Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:15 PM

Default Glock quality

I've been very impressed with Glock, it's performance, and the quality of the firearm since I bought it last October. I've had no major issues with it. my only complaints thus far have been with the 2183 followers, and the plastic OEM sights. The 2183 followers work flawlessly with FMJ, but jam on every tenth JHP. Easily fixed by calling Glock and getting free new followers, or by buying 10/15 magazines. They should not be shipping the 2183's if they know they cause problems.

The pistol wears extraordinarily well, for how much I've fired it I would expect to see alot more wear.

15,900 rounds by me & cousin, unknown amount by previous owner.

Only part I've had to replace is a recoil spring.( and mag springs, but technically not part of the gun.)

No holster wear, the only spot that was worn when I bought the pistol was the top right corner on the rear of the slide.(looks like holster wear from previous owner)

I didn't want to spam the official Glock thread with all these pictures. Here are some pictures of how the pistol has worn. Most of these were just taken, and the gun is dirty. Not ideal lighting either, and the pictures don't capture all of the wear details. But it is what it is.

Glock brand Glock

Last edited by Germ1; 07-27-2016 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: Stuff
Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Glocks are known for reliability. If in a zombie apocalypse and I can only have a single pistol, I would choose my G19 over any of my Sigs, by a slim margin.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That's a lot of rounds in 9.5 months
Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 PM

Just installed Trijicon HD's on my 19 with zero rounds through it. I'm excited to break this thing in. My cousin's G19 has about 20K rounds through it with no issues whatsoever minus recoil spring replacement, like you. Great guns.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Calguns Addict

we get it already , you vape....
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Caketown View Post
we get it already , you vape....
Smoking is bad for you. I Don't smoke, and don't drink.

Last edited by Germ1; 07-27-2016 at 11:34 PM..
Old 07-27-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordupmybrotha View Post
500 every weekend. Count would be higher but I've missed some Sundays. People would be able to shoot more if they didn't buy so many guns.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:54 AM

Always nice when you get a Glock that does what it was made to do.

Do yourself a favor though and start swapping out that recoil spring every 2-3k rounds on your gen 3 (I believe gen 4's can last 5-6k rounds due to the updated dual recoil springs) if you're not already. Especially if you're consistently shooting high volumes on a regular basis (500/week).

Many will claim that their "glock has 50k+ rounds through it and runs like a champ still". What they don't realize is that they are risking cracking their locking block, or in extreme cases their frames, because their slides are absolutely crushing the frame, internals and whatever else is absorbing said recoil (because it sure isn't their recoil springs anymore). Not changing a Glock's recoil spring literally takes years (and thousands upon thousands of rounds) off of it's life and there's nothing worse than a piece getting retired prematurely when it's your go-to and one that you spend a lot of time with, whether by choice or default.

Last edited by dtelston; 07-28-2016 at 12:58 AM..
Old 07-28-2016, 5:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Or use this shock buffer to maintain the longevity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 5:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like every Glock I have owned. The ultimate workhorse.
Old 07-28-2016, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtelston View Post
Stuff
I change my recoil spring soon as the pistol starts launching brass a mile away and has trouble going into battery and or failures. My old recoil spring still had life on it, but I know what to look for in a failing recoil spring so I replaced it.

Thanks for the tip though.
Old 07-28-2016, 7:54 AM

My favorite part about my glocks is after a few thousand rounds when that scratchy sound goes away. I'm talking about the one when you rack the slide. New glocks sound like nails on a chalkboard when you rack 'em. After a few thousand rounds, they rack much easier and sound smoother when doing so. And no, it's not lack of lube causing that sound.

When I hear or shoot someone's Glock and I still hear that sound, I know they don't spend enough time actually shooting the damn thing.
Old 07-28-2016, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ1 View Post
500 every weekend. Count would be higher but I've missed some Sundays. People would be able to shoot more if they didn't buy so many guns.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 07-28-2016, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Haha true.. Im guilty

Quote:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- Dianne Feinstein
Old 07-28-2016, 8:53 AM

Quote:

500 every weekend. Count would be higher but I've missed some Sundays.

People would be able to shoot more if they didn't buy so many guns.
.... or invested in a Dillon, which I'm sure you've already done? I assume your goal is to get sponsored before you go broke.

