Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-13-2018, 1:54 PM

Default Colt Diamondback vs S&W Model 17

I recently acquired one of the rifles that's been on my wishlist for many years, the Browning BL-22. Now, I'm onto the next. I don't know how long it'll take but I'll get there. I've now been looking for a revolver, my criteria are: accurate, reliable, blued steel and wood grips. I've narrowed the list down to 2 contenders, the Colt Diamondback and the S&W Model 17.

So cost aside, which revolver is the best shooter of the bunch? Anyone have experience with either or both?
Old 05-13-2018, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Just grab whichever one you can actually find
Old 05-13-2018, 3:26 PM

I've owned several S&W Model 17 Revolvers. In my opinion, you won't find a better .22 revolver.
Old 05-13-2018, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfired View Post
I recently acquired one of the rifles that's been on my wishlist for many years, the Browning BL-22. Now, I'm onto the next. I don't know how long it'll take but I'll get there. I've now been looking for a revolver, my criteria are: accurate, reliable, blued steel and wood grips. I've narrowed the list down to 2 contenders, the Colt Diamondback and the S&W Model 17.

So cost aside, which revolver is the best shooter of the bunch? Anyone have experience with either or both?
I have 6" Diamondback and a 70's made Smith Model 17. The Smith has a better trigger pull and sight picture by virtue of the Patridge front sight vs the Diamondback's ramped front. The Diamondback is much more muzzle heavy, as would be expected with the lugged barrel. I prefer that feel to the Smith's. I like the Smith target grips over the Colt because I have larger hands, the Colt D framed gun is a slightly smaller than the K frame Smith. Lock up on the Colt is better than the Smith. Nothing wrong with the Smith, its 1 stage hand is just different than the Colt's 2 stage.

The Colt trigger is fairly narrow and sharply curved, the Smith's is wider and grooved but doesn't curve nearly as much, it's more open.

I shoot the Smith more accurately than the Colt. I think all in all it's better set up for target shooting, either one is fine for about 99% of the shooting anyone will do. Mostly a matter of personal preference.
Old 05-13-2018, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

The more accurate comparison would be the M17 VS a Colt Trooper, as a 22 diamond back will cost you north of $2k. As Dflecher said it would get down to trigger pull...hard to beat a S&W trigger.
Old 05-13-2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Henry View Post
I've owned several S&W Model 17 Revolvers. In my opinion, you won't find a better .22 revolver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I have 6" Diamondback and a 70's made Smith Model 17. The Smith has a better trigger pull and sight picture by virtue of the Patridge front sight vs the Diamondback's ramped front. The Diamondback is much more muzzle heavy, as would be expected with the lugged barrel. I prefer that feel to the Smith's. I like the Smith target grips over the Colt because I have larger hands, the Colt D framed gun is a slightly smaller than the K frame Smith. Lock up on the Colt is better than the Smith. Nothing wrong with the Smith, its 1 stage hand is just different than the Colt's 2 stage.

The Colt trigger is fairly narrow and sharply curved, the Smith's is wider and grooved but doesn't curve nearly as much, it's more open.

I shoot the Smith more accurately than the Colt. I think all in all it's better set up for target shooting, either one is fine for about 99% of the shooting anyone will do. Mostly a matter of personal preference.
Thanks for the honest opinions. My use would be mainly target and a bit of hunting here and there. Sounds like the Model 17 is just hard to beat.
Old 05-13-2018, 4:44 PM

They are pretty equal guns shooting-wise, although I think the S&W has a better trigger. However, you can probably buy two nice Smiths for the price of a beater Diamondback.
Old 05-13-2018, 5:10 PM

I will add another, the Colt Officers Model Target, Special, and Match. Depends on the year they were made. The Diamond back with a snake name will cost you a bunch. The pre war Colt's are the same action but made by craftsmen. Also cheaper. The K22 and the model 17 ae indeed very nice revolvers and equal in quality (depending on year made) I have both, and the Pre War Colt OMT is the more accurate. The 1948 K22 has a better double action. Horses for courses.
Old 05-13-2018, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know much about the Diamondback, but having owned 2 S&W 17's, I can't say that I've fired a more accurate .22 revolver.
Old 05-13-2018, 6:37 PM

I've shot both...the Diamondback felt more solid when cocking the hammer for single action and for lockup feel than the 17. Both triggers were clean and crisp, with the edge maybe going to the Smith.

