Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 08-25-2008, 7:53 PM

Default Camp Pendleton 600 Yd. Championship

John,
Is this match a Regional, CRPA State Championship or something else altogether? What is the Award schedule? The Match Schedule reads:

"Rifle Allowed for record firing: Service Rifle- Rule 3.1, 3.3.1 or 3.1.2; NRA Match Rifle, Rule 3.3; Any Rifle- Rule 3.2; Rule 3.3.4a: Palma
Rifle –Rule 3.3.3; and “F-Class Prone”- Rule 5.6.1
The ”F” class scores will be reported and used for NRA classification. “F” class cannot be combined with any other class and is not
eligible for winning the match in any conventional class or category. Awards will be awarded in their individual class.
MATCH 1 600 yard individual slow fire prone, Any Rifle, Iron Sights, or F-class. Two sighters and 20 shots for record. (22
minute time limit) LR /FC TGT."

Will there be awards for High Service, High Match, High Any and High Palma? Or will there be an overall Match winner? I ask this because the inevitable overall winner and hence the highest award will most likely go to a scoped Any rifle, so I want to plan accordingly.
What is the significance of "LR/FC TGT"?
LR = Long Range? I thought this was a Mid-Range Match.
FC TGT = F Class Target? Reduce for 600 yds.?

Sounds like a good match, I would just like a little more information.
Old 08-26-2008, 8:16 AM

Hi Martin,

If there are 5 or more competitors in each class there will be an award for that class.

LR is the old designation for the 600 yd. target It is now an MR. FC is F class. I believe what was being described is LR or FC, whichever is appropriate.

It is the same 600 yd match as always, we are advertising that we are F class compatible is all. The bull is greatly reduced for an F class target compared to a MR 600.

Hope that answers your questions, if not come to the General Meeting for the Club Friday, September 12 at 6:30 P.M. We will be finalizing the next year's schedule and I can answer any other questions. I will be sending out notice of the meeting and it's location later today.

John
Old 08-26-2008, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm a bit confused by the schedule for the 600 yard championship. It notes that there will be an individual and team match.

Does this mean that if I were to participate in both the individual and team portions that day, I will be shooting two separate 3x600 (60 round + sighters * 2 for a total of 120 rounds + sighters) matches that day? Or will I be shooting a single 3x600 match and that same score carries over for the team score?

Also, how will team category be decided if the team consists of varying rifles (i.e. 2 service, 1 match, 1 F-class)? Or will a team be required to have the same rifle category for each team member?

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 08-26-2008, 5:09 PM

It would be 3x600 yard individual and a team 1x600. Individual ammo expenditure would be 88rds. I used to shoot this a lot in North Carolina and was VERY popular...this shooting community seems to have a different taste as far as events that are popular. I hope it goes well...it was a cool day, you shoot your individual matches and then make a quick team with your buddies and shoot away. I hope it goes over well...I'd like to start to see a bunch of F-Class guys at all of our mid-range events.
Old 08-26-2008, 5:16 PM

...sorry didn't see you second question. The team will be classified by the "highest" class of rifle. For instance 3 service rifles and 1 match rifle = match rifle team and so on. In North Carolina there would be well over a hundred guys (and gals) shooting in every match so there was really no issue trying to find a couple of shooters with the same rifle. We'll have to see how it all works out, the most important thing is that all the shooters have fun and everyone who wants to shoot get to shoot (within the rules).
Old 08-26-2008, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglicomarine View Post
It would be 3x600 yard individual and a team 1x600. Individual ammo expenditure would be 88rds.
Ah, I understand. I thought it meant that the team match would be 4 shooters per team, each shooter firing 60 rounds (three 20-shot strings), which seemed to me would take a lot of time.

It makes more sense that you would just have a team event where each shooter fires a one 20-shot string for the team.

Thanks for the clarification.

As far as the rifle category, I'd be shooting Service Rifle (AR15). I don't have a truly competition grade F-Class rifle built (my Savage 10FP would work, but it needs a new barrel; incidentally, I talked to Shilen to see if they offered 6.5 Creedmoor - they don't - so I don't know if I'll go .308 or buy the 6.5 reamer from Creedmoor) nor a NRA Match rifle.

But on a regular day, I break 190 easily with the AR @ 600. On a good day, I'm at 195 or better.

Old 08-26-2008, 7:11 PM

I've been thinking of getting a new F-TR rifle built in 6.5x45...have to figure out the finances but I thought that would do well at 600, and I could shoot tactical matches with it as well. I've recently been giving a lot of thought into shooting a tactical match here and there. What are you hearing about the 6.5 Creedmoor?
Old 08-26-2008, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglicomarine View Post
What are you hearing about the 6.5 Creedmoor?
Not much honestly. I didn't get a chance to talk to Dennis DeMille last Sunday to confirm if he was using the 6.5 Creedmoor in his T2K, but I suspect he was. And if he was, it didn't look like the cartridge was holding him back at all.

Charles Guzman recently had his Tikka 595 rebarrelled in 6.5 Creedmoor by Mac Tilton. He was breaking it in at Inland F&G a few weekends ago using factory Hornady ammo (but he does have the dies and brass), and it was easily holding X-ring on the SR target at 200 meters.

I'm sure that rifle will have no problems holding 10-ring at mid-range to long range, and should shoot X-ring given the shooter is up to it.

