Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Default What types of shooting competitions are available for youth?

I have neighbors that have been friends for quite a few years. Their daughter is 10 years old and is very active in outdoor activities. She rides horses and has been involved in a few rodeo type events. she also just started running on the school track team. Well this week while I was over visiting, the subject of shooting came up and she just lit up. I asked if she would like me to take her shooting and she was very excited. She has shot before, they live in the country and she has grown up around guns, but she is starting to develop a competitive side that we have never seen before. I jumped on the net and showed her the different types of guns and shooting events that adults participate in. Well after a while she starts talking about maybe one day she could get into competition and maybe event the Olympics. After talking with her parents, I think I am going to have to see how serious she is going to be about this and we decided to look into it a little more.

What types of shooting sports or events are available for her? I can get her started with basic safety and some plinking in the meantime, but if she wants to go further with this, I would like to know which direction we can go with it. Sh like the steel silhouette shooting videos we watch were they shoot the little chickens and pigs made of steel. She also really like watching the Olympic 25 meter womens pistol videos. I am picking up a little .22lr youth rifle ans a single shot .22lr pistol this week so I have something appropriate for her to start with until we figure out what is next.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-16-2013, 2:11 PM

USPSA runs a junior division, but it really depends on the host club and match directors as to what age. Best thing to do is contact the match directors at the clubs nearest to you, either local action, USPSA, IDPA or Steel Challenge.
Old 03-16-2013, 2:51 PM

My son's shot in

Military Steel Silhouette Rifle, 200-500 meters. (centerfire surplus rifles)

Bullseye, think pistol one handed dualist style (38 cal Bunny-fart loads)

John C Garand Matches

All here in the Sacramento Area.

If you look at the clubs in your area you'll find some really good junior programs like Lincolns rifle program here in Sac Area and Amador has an excellent Shotgun program.
Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning
Old 03-19-2013, 6:30 AM

What clubs exist near Fresno? Where do I find this information?
Old 03-19-2013, 6:40 AM
A Garage in Canoga Park
CGN Contributor

Most of the clubs that use USI in Concord have a kids (Musketters Program) for kids and grandkids of members. Free instruction and ammo for the 8-18 age bracket.
It's awards are from the NRA. My son has been in it for three years and it's a great program.
If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
-Samuel Adams
Old 03-19-2013, 6:41 AM

Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club is in Clovis. Look in the NSSF website.
Old 03-19-2013, 6:42 AM

I'd also check out the 4-H programs in Fresno. They have a shooting sports clubs.

Their March and Feb Newsletters have contact info and classes for Shooting sports etc:

Feb Newsletter:
In this edition…

County Council/Hi-C Meeting
Tech Team Meeting
Emerald and Ruby Star Projects
4-H State Ambassador Program
Fresno County 4-H All Star Program
Scholarships Available
Shooting Sports Project Leader Course Rifle Discipline
Shooting Sports Workshop Muzzle Loading Discipline

2013 4-H Presentation Themes
Special Recognition at 2013 State Presentation Day
County Presentation Day Preparing for Impromptu Speeches
Fresno County Horse Bowl
Fairmont 4-H Horse Gymkhana State Qualifier
Dairy Project Field Day
Attention All Dog Leaders
Fashion Revue 2013
Hornady LnL, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Lee Precision and Lyman User
If You want Match or Leadless hunting Ammo check out Monolithic Munitions Yes I am a shill, friends with the owners.

Last edited by gemoose23; 03-19-2013 at 6:45 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 7:01 AM

she can combine shooting and riding doing the Cowboy Mounted Shooting events as well....
Old 03-19-2013, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Smallbore silhouette is probably a good rifle discipline to go with. Standing unsupported is the one position that a shooter is always going to be working on and that's what silhouette is going to hammer away.

And silhouette gives immediate feedback (steel target impact).

This can transition immediately to three position small bore and that can transition to High Power Rifle ("Across the Course").

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO |

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-19-2013, 9:34 AM
Default Visalia 4H

If you are in Reedley the closest thing to you is the 4H group at Visalia Sportsmens Association. You want to contact Steve Quinn he runs a 22 program there, you can PM me if you need more info. Steve also has some high power rifles for the kids to progress to if they are really interested. If this kid really gets into it the California Grizzlies is the most accomplished junior rifle team in the country and they are always looking for new shooters. For some reason we have had very few kids on the Grizzlies team from the Fresno area, it sure would be nice to get more central valley kids on the team.
Old 03-30-2013, 2:34 PM

Thanks for all the great information. We will look into the different organizations as time allows. The cowboy action shooting is really going to appeal to her. She already has many ribbons and awards for barrel racing.