Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 07-08-2013, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Default You guys that have SLOSA are spoiled.

A little background, I went to university in SLO and my wife and I miss living there so much. I could go on about why SLO is the best area in the state to live. My bias shows.

But you SLOSA guys have such a good thing going. Your range is inexpensive, it's 10 minutes out of town by car, right off the freeway, your RSO's are CASUAL, your RSO's are polite and helpful. You have steels and paper out to 300, and a few targets out at 700 yards.

Your range is great, and it makes me wish we could move back to SLO.
Old 07-10-2013, 9:54 PM

My son starts school at cal poly this fall I told not to worry about coming home on weekends I'll come stay there and rent a room.
Old 07-11-2013, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

And occasionally they have a fire from someone shooting steel core at those steel targets.. how do I know this? When I went to the IRC in early June, I arrived to a hill that was blackened and there were several fire trucks and a dozer on the property... Otherwise, yes, it is a pretty nice range.
Old 07-11-2013, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

yeah, hill to the right of the range was burned, I assumed they just had a controlled burn or something.

That doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't take away from the range.

Pyro, your son picked an excellent school. (get ready for more bias) I believe it is the best deal in the state with respect to the quality of education you get vs your dollar. There are companies out there that preferentially recruit out of cal poly over more expensive schools like Berkeley and the like.

to heck with having him come home on a weekend or two, those were fun road trips. If he figures out a way to stay there during the SUMMER, that's where it is at. If you have the money to take a class or two and pay rent, you have the time left over for a part time job and part time surfing or hiking or the like. One year I even took vocational welding at Cuesta college to round out my mettallurgy/welding inspection engineering coursework at poly. Part time job working on cars or at a machine shop.

What a great town.
Old 08-29-2013, 7:00 PM

The wife and I met in SLO while attending school many moons ago, and love it there. In fact, heading there this weekend.

SLOSA still a friendly range for OLL owners?
Old 08-29-2013, 7:04 PM

I left SLO in November

Definitely true about the job opportunities coming out of there as well as the education for your $.

SLOSA was definitely a huge bonus to going there even though I never went after they put the steel at 700 I do have to say that while SLOSA was still better, my current deal out here is pretty sweet. The range goes to 125 yards and the city hall gives you a key so that you can get in whenever you like. There are no hours, no ROs, and there's yet to be another person there with me and my buddy (and it costs $40 a year).

As far as I know (although it's been a few months) SLOSA is still friendly to anything that's legal (other than shooting shotguns at the plywood targets).

Enjoy!
Old 08-31-2013, 3:14 PM

Excellent. Heading there tomorrow AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro22 View Post
My son starts school at cal poly this fall I told not to worry about coming home on weekends I'll come stay there and rent a room.

Genius idea.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:39 PM

I graduated from cal poly 2 years ago and I miss SLOSA so much. When i still had friends up there I used to drive the 200 miles there just to shoot with them. Angeles or Burro is nothing like SLOSA.

I knew some of the guys that worked there. The RSOs were all great casual guys that just loved shooting guns. VERY lenient on gun laws... very reloader friendly. The guys that knew i reloaded would help swipe the all brass to me! Even cases that weren't mine, with owners consent of course.... that's awesome. Angeles they freaken sweep my brass WHILE im picking it up. *******s. miss SLOSA..
Old 09-22-2013, 1:43 AM

I have been shooting/hunting for 30 years now. I was never a fan of going to the range. Just seemed boring to me, since most ranges have a max of 100 yards. I have lived in the SLO area for 5 years now, and I have never gone through so much ammo in my life. I love that range. Went last Monday and I was shooting by myself for 45 min. Which was awesome since I was working up some hand loads. Just let the RSO know when I wanted to go downrange and he turned the light on for me. Super casual. Plus, where can you go to shoot steel at 700 yards? Oh, and they have a night shoot now too. Cool to see the muzzle flash and sparks coming off the steel at night.
Old 10-25-2013, 8:36 AM

Does anyone know their hours/prices for the public range and also what kind of events they do there? I am new in town, I live like 8 minutes from this range, I have been meaning to get down there, possibly put in an application.

I went to rangemasters, I was severely disappointed. I am sure I don't need to explain why to any locals.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 AM

The public range is open from 8-4 Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and 6-9PM Thursday and Friday.

Shoot all you want for $10 non-members, and $5 members.

Membership is $50 per year and includes immediate family.

There are too many events to list here, but you can go to www.slosa.org and see for yourself.
Old 11-17-2013, 4:51 PM

My husband and I are in town at Morro Bay for a few days for our second anniversary. We stopped there today to check it out because we want to go shoot some steel tomorrow. Can't wait. It's a great place! I wish we lived closer!
Old 12-13-2013, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

If any of you are in the area on the fourth Sunday of the month, consider shooting our Central Coast Rimfire match at SLOSA's Hogue Range.

Registration for kids and first timers is free. If you don't have a .22 rifle or pistol we'll loan you one. Depending on squad sizes it takes 3-4 hours and about 190 rounds. Bring the family.

It really will clear your head!

https://www.facebook.com/CentralCoastRimfire

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 12-13-2013, 8:27 PM

slosa is my FAVORITE RANGE. steel core there is awesome at night! shotgun side is sexy as well. great RO and awesome pricing.
Old 12-23-2013, 9:52 AM

I'm thinking of making it a weekend getaway for the wife and I. Can any of you suggest a good hotel that's not going to break the bank.. Driving from no.county San Diego...

101st ABN DIV 81-84
2/327th inf. "No Slack"
Trample the weak . . . hurdle the dead!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

blue sail inn in Morro Bay.

Also you can find cheap B&B in Los Osos with ocean views even.
Old 12-27-2013, 5:51 AM

El Morro Masterpiece. Amazing.
Especially the penthouse.
Old 12-28-2013, 1:20 AM

My brother runs a nice hotel in SLO and a buddy runs one in Pismo. Anyone thinking of visiting, feel free to drop me a line and I'll see what kind of rates I can get you.

Last edited by surfninja; 12-28-2013 at 1:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention Pismo as well.