Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-19-2017, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

Default I made the mistake of researching scopes and now I'm going crazy

I am looking for a scope for a .22lr that has 12x to 14x.
Looking for adjustable objective. Have been looking at rimfire scopes but I already have a fixed power rimfire scope. Was hoping to find a scope that I can use for longer range .22lr target shooting.

I started reading reviews and information on rimfire central. A lot of guys use normal centerfire rifles for rimfire with AO.

I started looking at Vortex, Burris and some air rifle brands like Hawke. Are the Burris and vortex article's fine enough for .22lr at 100 to 200yd ranges. What other things should I look for in a scope?
My price range is 200 to 250, but if there is a cheaper option I'm open to opinions.
Old 10-19-2017, 6:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

What size target do you intend to shoot at?

The Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40 is a great option in that budget

The Athlon Talos 4-14x has gotten positive reviews from people I have talked to but the reticle might be a bit busy for you.

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 10-19-2017, 6:43 AM

Side parallax is nicer in my opnion. Vortex® Diamondback HP 1" 3-12x42 Riflescope is a great buy at $189 I have 2 in 4 x 16 with with "V-Plex" retical. I like dead hold better but not $150 better.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/VORTE...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by stevebla; 10-19-2017 at 6:55 AM..
Old 10-19-2017, 7:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Vortex and done. Lifetime warranty, clean glass, AO on most. You will see father than you can shoot. Deals pooping up all the time for them. If you really want to budget I have had especially good luck with the simmons line as well on a .22
Old 10-19-2017, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

Is getting a BDC reticle meant for center fire work for .22lr or stick with a v plex or duplex.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse700 View Post
Is getting a BDC reticle meant for center fire work for .22lr or stick with a v plex or duplex.
No BDC is super accurate to begin with, so regardless of if the BDC is designed for what you are using it with or not you should verify

You should be able to use the Vortex LRBC program or similar to figure out what drop is at stadia mark

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 10-19-2017, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18 on my .22. I can easily shoot (well aim at em) 1/2 dots at 50 yards with that scope. It does have the BDC in it and I haven't played with it to see where the drops hit. I do like the wind hashes though for quick wind holds.

At 100 yards your not really going to shoot at anything smaller than say a 2-3" circle. So again no problem with seeing the target with the BDC.
Old 10-19-2017, 7:08 PM

This little Weaver 6-24x is a pretty nice scope for the $.

Made in Japan. AO focuses down to 50’ or less (markings go down to 50’ but the AO turns down a bit further).

Looks like it should qualify for the $30 VISA card rebate.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-cla...-74-matte.html

Natchez probably isn’t the best price.

If you’re anywhere near Tracy, you are welcome to look thru mine. (It’s not mounted)

-Rick
Old 10-19-2017, 7:11 PM

I second the Vortex Diamondback. I have two on rimfires and one on a Mini 14 and like them a whole lot for the price.
Old 10-19-2017, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone. I am still leaning towards the vortex as I have some Cabelas GC's and I have the choice of amazon due to amazon GC's
Old 10-19-2017, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown View Post
I second the Vortex Diamondback. I have two on rimfires and one on a Mini 14 and like them a whole lot for the price.
Do they have BDC? If so how do they work with .22lr
Old 10-19-2017, 9:02 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Rule #1 - Don't by any scope that doesn't have repeatable windage and elevation adjustments. Never, so that rules out 90% of all scopes

Rule #2 - Don't buy a scope with higher magnification with no Parallax Adjustment. Sure, you may think, I am only shooting to 200 yards, its not a big error.. Well yes, it isn't but it is an error, and it could cost you points, or a gopher or just not satisfy your needs later, like when you drop the scope on a 308 and want to shoot at 600 yards. So forget the fixed parallax now forever.

Rule #3. Do you think in radians or inches....????

Rule #4. clarity of the optics is a big thing. There is a reason a Bushnell is a Bushnell and a Night force is a night force and one commands more money, and even if you pay big bucks for a Bushnell its still not a night force. And that has to do with glass and the quality of the glass which affects many many things you read about but only realize when you are looking out at 1000 yards and see a gopher eating individual blades of grass with a night force but can barely make out the gopher with some other name brand scope.

What do I have on my 22's???? They all have either a 10x or 16x SWFA SS scopes. They have great glass for a cheap scope. They have a horrible eye box, I mean your eye has to absolutely be in that exact single position to see through the darn thing, but they are repeatable, the glass is clear, and they are cheap for the quality of the glass. Not too much distortion either, even at 1000 yards when I used one once on a 308, but that will never happen again because its not cool in prone trying to get the scope lined up. An eyebox on a nightforce is so much more forgiving, as are the bushnells. I also have some Vortex scopes, a few bushnells, Nikons, two leupolds, and some primary arms. The bushnells are also cost effective but the glass is just not there in poorer light or at long distance. The vortex has some distortion on the edges, and the Leopold work excellent, but are more expensive than a nightforce too, but cheaper to change reticles.

With scopes its best to buy as much as you can afford, but don't buy a scope you haven't looked out of unless you like wasting your money.
Old 10-19-2017, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Rule #3. Do you think in radians or inches....????

Everything else you said was great. This however is just simply not true. There is no reason to think in inches or centimeters when your talking about mils vs MOA. This is one of most overstated untrue statements people make to noobs on scopes.

Either mils or MOA are just angular measurements. MOA is finer adjustments, making it great for bullseye style shooting. Mils are larger values meaning less clicks to make adjustments. This is great for quicker follow up shots.
Old 10-19-2017, 9:48 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

What I saying is it's easier to process 1" per MOA per 100 yards than it is to process alll that milrad crap.

Sure, we could all just use trig on the line too. Of, well that's the cosine of the angle times the distance!!!! Lots of things we can do if we are mathematical geniuses, but I stopped after differential equations so I am not that good with numbers.

So I use the kiss method. keep it simple stupid.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 10-19-2017 at 9:50 PM..
Old 10-19-2017, 9:53 PM
Hiraeth Quest
CGN Contributor

Natchezss is having a vortex sale!
-g
https://www.natchezss.com/shop-by-brand/v/vortex.html
Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 PM

OK, normally I would never mention Tasco in a discussion like this, but this is the one exception. Their 6-24 x 44mm is a great target scope. I put one on a bull barrel 1022 years ago and have been seriously impressed. For $150 it is a pretty amazing optic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Here's a great write up on scopes.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=263710

Again, the best way to judge a scope is to use it. It's tough to do but almost any shooter will let u look through his scope. Look out as far as you can with as much magnification as you can to really push the optics.
Old 10-20-2017, 5:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Here's a great write up on scopes.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=263710

Again, the best way to judge a scope is to use it. It's tough to do but almost any shooter will let u look through his scope. Look out as far as you can with as much magnification as you can to really push the optics.
Thanks for that link. I almost want to get a scope that I can practice basics on so I don't have to waste precious .308
Old 10-20-2017, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Do they have BDC? If so how do they work with .22lr
Sorry I don't use bullet drops on 22. I click up and down for 50 or 100 yards. Mine are pretty repeatable.
Old 10-20-2017, 9:11 AM

I have this Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9x40 on my Savage Mark ll.
It is an awesome scope for a 22.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Prostaf...pes+for+rifles

Last edited by 67Cuda; 10-20-2017 at 9:15 AM..
Old 10-21-2017, 1:48 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for that link. I almost want to get a scope that I can practice basics on so I don't have to waste precious .308
Best way to get good is to master a 22 in the wind at 100 or 200 yards.

Definitely 22 is excellent for pistol basics too.