Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 AM

Default What is the BEST holster for a S&W Shield?

I'm currently using an Aliengear 3.0 IWB. It sucks. I cant use it with a t shirt at all, the sights, the grip and clips all poke out, its not very concealed. AG's holster worked well for my full size CZ so I gave them a try with the shield and I'm a little disappointed. What brands should I look at for best concealment?

Last edited by ScottyXbones; 08-13-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Why don’t you just send it back to Aliengear? Don’t they have a lifetime warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 11:38 AM

I could, but I'd get an AG holster back and it will still print
Old 08-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Gotcha....I hope you find the one you need.

Old 08-13-2018, 8:22 PM

I’ve been using a T-Rex Sidecar for my shield. I like it a lot. Comfortable, doesn’t print much. I just ordered a Tier 1 axis slim to see if it’s better.
Old 08-13-2018, 8:32 PM

I have both a Cottonmouth Concealment kydex and a Crossbreed hybrid made with horse hide. I prefer my Cottonmouth more. I’m 5’10 235lbs. and carry at 4:00.
Old 08-15-2018, 4:05 PM

I like my Alien gear for my shield 3.0 for my shield.... but I have to wear it at 4/5 o-clock
But I have a soft (relentless tactical) IWB that I love for it..... I’d recommend that
WTB CZ 512 22wmr
WTB seecamp or Tomcat 32acp
Old 08-15-2018, 4:13 PM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

When in doubt, spend the money in the right place the first time.... Tier1Concealed for the win!
Old 08-15-2018, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
I'm currently using an Aliengear 3.0 IWB. It sucks. I cant use it with a t shirt at all, the sights, the grip and clips all poke out, its not very concealed. AG's holster worked well for my full size CZ so I gave them a try with the shield and I'm a little disappointed. What brands should I look at for best concealment?

Scotty are you located in Orange County? If you are I recommend you bring your gun to our shop, or this weekend at the OC Gun Show and try a Packin' Fur Defense Holster for your Shield. We have a number is stock at this time. It's always better if you can try before you buy. My Kydex holsters allow a range of adjustability, are tuckable, and can accept six different types of clips for a perfect fit assuming a Kydex holster is the right type of holster.

However there is more to selecting a holster than the gun model... If wouldn't mind answering some of these questions I can tailor a better response for you.

A classic CCW beginner mistake is to say to a salesman, friend or forum I have Gun X what holster should I get. This is immediately followed by a list of holsters people either have, or wish they had with no analysis of factors that drive the selection of this critical piece of kit.
Despite your wish that you will be able to draw your weapon like you were in training or at the range, you are most likely to have been caught off guard, at a time and place not of your choosing, in close contact, with the attacker on you, and likely injured. You should be able to accomplish the draw one handed and in 1.5 seconds or less. Like a parachute or an open ocean life raft, you are depending on your holster to function in the worst condition, and function reliably. It’s a life and death choice.
Let’s start with the information you need to give anyone you’re asking for assistance so they can make an informed suggestion.
Where on the body do you plan to carry your weapon, and why there?
Are you thin, average, heavy, tall, or short?
Do you have any medical issues, arthritis, skin condition, ulcer, IBS, frequent heartburn, bad back, carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, or shoulder injuries? All of these affect holster choices and or position.
What is your normal style of clothing? Do you always wear a belt? Do you wear casual untucked look, business casual, scrubs, suit or uniform?
Do you know the limitation of each kind of holster, and carry position?

Will you have to remove the gun and holster to go into certain venues, or work? This impacts holster choice.

Do you live in California, clothing styles here impact holster choice, especially in Southern California? Remember if your carrying IWB your concealing the grip not gun, unless you go large holster like a hybrid in which case you complicate concealment, fit and comfort. There are place for them, but understand the trade space.

There are more questions that can be discussed, however this is a solid foundation for selecting a holster.

