Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2013, 1:35 AM

Default Please weigh in on my choices before I purchase my first handgun

In about three weeks I'll be walking into doors of a gun shop and picking out my first handgun. I've shot for various pistols for three years and own several long guns, but never yet a pistol. I'm the kind of guy who does meticulous research about his hobbies and I've spent some time shopping around. I was hoping you guys could point me towards the right direction and answer a few questions I have.

I have narrowed my choices down to the CZ 75 B, Beretta 92FS, or on the off chance I find one in the right price zone, Browning Hi Power or SIG P226, based on the following criteria I made up:

1. 9mm. I've shot with major calibers from .22LR to .44 Magnum, and this is the one I like the most.
2. Full size. I'm not carrying this gun anytime soon, and the compact Glock I shot was slightly too small for my liking.
3. Metal frame. I know most everyone recommends a Glock for a first gun, but I like the feeling of steel in my hands far better.
4. ~$750 or less. I've saved up but I'm still poor.
5. Durable, reliable and easy to maintain. I like shooting guns, holding guns, but not cleaning guns or sending them to the gunsmith.

Which of the guns (or perhaps one that I've never thought of) should I choose? Where in Southern California (Los Angeles, but willing to travel) should I go to find a FFL with it in stock? The 92FS seems to be readily available, but I can't seem to find a CZ anywhere.