Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-17-2013, 9:45 AM

Default Mueller Speed Shot 1-4X

Hey all,

Has anyone out there had experience with the above scope? I'm finishing up my first AR build and am looking for a budget optic for it. The rifle in question is a Franklin Armory billet lower, Magpul ACS stock, Parallax LPK, and the Parallax complete upper below (PXT Extreme 16" Mk.V FFSSR Edition)

http://parallaxtactical.com/collecti...complete-upper

I'm going to be using this at 200yds and less and I already have LWRC Skirmish Flip ups to go on it. For longer range work I already have a complete AR with a higher power 3-9 scope and 20" bull barrel. This is for my fun gun.

For the price the Mueller scope has great reviews and I'm looking for something variable with 1-4X and illuminated reticle.

I am also thinking that around Christmas time I might have Santa get me a red-dot for it (Aimpoint PRO). My brother has one and I thoroughly enjoy it. For now though I'm fine with a cheaper variable scope like the Mueller.

If you have any other suggestions between $200 -$300 or so feel free to fire away. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

I haven’t used the Muller Speed shot, but I am a big fan of low power variables.

My suggestion is to get the optic you really want from the get-go… Even after the Muller and a decent mount you are not too far from a brand new or even used Aimpoint Pro.

If you are going to replace the scope anyways in December your time and money would be better spent just getting what you really want.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I won't be getting rid of the Mueller if I get one, I just have a feeling I'll use the red-dot more as I do most of my shooting at indoor ranges at this point.

I'll use the 1-4X mainly at the outdoor ranges (SBRGC) if I want a little more precision at the longer distances.

For the sake of conversation, is there a much better option for a 1-4X instead of getting the Mueller AND an Aimpoint PRO assuming I end up using only my flip ups and the variable and just ignore a red-dot?

I would say my total optics budget would be between $500 and $750 and I can hold off on getting anything and use my irons while I wait for a little more spending loot to use towards a nice 1-4X.

Illuminated reticle is a requirement though.

Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Unfortunately I haven’t used the Muller to really give sound advice on it, but from what I read on the net it seems to share more similarities with a RDS + Magnifier than most of the other 1-4x low power variables on the market. It probably wouldn’t be my first choice if I wanted a more precise aiming point at 4x for longer distances.

Right now I use the Vortex PST 1-4x and the SWFA 1-6x FFP scopes… The illuminated reticle on the Vortex PST might be a weak if you are looking for a RDS replacement depending on where you shoot.

The SWFA 1-4x FFP and the Trijicon 1-4x scope is closer to your price range and would be a contender as something to get instead of the Mullet and Aimpoint… Between the two depends on your shooting style and what you look for in an optic, but since illumination is really important to you, give a serious look at the Trijicon.

All of the above scopes are illuminated but the Trijicon has the best daylight visibility, but the SWFA scopes play a better role as a precision optic with their reticle and exposed target turrets.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-17-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 10-17-2013, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Unfortunately I haven’t used the Muller to really give sound advice on it, but from what I read on the net it seems to share more similarities with a RDS + Magnifier than most of the other 1-4x low power variables on the market. It probably wouldn’t be my first choice if I wanted a more precise aiming point at 4x for longer distances.

Right now I use the Vortex PST 1-4x and the SWFA 1-6x FFP scopes… The illuminated reticle on the Vortex PST might be a weak if you are looking for a RDS replacement depending on where you shoot.

The SWFA 1-4x FFP and the Trijicon 1-4x scope is closer to your price range and would be a contender as something to get instead of the Mullet and Aimpoint… Between the two depends on your shooting style and what you look for in an optic, but since illumination is really important to you, give a serious look at the Trijicon.

All of the above scopes are illuminated but the Trijicon has the best daylight visibility, but the SWFA scopes play a better role as a precision optic with their reticle and exposed target turrets.
Thanks for all the info. I'll take a look at those.
Old 10-18-2013, 2:12 PM

I ended up ordering this with the mount kit from SWFA.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-O...it-P61988.aspx

I like the reticle style better and some of the other features over the Mueller. Thanks for the tips on Trijicon. Who knows, maybe Santa will bring me one.