Last edited by grantar2; 08-15-2018 at 7:23 PM..
Old 08-17-2018, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

What position do you usually carry? I don’t know much about Alien Gear but they’re not appealing to me whatsoever. They were one of the holster manufacturers that I was considering when I was looking for a holster for my Shield. They’re so ugly and look really bulky. My Shield currently rides AIWB in my G-Code Incog. It’s a good holster and it doesn’t print. I recently got the Tier 1 Concealed Agis for my Glock 43 and it’s hands down the best holster I’ve ever purchased. It conceals a little bit better but it’s way more comfortable than my Incog. I’m planning to sell my Incog for my Shield and Glock 19 to replace them with Tier 1 Concealed. Let me know if you’re interested in purchasing my Incog. I’ll give you a good deal on it.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM

Definitely in the market for a new holster and this Tier 1 seems to be winning for me. Wish I could try it out first.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Best holster I've found after buying nearly every major marketed company out there is Black Arch. The Black Arch Protos-M is a hybrid holster but has a full wrap around kydex over the trigger guard so you have consistent retention and that "click" when holstering. I carry a p10c more comfortably in my Black Arch holster than I can carry my Shield in an alien gear, crossbreed, ANR Design, etc.. highly recommeded!!

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/co...ducts/protos-m
Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
Definitely in the market for a new holster and this Tier 1 seems to be winning for me. Wish I could try it out first.
Where are you located? I have mine for my G19 but if you're local you're more than welcome to give it a try
Old 08-22-2018, 4:47 PM

Have you looked at Garrett Industries? I hate kydex because I worry about ruining the finish (I primarily have all metal deep blued polished weapons) and kydex is loud on the draw and reholstering but Garrett Industries lines their kydex with leather preserving the life of your weapon and making both the draw and reholstering quiet.

Garrett Industries

This video sold me on them
Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equitymind View Post
Have you looked at Garrett Industries? I hate kydex because I worry about ruining the finish (I primarily have all metal deep blued polished weapons) and kydex is loud on the draw and reholstering but Garrett Industries lines their kydex with leather preserving the life of your weapon and making both the draw and reholstering quiet.

Garrett Industries

This video sold me on them
If the Kydex is properly made there is less wear from Kydex than leather. Leather contacts the entire gun and rubs the finish. The click you hear on a Kydex is the trigger guard entering the space that retains the gun, and on some the ejection port. You can create more or less contact by how tight you set the retention. In So Cal it's not a problem in other states where there is high humidity leading the wearer to sweat more, leather can actually be even worse as sweat and moisture pass through the leather and are retained causing corrosion on the weapon.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eglocker View Post
Best holster I've found after buying nearly every major marketed company out there is Black Arch. The Black Arch Protos-M is a hybrid holster but has a full wrap around kydex over the trigger guard so you have consistent retention and that "click" when holstering. I carry a p10c more comfortably in my Black Arch holster than I can carry my Shield in an alien gear, crossbreed, ANR Design, etc.. highly recommeded!!

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/co...ducts/protos-m
Way more holster than is needed for a Shield. Your spending more effort concealing the holster than the gun. with a proper single clip Kydex all your concealing is the grip the rest of is hidden by the natural shape of the pants.
Old 09-01-2018, 6:02 PM

Aholster.com AIWB Wedge.
Old 09-01-2018, 7:17 PM

If you want to carry appendix, the T-Rex Sidecar is the best. It’s my EDC!
Old 09-01-2018, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I set my sister up with a Crossbreed Quikclip with a 15% cant for her Shield.
She loves it.

Easy on, easy off, very secure and hides her Shield well, even under silk

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-02-2018, 2:48 PM

Stealthgear is what I use. Their smaller one. Honestly, asking about holsters is asking for 100 opinions.
Old 09-02-2018, 3:01 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Vedder Kydex
I've got probably 40 holsters and always end up going back to my Vedder for the Shield, P380, or Glocks including the G30.

The dual-clip hybrid holsters are just "too much holster" for the compact and sub-compact guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 09-02-2018, 3:44 PM

Strong side: Milt Sparks Criterion with snaps (not magnets; request at time of order).

Appendix: JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5 with full sweatshield, pull the dot loops spaced together, and short wedge.
Old 09-02-2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
I set my sister up with a Crossbreed Quikclip with a 15% cant for her Shield.
She loves it.

Easy on, easy off, very secure and hides her Shield well, even under silk

There is so much wrong with this holster that I can only say using it demonstrates serious ignorance about safety and functionality.
Old 09-02-2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Vedder Kydex
I've got probably 40 holsters and always end up going back to my Vedder for the Shield, P380, or Glocks including the G30.

