Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Default 25 vs heavy 22

I've got a Hatsan AT-44. They make the same rifle in .177, .22 and .25. I have thought about upping my setup to the .25 but I found some heavy .22 pellets that shoot great out of my current rifle. Other than the better BC of a .22 at the same weight of a .25 (assuming the same pellet shape), is there any real advantage to the .25? The .25 comes out slower already so I'm guessing the power plant is all the same -- just different barrels.
Old 02-21-2019, 9:37 AM

When you discuss "advantage" it helps to understand what purpose. Is this for target shooting (and what range and wind conditions), or rodent population control? My first guess would be to stick with .22 with the heavier pellet. Like you said, when the weight is the same as the .25 but the .22 has more FPS than the .25's configuration, that .22 is going to have more FPE. Better for both rodent control and target shooting. But likely a bit louder. How much, I don't know. From what you describe, I'd stick with the .22 unless something really changes to give the .25 a more serious advantage. Right now, I don't see that.
Old 02-24-2019, 4:56 AM

In todays air rifle world the 22 cal is the new high power rifle , it's pellet selection is better with custom pellets being offered in a lot of different grains, I have all calibers and unless you are hunting big game and need the big hitters, I think the 22 is the best bang for the buck
Old 02-24-2019, 4:21 PM

Even with the same power plant the 25 will make more energy
Old 02-25-2019, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
When you discuss "advantage" it helps to understand what purpose. Is this for target shooting (and what range and wind conditions), or rodent population control? My first guess would be to stick with .22 with the heavier pellet. Like you said, when the weight is the same as the .25 but the .22 has more FPS than the .25's configuration, that .22 is going to have more FPE. Better for both rodent control and target shooting. But likely a bit louder. How much, I don't know. From what you describe, I'd stick with the .22 unless something really changes to give the .25 a more serious advantage. Right now, I don't see that.
I learned a hard lesson about turkey hunting with pellet guns last year so I'm overcompensating. Long story short, I learned that pellets suck at any distance -- hits don't count if they don't penetrate. I mistakenly thought that because I've gotten complete pass-throughs on pigeons at 65+ yards, that I'd still be able to penetrate a turkey's skull at the same range.

While I won't be taking any 50-yard turkey shots again, I'd like some extra power to be able to stretch the range from 20 yards to maybe 25 or 30 yards. My scope mount is fairly high so those really close distances are difficult to manage. A little extra insurance on the further distances gives me a lot more flexibility than trying to take an iffy shot at 10 yards or less. Hope that makes a little sense.
Old 03-01-2019, 2:55 PM

My Hatsan at44s in 22 and 25 at 50 and 75 yards penetrate 18 ga steel like it’s paper. Not sure how hard a turkeys head is but it’s not 18 ha steel

Don’t shoot your car door with a Hatsan at 50 yards. You’ll have a hole to fill.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:56 AM
CGSSA Leader

I disagree, the .25 is still gonna deliver more energy and "remove" more material from the target, bigger hole means more blood flow, most .177 and .22 are the same powerplant, the .25 versions are usually upgraded versions of the smaller siblings, i.e. bigger tubes, higher flowing air valves and such.
The .25s usually eat much more air than the smaller calibers, up to 50% more in some cases, I have a .22 PCP and I have the .25 also, same gun name, but the internals are very different in terms of power/air consumption.
The .25 hits with more authority than does the .22 going at the same speed even a 50 fps spread doesn't tip the scales either.
Old 03-05-2019, 8:44 AM

.25 will have higher FPE at the muzzle. However, it was proven at the EBR this past year that these high power .22cal rifles had much better ballistic co-efficiency over the .25 and .30cal rifles.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corerftech View Post
My Hatsan at44s in 22 and 25 at 50 and 75 yards penetrate 18 ga steel like it’s paper. Not sure how hard a turkeys head is but it’s not 18 ha steel

Don’t shoot your car door with a Hatsan at 50 yards. You’ll have a hole to fill.
Yet there it was -- fast asleep, still standing without a mark on its head while 4 of us puzzled over the situation before ending it with a pocket knife.
Old 04-21-2019, 8:20 AM
CGSSA Leader

Saw a YT video where a duck was smacked right in the back of the head with a .25, the shot was a little low but dead center, the pellet bounced off his head like it ricochetted off of a rock, the duck wasn't even phased, it just stood there carrying on as normal, the guy took a second shot and aimed a little higher and again smacked it dead center, the duck dropped right there. Then a few seconds later started flailing around already dead.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
I've got a Hatsan AT-44. They make the same rifle in .177, .22 and .25. I have thought about upping my setup to the .25 but I found some heavy .22 pellets that shoot great out of my current rifle. Other than the better BC of a .22 at the same weight of a .25 (assuming the same pellet shape), is there any real advantage to the .25? The .25 comes out slower already so I'm guessing the power plant is all the same -- just different barrels.
I own the Hatsan AT-44 in both .22 and .25. The .25 using JSB 25.29 Pellets hits clearly harder then the .22 hitting the same Aluminum target. the .25 rifle is designed to release a larger shot of air to push the heavier pellet. Thats why you get less shots per fill in a .25 vs the .22. Both awesome accurate rifles.
Old 04-26-2019, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roush2win View Post
I own the Hatsan AT-44 in both .22 and .25. The .25 using JSB 25.29 Pellets hits clearly harder then the .22 hitting the same Aluminum target. the .25 rifle is designed to release a larger shot of air to push the heavier pellet. Thats why you get less shots per fill in a .25 vs the .22. Both awesome accurate rifles.
Thanks for your input. That's exactly the information I was looking for.
Old 04-30-2019, 9:30 PM
CGSSA Leader

My. 25 shooting 34gr JSB Heavy Mkll penetrates empty propane cylinders, that's serious power, with a JSB 25.39 great I'm getting 43 ft lbs, that's 865 fps roughly. My. 22 on the other hand is putting out around 28 ft lbs with the JSB 18.13 gr , I made an 84 yd shot with these pellets, in my. 22 they fly arrow straight.