarding concealment. 2 of my friends got theirs at the same time, and all of our good cause statements were not questioned at all. I have to renew next month, and will update if anything changes.
Old 12-11-2013, 9:53 AM

Thank you!
Old 01-24-2014, 7:46 AM

I just renewed mine this week. I put down, "personal protection, business travel throughout the state, and personal business involving sums of cash" as my justification. I don't think they even looked at it.

Granted, this was a renewal. My original application had the same basic points, but just expanded a little bit.

Very helpful front counter staff, and generally a great experience.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:41 PM

Thanks for the update!
Old 02-21-2014, 6:57 PM

Well, after submitting my application to the Nevada City PD in September '13, I finally got a solid answer concerning their CCW policy as of now:

Go through the NC Sheriff for the CCW.

The delay for me was mainly caused by the revolving door for Chief of Police since September (on the 3rd guy and hopefully last for a while), and not setting a straight forward policy. So basically, I wasted 6 months, plus whatever extra from now it takes me with the Sheriff's office. The bright side is that at least the Sheriff has an established history issuing permits. Nevada City proper is so small I don't think many people had tested the old Chief's policy (or lack of). The Sheriff's office had sent me to the NCPD a while back and said they wanted to issue permits to city residents.

This info was told to me directly by the Sgt in the office at NCPD.
Old 02-21-2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You-Two View Post
Well, after submitting my application to the Nevada City PD in September '13, I finally got a solid answer concerning their CCW policy as of now:

Go through the NC Sheriff for the CCW.

The delay for me was mainly caused by the revolving door for Chief of Police since September (on the 3rd guy and hopefully last for a while), and not setting a straight forward policy. So basically, I wasted 6 months, plus whatever extra from now it takes me with the Sheriff's office. The bright side is that at least the Sheriff has an established history issuing permits. Nevada City proper is so small I don't think many people had tested the old Chief's policy (or lack of). The Sheriff's office had sent me to the NCPD a while back and said they wanted to issue permits to city residents.

This info was told to me directly by the Sgt in the office at NCPD.
Unfortunately I think you'll still need to be patient as while NCSO are great to deal with, they seem to be way backlogged with applications. I filed my app with NCSO in September and I'm still waiting for the initial interview...
Old 02-21-2014, 7:44 PM

Not exactly what I wanted to hear...but that is life!
Old 02-25-2014, 9:15 PM

Moving to Grass Valley from Auburn (From Placer County to Nevada County) on March 1st.

I currently don't have an LTC, but the decision in Peruta and the more firearm friendly NCSO have me hopeful.

Any tips for getting an LTC in Nevada County?
It is so nice to drop mags freely even though I do that now with my featureless AR and AK it is not the same as the real thing. Like Coca Cola here in the US compared to Mexico with real sugar not corn syrup!
Old 03-03-2014, 9:19 PM

I called them today to check on my status (dec 3rd application). They told me they are still chugging through the September applications.
Old 05-05-2014, 1:27 PM

Any new news on Nevada County?
Old 05-05-2014, 1:43 PM

No change that I'm aware of, expect around six months from receipt of application to interview, then maybe another month while they process paperwork and wait for DoJ results. With your Dec 3 filing date you'll be a couple of months out at this point, but they will get to you.
Old 05-05-2014, 4:34 PM

I'm going to pull my app soon. Just got approved for early retirement from the Air Force and picked up a new job in Idaho. Sad to leave this beautiful small town, but loving the idea of less restrictions!

Good luck to those waiting for approval...