The dual-clip hybrid holsters are just "too much holster" for the compact and sub-compact guns.
+1 here
Old 09-02-2018, 8:24 PM

I've been carrying my Shield in a LAG Defender for 2 years. It's comfortable, secure and allows me to get my hand on the gun in the same way I hold to shoot.

EDC, classes and IDPA shoots. It's always IWB at 10:30-11:00.

I prefer the 2 clips because with the same type of pants on all the time I am able to orient the clips in the same place in relation to belt loops. It does matter if you are trying to shave 10ths off of your draw time.

I suppose with all the good holster makers out there most are quite adequate, Chevy, Dodge sort of stuff.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I also feel the two clip holsters for the subcompacts is a bit much for my needs. I use a Vedder, Clinger, and BlackArch (single clip hybrid) for my sub compact weapons. XDS in a Vedder. They're IMG_2649.jpgall Very versatile and comfortable.IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Last edited by DrkSh8ds; 09-03-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Sideguardholster minimal clip is the perfect setup for the Shield.
Old 09-26-2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
There is so much wrong with this holster that I can only say using it demonstrates serious ignorance about safety and functionality.
Could you help me understand what is wrong with it (or the brand)?
Old 09-26-2018, 6:38 PM

http://www.blackpointtactical.com/shop/miniwing/

Carried a Shield in the Mini-Wing for almost a year and 3600 rounds. Have since gotten three more for other pistols. Highly recommended.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
• Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrels for DTA SRS, various calibers (new)
Old 09-27-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfenhammer View Post
http://www.blackpointtactical.com/shop/miniwing/

Carried a Shield in the Mini-Wing for almost a year and 3600 rounds. Have since gotten three more for other pistols. Highly recommended.
Look minimalist. They don't make one for lighted weapon
Old 09-27-2018, 9:41 AM

If you are printing, look into wearing a slightly larger outside garment.

With that said, I don't like the Alien Gear concept for a holster. Find that hybrid design is too bulky for me.
Old 09-27-2018, 9:55 AM

Cross Breed Mini Tuck has worked well for me. Only wish that the belt clips were adjustable up and down.
Old 11-11-2018, 8:03 PM

tier 1 concealed in amazing
Old 11-14-2018, 5:21 PM

belly-band here, no complaints.
Old 11-14-2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtne1 View Post
Cross Breed Mini Tuck has worked well for me. Only wish that the belt clips were adjustable up and down.

+1 Cross breed Supertuck IWB with Ulticlips replacing the belt loops does it for me, but I have a Safariland 7378 7TS ALS thumb-release OWB on the way.

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!

Last edited by ronlglock; 11-18-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-14-2018, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
+1 and check out Ulticlip: https://www.ulticlip.com

There are clips you can put on in place of the stock clip that will allow you to move the holster up or down.
Old 11-14-2018, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

There is no "best" Grasshopper. Only best for you. And that's part of the problem. What I like and what works well for me, or works well for my gun, might not work for you and your gun.

You also didn't mention what position you're carrying in and that may make a difference on the holsters people recommend.

With the above said, I'm a fan of JM Custom AIWB-WC holsters and they definitely do the job for a 5 inch 1911 and a 4 M&P. It's a pretty minimalist holster anyway but you may not need the wing and claw for a small Shield.

I also run G Code Incog occasionally for a 3.3" XDS. It works ok.

If you're anywhere near Grantar's shop, go take a trip in with your gun and talk to them. I'm betting it's worth your time.

Fighter Pilot
Old 11-16-2018, 9:18 PM

I've been carrying with a Multiholsters IWB kydex holster for roughly 5 years or so. Very comfortable and durable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multiholsters.jpg (91.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-27-2018, 6:03 PM

Default You might want to try Versacarry

I would recommend that you check out the different holsters that Versacarry has to offer. I got my holster a little over a year and a half ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. They custom fit their holsters to the gun that you have when you order it. It holds really well and it's easy to conceal. They're also one of the only companies that I know of that offers holsters that will hold an extra mag clip. You should check them out... http://bit.ly/2OUgrft

Here's a picture of what mine looks like. It is the Protector S2, and it fits my M&P Shield like a glove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6896.jpg (90.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-27-2018, 6:07 PM

Try a Crossbreed "Micro Tuck" Holster. Mine conceals mine very well with just a t-shirt. I also have one for my G45 and it doesn't print at all.