Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-06-2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper949 View Post
Hi Folks -

First I would like to thank all of you for your posts about this process and updates on timeline. The many words of encouragement here have finally convinced this law-abiding, responsible, average joe gun-owner to move forward on obtaining my CCW in Orange County.

So:

3/5/17 online request sent
3/6/17 email confirmation of interview set for 10/27/17

Looks like similar to 3gman and MFW, I'm in it for at least a 12-month process. May the good Lord give me the patience and wisdom to fight for my constitutional rights and make it through the process!!!
If you don't mind spending the money early you can do your live Scan before you go to your initial interview which can cut your process down to about 8 months.

I recommend doing the live Scan 4 months before your initial interview.
Old 03-07-2017, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperguns View Post
If you don't mind spending the money early you can do your live Scan before you go to your initial interview which can cut your process down to about 8 months.

I recommend doing the live Scan 4 months before your initial interview.

Great, thanks for advice. Given how long live scan appears to be taking, I think its worth spending the money.
Old 03-07-2017, 9:03 PM

I have my Riverside CCW, How is it on this County? Lenient?
Old 03-07-2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznitch15 View Post
It should be good for all counties and all areas within the state except where prohibited by law. Does it have some kind of restriction to Riverside County?

Oh, and you can only get one in the county of which you reside.
Old 03-08-2017, 1:40 PM

Does anyone know how long after you send it your training cert will OCSD email you confirming pick up date?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL949 View Post
Does anyone know how long after you send it your training cert will OCSD email you confirming pick up date?

Thanks
It just depends on how many people are ahead of you. And they seem to prioritize current CCW holders who are expiring or have expired.

I sent in my training cert shortly after my renewal application and I still had to wait 4 months, and my permit ultimately expired. I checked status 30 days before my expiration and they said that I still had people ahead of me. I waited 11 days with an expired permit before getting renewed.

My advice is, if you're confident that your good cause is strong, good ahead with your training, live scan, etc. Give them everything they need, and verify receipt. That way you don't lose any time running around completing all the steps. That's the fastest way to get it done.

Be advised though, should you get denied for any reason, you'll be out the training costs etc. Even though, training is worth every penny either way.
Old 03-08-2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks
My initial permit was issued 2 weeks after I sent in my training certificate.
Old 03-08-2017, 6:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznitch15 View Post
Not sure what you're asking.
Old 03-08-2017, 8:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenal7 View Post
It just depends on how many people are ahead of you. And they seem to prioritize current CCW holders who are expiring or have expired.

I sent in my training cert shortly after my renewal application and I still had to wait 4 months, and my permit ultimately expired. I checked status 30 days before my expiration and they said that I still had people ahead of me. I waited 11 days with an expired permit before getting renewed.

My advice is, if you're confident that your good cause is strong, good ahead with your training, live scan, etc. Give them everything they need, and verify receipt. That way you don't lose any time running around completing all the steps. That's the fastest way to get it done.

Be advised though, should you get denied for any reason, you'll be out the training costs etc. Even though, training is worth every penny either way.
I'm done with live scan and I got an email to go ahead with training and so I did that and sent them the training cert. and verified they received it, so hopefully I hear from them soon.
thankss

Last edited by LL949; 03-08-2017 at 8:43 PM.. Reason: fixed
Old 03-08-2017, 9:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Thanks
I'd ping them after two weeks.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I'd ping them after two weeks.
They're fairly fast right now. Here's my timeline.

2/2/16: online submission
2/3/16: 6/17/16 appt
6/10/16: request to resched
6/13/16: new appt 10/13/16
8/19/16: new appt 11/29/16
11/29/16: initial interview
11/29/16: livescan
1/19/17: sheriff check at home
2/11/17: informed of move
2/14/17: residency check
2/22/17 - conditionally approved
2/28/17: sent certificate of completion
3/1/17: verified receipt of certificate
3/9/17: pick up license 3/20/17

I'm ecstatic with the process and the wait wasn't a big deal for me.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Man604 View Post
They're fairly fast right now. Here's my timeline.

2/2/16: online submission
2/3/16: 6/17/16 appt
6/10/16: request to resched
6/13/16: new appt 10/13/16
8/19/16: new appt 11/29/16
11/29/16: initial interview
11/29/16: livescan
1/19/17: sheriff check at home
2/11/17: informed of move
2/14/17: residency check
2/22/17 - conditionally approved
2/28/17: sent certificate of completion
3/1/17: verified receipt of certificate
3/9/17: pick up license 3/20/17

I'm ecstatic with the process and the wait wasn't a big deal for me.
Congrats! Im still confused as to whats going on with my process.

