Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-08-2019, 9:28 AM

Default LifeStraw SUCKS

LifeStraw sucks as a stand alone water filtration device. Yes they work and they are better than nothing at all but, there are many better options out there. What do you guys keep in your bug out bags? Or at home even? I want to acquire some better water filtration equipment and I want your ideas. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2019, 9:47 AM

Sawyer with chlorine dioxide tabs. At home and other locations, water storage in blue water barrels with water preserver, large sawyer, Katadyn hiker pro and more tabs. Then a combo of blue water and Puravai. In the car, also blue water, Puravai, sawyer mini and tabs. I have thought of a Berkey but all my preps are based on a mobile situation to some extent.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Those are some great ideas! I will start looking in to the Puravai as I haven't used that before. The Katadyn is freaking awesome though!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Have these in BOB, you can screw a water bottle on it to fill for later. replaceable filter & pre filter. built pretty well IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/Survivor-Filt...ateway&sr=8-10
Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Have these in BOB, you can screw a water bottle on it to fill for later. replaceable filter & pre filter. built pretty well IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/Survivor-Filt...ateway&sr=8-10
I can appreciate that it screws on to canteens and water bottles. Definitely a plus!
Old 05-08-2019, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

For get home bags:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00TOX6U...lig_dp_it&th=1

For longer term:
https://smile.amazon.com/Katadyn-Per...g-goods&sr=1-1
Old 05-08-2019, 4:00 PM

I want to try out one of these. They look fast and light might be convenient for use on the move.
https://grayl.com
Old 05-08-2019, 4:21 PM

Sawyer minis in my bags. Sawyer squeeze for the house and motorhome. Lifestraw is a good marketing company that makes poor filters. I also have some Aquamira Frontier Pro filters for mini bags. They are good for about 20 gallons and very small. I also have chlorine tabs, iodine tabs and potassium permanganate.
Old 05-08-2019, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

thanks for sharing

i got a handful of lifestraws a while back on discount, just to have for immediate need and to give away as gifts, and not part of some prepper strategy. since most of my family can buy their own crap, i tend to give gifts like wind up emergency radios, light sticks and stuff for emergencies.
Old 05-08-2019, 5:18 PM

I have a couple Polar pure bottles. Small, cheap, store well and can treat like 10,000 liters.

Not sure there's another maintenance free system that can treat this much water for under 20 bucks.
Old 05-08-2019, 5:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just another youtube *******. Did he do any lab tests to determine what was filtered out and what was not?

No.

Just gave an opinion out of his ***.

I'm so sick of these self appointed youtube ****s telling everybody what to do. Like all the other posers.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776

Last edited by Featureless; 05-08-2019 at 5:28 PM..
Old 05-08-2019, 5:45 PM

Sawyer Mini. Used one last time I went backpacking and it worked great. Have a few in the bob and a few in the house. Also have some lifestraws.

Would suggest a big pack of coffee filters, too, to pre-clean and extend the life of filters.

Sawyer Products SP128 Mini Water Filtration System, Single, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FA2RLX2..._9w40CbHPHBEA3
Old 05-08-2019, 7:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Some good information and comparisons here: https://theprepared.com/gear/reviews...water-filters/
Old 05-08-2019, 7:45 PM

They may not be the best, but if you got them as gifts for people who aren't already supplied preppers you are still doing a good deed. I do the same and since it's not stuff I'm planning on using and I'm buying multiples I frequently focus on price over perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
thanks for sharing

i got a handful of lifestraws a while back on discount, just to have for immediate need and to give away as gifts, and not part of some prepper strategy. since most of my family can buy their own crap, i tend to give gifts like wind up emergency radios, light sticks and stuff for emergencies.
Old 05-08-2019, 7:57 PM

I swear by the Sawyer mini. No, haven't done any scientific studies - but I use them a lot and have never got sick, so I'll count that as my scientific study. I keep one on my camel-back all the time - I travel cross country on a motorcycle and fill it with water from truck stops and restaurants - that water is probably nastier than pond-water, but I haven't got sick yet.
Old 05-09-2019, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I swear by the Sawyer mini. No, haven't done any scientific studies - but I use them a lot and have never got sick, so I'll count that as my scientific study. I keep one on my camel-back all the time - I travel cross country on a motorcycle and fill it with water from truck stops and restaurants - that water is probably nastier than pond-water, but I haven't got sick yet.
I guess that's where my opinion has come from as well. It's not necessary to do a scientific study when the practicality of the filter is easily weighed against others of a similar design. All the filters remove the contaminants. It's more about what's going to be functional. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-09-2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
thanks for sharing

Hey, this is a great idea for gifts! I got all kinds of spares, will package these up haha!
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Extreme MAGA Republican
CGN Contributor

Sawyer mini FTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...
Old 05-11-2019, 7:38 AM

This. And I also have a Grayl bottle which works on viruses that I use in the more disgusting parts of the world like India. I highly recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Sawyer mini FTW.
Old 05-11-2019, 1:46 PM

Just a heads up. Counterfeit Sawyer minis have made it to Amazon. Be sure to check that you get the real thing.

https://sawyer.com/counterfeit/
Old 05-12-2019, 5:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

tag
Old 05-12-2019, 5:48 AM
Doesn't Abide
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Another option, Katadyn BeFree.