As nice as the Colt was, I was able to shoot consistently better groups with the Smith.
Old 05-13-2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrjd View Post
I will add another, the Colt Officers Model Target, Special, and Match. Depends on the year they were made. The Diamond back with a snake name will cost you a bunch. The pre war Colt's are the same action but made by craftsmen. Also cheaper. The K22 and the model 17 ae indeed very nice revolvers and equal in quality (depending on year made) I have both, and the Pre War Colt OMT is the more accurate. The 1948 K22 has a better double action. Horses for courses.
Thank you for introducing more models I never knew existed. Those are some nice looking revolvers at the price of the Model 17s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
I don't know much about the Diamondback, but having owned 2 S&W 17's, I can't say that I've fired a more accurate .22 revolver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I've shot both...the Diamondback felt more solid when cocking the hammer for single action and for lockup feel than the 17. Both triggers were clean and crisp, with the edge maybe going to the Smith.

As nice as the Colt was, I was able to shoot consistently better groups with the Smith.
Starting to sound like these Smiths are tack drivers.
Old 05-13-2018, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

In my experiences and travels a 17 or pre 17 is much easier to find and cheaper than a Diamondback. I have 0 experience with owning or firing a 22 Diamondback but own the 17 and it's variants for many years and they are fine guns.
Old 05-13-2018, 9:56 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, the vintage K22
Old 05-14-2018, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Look for the 17 with the target trigger and hammer. I have a pristine one with the 8 inch barrel. It is the most accurate handgun I own bar none. I have Turned down big bucks for it...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 05-15-2018, 9:58 AM

Quote:

the Model 17 is just hard to beat.
Yep... S&W named it the Masterpiece for good reason!

m17f.jpg
Old 05-15-2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki#2 View Post
Yep... S&W named it the Masterpiece for good reason!

Attachment 707105
Lever gun...check! Zippo...check! Now I just need that revolver and holster and I will be complete . Thanks for that pic, it's my new desktop background now .
Old 05-16-2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:

Now I just need that revolver and holster and I will be complete .
Good times ahead!! Holster's made my S&W too !!!

........ of course, I would never use that holster with my Model 17. First off, it's not lined w/ felt or something soft. And that's the problem with a mint M17...
Blued guns are hard to keep mint. I'd have more fun with it if I bought a shooter.

Last edited by nikki#2; 05-16-2018 at 4:22 PM..
Old 05-16-2018, 4:49 PM

May want to also consider the Smith & Wesson's Model 18, Combat Masterpiece.....

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...at-masterpiece

smith mod 18-3.jpg

Last edited by GunDog; 05-16-2018 at 4:54 PM..
Old 05-16-2018, 4:58 PM

Here's a video discussing the "fabulous" Smith Model 18-3 that you may find interesting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XJmw3kkOcr4
Old 05-16-2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
May want to also consider the Smith & Wesson's Model 18, Combat Masterpiece.....

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...at-masterpiece

Attachment 707502
Great looking revolver. I did consider it, but I'm partial to the 6" barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
Here's a video discussing the "fabulous" Smith Model 18-3 that you may find interesting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XJmw3kkOcr4
Good video, thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a 17 and an 18 and a 617 with 4in barrel plus various J frame kit guns. They are all worth picking up. All prelock I refuse to buy a lock version. Some people complain about the 617's with aluminum cylinders but I've never personally owners or tried one out.
Old 05-17-2018, 7:03 AM

My K-22 is very accurate.

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21