9/29/16 initial interview
10/3/16 live scan
10/5/16 residence check

1/26/17 followed up with investigator about status, was told he will submitt my pacakge for final review the following day.
3/2/17 followed up again with both investigator and ccw unit email, both repkied my pacakge was in final review.

Whats the delay? Just curious because applicants have come after me and were already approved. I figured if they were going to deny me, it would have happened by this time. Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoMan View Post
Congrats! Im still confused as to whats going on with my process.

9/29/16 initial interview
10/3/16 live scan
10/5/16 residence check

1/26/17 followed up with investigator about status, was told he will submitt my pacakge for final review the following day.
3/2/17 followed up again with both investigator and ccw unit email, both repkied my pacakge was in final review.

Whats the delay? Just curious because applicants have come after me and were already approved. I figured if they were going to deny me, it would have happened by this time. Any thoughts?
Be patient. You still have a few months of waiting. From my understanding there are more applicants requesting this privilege (or constitutional right for some) and the process just takes longer. They have to be thorough in this process. Keep in mind what state you live in! It could be so much worse. We could be living in LA Co.!
Old 03-09-2017, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGoSlw View Post
Be patient. You still have a few months of waiting. From my understanding there are more applicants requesting this privilege (or constitutional right for some) and the process just takes longer. They have to be thorough in this process. Keep in mind what state you live in! It could be so much worse. We could be living in LA Co.!

Haha true, thanks for the input. I appreciate it!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoMan View Post
Haha true, thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

Patience is key. You'll get there. It took awhile for my pick up date too. My advice is to check all email boxes (spam). My pick up email went to my spam folder and I missed my initial pick up appointment.
Old 03-10-2017, 6:34 AM

Default My OC CCW Experience

I thought I would share my timetable to give some people hope. I had heard that if you had your 1st appointment that you most likely would get bumped up to a newer date. I did not find that to be true in my case, so I took a little more aggressive approach.
  • September 2016 made my initial appointment online, was given a date in February 2017
  • November 8 fulfilled my CCW training and live scan, I was completely confident I would get my permit
  • November 14, 2016 I called CCW office in OC and asked if anyone had a cancellation, the timing was perfect, the person on the phone told me someone had just canceled for the next day and if I could come in at 8 AM.
  • November 15, 2016 I had my 1st interview
  • January 26, 2017 my life scan was back at the OC Sheriff's office
  • February 7, 2017 my file was signed off for my permit
  • and then here's where it kind of went wild, the CCW office had issues with sending out emails to make appointments for people's final interview
  • March 9, 2017 I called the CCW office to get a status on my file, they told me the dates that I put into this timeline and apologize for not getting out an appointment to me, In fact the lady indicated that I had missed my appointment, but not just me quite a few other people and they were backlogged with rescheduling people
  • then the kind lady told me that it will take up to two weeks for them to schedule my appointment She said my permit is already done and I just have to come in and pick it up but I can't do that until they give me that appointment
Old 03-14-2017, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom355 View Post
  • November 8 fulfilled my CCW training and live scan, I was completely confident I would get my permit
  • January 26, 2017 my life scan was back at the OC Sheriff's office
  • February 7, 2017 my file was signed off for my permit
This is encouraging. Only 11 weeks for livescan! I'd been hearing anything from 16 weeks to 5 or 6 months!

bg
Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM

Just received my conditional approval! Thanks everyone for the feedback and telling me to stay patient!

5/27/16 request for appointment
9/29/16 initial interview, followed by live scan and residence check a few days later.
3/15/17 conditional approval

Now I need to take the CCW course ��
Old 03-15-2017, 3:09 PM

Updated timeline.

Timeline:
Renewal application sent via email: 2/7/17
Email stating good cause wasn't sufficient: 2/20/17
Emailed updated good cause: 3/7/17
Received emailed stating my file was submitted for review: 3/13/17
Received conditional approval: 3/15/17

Huge shout out to Grantar for helping me with my good cause.
Old 03-16-2017, 2:30 AM

i agree getting your training speeds up the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$ View Post
this will do it. don't wait to hear back just get your training and send it in.
Old 03-16-2017, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
Updated timeline.

Timeline:

Huge shout out to Grantar for helping me with my good cause

He's a good guy.
Old 03-18-2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siglo4 View Post
Posted January 8, 2017: I moved to SoCal from Seattle in May 2015. In WA state, the process by law takes no more than 30 days. I have had a concealed carry license for nearly 30 years. WA state is "Shall Issue". In the (optional) reason box on the application, I put "Because". I had no idea that the process here was so ****ed.

I requested an interview in April. In July, I was told my interview was November 3. Ridiculous!

