Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-16-2019, 8:32 PM

Default Fishfinder?

OK, team, I know this is not a fishing forum. But this is the only forum I currently belong to, and I don’t want to sign up for some other damn thing. I thought I would put this out here to see if there are any fisherman who run boats with fishfinders.

After a many year hiatus, filling my time with raising children, workin my *** off, pleasing the wife, hunting, shooting sports… I have returned to the fine art of fishing. I spent the spring and the summer stalking the elusive trout – mostly rainbows, but sometimes the browns and the brookies. That has always been my quarry, nothing better than a still mountain lake or a fresh running river.

This summer I’ve picked up a bunch of trout - a few catfish, bluegills, crappie and have started to catch bass. I hear the kokanee are hitting hard this time of year. I used to fish the Kings in the Puget Sound as a boy.

Recently I picked up an itty bitty two man fishing boat ( Bass Hunter, maybe you know it) and have been fishin the **** out of the local lakes, reservoirs, ponds and rivers. I have also begun to revive my father-in-law’s 16 foot aluminum. As the fish went deeper, Ive picked up a couple of lightweight manual downriggers. Now Im thinking of fishfinders.

I’ve done a fair amount of research and I’ve decided I’m going with a humminbird. I’m going to set it up so I can fish it on both boats. It is amazing where the technology has gone in the past few years. The model Ive settled into is the helix 8 with side imaging mega+ and all the bells and whistles. I thought I would pause, back up and check in to see if I am going overboard.

Will I really use all of the side imaging, mega awesomeness, or will I be served just as well with a much much cheaper unit? That much cheaper unit is still going to set me back about 5 or 600 bucks. I am a buy once, cry once kind of guy these days, I’ve got the budget, and I dont want to be wishing I’d gotten something better come spring. Should I just go for it?

My real question here is, am I going to be able to capitalize on all of the higher end options as my fishing progresses? I’m not intending to fish tournaments, but I am intending to fish everything. Are u guys getting the mileage out of the mega side imaging for structure and all of that?

Thanks for the input, fellas, tight lines!

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-16-2019, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yes go for it.

The oft quoted advice here about what you should pay for the glass when you buy a rifle is similar.

It should have GPS too or get one of those as well.

Pronouns: "Dude" and "Playa".

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.
Old 08-16-2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Yes go for it.

The oft quoted advice here about what you should pay for the glass when you buy a rifle is similar.
That exact thought had occurred to me.

It also reminded me of this one:
“ The cost of the rifle is nothing compared to everything else .”

-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by adamjay; 08-16-2019 at 8:59 PM..
Old 08-16-2019, 9:05 PM

By the way, apparently guys in the south do very well hunting waterfowl in these little boats.

I got a screamin good deal on the boat...

Reminds me if this one :
“Honey, I had to buy the rifle...I had some ammo for it.”

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-16-2019, 9:10 PM

I upgraded to humminbird sidescan and couldn’t be happier. Do it. I fish saltwater and dive. Once you get used to reading it it’s like looking under water.
Old 08-16-2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
I upgraded to humminbird sidescan and couldn’t be happier. Do it. I fish saltwater and dive. Once you get used to reading it it’s like looking under water.
I was afraid you would say something like this. Thank you.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-17-2019, 5:43 AM

I agree with the others concerning the multiple features. You will want one with the best resolution for the money (more pixels or dpi). You might want to check to see if you can use the side scan either thru the hull or on a separate transducer holder, otherwise, the side scan transducer might have to be mounted on an electric trolling motor. This will not work if you are trolling with downriggers with your gas motor. Finally, I had good luck with Lowrance. I always thought the resolution ws better. Tight lines to you and the kids.
Old 08-17-2019, 6:13 AM

I have a Helix 5 basic model it has stood up to heat and sun for about three years. I sometimes wish for a more advanced unit. Get your new toy and enjoy your boats.
Old 08-17-2019, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
This
Old 08-17-2019, 7:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Go to bloodydecks no fisherman here that can walk and chew gum. (LOL) I have a Furuno on mine with gps. 197f
Old 08-17-2019, 8:09 AM