Last edited by nikki#2; 07-28-2016 at 8:57 AM..
Old 07-28-2016, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

All my Glocks will probably out live me lol...
Old 07-28-2016, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki#2 View Post
.... or invested in a Dillon, which I'm sure you've already done? I assume your goal is to get sponsored before you go broke.
I'm still learning how to reload. Don't have a progressive, or even my own equipment. My grandfather has a turret press, but It's looking more and more likely I'll have to buy my own.

It's nice having a partner to go shoot with, if I were shooting on my own I would only be shooting 200 rounds. Which comes out to about 40 bucks.

I wish I could be sponsored and do nothing but shoot all the time. I'm not that good, just because I shoot alot doesn't mean I'm Jerry Miculek. I can make the bullets go where I want them to, but I'm not fast.(In comparison to competition shooters) I'm still untrained, self taught. Ben Stoeger gives me hope given the fact that he was "self taught" and didn't seek out any professional training. He was the national production champion in 2011 and 2012.

Last edited by Germ1; 07-28-2016 at 9:45 AM..
Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I came to that conclusion for myself, or a similar conclusion. I had to wonder ... I mean, I like to sort of collect guns that I like, but from a practical standpoint, buying one or two guns at most and then just practicing with them makes a lot of sense. I like variety too. I've been focusing on my PPQ, as it's my USPSA gun.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm still learning how to reload. Don't have a progressive, or even my own equipment. My grandfather has a turret press, but It's looking more and more likely I'll have to buy my own.

It's nice having a partner to go shoot with, if I were shooting on my own I would only be shooting 200 rounds. Which comes out to about 40 bucks.

I wish I could be sponsored and do nothing but shoot all the time. I'm not that good, just because I shoot alot doesn't mean I'm Jerry Miculek. I can make the bullets go where I want them to, but I'm not fast.(In comparison to competition shooters) I'm still untrained, self taught. Ben Stoeger gives me hope given the fact that he was "self taught" and didn't seek out any professional training. He was the national production champion in 2011 and 2012.
Ben Stoeger is exceptional though. He also won with a Beretta. I believe one of his core philosophies is "practice until you don't suck".

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Glad to see a post about *real* gun issues - how they handle being used the way they are supposed to be used.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Ben Stoeger is exceptional though. He also won with a Beretta. I believe one of his core philosophies is "practice until you don't suck".
Yeah lol, I've read his book, Champion shooting: A proven process for success. I'd probably be better than what I am if I just bought a shot timer and a holster, so I could do his training routine he outlines in the book.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:25 AM

That's very impressive for that many rounds! Glocks are just about as good as they come.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I shoot 3 times usually a week about 200 -300 rounds through pistol, but bring a couple when I go. and a few hundred rifle rounds. Like you I do not smoke or do drugs so I buy more ammo and reload. I agree with you on the 2183 followers suck and should not be sent out with new pistols, but they still do, as I bought mine at the end of April. did not get till June due to expired drivers license, so I was unable to dros. I put at least 1500 rounds now through the G19 and it is a great little gun.
Old 07-28-2016, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
All my Glocks will probably out live me lol...
You should shoot more or plan to live forever
Old 07-28-2016, 3:06 PM
Banned

I have to agree on the wear statement. I've never had any gun look newer longer.
Old 07-28-2016, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

If only Glock was more 1911ish.....

Or the other way round
Old 07-28-2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooterShooter View Post
That's very impressive for that many rounds! Glocks are just about as good as they come.
I don't know what Glock uses as a finish on their pistols, but it's probably the most durable finish I've seen on a firearm.
Old 07-28-2016, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
If only Glock was more 1911ish.....

Bam

Old 07-28-2016, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
Bam

I would buy that.
Old 07-28-2016, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Roger that, I usually call b.s. when people quote outrageous rounds of ammo downrange unless they have a Dillon reloader or they are a sponsored shooter.
Old 07-28-2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
Roger that, I usually call b.s. when people quote outrageous rounds of ammo downrange unless they have a Dillon reloader or they are a sponsored shooter.
Think what ever you want. Because only professional shooters or reloaders shoot high volumes of ammo.

This guy is self funded too, go call him a liar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhaCXtXq0o

Oh and Ps, that guy Ben Stoeger I mentioned earlier, was not sponsored either and he won the production championship two years in a row.

This is my Sunday, every week. My cousin could support my claims, he's there shooting with me every weekend.

I started picking up my brass and keeping it a few months ago, because I decided reloading was going to be in my near future.
Each one of those 1 gallon bags holds around 2,000. The ones in the plastic holders are the ones I've sorted, and was about to deprime and put into the tumbler. You can even find posts I made in the reloading section about two months or so ago asking questions about reloading.

