Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:51 PM

Default Will being color blind hinder becoming a LEO?

I was wondering if being red/green color blind will affect me trying to become an officer. It doesn't really effect my day to day life, just during the color splash test and when the wife wants to repaint a room. Other than that I really do not have any issues. I want to know before I shell out the money for the Butte Academy.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Calguns Addict

It varies by agency, but it could make things difficult. Check with the agencies that interest you and find out their policies.

Best of luck

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohnson View Post
I was wondering if being red/green color blind will affect me trying to become an officer. It doesn't really effect my day to day life, just during the color splash test and when the wife wants to repaint a room. Other than that I really do not have any issues. I want to know before I shell out the money for the Butte Academy.

Thanks in advance!
It depends on "how much" color deficiency you suffer from. When taking the test with the traditional Ishihara color plate test, the navy for example considers a "failing" score to be more than two plates read incorrectly on the 14-plate test. There is also a 10, 24 and full 38 plate test. Most places only test people with the 14 plate test, like police departments, the FAA and so on. (When the term "plate" is used as in "color plates," that means those funny looking LSD-influenced like colored dots that have a number within other colored dots on a sheet of paper).

For example and of the top of my head, the FAA considers a "fail" to be missing just under half of each respective test plate. Example, IIRC one can miss something like 6 or 7 plates on the 14-plate test. Again, I don't recall the exact number but I did research it years ago. I can't recall the exact number anymore without digging up the current FAA "Guide for aviation medical examiners" book, which is available online to peruse through at your leisure. However that high miss rate number means that one has a pretty darn good chance of actually passing the test! Each city/county requiremet for employment is different though, so you'll have to research it.

Why the navy would have a higher threshold to pass the test than the FAA for pilots, has always blown me away. Also, the FAA for example has different color vision requirements for pilots than air traffic controllers.

I'm using the FAA here only as an example to show you that there are potential employers out there for all sorts of careers that have several "options" to go to when it comes to color vision tests.

Go see a real eye doctor (ophthalmologist — Eye M.D.) and NOT an "optometrist." An optometrist is not a medical doctor. If you fail a color vision test during an application process, an ophthalmologist can help you with these alternative color vision tests that may be easier for you to pass on appeal to a municipal law enforcement agency.

If you can't see the most predominantly used color test (Ishihara), there are some alternative color vision tests that are accepted by many entities (employers):

-The Dvorak pseudoisochromatic test plates (supposedly easier than Ishihara plates but harder to find a medical office that uses it).

-Farnsworth-Munsell test
-AOC-HRR test (which many entities are using instead of the Ishihara plates, but some think to be more difficult for red/green deficiencies).

-Richmond pseudoisochromatic plates.

-Titus vision tester.

There are others that are accepted out there as well, I only listed a few.

I must stress however that while some of these tests may be acceptable alternatives on an appeal, some may NOT be acceptable at all. It all depends on the specific employer.

Many times when one fails a color vision test, a simple letter from an approved eye M.D. with results of an alternative test will suffice in getting a "passing" grade to continue with an application process. This goes for not just color vision, but other medical concerns that may come up.

For example, a good friend of mine wanted to be a cop. He applied to a local department and during a physical, the city doctor informed him that he had a "heart murmur" and was disqualified from the application process. Determined, he went to a cardiologist who gave him more tests and a letter stating to the effect that he was "fit" to become a cop and was not hindered with any heart condition that would affect performance as a police officer. With the letter, he appealed to the city and they allowed him to continue with the application process until he entered the academy. He's been a cop for years now.

I know a few others who had similar stories over the years that had different medical concerns, that just turned out to be weird anomalies.

So keep trying until you find a test you can pass and that's accepted by an employer. You have nothing to lose. Also, if one department says "no," another department may say "yes." They're all different.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 06-26-2017 at 11:49 PM..
Old 06-27-2017, 1:04 AM

Thank you for the responses, I got a couple PMs as well which were very helpful. I now have a few options to investigate. Thank you again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 4:30 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I forget the agency, but one of them that I applied to had the "put these dots in a row from lightest to darkest" test instead of the Ishihara. I have no clue what the name of it is.
Old 06-27-2017, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

I didn't have to take a color blindness test, only a vision exam to determine if I had to where corrective lenses on duty. I've wore glasses since the 8th grade so no surprise when they said it was required gear for me.

I could definitely see how having some colorblindness could be an issue when it comes to looking for/reporting suspect/vehicle descriptions. If you're unable to tell the difference between shades of red for instance, you may not be able to give a very good description of a car that is, say, burnt orange.

As others have said, it really depends on the agency, and what within the world of LE you want to do. There are plenty of different types of LEOs in CA and the requirements for these different jobs vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:31 PM

I know a guy that was told no by my department and got picked up by an agency who let him slide on his colorblindness (also red/green, IIRC). He Applied as a lateral for us and we picked him up. Not sure how that all worked. It did though.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. After a few years of being a cop you'll see things in black or white anyways.
Old 06-27-2017, 3:34 PM

You can try asking the various agencies before you apply. That way you don't waste your time or get a bunch of rejections. My Buddy is colorblind and he has been applying to Fire agencies for years. LA told him no and that it was a permanent disqualifier, but he managed to get hired by Long Beach with a DRs note.
Old 06-27-2017, 4:48 PM

There is a difference between color blind and color deficient. In aviation you can get a waiver if it's a deficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-28-2017, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation650 View Post
There is a difference between color blind and color deficient. In aviation you can get a waiver if it's a deficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sadly, the FAA no longer issues the waiver for color deficiencies. It was known as a "SODA" letter (Statement Of Demonstrated Ability). Those that currently possess a SODA were grandfathered in and may keep the waiver. However IIRC it was around 2013 when the FAA's official position changed to a "no more waivers" policy by one's own private eye doctor, in order to get through the accepted color blind testing. This was bad news for new and inspiring potential pilots and air traffic controllers.