November 3, I was told my application would likely be denied because my good cause basically only included self defense reasons. The interviewer told me OC was now requiring demonstrable threats or regular (provable) needs to carry large sums of money. I asked him if the 20+ people in the waiting room were all business people who regularly carry large sums of money and he said he doubted it and a lot of them would be refused too. He said I could put my application in and hope his sergeant would approve it, but he advised me NOT to get the livescan because if it was denied, then I would have a denial on my record and that would mean I would likely never get a permit. I told him to please put it through and let's see what happens. I was so pissed! I couldn't believe that I have carried for 30 years and now CA was going to deny me my Constitutional right.

Well, a few days ago, I got my conditional approval letter telling me to go get my livescan!!
March 15 I got my conditional approval saying go get my training!

Anyone know how long I can go before getting my training? It may be May before I can get it because of business travel. Is there a deadline where you have to start all over again? I don't want to screw this all up by waiting too long. Realistically, I could get my training done before I leave town, but it would be incredibly difficult to set aside the required time and mindset. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-18-2017, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Anyone know how long I can go before getting my training? It may be May before I can get it because of business travel. Is there a deadline where you have to start all over again? I don't want to screw this all up by waiting too long. Realistically, I could get my training done before I leave town, but it would be incredibly difficult to set aside the required time and mindset. Thanks for any help!
You are obviously doing things all wrong.
In Kalifornia you are supposed to cowtow to the liberal wackos and beg for approval.
Now you have upset the applecart and nobody will know what to do. ....

Nice work. ..
Old 03-18-2017, 5:43 PM

Yeah, I was hesitant to get my LiveScan based on what the sheriff told me, then I was hesitant to get my training in advance. Now, life is getting in the way.

I like Washington: you ask for it and they HAVE to give it to you within 30 days (unless you are a felon, etc.). I like the idea of some training being required, but nearly a year to be able to exercise a Constitutional right? WTF?!!?
Old 03-18-2017, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I was hesitant to get my LiveScan based on what the sheriff told me, then I was hesitant to get my training in advance. Now, life is getting in the way.

I like Washington: you ask for it and they HAVE to give it to you within 30 days (unless you are a felon, etc.). I like the idea of some training being required, but nearly a year to be able to exercise a Constitutional right? WTF?!!?
"Is there a deadline where you have to start all over again?"

To answer your question, I don't know of a deadline, but I would talk with the OC Sheriff's office to be sure.
Good luck to you.
Old 03-18-2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:

Safeinsight.net is all online. Do the range qualifying when you get back in town - painless.

Yes, I'm biased. Mike is my oldest daughter's husband.
And he's a good guy!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

You'll be fine if you have to wait. They may ping you and ask if you're still interested or remind you. You can tell them then you're on business travel or you can send them a note ahead of time.
Old 03-19-2017, 5:34 AM

Thanks guys!

I'm trying to decide between Greg Block (quick, to the point, but almost two hour drive for me - twice), Ben Hansen (one very long day), and Safe Insight (mostly online so it's at my pace).

I actually am leaning Safe Insight. Is it all online and then how much time at the range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

Something to consider for anybody that is at the point of deciding where to get your training; be honest with yourself at this point! If you have been paying attention to the information shared by the people ahead of you it should be obvious that the training choices can be split into at least two basic categories. One type is bare bones and more of a means to get your ticket punched and get your card. At the other end of the spectrum people are getting actual training and being encouraged to do some critical thinking about the realities of carrying and the consequences of real life situations. I guess what I'm saying is don't kid yourself that you are going to take the easy way now and then get some real training later when you have more time. If you know in your heart that you need the training, get it now. We all know how life gets busy and things get pushed to the back burner and eventually forgotten about. CCW applicants are a mixed bag; some are very familiar with firearms and the harsh realities of life. Some are new to shooting of any type and have no clue about the dark side of human nature. In training you hear some disturbing things from some of the applicants. Some actually think they are going to be crime fighters, others want to discuss firing warning shots or shooting an attacker in some body part that won't cause permanent damage. Sorry if it sounds like I'm talking down to anybody but please take this decision about training seriously.
Old 03-20-2017, 6:32 AM

Bigbob76: spot on!

Just for reference: I've carried in WA state for almost 30 years and did have to pull my gun once in self defense (the mere display of the weapon ended the altercation I did not start). I have had training years ago and could always benefit from more, but right now I just want this nearly one year ordeal to be over before Sacramento on a whim decides to take away my ability to get it. Plus, I simply don't have time in the next two months for two solid days of dedicated training. Thanks for the good input.