Last edited by Germ1; 07-28-2016 at 5:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-2016, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtelston View Post
Always nice when you get a Glock that does what it was made to do.

Do yourself a favor though and start swapping out that recoil spring every 2-3k rounds on your gen 3 (I believe gen 4's can last 5-6k rounds due to the updated dual recoil springs) if you're not already. Especially if you're consistently shooting high volumes on a regular basis (500/week).

Many will claim that their "glock has 50k+ rounds through it and runs like a champ still". What they don't realize is that they are risking cracking their locking block, or in extreme cases their frames, because their slides are absolutely crushing the frame, internals and whatever else is absorbing said recoil (because it sure isn't their recoil springs anymore). Not changing a Glock's recoil spring literally takes years (and thousands upon thousands of rounds) off of it's life and there's nothing worse than a piece getting retired prematurely when it's your go-to and one that you spend a lot of time with, whether by choice or default.
Thanks for the reminder. Most problem Glocks are a result of the operator's lack of preventive maintenance.
Old 07-28-2016, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
15,900 rounds by me & cousin, unknown amount by previous owner.

Only part I've had to replace is a recoil spring.( and mag springs, but technically not part of the gun.)
Actually the RSA should have been replaced five times.

Now the mag spring is as needed. For example my Browning High Power is 35 years old and it has been an EDC and the original magazine still has the original magazine spring and it always been 100% reliable with LRN, FMJ and JHP reloads as well as all factory FMJ and JHP ammunition. So maybe 16450000 total rounds down range.
Old 07-28-2016, 8:07 PM

Once you are comfortable on your grandfathers press, always check your powder drops. I learned on the lee classic turret press, loaded 9,40,45,223. It was a great starter press, able to produce 150-250 rounds and hour. Then I invested in the dillion 650 xl fully loaded for 9 and 40, I do not regret my decision. I can produce 1000-1200 rounds and hour. I have loaded about 14000 9mm and 1500 40 S&W. 1k rounds of 9 mm cost me anywhere from $90-120. The press has paid for itself after 10k rounds, trust me you do not really save money , you just shoot more.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
I would buy that.
+1 id buy one in 9mm and 45ACP
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Op, Im not sure if you already stated but what kind of factory do you or did you shoot? Did you ever have issues with any type of the ammo?
I think im gonna stop buying guns and shoot more as well.
Old 07-29-2016, 8:08 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Even at reload prices, that's $2k worth of reloads and $3,500.00 worth of new factory ammo. Damn, I had better up my game, I am happy to shoot 2k to 3k rounds per year.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Even at reload prices, that's $2k worth of reloads and $3,500.00 worth of new factory ammo. Damn, I had better up my game, I am happy to shoot 2k to 3k rounds per year.
There are some people that shoot that much in a month.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Calguns Addict

My coworker shoots that much or more probably per month.. I always tell him come out and practice knife fighting and boxing with me. He always says, "No"
I tend to train more hand to hand combat than shooting. Lot cheaper and I stay in shape at the same time.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
Actually the RSA should have been replaced five times.

Now the mag spring is as needed. For example my Browning High Power is 35 years old and it has been an EDC and the original magazine still has the original magazine spring and it always been 100% reliable with LRN, FMJ and JHP reloads as well as all factory FMJ and JHP ammunition. So maybe 16450000 total rounds down range.
You're a idiot dude, seriously. It's obvious you lack any experience if you think my recoil spring would have needed to be replaced 5 times. My mag springs had to be replaced, FTF and not locking open on empty are signs of a weak mag spring. My mag springs were a full two coils shorter than the new ones I put in there. You're one of the guys who owns guns, but rarely shoots them. Do your self a favor and learn when to shut up, you're in the presence of some one who actually shoots and has real experience behind a firearm.
It's not very hard to count 500 rounds up every week. 9.5 x 2,000=

If you're replacing a RSA 5 times, you're either an idiot and don't know what you're doing, or you have one ****ty firearm.
Here's when you replace a RSA, brass launching farther than normal, FTF, not going into battery, malfunctions. If you actually shot you'd know that. You obviously have not fired a gun enough to experience any of those symptoms.

Don't try to school me, call me a liar, and act like a dick when you have no experience.

Last edited by Germ1; 07-30-2016 at 12:28 PM..