I prefer to use the Sawyer mini and squeeze, but others may want something different.

https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Membr...25635986&psc=1

katadyn.jpg

Last edited by Red-Osier; 05-12-2019 at 6:57 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Sawyer.
Old 05-16-2019, 2:27 PM

Tagged
Old 05-16-2019, 4:16 PM

Just to clarify, I made the video with the intent of it being an opinion piece. The LifeStraw does work as a filtration device and is by far better than no device at all. The main point of the video was just to say that for the price, there are much better options out there. I'll be doing a more thorough comparison video here in the near future. Just for starters, a LifeStraw is rated to filter 4,000 gallons of water where as a Sawyer Mini is rated for 100,000 gallons. I'd say the additional 94,000 gallons is worth $5.00.
Old 05-16-2019, 5:26 PM

OP, keep making more content. What are some other topics you will be covering?
Old 05-17-2019, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
OP, keep making more content. What are some other topics you will be covering?
There will be some videos soon about caliber comparison, reloading, survival skills, range reviews, with a blend of entertainment content related to the survival genre. I will never claim to be an expert and the goal of the channel was to learn more about prepping and survival by testing my knowledge and receiving feedback/criticism from the community. Looking forward to doing more!
Old 05-17-2019, 7:10 AM

On a hunt when all the water drained from my camelback because I set it down and pinched the bite valve, I used a life straw to refill it. It was out of a tiny puddle made by a horse hoof in the mud about 10’ away from a seeping spring. One mouthful at a time, until the camelback was filled. Drank the whole bag and didn’t get sick. So, I carry a life straw in my bak at all times now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverser View Post
This. And I also have a Grayl bottle which works on viruses that I use in the more disgusting parts of the world like India. I highly recommend them.
I was unaware of these. Thanx for posting it.

Just added to my list of stuff to buy and try.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

I had lunch with one of the engineers who make industrial scale versions of this technology a few weeks ago. Asked about the 100,000 gallons claim and he said maybe, but highly unlikely when used for it's intended purpose. The pore permeability suffers from degradation due to contaminants that require acidic solutions to thoroughly remove. The longer they adhere to the surface and embed, that's that much surface area no longer allowing a flow. Plain water back flushes push some debris out, but without an etch, the lifespan is significantly shorter. The acid etches eat away at the material small enough to stick in the pores so back flushes are able to remove the debris. Worse than that is the friction from moving water causes the debris to physically damage the membrane material so that EVERYTHING can eventually get through, and you'll never know it.

I mentioned the lifestraw and he said he trusts that lifespan number more because it's realistic. They all claim to exceed NSF ratings, but none of them are listed on the NSF site, and NSF 53 requires companies prove the filters last as long as they claim, so that 100,000 gallon claim has nothing legally requiring them to prove anything.

I've seen the test docs and results from all of them. What they remove is proven, how long they last is not. Buyer beware.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
I had lunch with one of the engineers who make industrial scale versions of this technology a few weeks ago. Asked about the 100,000 gallons claim and he said maybe, but highly unlikely when used for it's intended purpose. The pore permeability suffers from degradation due to contaminants that require acidic solutions to thoroughly remove. The longer they adhere to the surface and embed, that's that much surface area no longer allowing a flow. Plain water back flushes push some debris out, but without an etch, the lifespan is significantly shorter. The acid etches eat away at the material small enough to stick in the pores so back flushes are able to remove the debris. Worse than that is the friction from moving water causes the debris to physically damage the membrane material so that EVERYTHING can eventually get through, and you'll never know it.

I mentioned the lifestraw and he said he trusts that lifespan number more because it's realistic. They all claim to exceed NSF ratings, but none of them are listed on the NSF site, and NSF 53 requires companies prove the filters last as long as they claim, so that 100,000 gallon claim has nothing legally requiring them to prove anything.

I've seen the test docs and results from all of them. What they remove is proven, how long they last is not. Buyer beware.