With all the guys I know building match rifles, I'm thinking about selling some guns to get an Eliseo gun built. Sigh, but I wanted to get a new Macbook when Apple announces the next revision (rumored Aluminum case with glass touch pad) and a new dSLR body (Canon 40D or maybe the 50D). So many desired toys, not enough money...

Old 08-27-2008, 5:03 AM

I've been working out some issues with my 6br...I'm used to reloading for .223 and .308. I have to adjust my load a bit...I shot a TINY group at Inland Fish and Game but the groups were getting bigger. I missed the mid range match last weekend and I'm in NO way ready for a cross the course match...the rapids are killing me. The match rifle thing is really taking some getting used to for me after 20 years with a service rifle. I'm selling my Compass Lake AR-15 which will help fund my next project.

Last edited by anglicomarine; 08-27-2008 at 5:09 AM..
Old 08-30-2008, 8:29 AM

Anglicomarine, F/TR is 223 or 308 only. Anything else and you compete with the belly BR guys.[Like me] I'll be there. Still trying to decide if I want to shoot my LR tactical rifle [7SAUM] or my 600yd BR/F/Class[6.5x47Lapua].
Built an aluminum sled with pockets for lead to put on the A5 stock. It brings the weight up to 20.5lbs. Made it 2.95" wide so it will fit my front rest perfectly.
I get some heat from the other guys when I use my BR rigs.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF View Post
Anglicomarine, F/TR is 223 or 308 only. Anything else and you compete with the belly BR guys.[Like me] I'll be there. Still trying to decide if I want to shoot my LR tactical rifle [7SAUM] or my 600yd BR/F/Class[6.5x47Lapua].
Built an aluminum sled with pockets for lead to put on the A5 stock. It brings the weight up to 20.5lbs. Made it 2.95" wide so it will fit my front rest perfectly.
I get some heat from the other guys when I use my BR rigs.
Yeah...I'm trying to decide what I'll shoot myself. I have the 6mmbr I could shoot off the sling, 6.5x284 F gun, or .308 F-TR. I think I found out what I was doing with the 6br...I just don't want to spend the day ticked off. I'm actually leaning towards my 6.5mm...is Tom going to make it out?
Old 08-30-2008, 5:18 PM

In his last post he said he should be back by the 20th.
Old 08-30-2008, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I thought I already mailed in my entry form and check, but I noticed that I still had the envelope in the front passenger seat of my daily driver.

I'll be trying to drop it in the mailbox on Tuesday (has my entry forms and checks for the 3x600 Championship and the 'Open' Individual XTC in Sept).

BTW: I was talking to another HP shooter today he said it would probably be a good idea to post the format of the 600 yard Championship individual and team matches on the SMGC website. He didn't know the format (regarding how the team would be shot as four 20-shot string, 1 per team member) until I had emailed him a few days ago.

Last edited by ocabj; 08-30-2008 at 7:53 PM..
Old 09-09-2008, 7:22 PM

I'm going to try to get some tagret pullers for this comeing 600 yard match. If you would like one, please let me know. It would be between you and the pullers on the cost of your domation. I would like to say that it would be at least $60.00 per shooter and tips if you like them. I will post this to the Marines since they are looking for funds to pay for their Marine Corps Balls in Nov. Some units are having their Balls before Nov since they maybe deploying to the sand box early. Swingman
Old 09-10-2008, 5:41 PM

LongRng...you mean about $20.00 per shooter right??? $60.00 per tgt point???
$60.00 per shooter is steep.
Old 09-11-2008, 7:34 PM

Yes, absolutely, long range mistyped. The going rate is $20.00 per shooter, $60-80 per Firing Point; plus a tip if deserved.

John
Old 09-18-2008, 7:21 PM

Note: Match 1, this is to alow everyone that may or may not have a zero a chance to hit the target without getting a miss on the first shot for record. You get no extra time just extra rounds until you hit paper.

MATCH 1: 600 yard individual slow fire prone, Any Rifle, Iron Sights, or F-class. Each shooter may fire unlimited sighters to hit the target. However, once the first round hit the target that will be the shooters first sighter for record. Shooters will score two sighters and 20 shots for record with a time limit of 22 minutes. There will be no additional time added for Match 1.

MATCH 2: 600 yard individual slow fire prone, Any Rifle, Iron Sights, or F-class. Each shooter will fire two sighters and 20 shots for record with a time limit of 22 minutes.

MATCH 3: 600 yard individual slow fire prone, Any Rifle, Iron Sights, or F-class. Each shooter will fire two sighters and 20 shots for record with a time limit of 22 minutes.

MATCH 4: Aggregate of matches 1, 2, & 3.

MATCH 5: Four man team match, 600 yard slow fire prone, Any Rifle, Iron Sights, or F-class, 2 sighters and 20 shots for record per team member. There will be a 44 minute team time per two member phase, pit change between phases.

Swingman
Old 09-18-2008, 7:34 PM

I'm saying based on 4 relays the target puller should get $60.00 per target. That is less than $20.00 per shooter. However, if we are running 3 relays it would work out to $20.00 per shooter for the puller.

Marine Corps Base SgtMaj Dixon sent out a email today asking all SgtMaj's to support this. Let's see what happens.

Swingman