Old 03-20-2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
Something to consider for anybody that is at the point of deciding where to get your training; be honest with yourself at this point! If you have been paying attention to the information shared by the people ahead of you it should be obvious that the training choices can be split into at least two basic categories. One type is bare bones and more of a means to get your ticket punched and get your card. At the other end of the spectrum people are getting actual training and being encouraged to do some critical thinking about the realities of carrying and the consequences of real life situations. I guess what I'm saying is don't kid yourself that you are going to take the easy way now and then get some real training later when you have more time. If you know in your heart that you need the training, get it now. We all know how life gets busy and things get pushed to the back burner and eventually forgotten about. CCW applicants are a mixed bag; some are very familiar with firearms and the harsh realities of life. Some are new to shooting of any type and have no clue about the dark side of human nature. In training you hear some disturbing things from some of the applicants. Some actually think they are going to be crime fighters, others want to discuss firing warning shots or shooting an attacker in some body part that won't cause permanent damage. Sorry if it sounds like I'm talking down to anybody but please take this decision about training seriously.
Hmmm...it sounds like you think people don't take their training seriously, and that some of the OCSD authorized programs are inadequate. Perhaps this is a discussion to have with OCSD.

The CCW training for OCSD is not designed or required to be a do-all end-all for weapons handling - it is to qualify for your permit application. And you're right that continued and ongoing training and practice are critical - but that's not what CCW training is for or about.

All training curriculums have to be presented, proven to be acceptable, and authorized through OCSD. If some form of training class was inadequate it would not be accepted and approved.

Saying someone should do this or that is fine, but regardless of which is chosen additional training and practice is always better and valuable.

We talk about CCW insurance for lawyer representation and civil liability as well, should you actually have to use your firearm. That's not part of the training exercise but generally always covered as well.

To answer Siglo4 - the classroom portion of training through SafeInsight is done online with a series of videos, slides, and summary testing, over several segments with a final test to prove you learned the material. It is designed to meet the hours of training required by OCSD.

The range qualifying portion also meets OCSD requirements - firing approximately 75 rounds from each weapon on your application, demonstrating that you can hit a target close, medium, and far, with both hands, and can clear your gun in the case of a misfire. Depending on your dexterity with your weapons, this generally takes 30-40 minutes per weapon.

Mike founded Safe Insight and does firearms training in more than 6 states and was a law enforcement officer for more than 20 years. He has trained literally thousands of people on firearms handling. He is also politically active in getting CCW training as an imperative in WA state - currently they do not require any training for a carry permit.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 AM

TimeLine:
Interview request: 03/10/16
Initial interview: 07/22/16
Live Scan: 07/25/16
Live Scan received: 12/23/16
Training: 12/27/16
Sent in training cert: 01/06/17
Conditional Approval: 01/13/17

So it has been a little over 2 months and I still haven't received a pick up date. I've called multiple times for an update and they have been very nice every time. The only answer they could give me was that I am pending a pickup date but there was a hiccup in the system and they are backlogged.
Old 03-24-2017, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys!

I'm trying to decide between Greg Block (quick, to the point, but almost two hour drive for me - twice), Ben Hansen (one very long day), and Safe Insight (mostly online so it's at my pace).

I actually am leaning Safe Insight. Is it all online and then how much time at the range?

OC Firearms Academy does a 1 day training that last about 4 hours for the classroom and then you hit the range. Super quick and easy if you're looking for the fastest and cheapest training in OC.

OC Firearms Academy
Old 03-24-2017, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpham96 View Post
TimeLine:
Interview request: 03/10/16
Initial interview: 07/22/16
Live Scan: 07/25/16
Live Scan received: 12/23/16
Training: 12/27/16
Sent in training cert: 01/06/17
Conditional Approval: 01/13/17

So it has been a little over 2 months and I still haven't received a pick up date. I've called multiple times for an update and they have been very nice every time. The only answer they could give me was that I am pending a pickup date but there was a hiccup in the system and they are backlogged.
I'm in the same boat man. Going on 2 months now since they've told me my file is completed and I just need a final appointment. They've been really quick to respond to emails but unfortunately they are backed up and there's nothing to do but wait.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Crap, looks like even if I do finish the training in May, it's probably going to be July or later until I can carry in this effing state!

Old 03-24-2017, 1:50 PM

I takes a while, be patient..
Old 03-25-2017, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line View Post
Does the sherif come to your house? I've got a big *** gun safe in my garage is he gonna ask me to open it?
They just checked with my neighbors to confirm I lived there.
Doubt they would even come in if you were home.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line View Post
Does the sherif come to your house? I've got a big *** gun safe in my garage is he gonna ask me to open it?
Yes and No.
Old 03-27-2017, 9:41 AM

Wooohooo, just picked up today. 11 months total, it could be faster but I'm thankful for OCSD.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Updated timeline.

Timeline:
Pick up date: 4/4/17

I didn't expect my renewal to be that quick, kudos to OCSD.