Good info sir! I agree that the ratings are probably skewed. Are there any filtration devices that your friend suggested as being better than others?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM

I have both straw and pump.
Straw while on the move with no time to pump.
Pump when hunkered down for a bit, for cooking and carrying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2019, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
Good info sir! I agree that the ratings are probably skewed. Are there any filtration devices that your friend suggested as being better than others?
He didn't mention any specifically. We were discussing the tube membrane technology manufactured by his company that we use at a 1 million gallon per day municipal water treatment plant. I'd seen the flat sheets used by RO systems they made in Vista during a plant tour, and I offhand asked whether they were the same as in the tube membranes in my water bottle. I have one of the $40 lifestraw bottles. He said he knows which company manufactures the membranes for each the portable filter units, and the competition is pretty fierce among the manufacturers, so I'd guess they all meet NSF criteria even if they can't advertise a specific rating.

I was more curious about the high temperature acid washes and how they affected lifespan of the membrane material in the water plant as compared to a wastewater plant we have using the same treatment method to return water used for irrigation. I'm going to be using some of the same units to create a grey water system on our property for fruit tree and garden irrigation and I wanted to know about cleaning and backwashing.

The plants have to run membrane integrity tests on the individual filter assembly units. If the units leak, they use an epoxy to seal the tubes off. If enough get sealed off they dont meet state regs for use in a municipal drinking water plant. They're still fine and have up to 90% of the tubes still functional, they just can't be used in the plant. Theres no way to recycle them, so they're tossed out, but I can get a couple of old units from him for my filter system. I already have a pressure vessel somebody ordered for another site that was undersized so they let me take it. All I need is to find a pump on the cheap, buy some fittings and tube, and bury a tank 7 or 8 feet underground and I have an almost free irrigation and fire suppression system I can use as an emergency water source if my well pump fails.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 05-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
He didn't mention any specifically. We were discussing the tube membrane technology manufactured by his company that we use at a 1 million gallon per day municipal water treatment plant. I'd seen the flat sheets used by RO systems they made in Vista during a plant tour, and I offhand asked whether they were the same as in the tube membranes in my water bottle. I have one of the $40 lifestraw bottles. He said he knows which company manufactures the membranes for each the portable filter units, and the competition is pretty fierce among the manufacturers, so I'd guess they all meet NSF criteria even if they can't advertise a specific rating.

I was more curious about the high temperature acid washes and how they affected lifespan of the membrane material in the water plant as compared to a wastewater plant we have using the same treatment method to return water used for irrigation. I'm going to be using some of the same units to create a grey water system on our property for fruit tree and garden irrigation and I wanted to know about cleaning and backwashing.

The plants have to run membrane integrity tests on the individual filter assembly units. If the units leak, they use an epoxy to seal the tubes off. If enough get sealed off they dont meet state regs for use in a municipal drinking water plant. They're still fine and have up to 90% of the tubes still functional, they just can't be used in the plant. Theres no way to recycle them, so they're tossed out, but I can get a couple of old units from him for my filter system. I already have a pressure vessel somebody ordered for another site that was undersized so they let me take it. All I need is to find a pump on the cheap, buy some fittings and tube, and bury a tank 7 or 8 feet underground and I have an almost free irrigation and fire suppression system I can use as an emergency water source if my well pump fails.
Good to know! I have an RO system in my house right now which works really well. It's incredible the difference I've seen since getting off of city water. Plus, it's extremely nice to have a 200 gallon reservoir in my basement ready for anything.
Old 05-18-2019, 3:45 PM

Here is a great pack filter that takes care of radiation and heavy metals. I don't think it gets virus or biologicals though. So you'd have to boil the water then filter it. It's kind of specific but fairly cheap.

http://www.seychelle.com/buy#!/Drink...egory=25951804
Old 05-18-2019, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
Good to know! I have an RO system in my house right now which works really well. It's incredible the difference I've seen since getting off of city water. Plus, it's extremely nice to have a 200 gallon reservoir in my basement ready for anything.
Having your own water source is critical.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 05-19-2019, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I learned from a guy who went through the Katrina disaster.... now I always put a few of these single-serve Emergency Drinking Water Pouches in my vehicles, bobs, offices, hiking jackets, etc.

They are lightweight and easy to carry. Not a mean to replace emergency water supply, but to buy us some time.....

Old 05-26-2019, 6:19 PM

OK everybody, I decided to make a more informative video about the differences between the Sawyer Mini and the LifeStraw in order to appease some of my harsher critics. Don't mind the water test, it was bound to be a dud but, felt like it was worth looking in to. Let me know what you think!
Old 06-12-2019, 9:52 PM

That sucks. I just bought one last week.
Old 06-13-2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo25 View Post
That sucks. I just bought one last week.
Don't sweat it. They are better than nothing. Just keep an eye out for sawyer to go on sale. It's always good to have a backup.