Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-27-2013, 9:58 PM

Default Remembering a classmate....Gunnery Sergeant Figone

http://penderbeaches.wect.com/news/p...-investigation

I realize his death was over a year ago, I attended the funeral. This was the first military funeral I had ever attended and I will not forget it.

I grew up with George from kindergarten through High School, and I clearly remember how excited he was to join the Marine Corps, honestly I am sure he was perfect for the Corps. Tough, strong minded, needed some discipline, and liked to kick some butt once in a while.

I lost touch with him after High School, but if I saw him today we would catch up on old times in a minute. I wanted to post this up to see if, by chance, there was anyone on the forum that knew him / served with him or had any further info on his unit.

The manner of death in which he died is not important for me to understand, he was stateside at the time and was recovering from injuries sustained during a friendy fire incident in Afghanistan.

3 Combat tours, a Purple Heart and a Commendation mMedal with Combat V.....I would have loved to talked with him regarding these moments in his career.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 AM

Sorry to hear about you're lost. I don't know him personally but I joined the the Marines roughly about the same time as he did (in '98) and got out about the same time in '06. Although I wasn't with Recon or special forces im sure it would have been a pleasure to have served next to a dedicated marine. I am curious now as what was the circumstance that took the life of such eextraordinary person.
Old 03-03-2013, 9:10 PM

Keeping it going
Old 03-05-2013, 5:46 PM

Are the Marines that are part of MARSOC typically door kickers?
Old 03-20-2013, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmust1991 View Post
Total disrespect! Door kickers. R.I.P. Gunny! Semper Fi
Old 03-20-2013, 9:58 AM

I would like to see what the MO office rules the cause of death to be. Always sad seeing another fall, especially outside of a combat zone.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmust1991 View Post
MARSOC operators are highly trained in all kinds of missions to include kicking in door if need be. I worked with MARSOC while deployed in Iraq in 05 and they left most of the heavy hitting to the regular Infantry guys and would do more of the "high value" mission themselves.
Old 12-27-2015, 4:19 PM

Default George L Figone Jr.

Hi,
I knew George. We met in 2000 when he was stationed at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, Ca. We were in a relationship for a while and while he was deployed to Iraq. I sent him lots of music and stories with pictures to help keep him going during that time of his life. He showed me in 2004 that he kept everything and that he cherished it. The last time I saw him was in 2007 but we stayed in touch until probably 2009. I learned of his death about a year and a half ago/2 years ago and it rocked my world. It's still rocked. He was so funny & silly. To the core a good man with deep love for his family and his faith. He spoke often of his siblings, and his grandparents, especially. He loved being a Marine & loved the others he worked with. I remember his special Catholic necklace he wore all the time.. makes me smile with tears in my eyes to think about him. He is missed & I wish his family all of the best.

Last edited by jlk; 12-31-2015 at 9:55 AM..