Honestly i have never purchased a fish finder for more than $150. So the cheaper one should be fine imho. Just because you see fish on the finder dont mean there gonna bite. So no need for nothing fancy, but if you want a good one than go for it!
Old 08-17-2019, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Helix 12 Mega Chirp on my fishing boat. GPS is. Must a as is Side imaging if running around in the Delta or more importantly marking your spots . Tuning the Sonar is the art it's not hard but can be a task. In the Mega Chirp mode my Finder can show the definition of a larger fish around a Bait ball , the Props on boats in the Marina or The rigging and definition of a Sunken sail boat we found on the bay once. It wont put more fish in the boat but will show you the structure and things you need to see to get on the fish and that's half of fishing. If anything I'd buy once cry once and Get the best one you can or want . Basspro just had a deal where you get points for purchases for buying larger items and Getting a Bass pro card . 24 months zero interest I ended up getting 300 dollars or more worth of points with the purchase. They also have a 3 year warranty Pretty. Cheap for replacement of the Unit. If it fails for any reason bring it in and change it out. Well worth it when your talking high dollar boat electronics .

Last edited by dozer wright; 08-17-2019 at 8:49 PM..
Old 08-18-2019, 7:26 AM

Garmin is hard to beat for features and cost. I am running all Garmin and along with livescope... Amazing.

I had a lowrance elite ti and another lowrance in the past. Currently I have 2 echomap plus units, one striker, and a couple monochrome units. I can still catch fish with a basic or livescope. Use the advantage that they give you.

Don't buy with regret. I would get the highest resolution I could afford. Then features. I don't use sidescan as much as I thought I would. I have been using fish finders for years and the newest cool thing is livescope. You see the fish, you can probably catch them. You see if they are active and how they like your lure bait.

HB is trusted and their hires screens are amazing. You need to get mega, period. That will keep you satisfied for some time... Of not, go to Garmin. You can get all the features for less than the other brands. Garmin is really taking over this market.

My fishing and Outdoors channel on YouTube http://YouTube.com/JaimeAstin
Old 08-18-2019, 8:14 AM

My Dad (in the midwest) was a high-end Lowrance guy for decades. His console unit died and he just got another Lowrance (their latest series), only to get supremely frustrated with it. He ditched it and just swapped out for all Humminbird this year. He runs both a console (transom mount transducer) and a bow unit (trolling motor integral transducer) which are linked together. He's very happy with them.
Old 08-18-2019, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

That helix 8 is a great unit, but for what you want it for, it's like hunting hummingbirds with an elephant gun. A much cheaper unit will do everything you need and more. Just my .02.
Old 08-18-2019, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalArkansas View Post
Garmin is hard to beat for features and cost. I am running all Garmin and along with livescope... Amazing.

I had a lowrance elite ti and another lowrance in the past. Currently I have 2 echomap plus units, one striker, and a couple monochrome units. I can still catch fish with a basic or livescope. Use the advantage that they give you.

Don't buy with regret. I would get the highest resolution I could afford. Then features. I don't use sidescan as much as I thought I would. I have been using fish finders for years and the newest cool thing is livescope. You see the fish, you can probably catch them. You see if they are active and how they like your lure bait.

HB is trusted and their hires screens are amazing. You need to get mega, period. That will keep you satisfied for some time... Of not, go to Garmin. You can get all the features for less than the other brands. Garmin is really taking over this market.

Oh my,

taking over this market is right.

New electronics is on my list as well but a couple of discretionary expenditures out so i checked into what your'e saying about Garmin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-TtJcEQmB0

I'd drop $2,500 on fishing equipment way sooner than i would on a gun.

Old 10-25-2019, 8:13 AM

Just thought I would come back to conclude the thread. I did go with the bells and whistles - got the Humminbird Helix 8 Chirp Mega SI+ GPS G3N. Im glad I pulled out the stops and got this one. It’s gonna take quite a bit of learning to really get the most out of this thing, but I’m already getting alot out of it. The side imaging is definitely worth it! As my fishing technique and quarry progresses, I am sure this unit will keep well ahead of me in its capabilities.

