Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2019, 9:16 AM

Default Bolt action pistol?

So I am looking at this specifically:

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/28...-up-one-pistol

They are built on virgin receivers, so they have never been registered as a rifle and the use of a brace makes it so that they are not considered a rifle either.

I am just confused as to whether or not they can be bought by a regular citizen as they have not been sent for drop testing. I am unsure if it needs to be as it is not considered semi-automatic.
Old 06-07-2019, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn1stknightsoul View Post

They are built on virgin receivers, so they have never been registered as a rifle and the use of a brace makes it so that they are not considered a rifle either.

I am just confused as to whether or not they can be bought by a regular citizen as they have not been sent for drop testing. I am unsure if it needs to be as it is not considered semi-automatic.
That is a thing of beauty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 9:57 AM

Looks cool.

Bolt action? Check.
Dimensionally complaint? Appears so.
Single shot with fixed sled appears to be the mod that would be needed for SSE2 pistol DROS/registration.
Old 06-07-2019, 9:59 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Should be roster exempt since it is bolt action with barrel over 7.5" and OAL looks well over 10.5" even without any stock.

But the "arm brace" is a big YMMV in CA. CA don't care much about what the feds think is legal. I personally wouldn't run one here.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
But the "arm brace" is a big YMMV in CA. CA don't care much about what the feds think is legal. I personally wouldn't run one here.
Franklin Armory had this to say about braces in the CA7 thread; I haven't seen the verification they mention, but FA has always done their due diligence on the legal side for their products:

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
Additionally, braces, such as those made by SB Tactical, are perfectly fine to use on your California pistols. The only reason we did not use a brace on our original submission was because it was unclear if it was legal to do so at the time. That matter has since been verified.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

How does that differ from a shoulder stock?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Block View Post
How does that differ from a shoulder stock?
The brace is designed not to be shouldered and fired like a shoulder stock but rather you would slip your arm through and it straps to your forearm. Like so:

https://d17vbo0xqy9ydb.cloudfront.ne...500x1500px.jpg
Old 06-07-2019, 12:27 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasPRK View Post
Bolt action? Check.
Dimensionally complaint? Appears so.
Single shot with fixed sled appears to be the mod that would be needed for SSE2 pistol DROS/registration.
And, while in CA, it must be kept configured as a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol (SSE2) in order to remain CA legal.

Per CA DOJ BOF modifying the SSE2 pistol into a different configuration, including a bolt-action repeating pistol, would be making an unsafe handgun.

bolt-action single-shot = bolt-action that has no magazine capacity with single cartridge loaded into the chamber.
bolt-action repeating = bolt-action that has a magazine capacity.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-07-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
And, while in CA, it must be kept configured as a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol (SSE2) in order to remain CA legal.

Per CA DOJ BOF modifying the SSE2 pistol into a different configuration, including a bolt-action repeating pistol, would be making an unsafe handgun.

bolt-action single-shot = bolt-action that has no magazine capacity with single cartridge loaded into the chamber.
bolt-action repeating = bolt-action that has a magazine capacity.
Is the option to re-DROS into a repeating action no longer an option? Similar to how SSE 1 owners did?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:32 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Is the option to re-DROS into a repeating action no longer an option? Similar to how SSE 1 owners did?
Nope.

Note that the Franklin Armory CA7 is a bolt-action repeating pistol (which is why it had to get listed on the Roster so it could be sold by CA FFL dealers) and not a SSE2 pistol. Which is why CA DOJ BOF is allowing them to be legally modified into other configurations (including semi-auto with fixed 10 round magazine).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 06-07-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 PM
retired Goon

Quote:

Like the Remington 700CP, the firearm in the link is a bolt-action repeating pistol.

It is not listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale and, in it's factory format, it does not meet the SSE2.
Therefore, it can only be transferred via exemption (LEO sale, PPT, etc).

It can be modified to meet SSE2 by making it into a single-shot by installing a fixed 0 round magazine/sled that is contained in the firearm and it can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or it is permanently attached in the firearm's magazine well.

Per CA DOJ BOF, in order to remain CA legal, a SSE2 pistol needs to remain configured as such while it is in CA.

The only thing preventing the firearm in the link and the Remington 700CP, in their factory form (bolt-action repeating pistol), from being listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale, is the manufacturer needing to submit it for testing.
If it passes the testing, then it can be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale and be sold by CA FFL dealers.