On a side note and some worthless trivia here....

This FAA's decision was all due to a FedEx crash in Florida about 10 years earlier and all the studies and investigations that were done subsequently for the ten or so years after the accident. It was discovered from the accident that the co-pilot was unable to distinguish certain colors on the gauges and instruments in the cockpit. Today if one can't pass the color tests, one can do a one time only light gun test, followed by a flight with an FAA FSDO guy who will test your color abilities during the flight. If you fail just one light gun signal or a color with the FSDO guy, you're out for life. No second chances. The FAA is super strict with this rule now thanks to the FedEx crash.

With the FAA today, it's now either pass one of the accepted color tests outright, or its "No-Dice" with ever getting an FAA medical certificate for flight.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 06-28-2017 at 4:50 PM..
Old 06-28-2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp113530 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. After a few years of being a cop you'll see things in black or white anyways.

LOL!
Old 06-28-2017, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

One of my younger brothers is a sheriff's deputy and is red/green colorblind

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 06-29-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Sadly, the FAA no longer issues the waiver for color deficiencies. It was known as a "SODA" letter (Statement Of Demonstrated Ability). Those that currently possess a SODA were grandfathered in and may keep the waiver. However IIRC it was around 2013 when the FAA's official position changed to a "no more waivers" policy by one's own private eye doctor, in order to get through the accepted color blind testing. This was bad news for new and inspiring potential pilots and air traffic controllers.

On a side note and some worthless trivia here....

This FAA's decision was all due to a FedEx crash in Florida about 10 years earlier and all the studies and investigations that were done subsequently for the ten or so years after the accident. It was discovered from the accident that the co-pilot was unable to distinguish certain colors on the gauges and instruments in the cockpit. Today if one can't pass the color tests, one can do a one time only light gun test, followed by a flight with an FAA FSDO guy who will test your color abilities during the flight. If you fail just one light gun signal or a color with the FSDO guy, you're out for life. No second chances. The FAA is super strict with this rule now thanks to the FedEx crash.

With the FAA today, it's now either pass one of the accepted color tests outright, or its "No-Dice" with ever getting an FAA medical certificate for flight.
Are you an AME?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

http://enchroma.com/
Glasses for color blindness
Old 07-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruwrx View Post
Are you an AME?
No.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 07-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

"Suspect wearing a brown, no green shirt...with yellow shoes...wait, maybe they were light green...last seen in a 2002 green Honda Accord, possibly brown..."

I'm colorblind and joke about these scenarios all the time.
Old 07-08-2017, 6:22 PM

Easy question. Yes is your answer.
Old 07-20-2017, 8:00 PM

Thanks guys! I am reaching out to a few agencies.
Old 07-20-2017, 8:18 PM

Yes it can, it will get you disqualified with most agencies.

Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) is the training and testing authority for most agencies in Ca. This is a very good resource for anyone interested in becoming a Police Officer or such.

CA POST has a published guideline for medical testing recommendations, including vision testing:

https://www.post.ca.gov/medical-screening-manual.aspx

This is the one just for vision guidelines.

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...n%20Deficiency
Old 07-21-2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
http://enchroma.com/
Glasses for color blindness
I wonder if they make these for contacts?
Old 07-22-2017, 9:25 PM

Guy next to me in the Academy got pulled after his first day; his agency got the report from his doc late and it said he was colorblind.
Old 07-22-2017, 9:40 PM
Banned

At least you'll never be accused of being raccisst in your actions.
Old 07-22-2017, 9:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have to ask.... why are you self sponsoring for the academy?

Lots of agencies are hiring and will put you through on their dime....

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 07-22-2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I have to ask.... why are you self sponsoring for the academy?

Lots of agencies are hiring and will put you through on their dime....
Because hes color blind. He will fail the medical. So...he is trying to one up the system and by self sponsoring he could use that as a leg to stand on when he applies by saying "hey mr. local agency, Ive already completed an academy. Yall should hire me." Seen it many times. Good luck buddy.
Old 08-19-2017, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack Jaw View Post
Because hes color blind. He will fail the medical. So...he is trying to one up the system and by self sponsoring he could use that as a leg to stand on when he applies by saying "hey mr. local agency, Ive already completed an academy. Yall should hire me." Seen it many times. Good luck buddy.
One can go through an academy (like a community college type), but that doesn't mean they will meet the medical minimum requirements of a government agency.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-19-2017, 9:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default color blind/defecient

The most common color deficiency is "red green"

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/c...pic-overview#1

In my professional experience, the majority of law enforcement agencies will disqualify you if you are color deficient. There is an "x-chrome" (red) contact) lens that you can wear in one eye which will allow you to pass the color test.
Some employment agencies will issue you a waiver if you can successfully wear this lens. I have examined and fitted several of these lenses in my career,
https://www.daviseyecare.com/special...ontact-lenses/