I went with the pole and beam mount kit from fishfindermounts.com, what an awesome unit. I can quickly switch the whole setup between my Bass Hunter, the 16’ aluminum, and my kayak. I installed kayak style geartrack on all 3 boats and its only a couple minutes to switch boats or pack it away for transport.

Thanks for your input everybody, I appreciate your opinions. Has this unit made me a better fisherman - no. But it has opened up many more possibilities and has me very excited about this new aspect of the sport.

See you on the water!

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-25-2019, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjay View Post
Just thought I would come back to conclude the thread. I did go with the bells and whistles - got the Humminbird Helix 8 Chirp Mega SI+ GPS G3N. Im glad I pulled out the stops and got this one. It’s gonna take quite a bit of learning to really get the most out of this thing, but I’m already getting alot out of it. The side imaging is definitely worth it! As my fishing technique and quarry progresses, I am sure this unit will keep well ahead of me in its capabilities.

I went with the pole and beam mount kit from fishfindermounts.com, what an awesome unit. I can quickly switch the whole setup between my Bass Hunter, the 16’ aluminum, and my kayak. I installed kayak style geartrack on all 3 boats and its only a couple minutes to switch boats or pack it away for transport.

Thanks for your input everybody, I appreciate your opinions. Has this unit made me a better fisherman - no. But it has opened up many more possibilities and has me very excited about this new aspect of the sport.

See you on the water!

Good job,

On fishfinders:

Their purpose isn't to make you a better fisherman,

their purpose is to help you to not fish where there aren't any.

Old 10-25-2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Good job,

On fishfinders:

Their purpose isn't to make you a better fisherman,

their purpose is to help you to not fish where there aren't any.
I recently made a video saying the same thing. This guy is doing great with out the equipment. We have to keep our skills keen without the use of extras. With that said, electronic help. For me, I have moved all the way up to live scope and I active fish easier... Still I like to go sans electronics. Mind you, I run fish finders on my boat, all of my kayaks, and my float tubes.

Find cover, find structure. I was talking to an older pro about this at bass pro not too long ago. People who know how to read structure from all of the clues above the water line have less dependency. Skills take time and we just need to do it.

I still will recommend any of the garmin product line. Strikers and up. Just get the features you need.

My fishing and Outdoors channel on YouTube http://YouTube.com/JaimeAstin
Old 10-25-2019, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalArkansas View Post
I recently made a video saying the same thing. This guy is doing great with out the equipment. We have to keep our skills keen without the use of extras. With that said, electronic help. For me, I have moved all the way up to live scope and I active fish easier... Still I like to go sans electronics. Mind you, I run fish finders on my boat, all of my kayaks, and my float tubes.

Find cover, find structure. I was talking to an older pro about this at bass pro not too long ago. People who know how to read structure from all of the clues above the water line have less dependency. Skills take time and we just need to do it.

I still will recommend any of the garmin product line. Strikers and up. Just get the features you need.

It's true, Garmin has pulled to the front of the pack.

Checked out some of the vids.........your'e kind of a conspicuous consumer ain't cha?

Old 10-26-2019, 6:26 AM

Quote:
It's true, Garmin has pulled to the front of the pack.
Nephew just took an engineering job at Garmin in Oregon. I am scratching my head trying to figure out what I need to buy when I take advantage of his 40% off, employee discount. Fish-finder? Dog training collar? Aero rangefinder bow sight? Hmmm.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfisher View Post
Nephew just took an engineering job at Garmin in Oregon. I am scratching my head trying to figure out what I need to buy when I take advantage of his 40% off, employee discount. Fish-finder? Dog training collar? Aero rangefinder bow sight? Hmmm.

With some notable genuine advancements most of the improvements in fish finders over the years were just finding a better way to express sonar hits than the way a "flasher" did.

IMO incorporation of gps is pretty much a necessity unless you have a separate gps (like i do) to relocate once youv'e found something.

That aside check out what Garmin is up to.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/panoptix/

Do i need to add that it ain't cheap?